“Perfect place to relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

You added Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc to your Saves list
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bai Xep, Ong Lang | Cua Duong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam (Formerly Chenla Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Cairns, Australia
“Perfect place to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We came here halway through our holiday of vietnam and cambodia for a bit of down time. This place is amazing, it looks just like the photos. We stayed in the Jacuzzi villa, it is massive. It had a private jacuzzi, day beds, LCD TV, bath, 2 showers (one inside, one outside), speakers which link to your ipod, tea and coffee facilities and a great view.Staff here were so nice and even came into the room every night to sparay for mosquitos and close the curtains.
The spa is great and the massages are not to be missed, so relaxing. The spa and pool overlook the ocean.
This place is perfect for couples, especially for honeymoons.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

We stayed for 8 days with our two young daughters aged 7 and 12. We chose a jacuzzi villa and it was wonderful each day to go back and relax in the cool bubbly water! The rooms were amazing, and I liked the attention to detail in service (setting up the room for the evening with candles, aroma oils etc). We spent most of our daytime on the beach where we could snorkel and there are plenty of fish and coral to see there. In the late afternoon we moved to the fantastic pool. We also made full use of the sporting facilities and excursions. Night squid fishing was brilliant, and a drive around the countryside to pepper gardens and jungle was great. Olga and I also tried scuba diving for the first time and the resort based scuba guys were very good, taking time to train us at our pace and even letting our daughter have a go in the pool. The staff at every level and area were superb. I lived in Asia on/off for 10 years, but for my daughters it was their first Asian trip. Yes the island is undergoing a lot of work & building, and yes Vietnam still has some very run down areas; but that's how it is. I first went to Ko Samui in 1987 and found it similar; where the island was in its early stages of building; but it had character and it was wonderful to be there at that 'building' time. Phu Quoc is similar. I love the people of Vietnam, and everyone in the resort (and others we met on excursions) were wonderful. As for the food, the restaurant manager is from Mexico and the head chef from Italy. So there is quite a fusion of tastes going on in the menu. But again, they were all very friendly, supportive and the food was delicious. All the vegetable and fruit are organic there (organic is cheaper than imported!) and you can REALLY TASTE what fruit & vegetables should taste like (Olga is a dietitian and she was very happy!). It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. A fantastic stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

We stayed here for four nights from 05 march for our honeymoon, in room 205, in the second row of beach rooms (from the pool it’s the third roof, there are only two rows, behind them are the villas). We received many honeymoon perks arranged through our travel agent, such as free mini bar (refilled once each day) every day, a bottle of wine over dinner, free 15 minute massage each – we also had paid massages, which were very professional, about US25-40, still cheaper (just!) than home.

The drive in is very interesting, driving past shacks along gravel roads and red dust roads (bumpy!) we wondered where we’d end up! And felt a bit elitist heading to a fancy resort. It’s about 30 minutes from the airport (20 minutes to town). Wouldn’t want to do it on a motorbike!
We’re pleased we stayed at Chen La for our honeymoon, but we think we’d stay somewhere on Long Beach if we come again – try somewhere different. Nothing against the resort, just perhaps more cheaper as we don’t have a honeymoon as an excuse!

The room
Very airy, light ,clean and modern, with air con (needed, 34 C degrees every day, humid) and a fan (didn’t use it). Bathroom was very clean, and the indoor/outdoor shower was very private and no bugs came in. Free wi-fi also, which we used as we bought a mini laptop along – fast.

The view
We opted not to have a room directly on the beach as it as an extra $100, and we’re glad we didn’t, as during the day there was less privacy as people used the beach. There are cloth sails around each decking, which we used to screen the room opposite, but who wants to block out the ocean view?! Very few people walked past in front, and anyway the path was lower than the deck and shrubs gave enough privacy. It doesn’t look it from photos, but there is plenty of distance between each room in front and to the side, and a half view of the ocean was more than good enough – couldn’t hear the ocean at night though, the sliding door was very thick glass.
Pleased we didn't pay $$ for the villas that are behind the beach rooms up a hill. It was nice to walk out the door and be right on the beach, as it was hot!! Also, there is some construction behind the resort (where the villas are), not sure what, couldn't hear building, but we could just hear the tractors from our room.

The beach
Very secluded, many guests didn’t use it till later in the morning, so early morning swims were nice – sun rises by about 6.45 in march, sets about 6.30 over the pool. The water was very warm, lovely, and mostly clean, aside from a few bits of rubbish and one dead fish I saw! We went to Long Beach as well, and yes the water and sand is a bit more pure there, but equal amount of rubbish (no more than at home), but not much nicer. Every beach is groomed every morning, outside these spots the rubbish is terrible…. No secret strip of beach for a getaway moment!
We used the free kayaks one morning and went around the bend away from town direction, the beach wasn’t nice here, dirty quality, and the water had seaweed in the shore.
The resort was much more intimate and private than at Long Beach, everyone kept to themselves, averted eyes almost!. There were about a dozen young kids at the resort which surprised us, they mostly used the pool the entire day. Long beach still had a lazy feel about it, not hyper or too commercial, just a little busier.

We ate all meals at the restaurant, except for one day. Not worth the 130,000 taxi to town each way, it would cost almost the same price! Meals were expensive, lunch US7-15 each plus 20% service/tax, and dinner US12-30 plus tax, a glass of juice was US3.50. Still cheap by western prices, but the same meal with 2 drinks in town cost 240,000 for two people – about half the price.
Quality was not much better than a good recommended restaurant in town, meat was tough, my pasta was chewy. But it is Vietnam, so we didn’t expect much more.
Breakfast was plentiful, fresh fruits, toast, hot rice, sausages, made to order eggs and pho. But the fruit was bland, flies covered it (served in an open pavilion), and the hot food was never hot (not very effective heating system)
The best meal was a buffet on offer one night to celebrate international womens day; $US 30 pp, or they let you just choose a few items for a similar price on the regular meal. The food was delicious.

