“A Special Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Phu Quoc Island
Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort
You added Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort to your Saves list
Ong Lang, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
London, United Kingdom
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Freedom Land (two words on their sign outside the front gate) is special for what it is and what it's not. What its not is conventional luxury. This is not 5 star place with all the amenities. No pool, not "on the beach", not great wifi and not even any hot water.. So why a five star rating? I think there's a new kind of luxury which comes from authentic experiences shared with great people and great food. Yes, the food. How extraordinary to have world class outstanding food - served in the middle of a jungle - where no one is wearing shoes, and the most formal attire is a tee shirt? How incredible! And the shared table - long and sociable - provides a wonderful opportunity to meet others from across the globe - making a trek through S.E. Asia. Doubtless without the two proprietors insisting, as they did with me when I called for a reservation that, "this place might not be for you" and thus weeding out the people who wouldn't appreciate such a place, maybe the experience wouldnt have been as good. I totally LOVED the food - and each day it was a magical treat. And Peter and Rita, the owners/managers were always welcoming and helpful. The beach - about 10-15 minute walk is quiet, pristine, wonderful. Not much going on - and taking a day or two or more to read, relax and as my French friends say - enjoy, "le plaisir de ne rien faire" (the pleasure of doing nothing) is part of the luxury which this place does have. Not to mention the free bikes on offer.. which i used to take a tour of the northern half of the island - which had me going for some 6 hours including an unscheduled invite by some fishermen to join them for lunch - free - (another luxury?) on the one end of another incredible beach - deserted yet obviously teeming with fish. So, I'll definitely go back and hope the island remains less developed than other parts of S.E. Asia. Bravo to the owners and thanks for the good times.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are about the same - though some are larger or smaller. Get the size that fit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This place is special. When we first arrived at freedomland we weren't sure what to expect, we'd only booked for 2 nights. After 1 night we knew we wanted to stay longer, but so did everyone else! We went north for 3 nights and then came back to freedomland for another 7 nights. The evening meal was a delicious surprise, 4 or 5 courses, most nights, of creative delightful cuisine. All guests seated around a communal dining table, each meal a delight under the stars. During our 10 nights, due to existing bookings, we stayed in 4 different bungalows, each unique and each beautiful. We love every single one, we love the open air showers in the bathroom in particular. The central area has good wifi and is great to chill out in the evenings. The walk to the beach is easy, its a nice walk, and at around 12 minutes we needed the walk after all the delicious food. The beach is so peaceful, clear water and a long stretch of white sand with only a few of Freedomland's very tasteful choice of umbrella's and deck chairs on the beach, lunch can also be delivered to the beach at no extra charge. The crisp white bed linen and towels were changed regularly, and beach towels were provided, the bungalows were cleaned frequently during our stay. We traveled around the north and down long beach, and we didn't find anything else quite as special as this on Phu Quoc island. It's a peaceful jungle retreat, a short walk from the beach, with great food and service, ..and the best part is the price. Its in an ideal location to visit the town and markets by bicycle, and for exploring the north by scooter, either self drive or with a driver. It's an unspoilt, undeveloped area on the island, away from the resorts. This is a must stay, the hosts Peter and Rita, Vietnamese and Portuguese, are really special people. I've traveled a lot over the past 3 years and I've never spent as much time as this writing a review - we'll be back at Freedomland again this year!

Room Tip: Which ever bungalow you choose, always book a few nights extra than you plan to stay because you wan...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Freedomland in January 2013. We basically decided to go there because of the TA reviews, particularly regarding the food. We were not disappointed, it was (as I tell everyone who'll listen) the best food I've had in my 35 years on the planet. 5 courses each night which were served in a lovely jungle setting at a communal table where you get to meet people from all around the world. The only thing I would say (and this is feedback for Peter & Rita) is that they should knock the seafood hotpot on the head, or else charge much less than for the other meals. It ended up being basically a 2 course meal (as dessert was simply cut up watermelon) for the same price as the 5 course meal. As it was our last meal and we had extended our stay a night based mainly on the food, it was a huge disappointment. And everyone at the table was in agreement that they would have opted out if they knew beforehand what the meal would be. While it is understandable that Peter needs a night off every now and again, I think that instead of having this "easy day" where there is little prep, just take a well deserved day off and leave an a la carte menu for guests so they don't starve!!

Rooms were nice and comfortable while basic, the outdoor bathroom was great in theory (and believe it or not I did actually enjoy the cold showers after a hot day at the beach) but at night there were alot of insects which made it a bit of a pain. Basically it was not a problem for us but for someone who is not good with bugs it would be difficult.

