“Good way to unplug and unwind.” 4 of 5 stars

Tropicana Resort Phu Quoc
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Trang Hung Dao 100, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Melbourne, Australia
“Good way to unplug and unwind.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

So when we booked our beach view bungalow we immediately amused from the pictures that we would be right on the beach. The bungalow did have a view of the sea, but the beach view was blocked by the bungalows in front of us. I was also surprised to discover there was no TV or wifi in the rooms. However this all became unimportant once we settled in and made our way to the beach to check it out and have a swim. Even the lack of hot water in the shower was over shadowed by the beauty of this place and I began to find the lack of these so called necessities a blessing. I was able to literally unplug myself from the world and just start to really enjoy myself by being immersed in this paradise. The bar/restaurant staff were friendly and hiring a scooter from the hotel to explore the island is still one the highlights of my trip. If you are wanting full luxury then this resort probably isn't for you as their are much more luxurious hotels up and down the beach. But the section of beach out front this hotel is one of the best in my opinion. I think the charm of this place far out weights its downfalls and if you can look past its negatives you can have a excellent time here. I loved it

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

...stayed 3 days in a double bed w/mosquito net, cold water shower, fan only room w/breakfast @ US $25 per; and it was fine, got exactly what I payed for! Free transportation to/from airport, used pool every morning & night, internet in lobby evenings and toured island daily north & south on back of a motorbike. Ate @ Nemo, night market & Pizza OI. Walked beach, took great sunset, fishing harbor and market pictures. This was an R&R without complaints. Didn't have to worry about pricey accommodations paying for non-working A/C and malfunctioning hot water heaters and the mired of problems, real and imagined, that some tourists seek to terrorize resort staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

This place is old and untidy. Just to see the unkept garden is distressing. And its price is like of a good hotel. We had a reservation for two nights and we had to pay them at check in. After the first night we left the place despite that, because we could not waste one more night there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Rats in the room, terrible service, way too expensive...
We left the Tropicana in a hurry after three days due to rats in the hotelroom. This being a health hazard, we changed the hotel and checked into a new room without rats... the rats were there on a daily basis because we found their excrements/merd in the room. The wooden construction above the bed (see fotos) had apparently only one use: to catch the excrements/merd from the rats hanging around in the wooden roof. Throughout the whole of hotel-complex we would find many holes also deriving of the rats. Breakfast is rather poor - you could choose from one roll with either marmalade or egg, not both. Also with one cup of coffee. For a second coffee or a roll you´d have to pay. The restaurant-personnel wasn´t able to handle the job well and very rude. Room-service was untidy. Once we experienced two room-maids being in the room for about 4-6 minutes making the beds and moving dust from one spot to another. Our expectations weren´t met... something we didn´t expect for 115 US-Dollars per night.

Room Tip: worst hotel we had in whole laos/cambodia/vietnam
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chengdu, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Nice resort with private beach, restaurant, pool, security guards and a nice garden. The food in the restaurant is good but a bit expensive for some dishes. The breakfast has to be improved a little, not a lot of choices. wi-fi is weak, resort could also doing some works for the facilities especially the shower...but still It's a good one, staff are really helpful, smiling and some of the staff speak a good English. possibility of renting motorbike (150000D) per day. Don't hesitate to bargain with the boss! ;p

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Location can't be better but lack of investment and sadly partly run down, don't justify the cost it looks to be about double of what seam to fair.

Staff in general looks to be good, but missing some skills and a eye for details,

Pro tip, food might cost a bit more then you expect, and servicing are small.

If you want a sunbed better get up early, only have a about 8 it looks like

Room Tip: Don't spend extra money get a View, or be on the beach, to many mosquitoes to use in the evening...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Disclaimer: I am what you consider a "city-girl". I like my accommodations clean and bug-free. If you are rustic or into nature, you probably will like this hotel more than I did. Much more.

After reading review after review, I decided this "resort" (seems they are getting pretty lax with the usage of this word these days...) was our best option. It has great reviews, so I booked it.

The free airport pickup was great, and checking in was fast. They took us to our garden bungalow, which was smallish, but that's expected for a bungalow. The shower was very basic. Toothpaste/brushes, and some shampoo for people that have dyed black hair (um..thanks, but no thanks). The toilet opposite of the shower head, the whole bathroom getting wet when you shower. Normal for asia standard bathrooms, I suppose.

The first night was fine. The bed was clean, and the mosquito net helped us not get eaten alive. However, it was the second day that did me in. When we got back in the afternoon after snorkeling, we found a huge lizard in our hotel. Okay, great, whatever. We swept it outside. Then, not even a minute later, there was a huge bee (not your typical north american bee, this was triple the size) flying around. We asked the front desk to come spray it or get it out. The worker assured us that asian bees don't sting, but he was able to get it out nonetheless. After he left, we saw a humongous spider crawling on our wall. A spider the size of a grown man's hand. While my fiance was out looking for the worker again, I found a large black beetle crawling on my backpack. The man came and assured us that Vietnamese spiders don't bite. (This was starting to get humorous) At this point, I was literally on my phone trying to book a different hotel, when he asked if we wanted to switch to another room. We decided we'd try it.

After we switched rooms (this one had an actual enclosed shower, too!), we were much better. There seemed to be a baby mosquito dwelling in our bathroom, but that was fine since we had mosquito repellent on.

I hate to say these things about this hotel, because the staff was very accommodating, and the beach access was wonderful, but I think people should know what they're getting into. The rooms are not 100% enclosed, and the amenities aren't good. The decor is very outdated and either stained or chipping away. The breakfast is a bit boring (A choice of omelette or a couple of other things). For the price we paid, I was left disappointed and will look elsewhere next time.

I think this place could have great potential with the location it has. It just needs to be majorly renovated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an enclosed shower, if you can.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropicana Resort Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!