Negatives are:
- they didn’t restock the complimentary toiletries, I had to leave a note asking for more combs as I lost them on day trips
- The toilet never had that clean freshly disinfected smell.
- there is a connecting door in the rooms, we were lucky we didn’t have noisy neighbours, but voices did travel a bit as there are only two wooden doors separating the rooms.
- The staff are friendly, but it sometimes come across as ‘anything to please the cashed up tourist’, not as sincere as other places we’ve experienced in VN. English was just enough to get by, which is all we expected.
- many guests appeared to ‘claim’ a beach chair early in the morning, leaving a towel and book there all day even when they’d gone to lunch or to rest in their room. Not a big issue as there was always one free, but they were a mixture of cushion lounges and mesh lounges which weren’t as comfortable. Seemed rude to us.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
toronto, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

We were initially looking to stay at La Veranda but with it being booked 'settled' on Chen La. Upon arrival we were blown away. Our ocean view suite was ACTUALLY 10 steps from the beach and as we relaxed on our hammocks all day the view was incredible. The rooms were spacious, lovely decor and outdoor shower was an added touch. Service was impeccable although the communication barrier could sometimes frustrated any patient soul. Breakfast buffet and restaurant were very tasty and all in all this made us want to book an extra two nights to our already 3 night stay here. Lovely place, truely a gem on this gorgeous little island.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

After 45 minutes down dirt paths full of potholes and craters, my mom and I finally got to the resort. Though the grounds were beautiful, it did not make up for the terrible service we received. Upon arrival, they had messed up our reservation so we had to sit around in the stifling reception for an hour. And that was the easiest part of our stay.
I had to go back to the gift shop several times because there was no one around, even though it was the middle of the day. Finally, someone in reception came and opened the shop for me so I could get some batteries.
My mom and I had a lovely dinner that evening and we chatted with the waiter for a while (my mom and I both speak Vietnamese). We told him that we had a tour leaving at 7:30 am and he told us to come grab some breakfast in the morning. It was free and started at 7am. When we arrived, there was little more than bread and fruit laid out so we quickly downed some coffee and toast then tried to check out. 20 minutes later, with the tour guys still waiting, they finally asked us if we could check out after our tour so they could figure out the bill. I arrived at 4pm and after waiting around for another 45 minutes while they shuffled little papers around and ran around the hotel, they finally handed me my bill, which had an extra $38 in restaurant charges. I confirmed that the breakfast was free yet again so none of us could figure out what the extra charge was. After yet another 15 minutes of paper shuffling and running around they finally told me that it was for breakfast because we booked online and it wasn't included. I booked the hotel on Expedia and it definitely said breakfast was included. Aside from that, the staff told us to come for the free breakfast and to make matters worse, we barely had anything to eat because they weren't ready!
Eventually, I just paid the extra $38 on top of the astronomical hotel bill so I could leave. After over an hour of trying to check out and a long day touring the island I wasn't up to arguing with them any longer.

Aside from this, I will also say that the pool did have water in it but it was full of bugs and leaves. The room was nice but the bed was so tiny that my feet were hanging off the end, and I'm only 5'3! And the hotel is SOOOO remote from anything and everything. The dirty path is the only way in and out of the resort so you are kind of stuck eating at their exceedingly expensive restaurant.

All in all, I would never come back or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009
Ho Chi Minh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Chen La Resort is the perfect getaway if you want luxurious and undisturbed bliss in a beautiful beachside location. It's a well laid-out resort, on a slope running to the water's edge.

The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Yes, it you want to go the whole eco-route and turn off the TV and aircon, you can, as many resorts in Phu Quoc seem to be without and advertise it as a selling point, but unlike those, the choice is yours at Chen La. Free wireless internet in all villas too for those internet fixes. Indoor/outdoor shower plus a very nice verandah on all, with sunken bath and day bed. Makes for a difficult choice whether to laze on the verandah and enjoy the seaview, or take a few strides down to the beach, or head to the large infinity pool overlooking the beach.

The beach itself is blocked at both ends by rocks = no hawkers or people trying to sell you anything, perfect. It's a flat sandy beach that is relatively shallow quite some way out with clear water.

The single restaurant is nice, not an expansive menu but the quality is good. Service is friendly ,with a lounge and bar downstairs at the water's edge to drink at later.

This is not the place to go if you want an action packed holiday. Yes, they have some watersports, sailing etc even scuba diving (fortunately no pesky jet-skis !) and there are the ubiquitous boat tours to do. But for me the attraction was lazing by the beach or the pool enjoying the calm.There is no noise from nearby roads, nor airport, nor speedboats going by. I think I heard the odd dog barking maybe.

I'll most certainly be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Pescara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Before to arrive, I was reading on this blog, that the hotel swiming pool was enable ... I arrived and the SURPRISE was ... the best swiming pool ever seen ... faceing directly the sea in front of one of the most gurgeaus sun-set ever seen.
But saying the truth I did not use it a lot, as even the sea was fantastic.
Spectaculars rooms ... I asked to try for one night the Jacuzzi ViIlas, and never been in such a confortable and dettailed room YOU MUST TRY IT.
I took 2 Kg on weight (I do not know if I have to thanks or not ... Valerio ... the chef)
I will be back in November

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!