Stayed at this place with my partner for a night in early December 2011. We booked in advance (although only 1 week in advance) and they only had one night available so we took it. Paid 35US for a seaview bungalow.
This place meets all my key 5 criteria for a good budget hotel. Namely
1. Hot water (which works)
2. Comfortable bed
4. Air conditioning (not air conditioned but because of the proximity to the beach it was nice and cool)
5. Wifi (although you would need to walk to the restaurant to get it).
In addition, the staff are friendly, the service is good and the restaurant food is nice (mango shakes to die for). The beach DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the hotel is nice.
The beach club isn't located on the main section of long beach. It is essentially around a small headland. It is next to a place called Paris Hotel but the space on it's other side is empty. Although it seems great to be in a place that is 'out of the way' this infers a number of disadvantages, namely.
1. If you want to go drinking at night (which many budget travelers do) you will more than likely have to walk around 1km up the beach to a place like 'amigo bar'. It can be dangerous walking back at night because it is hard to see and on a high tide the water actually covers the beach and you have to walk in mid-calf depth water, which after drinking can be a bit hazardous.
2. Although it seems paradoxical the best beaches in Phu Quoc are those with the most amount of hotels/resorts. This is because all year around garbage floats in from the Gulf of Thailand and for lack of caring/initiative the Vietnamese don't clean it up. Therefore, although the beach in front of the beach club is nice, the beach section next to it (a empty block) is covered in garbage. Also if you go to the other side of the Paris Hotel you will once again have plenty of garbage to greet you.
Would I recommend it to others?
Yes, but note the limitations above. If you want to be on the main drag/can't get accommodation for the length of your stay here and want to still be in budget accommodation there is plenty of other budget options, particularly a cluster of half a dozen hotels on the south end of the beach (just around the corner from the headland you can see from the beach club). These are Lien Hiep Thanh (my recommendation - see my other review), Vien Thang (NOT recommended), another (whose name I can't recall) that is next to Vien Thang, Amigo's (also a bar). NOTE - AVOID THOUSAND STARS which is just next to the headland, it has 2 stars on TA.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach Club is located on Long Beach on Phu Quoc's west coast, and has ten ensuite bungalows and rooms with a beachfront restaurant/bar offering a full menu all day. Activities such as snorkelling and island tours can be arranged through the staff. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Beach Club Hotel Phu Quoc Island
- Beach Hotel Phu Quoc Island
- Beach Resort Phu Quoc Island