“Jungle paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phu Quoc Island
Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
You added Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort to your Saves list
Ong Lang, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Jungle paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Freedomland is truly wounderful - the jungle setting is magic, the food is delicious, the owners and staff deliver excellent friendly service .... you won't find a more amazing place to stay! I enjoyed the shared meals, the private bungalows, the geckos, frogs and friendly dogs, the outside showers, the great choice of dinner music, the comfortable bed, the relaxing lounge area.... and especially the people from Freedomland and Phu Quoc Island!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was my fifth time to Phu Quoc and the island's gone from a couple flights a week to several a day, including giant airplanes. And so many resorts. So I was all ready to talk about how it was overcrowded and not the same charming place. But, wow, Freedomland kept Phu Quoc as my favorite Vietnam getaway. They're really smart about being very clear up front about the downsides (if you consider these things big downsides): no aircon, no hot water (in the fantastic, private outdoor shower.. made using a coconut as the shower head.... loved it!), not directly on the beach (but a pleasant 10 minute walk to a fantastic private beach, with chairs and umbrellas all set up, which we had all to ourselves). The communal dinner is also a brilliant part of the total package. You do pay extra for it, but it's part of the total package in that, since Freedomland is a bit secluded, it makes sense to just stay and do dinner there, and then dinner is a 3-hour long affair, where you meet a lot of fun travelers, and get a really great multiple course meal. We did the communal meal three nights and each one was very different and really cleverly conceived. And Peter and Rita are really fun, consistently entertaining, but still careful and aware hosts.

We were me, my wife, and our 3-year-old son, and definitely recommend Freedomland highly for family travelers. While it's not on the beach, there's sand throughout the resort area, so it was like one huge sandbox. Some issues with mosquitos, but they sold us some spray for $1 and that took care of it. The beach was also perfect for a little guy who had been too scared to get in the water. It's very shallow until you get really far out, so really easy for little kids. As in many places in Vietnam, the staff was also great with him, often stopping to play a bit.

Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My young daughter and I stayed at Freedomland for a whole week and could have stayed for a month. This relaxing homestay set in beautiful countryside is only a short walk to the beach and is hosted by a lovely couple, Rita and Peter.

Approximately 18 bungalows with outdoor bathrooms are discretely positioned to ensure maximum privacy for all guests. Unless you actually go for a walk over the raised wooden walkways, you'd hardly know they were all there. The shady communal setting of the bar, restaurant and reading area has a really friendly ambiance and encourages conversation among the guests. The highlight for us was the communal dinners where Peter amazingly conjured up a five course dinner every night. Although he claims not to be a chef, he is definitely talented in the kitchen because the meals were truly gourmet. Twinkling fairy lights hung in trees overhead the long table as guests chatted, laughed and swapped travel stories, although mostly we were "ooohing" and "aaahing" at the plates put in front of us.

All the staff are incredibly friendly and tried really hard to please. Some days we were happy to laze around the place and just enjoy the atmosphere with other guests; on a few other days Peter kindly organised day trips for some of us to explore the island. We were never bored,

The cabins, although basic with fans, mozzie nets and no hot water (but who needs it?) are really comfortable. The outdoor bathroom with a mango tree in the shower area was fun to use, they even had a coconut shower head.

We're already thinking of going back for more but will have to wait for Peter and Rita to return from their own well-earned break and re-open in July.

Thanks guys, you made the last week of our long holiday truly memorable.

Jan and Georgie

Room Tip: Try the lime milkshakes, they're delicious. Add a dash of Malibu and they're even better!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Graz, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We planned to spend some days relaxing on Phu Quoc after backpacking Vietnam for three weeks. First we wanted to choose one of these fancy resorts but I am very glad that we decided otherwise!
The property is built with love in the detail, the bungalows are large, clean and welcoming.
Rita makes amazing cocktails and I had the best food ever at the communal dinners where Peter was cooking for us!

I must admit that I first thought that "communal" dinner, etc. is contradicting to romantic days and more of this backpacking thing. I also had to think of the movie "the beach" BUT it was neither of that! I would even spend my honeymoon there if I could!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you are a Saigon settler there is no better place to go than Phu Quoc islands and stay at this "Gourmet" Hostel retreat place. The setting is perfect, you have your own private and simple bungalow to relax but the common areas are specially created for the "nomads" to talk. The dinners are simply fantastic, so good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Despite 48 hours of travel to get back home to Boston, our 6 days and night on Phu Quoc were completely worth it. Not just because of the gorgeous beaches or the perfect tropical climate, which are already two keys to an island vacation, but because of our unique and wonderful experience at Freedomland. Everything at the resort was perfect for us as a young couple on a budget taking a much needed vacation - from the friendly owners and staff to the other foreign travelers to the comfortable atmosphere of the resort. Not to mention the AMAZING, and I mean amazing food. I read many TripAdvisor reviews on Freedomland before we booked our 6 night stay there, and most of them talk about the food, but I had no idea that the food was going to be THAT good. Gourmet 5 course artistic creations of deliciousness is what we had every single night we were there. It was definitely the best vacation food I’ve ever had, and my significant other and I LOVE good food and going out to eat. Peter took a great deal of pride and effort into making each meal perfect, and making sure that we were satisfied with the food. On the last night we were there, he was even willing to change the menu for us so that we could have our favorite appetizer. Peter and Rita are fantastic owners who gave us their honest recommendations on what to do around the island apart from lounging on the beach, which I was incredibly glad to do for 6 days straight. However, as many of these reviews mention, this is certainly not a place for everyone, which Rita and Peter make sure to tell everyone before you confirm your booking, but it was a perfect place for us. The bungalows are pretty rustic, and the showers are outside and there is no hot water – which were all things that did not really bother us and probably contributed to our unique experience at Freedomland. After spending a great deal of quality time together with my significant other in the mornings and afternoons on the beach (which was a 15 minute walk in 95 degree weather, one slight downside although I looked at it as good exercise!), we appreciated the communal dinners and getting to know the other travelers who chose to visit an undiscovered charm like Phu Quoc, and who chose to stay at a place like Freedomland. If you enjoy beautiful beaches, incredible dining masterpieces and a communal, friendly, comfortable atmosphere, COME TO FREEDOMLAND!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Rita and Peter - Congratulations on hosting your first wedding at Freedomland. What can I say -
food, staff, food, bar, food, service, food, massage, food - just amazing. My mouth waters every time I view the pictures of our many feasts. You made everyone feel at home with your friendly, laid back attitude, but still managed the professionalism that really showed through. I can totally recommend this beautiful setting for anyone who is looking for a unique wedding with a difference or somewhere very special just to relax and enjoy the best cuisine I have ever tasted. Thanks Rita, Peter and staff for making our week with you so memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort? Share your experiences!