“Outstanding on nearly every level” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

You added Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc to your Saves list
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bai Xep, Ong Lang | Cua Duong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam (Formerly Chenla Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding on nearly every level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The architecture and room design is so original down to the final detail. The service is superlative. I simply love this place and am already dreaming of finding a way to come back. The lunches are great…and so is the breakfast…however the dinner smorgasbord was questionable…tartare sauce with indian curry? hmmmmn…and chilli dipping sauce with the japanese tempura? double hmmmnnn however the sushi was great quality seafood…

Even the wine here was good…and that is saying something in Vietnam! Try the chilled red wine for dinner..

Oh the rooms, so many wonderful little ideas…refillable ceramic bottles with corks. The menus are all in handmade wooden folders…the taps are a great design…the huge slate showers…the big old fashioned ceiling fans with their mega Italian old-design dials…the snappy-chic stone statues which make you feel like you are in a ruined temple. I could go on forever.

The double hammocks, the personal attention on the beach…clay tennis courts…out door tiled bath on our verandah…heavenly out look over paradise. AFter a long intense tour all over Cambodia / Vietnam, this is the perfect wind-down

Room Tip: Any room would be great
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear AshleyGlade,

We thank you so much for this beautiful Review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
Our Owners will also appreciate some of your comments as they enjoy so much when our Guests praise their taste and sense of details.

Of course I am copying this Review to our Chefs as your double “hmmmm” is not only fully justified, but can be easily rectified. I still have difficulties to have the right sauce or dipping set with the matching dish! But I am going to get it…. Thanks for highlghting this.

Concerning the how to find a way to come back, to make it really easy: gmcpv@chr.co.th
I’ll take care of everything for the pleasure to welcome you another time.

With our renewed thanks and kindest regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family, including my parents and my brother with girlfriend, have soon spent six days in this resort and are more than impressed with just about everything.
We're spoiled after having travelled on several vacations per year for the past fifteen years and having said that, we must say that Chen Sea beats practically all resorts visited including some very high-end and far more expensive hotels in Mauritius, Africa and Asia.
The service level, although part of the staff are still struggling with the English language, is very good. Everyone in the staff are really trying the best to give you excellent service.
The general feeling is kind, helpful and service minded. They try to find solutions to everything you ask need and ask for.
The food is very good and the spa is excellent. What we also appreciated a lot is the fact that the resort is so small so there is no need to feel stressed about booking tables, booking spa treatments, queuing up for rental of boats or the gym - everything runs smoothly and is easily available.
We rank this as one of the top three hotels we've had the pleasure of staying at and it's definitely on the list of resorts and places to come back to.
Anna, Håkan and Niki Ekström

Room Tip: If you have the possibility, book a Sea View Villa
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Anna E,

Thank you so much for your wonderful and generous Review.
This is so nice from you.
There is this added sweetness to it as we know how hard it has been to be able to welcome you.
I am glad that we managed a little miracle and that you could experience the Chen Sea to its full capacity.
We’ll keep working on our English course program this summer.
Our teacher will return for 3 months and hopefully the communication will be facilitated for our Guests at all levels.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you another time and you know the key, smile….
With our most sincere thanks and kindest regards,
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our family enjoyed 10 perfect days in the paradise that is Chen Sea Resort on Phu Quoc Island. Close to the airport, yet isolated from the hub of the island, this resort was magical beyond words.. From the pool to the beach, from the villa to the dining room we all had the most incredible time. The kids (ages 8,10,12) could engage in boating, hobie cattying, snorkeling and tennis which kept the adventure alive. The infinity swimming pool was just perfect. With just 36 rooms the resort never feels fully occupied. We rode bikes as a family to nearby Mango Bay for another fabulous adventure. The breakfasts (Pho in particular) provided a beautiful start to the day. The staff (from top to bottom) were exceptionally friendly and helpful. All in all a brilliant and highly recommended Asian treat..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Luanne A,

You are so kind, and we thank you so much.
The most beautiful part of what you say is the fact that the whole family loved their experiencing of the Chen Sea.
You would not believe how many couples are coming to us, then close to check out, inform us that they will return with their children.
Then I always ask why they are not with you; the answer is always the same: “We didn’t dare”…..
I hope that your Review will reassure some parents.

I must be honest though, smile…. We have many families coming, and the Parents dream about giving the kids to the grand-parents so to come back as a couple…. And guess what, of course in a Jacuzzi Villa.

