“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

From the moment I was met at the airport by a lovely, smiling, friendly Mango Bay staff member, I had a good feeling about this place and it did not disappoint from beginning to end (I stayed a full two weeks). Absolutely everything about Mango Bay is peaceful and beautiful; the pictures on their website don't even do it justice (if that is imaginable). The bungalows (and every single thing in them, from the outside bathrooms to the beds to the furnishings) are perfect and the attention to detail is beyond anything I've ever experienced. The land, the beaches, the restaurant, the bar, the food - exquisite - from the traditional Vietnamese dishes (you must try Cha Ca Ha Noi - delicious!) to the fact that they bake their own bread, outstanding - and the cocktails, Phu Quoc Farmer, yum - thanks Tin!

Mango Bay is a retreat, an exotic and calm place to be with and part of the natural environment. The Wellness Centre, exquisite. The beaches, beautiful. I hired a motorcycle and explored the north (recommend only you're an experienced driver) to visit the small fishing villages and check out a few other beaches and resorts - honestly, nothing better than Mango Bay by a long shot. Worth the road trip if only to see more of the island's culture and villages.

But whether you choose to take a sunset cruise with a small group on the rustic, wooden Mango Bay boat (hugely recommend) or join the sunset yoga classes (heaven) on the beach (both free by the way - but I imagine not for long) you get personalised, honest, friendly real experiences that make you feel part of the culture, part of the Mango Bay family. It was my birthday and they even baked me a cake to present to me on the boat!

I could go on and on about Mango Bay, it is perfect, not an inch away from anything they advertise. Spot on.

But it's the staff that are worth an extra mention (I think almost every review here mentions that fact) Mango Bay staff are honestly and truly happy, and happy to be working for Mango Bay (all 100+) and it shows in every conversation you have and in every smile you receive - I stayed a particularly long time (who really wants to leave paradise when they find it) and I got to know many of the staff by name, who told me stories, and shared laughs and who became my friends - who new me by name (and not because that's their job).

If the rating goes to 100%, I'd give it 200%. If the stars go to 5 stars, I give it 6 stars.

I won't stay anywhere else on Phu Quoc than Mango Bay, and if I ever visit another tropical island anywhere I would only hope to find a resort and an experience as perfect as this.

Thank you everyone at Mango Bay - don't change a thing!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
mickietravels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The resort is a perfect combination of rustic and luxurious. The bungalows feel exotic and the furnishings inside feel like a boutique hotel. It is definitely a romantic setting, but there were several groups of friends (like me and my friend) staying at the resort. The staff was excellent and always made sure our stay was as we wanted it. Small issues with the room were resolved immediately. We were picked up at the airport and warmly greeted by the property manager. We only stayed a couple of nights so we didn't venture off property, but there seemed to be plenty to fill your time and the staff would help arrange tours and other activities. The spa was incredibly relaxing and the staff was exceptional. The food was delicious and catered nicely to Western palettes while including a large selection of Vietnamese dishes. One thing to note - If you've been traveling throughout Vietnam and eating a lot of street food, the restaurant prices may seem a little steep. However, I felt the prices were reasonable and fairly set for the quality of food we received. I loved the beach and the beautiful, peaceful setting. The beach was clean, which can't be said for some of Mango Bay's neighbors. But I will mention the beaches are smaller. If you're expecting long white sand beaches, you may be disappointed.

All and all, I loved my time at Mango Bay and recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I were recommended by our friends to book Mango Bay during our stay in Phu Quoc Island. Upon arriving at the airport we were picked up by the resort’s arranged transportation and taken directly to the resort. We were greeted by friendly staff and introduced to the resort’s offerings and our bungalow set-up. The first impression was an immediate reflection of the rest of our stay.
Throughout our stay it became clear that all of the staff offered very friendly and excellent service. The resort’s Assistant General Manager Charles even offered to accompany us on a scooter ride around the island. Even though it was his day off and he had errands to run, he was still excited to show us some of the cool places on the island that an offered tour would not be able to make it.
While we did manage to rent a scooter for two days during our stay the majority of our time was spent at the resort. It was hard to find reasons to leave! The food was delicious and even had guests from other resorts coming in to eat right next to the water. We strongly recommend Mango Bay to people that are looking for a peaceful get-a-way from the mainstream part of town and if you want to take a trip into town the resort offers a shuttle service.

Sorry for the very late of putting up a review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
West Mids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

No phones no TV no air con this was definitely and eco friendly paradise. Beware the rooms are very pen in as much as the doors and windows are slatted so you need plenty of Deet 50 however the staff do pull the mosquito nets down at night and light burners to kill the mosquitos. Not always effective though...we shared our room with 4 fab Gecko's that chirped during the night..we loved it ..if you tackle the mossy's well the ants may get you they bite

The beach for the hotel was unspoiled white sand , not very long at this resort but long enough not feel over crowded. There is a beach bar and if you feel in need of a drink or snack you can wave a white flag and the staff will come to you .alternatively if you ant get of your sunbed to stretch your legs you can eat at the tables in front of the beach bar in the shade of the sun brollys. There were activities if you wished to be energetic and the hotel provide Kyaks and snorkel gear also some bicycles ...I snorkelled however being a scuba diver was disappointed as the house reef was almost dead and very few wish populated it ..I was also told that the diving itself is poor an option to go out and do tis was available but at an added cost obviously..

Breakfast was included in out tariff which was plentiful and had a great selection for appetites. As this was our last few days at the end of our 3 week honeymoon we elected to be super lazy as having been to Saigon, Siem Reap ,Bangkok ,Phenom Phen we wanted chill out time so we didn't leave the resort and ate in the restaurant which had a great selection of dishes to offer including local Vietnamese dishes that were wonderful

Room Tip: If you can do as we did and go for a the accommodation that is detached as you get your own sun deck...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Mango Bay and would have loved to stay 5 more.

It is an excellent resort. The management team are involved in a hands on way and you can tell they want to make sure you enjoy your stay. This flows down through all the staff whom we found to be top notch. Everything has been thought off, beach bags, a torch and incense sticks provided in the room, water and a scoop to clean your feet outside each bungalow, a library of books. The restaurant is excellent. Beautiful beach in front of the hotel and an activity centre to supple kayaks, footballs, snorkelling gear etc.

This place might not be for everyone, the rooms are open to nature and you will be joined by visitors each day, we had a resident gekko. It's also far from town. In saying that it was just what we wanted after hectic travelling around Vietnam.

Sakura restaurant is very good and cheaper than the hotel. It's a 10 min walk from the hotel so bring a torch - there is no street lighting!

Overall an excellent resort, highly recommend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We just got back from Mango Bay resort today and it was so hard to leave. The philosophy behind the resort : conservation, wild life monitoring, eco principles, support for the local community , is admirable but the whole ethos of the place radiates happiness. Everyone is lovely , the transport from the airport is free , they provide snorkels, kayaks, loads of board games.The beaches are beautiful ( they have two) and I must have seen at least 50 different kinds of fish , including cuttlefish, on and around the reef. The coral looks dead but spend a bit of time drifting over the seaweed and you can see a brilliant range of fish. Really great staff , great massages and the accommodation is simple, in a luxurious sort of a way, but utterly delightful.

Room Tip: The pavilion rooms with sea views are the best
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pomona, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

My daughter and I spent a week here and it was divine. We enjoyed the spa treatment the cooking lessons and the environment to relax in. Would recommend it to anyone wanting to find a hideaway to relax. The different bungalows were awesome.

Room Tip: Down near the beach is best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mango Bay Resort? Share your experiences!