“Would stay again” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Ranch   |   Tran Hung dao Street, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Hong Kong
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We found this to be a sweet little hotel and good value. The hotel has a beachfront location where there is a small breakfast area and a bar with a pool table.

Our only complaint which we figured likely goes with the area is that we had booked a 2 bed air conditioned hut but were given a simple hut with no aircon and just one bed. Only after we questioned this did the management mention that we could move to the next day.

Room Tip: Air con cottage near the beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chongqing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We didn't have a terrible time, but the place really is a crap hole. The beds and sheets were clean and there is AC, a fridge and TV (with good English programming). The fixtures were broken, cobwebs and ants everywhere, only one outlet for fridge and TV so you have to take your pick.

The breakfast service was exceptionally slow, but the baguettes and coffee were quite good. Bar seemed to always be closed and on the rare occasion it was open the service was very surly.

The location on the beach is excellent with a few good restaurants across the street and only a 15 minute walk to the night market. They also have scooters for $7.50 per day which is a good deal. view from the beach is AMAZING, but they only have around 10-12 lounge chairs, so if you didn't have your spot claimed by 9am, you are left with a seat in the sand.

In general, I would give the Moon Resort 3 stars if it weren't for the €*#%¥ing dog. What moron decided it was a good idea to keep a barking dog at the entrance to the hotel. The dog kept us up at night and awakened us every morning.

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The bungalows are a lot nice than you'd think when you walk into this place. They have a dodgy gravelly road ( very dark at night) and it's not exactly the best landscaped place. However, the bungalows have adequate beds, air con and bathroom (very basic bathroom).

Our big problem was here was lack of breakfast for our tour group and also a dog (which is obviously owned by one of the hotel staff) which barked all night and was very loud. This means for me i'd never be back- it's ridiculous they would allow a noisy dog to live outside the villas. Really silly in fact.

There is beach access but there was no drinks or food available due to the Tet holiday.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I was out and about mostly but when I was in I slept comfortably and found everything perfectly adequate, and good value for a pricey beach. The best rooms are actually up the back, great wifi and quiet at night. The beach front umbrellas and bar are just charming, and the guests were mostly all very nice. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Amsterdam, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We where staying 3 month in Moon Resort. We liked it a lot.Ok there where rats (I never have seen one) I could hear them.But rats are everywhere The place is beautifull located, right near the beach. The bar and restaurant are on the beach. If Huy will handlle the bar without his mother it will be a paradise.Also Yen is very nice
If the place was crab we will never stay there for 3 month.We came in sep2012 off season and left in dec when season started.We have no complains what so ever apart from Huys parentsThey think too much about the money. The dogs where lovely. You cannot compair it with Europe thats why it is Vietnam. We will go back again Ingrid Eddy

• Stayed September 2012
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The resort in itself is very nice but the rooms are really cheap. Our room looked a bit dingy, there were dozens of crushed mosquitos on the wall, not a single table or nightstand, we had to make up the bed ourselves, the bathroom was almost out of use, and the wi-fi was down.

Do NOT book a bungalow with seaview, you'll end up in a brick house with view over the restaurant's roof, but no seaview at all.

And the beach reeks of sewers, we couldn't stay there for more than 15 minutes.

Last but not least, there are buildings under construction on both sides of the resort, so you get awaken at 7 AM by the sweet sound of jackhammers.

Good restaurant and bar, very friendly staff (though not often at reception when you need them).

I'm not a picky person concerning hotels, but I've seen way better and cheaper throughout Vietnam. If you're used to youth hostel, you'll enjoy it. If you're looking for a nice romantic resort, book some place else !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Svendborg, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

It's a natural basic acommodation option. Phu Quoc is an expensive island and 20 dollars the cheapest at the beach
The rooms are acceptable, staff friendly and restaurant/bar facilities are quite good.
Even though I have some things to point out in this review, though I don't feel they make the standard for a resort on this price range.
The reception closes at 6pm which makes it difficult to communicate with the staff if you have questions. I asked the owner why and he told me that nobody has questions after 6pm - hmm... the staff often sleep in the hammock outside the reception so that you'll have to wake up the receptionists to talk to them.
Another thing that annoys me badly, is that you have to tell them if you want them to clean the room. And when I finally had it cleaned they didn't wash the floor - only swept it, and they forgot to lock my door so all my belongings were free available for everybody who would like to enter my room when I was at the beach. When I told the receptionist about it, he just told me that it was safe not to lock the door like if it a normal procedure. And how can it be safe when they're all sleeping in hammocks during the day?
For a big resort like this with tour trips, restaurant and bar, it surprises me how weak they are at talking together. If you order food in the restaurant you can pay in the bar later and also the other way around. But I experienced many times that they wanted me to pay for my food in the bar, though I already paid upfront in the restaurant.
Many things are really annoying here. They charge you pretty well for everything, and for a resort on this price range you would expext more luxury and profesionality - but that's not what you get. You'll only get a basic acommodation with an unprofesional staff surrounding you.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Moon Resort? Share your experiences!