Once again, please accept our sincere thanks, it has been a pleasure caring for you.
Kind regards,
Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here after spending a week in Hong Kong and Ho Chi Minh City and loved it. Firstly, if there's only 2 or 3 of you, it actually works out cheaper to get the hotel to pick you up rather than get a taxi from the airport. The airport is brand new and about 15km south of the town so cost us about £15 in a taxi, as opposed to about £10 with the hotel.

I've stayed at several Centara resorts in Thailand, and on this basis I had no hesitation in booking here. It is in a beautiful location, on its own beach, the infinity pool is gorgeous and usually empty, the food is generally very good and the rooms large and spotless, we had a beach front villa and it was beautiful. Large room, dark wood floors, enormous open air shower (keep the bathroom door closed at night for Mosquitos), turn down service and loads of toiletries. However there's just something missing that the other Centaras have. I just wasn't blown away like I was at Centara Bangkok, Karon Beach or Koh Samui. Saying that though, it is a really lovely hotel, it just needs little improvements to make it that bit better. For example, the wooden slats around the pool are a bit green with mildew and the varnish peeling off, as is the walkway. The wardrobe in the room was just a concrete annex with a curtain over it, the beach loungers had wheels coming off some of them, and the beach bar had chairs and cushions stacked up in piles taking up half the bar.

Saying all this, Phu Quoc is a developing island and I understand that getting hold of maintenance equipment probably isn't that easy. However, having travelled around most of the island on motorbike and boat, this is probably the best location and hotel on the island. It certainly has more on offer than where La Veranda is situated.

The important things you need to know are namely food and drink, there isn't a lot of choice, you have the hotel restaurant which will cost you about £40-£50 a night for 2 courses and a bottle of wine. Dinner is excellent and the Sri Lankan head chef will talk to each table every night and ask if there's anything he can make for you. He made us a Sri Lankan feast on our second night, it was about $28 each and included 3 curries, veg curry, rice and accompaniments.

You also have two beach bars next door boasting a fresh sea food BBQ each evening. These are good to relieve your wallet of the burden of hotel prices for a couple of nights, but there's only so much plain grilled fish you can eat, kids running around and dogs barking, not to mention the monkey, before you escape back to the hotel. The beach bars are also not that cheap, 2 courses with a bottle of Vietnamese wine (yes, they have vineyards after French colonisation-obviously) will set you back £15-£20.

We did think about going in to Duong Dong one night, but having spoken to backpackers on my diving trip, they said there wasn't actually anywhere in town to eat or drink other than bars with no lighting, which sounded odd. So I didn't feel we missed out on anything, in fact on the face of it we probably had more choice with 3 eating establishments around us.

There's a little shop/shack by the hotel entrance that sells drinks, cokes, beers and luckily tonic water all for about 30p a can. We were prepared and bought a bottle of Tanqueray at the airport, so had a good supply of cheap beer and g&t. However this seemed to confuse the mini bar boy, who actually took a couple of our drinks from the fridge! We didn't bother to argue for the sake of 60p, but be sure to keep a count of what you put in there.

The shop also hires mopeds, obviously all within strict health and safety laws....they didn't even bother to ask for a driving licence, or deposit, or any guarantee of who we were! The bikes worked though, and we set off for the day. Be aware that if you do go around the island, many of the roads are only half made. The reason being is that between each town the councils can't decide who's responsibility it is to build the "no man's land" bit. This means you'll be driving through gravel and muddy puddles/ditches, so not for the faint hearted. Also, it's total chaos. People driving on both sides of the road, turning at red lights, driving on pavements, you name it. You do get used to it, but it's a bit scary to start with. Also because the roads are so bad it will take you twice as long to travel somewhere, so you'll think you've missed turnings, when in fact you haven't even got there yet. Saying that though, there actually isn't a lot on the island to see. It's like Koh Samui was about 25 years ago, so if you're like us, you'll agree this is the best time to visit before it gets too developed.

During our stay I went scuba diving and used the school the hotel supports. They pick you up in a boat and take you to the dive boat, good equipment, nice dive masters and instructors, lots of little fish but nothing too spectacular. There's a big problem with trying to explain to local fishermen the importance of not polluting he seas with rubbish and also sustainability. Saying that though, it was a good trip and the food (which wasn't advertised as included) was probably the best I've had on a dive boat.