5 stars despite the few small issues. Peter & Rita are lovely people and their dogs Tigo and made the place feel very homey. The staff were really helpful and efficient and the surroundings were beautiful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was at Freedomland with my boyfriend and his parents a few weeks ago and had an amazing experience. We live in Hanoi and it was an amazing break from cloudy skies and cold weather. Everything about Freedomland is perfect. The atmosphere is great, the staff are all lovely, the food is amazing, the bungalows are all very cool in their own way. And something I thought I'd never say, I really enjoyed the outdoor bathrooms. My parents are coming to visit me and I plan to bring them to Freedomland for some of their stay. One of the couples we met at Freedomland were passing through Hanoi last night, we met up for dinner and ended up gushing about Freedomland, and all of our plans to go back.
See you soon Peter!
Jen and Louis

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

stayed 4 nights in a super cute jungle bungalow with shower under the sky. the stuff is very welcoming, kind and truly smiling. Pitter makes good food (perhaps a bit too much....) and Rita helped providing tips. The beach is a short walk, quite and peaceful far away from long beach crowed. One of the stuff is sent when people go to make sure you can get a drink or a snack since there is nothing around but sand and water.
Thank u FREEDOMLAND for a great Tet and a lovely vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here in December 2012 for four nights and each and everyone of them was amazing.

Freedomland offers a experience so far removed for a sterile hotel environment that returning to a regular hotel afterwards only heightens the disappointment of leaving at the end of your stay further.

The bungalows are sparsly furnished with a outdoor bathroom but the beds are comfortable, there is no air conditioning but the bungalows are well ventilated so it is not needed.

The food, as other reviewers and every guest will comment on is first class. Dinner can be 5 courses and lasts in excess of 3 hours, the communal style seating encourages guests to interact and this leads to a real community at the resort, this is what sets freedomland apart from the rest by a mile.

The beach is located around a 10 minute walk from the resort, although I struggled to find it, it was worth the effort as it is completely deserted and the water is both shallow and warm. The resort have peopled stationed here who will bring lunch to the beach for you.

This is one place that I will definitely return to in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jamestown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

If I close my eyes, I can picture myself sitting in common area veranda next to the kitchen prep area. I am sipping on my wonderful Vietnamese coffee as Peter approaches to discuss the evenings dinner. He says he is not a chef, but I must disagree as I spent 25 plus years in a kitchen and never met a more inspired chef. He has many talented people in his kitchen who seem to spend the entire day preparing the communal meal for that evening. We discuss the fresh fish we have in the northeast U.S. and after discussing several types of seafood soups, I could literally see his culinary wheels turning and he has begun to plan the next evening meal in his head! I feel completely connected to Peter and Freedomland.
The setting of Freedomland is harmoniously married to the rural flora and fauna of the Island. A central communal area for dining, relaxing, cocktails, table games or napping. All of the 18 bungalows surround the center on wooden walkways but are completely private as they are integrated into the jungle. Our room had a very comfortable bed with a mosquito net and outdoor bathroom which had the necessary privacy. It also had a small front porch with a large lounging bed/couch and hammock.
Upon booking at Freedomland, they will immediately disclose that they DO NOT have a/c nor do they have hot water in the rooms as well as the omission of televisions. Also, if bugs and animals make you squeamish, go somewhere else. We had no such hang-ups and aside from the roosters propensity to crow before dawn and the very strange nocturnal whistle of the very large Gecko, I never slept better.
Rita, the other half of the ownership of Freedomland runs the front of the house operation of the resort. She helped us plan our day and wasn't shy to give an honest opinion on some of the attractions on the island. Her job is a hard one as like any innkeeper, where she wears many hats for her guests. Rita will help arrange excursions, pour you a drink, arrange a taxi and turn around sit down and have a personal conversation with one of the guests. A talent not many possess.
And although not located on the beach, a short half mile walk through the local forest which straddles the property and the beach reveals one of the prettier stretches of beach on Phu Quoc. Nearly deserted and if desired a short walk will provide you a completely deserted beach. A staff member of the resort sits under a tree with lounges and umbrellas for freedomland guests along with a chest of cold drinks. He also has the lunch menu available that you can have delivered to the beach(get the club sandwich).
The other aspect of the Freedomland setting is the connection you make with the other guests. While we were there, there were several young men and women from france, two women and a child from Holland, a man from Scotland, another from Portugal, two polish girls, a couple from Australia and another gentlemen from Canada. While we came from the United States. What may initially seem potentially awkward especially at a communal dinner almost magically turns into entertaining and interesting conversations lasting long after dinner has been cleared.
Now I will finish this review with the best part of our stay...Dinner. Served communal style to all the guest, it is nothing short of fantastic. We didn't even consider dining anywhere else. Normally, Peter plans a 4 to 5 course meal but on our first night, he planned a cocktail party start to the meal with amazing Tapas and Sangria, followed by a grilled local fish with fresh green peppercorns and lime. A sublime meal to say the least. As I began this review, Peter has a real passion for his food and for freedomland and it has had a lasting impression on me. We cannot wait to return.
Thank you Peter and Rita as your Freedomland has left us both a great memory and inspired to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Freedomland Phu Quoc Resort? Share your experiences!