“Beautiful resort in a tranquil location” 5 of 5 stars

Vung Bau Bay, Cua Can Village, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Announcement
FREE YOGA LESSONS
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful resort in a tranquil location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Admittedly Bamboo Cottages isn't for everybody (thank goodness!), but it was absolutely everything my boyfriend and I were looking for during our visit to Phu Quoc in January. Having survived the craziness of Hanoi we were looking for a place to chill out and relax away from the crowds and simply do nothing for four days.

The resort is on the north of the island a fair way a way from the main town so you pretty much have the beach to yourselves. There is one other resort in the bay but the bay takes around 45 mins to walk from one end to the other so its pretty much as private as you can get. the whole resort has an incredibly chilled out, relaxing atmosphere with soothing indie tunes playing softly in the lobby and warm and welcoming staff ready to help you with any request. Think yoga and swedish massage on the beach after a gentle paddle round the bay in a kayak or a snorkel session rather than cheap drinks and partying which can easily be found elsewhere.

It's worth noting that as you are far from any other life you are likely to eat and drink at the resort only. Food and drink are comparatively expensive here and the choice is fairly limited however we really enjoyed all our meals. They have a really good set menu for 140,000VND for lunch and 200,000VND for dinner which were always brilliant.

Other travellers photos are pretty accurate and give you a good idea of what the rooms are like. I find other peoples reviews complaining about beds and cleanliness unsurprising but somewhat petty. I found the beds perfectly comfortable - all beds in Vietnam are hard - and the rooms were perfectly exceptably clean. The bathroom is partially open air so insects may be more prevelant in the summer but I shared my shower with nothing more grizzly than a gecko.

I would thoroughly recommend Bamboo cottages to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing time with sun, sea and sand. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have struggled with how to rate this place. I have been on tripadvisor for a few years now, and I have matured in my approach to how I review places. I used to never give 5 star ratings because I don't believe perfection is attainable. Myopic, I know. Now I give a place 5 stars if they do what they claim to do. This place comes close. First the good. I pay attention to details. In some aspects I feel they do as well,sometimes even exceeding expectations. 1. Customer service. I wanted to adopt/marry/hug/learn from most of the staff. LOOOOVED them. Awesome human beings. There was a…vibe, or energy there of openness and kindness that I have never experienced in a hotel before. I believe it starts with the owner, and radiates through the staff and on to the guest. 2. A lot of small touches, that made things nice, like the repurposed wine bottles used as water bottles, the handkerchiefs that were napkins (I'm going to steal that idea for my house). The staff addressing you by name, the family atmosphere that they fostered…I could go on but there are character limitations. Now for the reason why I took off a star. Cleanliness. There were cobwebs in the restroom at reception, and in my room the entire time of our visit. The mosquito net in my room was dirty, as were the walls. On their website they say that there have a "positive impact on the environment", but the beach was never raked or even properly policed during my entire visit, and there was rubbish (not like in a dump, but more than you would have in your yard at home) around the entire grounds. It's an awesome location with awesome people…there shouldn't be rubbish strewn about the property. I find that unacceptable. Also, at a hotel at this price point, I feel breakfast should be 'free'. We all know that there is no free breakfast, but other similarly priced places on the island have imbedded the price in their room price…which leads me to another point. I felt like I was being nickeled and dimed, at ever turn. Water $.75 (which actually, I believed they credited me in the end), kayak rental…I would rather pay extra a night and not be hit with extra charges. And lastly, simple things like adapters…I needed a three prong adapter and the front desk didn't have one. I had to share one with an extended stay guest/consultant/yoga master/awesome dude. Again…its the small things. All that being said, I still give it a four star rating which is very good. I feel that this place has the potential to be off the charts, that is why I took the time to write this novella.

Room Tip: opt for an ocean view room if its available, but there are no bad rooms there.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Room has no hot water, no air con, the fan not working, electricity off after 10pm, poor mattress, food selection very limited. The only nice thing is the location with a nice beach view. This place needs lots of improvements!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at bamboo cottage for 4 nights and found it to be the perfect unwind. Cottages right on the beach with all you need. this is the kind of holiday you take when you want to get back to nature and simplicity. There is no p[ool as you you the most beautiful beach that goes on for ever There is no five star as you become one with yourself and your surroundings and you just don't need that kind of interference.
Do yourself and your family a favor and enjoy time together with the perfect back drop.

Room Tip: come here when you want to unwind and relax. enjoy the staff and yummy food . no pool or fitness c...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My Girlfriend and I hadn't booked anything before arriving to the island-but we had done some online research before and had decided to check Vung Bau resort and bamboo cottage. At the end we decided to stay here despite the higher price and it was all worth the little higher price-the place is a true little secret oasis with a nice beach and a super chilled and cozy resort where it feels like being at someone's home. There is a great personal touch to everything and the staff are always smiling and helpful ensuring that you feel like home when staying with them. I can absolutely recommend the place, especially if you seek a getaway from all the noise and pollution of most places in south Vietnam!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

A relaxing place far from the crowds . The owner happened to be present and used to light up the night with his brand of songs -- he is a good host and wants to learn Indian Songs !! The staff (only a few speak English ) are always around to help . Breakfast is OK , but the food options are not so great . Go to a neighbouring property for better food options and cheaper massage .

Room Tip: All cottages are the same
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Beautiful cottages, super laid back an elegant border line spartan.Phu Quoc Island - This island is South West of SGN right next to the border of Cambodia. It is best to fly here although you could go overland & ferry. The west coast of the island is more developed with many small, sleepy resorts and a nice beach. This is by far the most quiet. There are many restaurants but they were all empty when we went (maybe it was the slow season??) There is a night market with some decent food in the small town near the airport. If you want isolation and quiet, this is probably the best place to go. The beach is just meh. like most beaches in Vietnam, its full of plastic and trash, but the resort does a good job at cleaning the beach in front of the cottages. if you are coming to Phu Quoc to snorkle, maybe go somewhere else. The water is seldom clear and there is no reef with coral. The food was good and not very expensive, the staff was kind. Overall it was a nice romantic escape. A word of caution, my wife was stung by some weird insects and the bites blistered, bring stuff to deal with insect bites. We rented a motorbike and cruised the island around, that was very cheap also and kinda cool

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bamboo Cottages & Restaurant? Share your experiences!