I also used the Cenvaree Spa for a full body massage. Not as cheap as down the road, but the setting was lovely, it was clean and it cost about £30.

I must also mention Miss Phuong, she's the HR manager. She spotted me on a lounger one day, my ankles covered in bites, I think from sand flies on our first evening having sundowners on the grass. Unfortunately they'd got infected and my ankles swollen. Without saying anything she was at my side with the hotel manager and a phone calling a doctor from the town hospital. I'm actually very thankful, they were so bad I was given intravenous antibiotics and a course of tablets. It only cost £20 too, which the hotel paid out of petty cash and then put on our bill.

Overall, we loved it here. Relaxing, beautiful, good food, cheap beer, warm sea and blue skies. Definitely the pick of the island. Visit before Phu Quoc gets too developed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JLCD2010,

Thank you very much for your very nice Review, and I believe that you truly enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
Thank you as well to give so many tips to our Readers.

Pitty I didn’t know about the Mini-Bar story I would have setlled this in no time.

We appreciate your comments as well when it comes to the Diving Center. We are bugging them at the present time to get a little discount for our Guests on the ground that we do not take commission. We are the only one not doing so and our Guests must benefit from it.

The story of the roads is a little bit more complicated than what you say. Not a village fight; it is more a question of what is rational for us and what is the PLAN for the road development on the Island. Likewise the North-South Highway is nearly completed and this is the priority, smile….. So in the meantime it is quite bumpy we could say, but as you say as well, when all this will be done, you will consider the Island over developped.

So you are absolutely right when it is coming to the time fame so to visit Phu Quoc before it gets a bit too much….

I understand your feeling of differences between the Chen Sea and other Centara properties. As per the locations that you named I believe that you went to some of our Centara Grand properties. Us, under the Centara Boutique Collection, we are different, which is part of the brand and the particulars of the Resort. So I understand your reaction, we are not an usual resort, we are different and we cater only for Individuals.
This being said for the little attention on the Maintenance, as said previously in this Forum we were late on our program because of the heavy Monsoon we took for more than 6 months. But now everything has been corrected, though you were right to point it out.

We are renewing our most sincere thanks.
Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had high expectations of the Chen sea because the reviews are so good - in fact, I've never come across a hotel with such a high percentage of positive reviews on trip advisor!! We chose this hotel for 8 nights of our honeymoon and can honestly say it is perfect.

Pros:
- incredible rooms. We stayed in a jacuzzi villa, which was bigger and nicer than our flat in London. Totally private and beautiful interior. If you don't want to splash out on one of these, all the other rooms looked lovely and were right on the beach

- stunning beach and pool. Amazing infinity pool right on the white sand beach! Great selection of loungers, hammocks etc

- delicious food. Breakfast was so good, and all other food also of a v high standard. We loved the Vietnamese dishes, the Italian evening and pizzas by the pool!

- impeccable staff. Everyone was so friendly, and the pool staff were particularly attentive. It was great chatting to GM Olivier and his lovely wife. He obviously does an incredible job of managing the hotel.

- great activities. We decided to take a boat trip to the south of phu quoc, and honestly it was one of the best days of my life!! We went to these completely deserted BEAUTIFUL beaches and two members of staff served us drinks and canapés. In five years I have no doubt these beaches will all be developed, they are so beautiful!!

- excellent spa. It became a running joke with my husband and the staff how often I was visiting the spa! Yes, of course it more expensive than a standard beach-side place, but the therapists are all excellent and the surroundings and music etc are all lovely.

We stayed in 5 luxury hotels in Asia on our honeymoon, including some that are much more expensive, but this was certainly the best.

Phu Quoc is an incredible island - go there before it turns into Phuket!!

Activities we suggest outside the hotel:
- get a moped down to São beach: just stunning!
- pearl farm: I bought some very unusual earrings
- chill out in long beach, esp Rory's bar.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear pammieonbiz, dear Both,

Beside the million thanks that we owe you, because not only your Review is close to “too much”, but because it was so enjoyable to take care of you and bring you the satisfactions that you expected for your Honeymoon, there are some major feelings that are grabbing my “me”, as a famous composer once wrote.

The first feeling is a little self centered one: I cannot hide the pleasure and pride that I have reading your review as it means that we are on the right path for the last two years. I knew that this unique property deserved a great software, that is how we call the service part of a Resort. So I indulged myself in some little personal satisfaction. Furthermore as it was your Honeymoon, we feel that we have a tiny part of it in your souvenir that you will remember on the years to come.

