“Hurry before it's destroyed” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 Attractions in Chimayo
Type: Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: The "Lourdes" of America, where miracles are thought to happen.
Chamisal, New Mexico
“Hurry before it's destroyed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I've been visiting the santuario for 25 years. In the old days it felt like a secret place that you wanted all your friends to know about. Gradually improvements happened like a much needed bathroom and a big parking lot. Then came the niño chapel, a glorified remodel of an old hidden treasure. After visiting a few days ago it hit me that the whole place has a very different flavor. In fact there is a model of the master plan for the area in one of the gift shops. It is to become a disneyland like complex of New Mexican contemporary catholicism for tourists. Go anyway, pee in the modern bathrooms, slip into the santuario for some magic dirt and a peek at the historic interior then eat at Leona's and buy milagros at El Protrero Trading Post.

Grand Canyon, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful but different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I have been going to the The Santuario for about 40 years. I saw a lot of changes since my last visit. There is a little more commercialism than I remember. The Santo Niño church has been totally renovated and, with the exception of the of the communion rail, nothing is left of the original church. It was a little sad but once my father reminded me that I wasn't there for the church but for to visit the Santo Niño, I was happy I was there!

SWUSA_9
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic spiritual and cultural experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

Oh my my - how beautiful and quaint Chimayo Sanctuary is. A trip back in time. Scenic, simple but serene, a nice spiritual experience. The old roads leading in from Espinola give a peek at typical Mexican small towns and homes. Check out the red rock formations on the right leading to it. Holy watertand their holy sand are yours to help yourself to to bring the miraculous powers to family and friends. Nice gift shop run by the church. For those who have always been appalled at the excess of many Catholic basilicas and pilgrimage sites, this one is not frills but distinctive in its elegance and focus on prayer and God's beauty. Go see, you will be blessed! You will also return I am sure.

Huntsville, Alabama
11 attraction reviews
“For Believers and non believers alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

wow what can I say, I am orginally from Albuquerque, NM and I remember walking the walk to the sacred Church many times as a little girl during holy week. haven't been back to the great South West in many years, My Husband and our little girl went back as tourists in July of 2009. I can't beleive we walked that. The road from Santa Fe to Chimayo is long with lots of curves DO NOT SPEED or you will end up on the mountain side. Gas up in Santa Fe because there is no stations in between. There is a nice WInery on the way and it's quite and Oasis in the Desert.

Santuario itself is a very spirtual place, religious or not you will leave feeling light hearted. The History itself is remarkable weather fables or truth its a great feeling being there among all it's holyness, The Church is so old you almost feel as though it will calapse if you lean to hard on it, the Padre is originally from Spain and he blessed a few Rosary's we purchased. His story alone is wonderful to here, he is a very short short man who is quite humorous about his Height. There is a prayer room filled with Crutches and casts where ill people came to pray and be prayed over and left out walking or healed. There is a hole in the ground filled with Holy dirt you are allowed to take. It is said to have healing powers and never goes empty even with all the 300,000 or visitors that take from it.

There are a couple of vendors, bring plenty of water after all you are in the middle of the desert. The drive up there is all desert if you take pictures its a great oppurtunity, it gets greener the farther north you venture up.

Georgia
“A very, very special place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

I have been to Chimayo many,many times and always go to The Santuario de Chimayo. It brings tears to my eyes every time I go. The priest, who is quite elderly gave the most amazing sermon one Christmas Day a few years ago, I will never forget it. I am always awestruck by the "testimonials" of healing. Please go and experience this unique and very spiritual place. The surrounding countryside is so beautiful. I always take home some "healing" dirt, it seems to protect me and my family.