“I love places like this” 5 of 5 stars

Rainbow Inn & Cottages
and 1 more site!
You added Rainbow Inn & Cottages to your Saves list
Rainbow Inn & Cottages
103 Central Avenue, Located At The Intersection Of US Hwys 54 & 380, Carrizozo, NM 88301   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Carrizozo B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“I love places like this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here before visiting the Trinity Site on its recent open day. It's a well run and maintained little motel with friendly and helpful owners. The room was clean and tidy, with both a fridge and a microwave.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I arrived in town around 9 after some road construction detours and delays, and was pleasantly surprised at the price of 42 for the night. The desk person was efficient and friendly, the room was well maintained and clean. Next morning they let me borrow a mini vac to clean the sand out of my car after coming from White Sands monument.
I would definitely stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Skokie, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was the best value on our New Mexico Adventure. It was just where we needed to stop for the night. The room was recently redone and sheets, shower and bed were all comfortable and spotlessly cared for. The room had a fridge and a microwave. The owner was pleasant and available for us to check in early before we went off to explore the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canyon, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Wife and I stayed in Cottage #12 on May 22, 2012, exactly a year after "sfetraveler" did (see their review) and concur fully with their review. The facility was bright and in good repair and very, very clean. Scott was friendly, courteous, and very helpful. While the cottages are rather small (but not particularly claustrophobic) and basic, they were all we needed and were a remarkably good value. We paid less than half what we put out for an AARP room in Roswell, but we slept much better and didn't have to walk or drive more than a block to find food, supplies, etc. (We recommend the Four Winds restaurant -- that's a different story altogether; and don't miss Roy's for a great malt or sundae.) The only thing negative we can think of is the rather small size and capacity of the window airconditioners in the cottages. While we did well (Scott had very thoughtfully turned the unit on before we arrived), the temps hadn't hit high 90's yet. During the afternoons those little cottages are going to get hot! But at night, the a/c worked well, helped by a good ceiling fan. By the way, wife wants me to note that the convenience store across the highway sells canned food you can feed to the several cats and kittens that hang around the area.

Room Tip: Unless you have a tendency toward claustrophobia, try a cottage. But also, if you have children wit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I were returning to Fort Worth Texas after a nice relaxing road trip to Arizona, we arrived at the Rainbow Inn around 10;30 pm and checked in to our room. I have never been to Crash Site 51 but I have been to the Roswell and the UFO museum several times. During the night, our door blew open twice, and after that I found it difficult to sleep, a creepy like feeling while trying to sleep, an un easiness and fear is in the air, that I simply cannot explain. At 4:30 am I woke up abruptly, I felt like there was a hand or like something was walking in the bed ..Aside from the fact that the beds were uncomfortable...I am a perfectly sane person I have a steady job in health care. I was always interested in UFO's wanted to visit the crash site didnt have time this weekend... I would use caution in and around these areas even just to visit who is to say what these "little green men" men from Mars would be capable of being invisible, still hanging out , I dont know .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Super clean and nicely updated (new rugs, shower tile, etc). Friendly staff too. Free wifi, microwave, and fridge. Oh, and plenty of outlets. I ended up staying a couple extra days.

Room Tip: They reserve separate rooms for pets.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Santa Fe NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Carrizozo is not exactly a tourist hotspot but it is a good town to stay in to visit the Valley of Fires Recreation Site (4 miles up the road) and the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site (30 miles away). The folks at the Rainbow Inn are very friendly and helpful. We booked one of their cottages and we loved it, and only $44/night with our AAA discount. The three cottages are off by themselves, although on one of the busy roads at the main intersection in town. The cottage was very comfortable, with bathroom (toilet and shower only), queen bed, small table, 2 chairs, stove top, refrigerator, sink and microwave. It has big windows (some with screens), a ceiling fan and an A/C unit. There is also cable TV and free Wi-Fi. We were confused by the sign posted "Absolutely no cooking in the rooms", but decided those signs must have been for the regular motel rooms. We did not cook in the room, but did use a little propane grill out in the back where there is a large picnic table. There is also a big shared deck up front with another large picnic table. They provide soap & shampoo packets, bathroom/shower/bed linens, but nothing else. Bring your own dishes, utensils, etc. It is across the street from two convenience store/gas stations and a park. Trains go by frequently during the day, but the road traffic and train noise quiet down considerably at night. We would definitely stay there again, but suggest they put a hook up or two in the bathroom.

Room Tip: The cottage was the same price as a motel room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rainbow Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!