Your choice of selecting a Jacuzzi for your Honeymoon was the right one because of the level of privacy, intimacy and comfort that we provide and that Honeymooners deserve.

The second one is the tricky one. You talk about “A truly perfect hotel” and I have more pride reading this as a Host….. Then I checked where you did stay for your travel. Oh My God!!!! I believe that one has been voted the best Resort in the world not so long ago! So feeling close to those “institutions” is a privilege but a huge responsibility. And you said so yourself when you write “We had high expectations”. Now comes the time for us to sustain those expectations; we have created it, we have to live by it. Oh God I just think that I lost again my annual leave!!!!....

We thank you so much and I shall ensure that all Heads of Departments enjoy their share of the pleasure reading you. Trung, our Sports and Social Manager who took you to the South with our speedboat, is going to end the year on a High…. It is important as we are not luxury but caring for our Guests.

Renewing my most sincere thanks, please accept my kindest regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed their three nights in a normal villa. The resort is around 7km from Duong dong. The environment around the villa in the resort is amazing with a beautiful nature, a wonderful beach and a nice swimming pool where you can enjoy a nice sunset every day. You can also practice for free kayaking, snorkeling and some more activities.

The villas are quite big, well decorated with an outside shower and a beautiful terrace with a bath and a view on the sea.
The breakfast is also perfect with a huge choice of bakery, fruits, juices, waffles, jam,... We also ate in the restaurant: the food is really good and the price is correct when you realize that you are in high quality hotel and also the fact that you are on an island. For example the spring rolls are 100'000 dong whereas the pizza are 275'000 dong (pizzas are good but a bit overloaded with mozzarella).

The only problem is that the hotel is finally too expensive because we paid 350$ for a normal room (between Christmas and new year) where you can hear your neighbors as if they were in your own room. After traveling a lot in south east Asia I've stayed in more luxurious hotels for less.
This is nevertheless a very good place to stay (excepted if you have very noisy neighbors)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Dadalesuedois,

Thank you so much for your nice review and we are glad that you appreciated your experiencing of the Chen Sea.

I respect your comment on the pricing of your room during the Peak Season.
When it comes to the soundproofing, we promise that we shall do something about it during next low season.
We tried three different ways last Spring, but it was not satisfactory.
So we are going to permanently close the connection and add a new wall. This should work.

Your comment on the Pizza is perfectly correct, and I am already working on this detail, as an Italian specialist just said so to us two weeks ago.

Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a great resort for those wanting to get away from it all. The staff is very accommodating and the view is beautiful. However, be warned that this is not a place to meet others and have a raucous party. This is a secluded place that is perfect for couples and where you can get away with not having to deal with a crowd. The villas are spaced out to give people plenty of privacy. Like most that commented on the prices, they were steep compared to the rest of the country, but right next door on the left of the resort beach area are 2 other beach side restaurants that served drinks and food. Like the rest of the island, the occasional trash would pop up in the water, but after having seen the rest of the island its no surprise. There are tons of trash on all the other beaches and Chen Sea does the best it can to clean up around their resort. They offer a kayak that you can use at any time and staff are quick to help you pull up a lounge chair if you would like to sit by the water. There was a tennis court, but there was construction going on when we there so we were not able to use it. The breakfast is good and has something for everyone. one thing to note was that it did rain on our last day there and the roof had small leaks that wasn't too problematic, but got annoying as there was a leak right over the bed so you would get the occasional drop or so right on your forehead, which was unexpected given the prices per nite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Linh L,

Thank you very much for your Review.
Despite the average scoring, you have noted some of our strong points.

Some little explanations are owed to you.
When it comes to the tennis court, as it is made in clay, we have to wait for the real end of the Monsoon to redo it.
Otherwise the work is useless, the next rain would ruin it.
For the little dropping from the roof, we really apologize. It is not that we didn’t repair all our roofs, as it is done now.
It is just that we have been delayed by a month because of the Monsoon.
You came at the end of October, and the work was completed at the end of November as we have been able to enjoy a dryer month.

And then you are so right…. We are away from the rest of the world… This is our trademark, this is our environment, this is our lifestyle.
Note that we are only 3 kms away from town by the shore, but our Owning Company has managed to develop a little harbor of peace in the forest not too far from chaos and far enough for peace.

With our renewed thanks and kind regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Been to Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!