“Stay at Chen Sea, dine at Thuy house!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

You added Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc to your Saves list
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bai Xep, Ong Lang | Cua Duong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam (Formerly Chenla Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Brisbane, Qld
“Stay at Chen Sea, dine at Thuy house!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We spent four nights at Chen Sea Resort at the end of our trip to Vietnam and absolutely loved it! We stayed in a beach front villa which was fantastic. The villa looked right out onto the water and you could either lie on the beach lounges or sit on the deck or even sit in a hanging chair from a tree. There was free wifi in the villas as well. During the day staff would come by and offer drinks and also sometimes bring orange scented moist towels to cool off. Each day we had the buffet breakfast which was included and was generous and tasty. The deck outside at the restaurant has a bit of an issue with ants both on the deck and on some tables which I was surprised at as it is fumigated often.

We had lunch at the restaurant a couple of times and the food was nice. We also went to a little dining hut called Sakura close by. We took the free push bikes and rode up to the main road from Chen Sea, turned left onto the main road then the first left. Down the end of that road is Sakura where we had a lovely cheap lunch. Back at Chen Sea we also took out the complimentary kayaks for a paddle. There are also other watersports available.

We had drinks at the bar during happy hour each night including one night for the managers' drinks. There were some very comfy purple beanbag chairs that were out out for us to watch the sunset. We chose not to eat dinner at the restaurant as there were other cheaper options such as the night market where it was less than $10 each way in a taxi. The food at the night market was amazing and a whole lobster was $20.

The highlight of our stay at Chen Sea was the shack next door called Thuy House (pronounced twee) we had dinner there twice and the food is fresh and amazing. I had the best spring rolls I have ever had there. The drinks were also cheap and they were good company to be around. We also hired a scooter from Thuy House for $7.50 for 24 hours where we rode down to Sao beach and had lunch.

If we go back to Phu Quoc we will definitely stay at Chen Sea again and dine at the night markets and Thuy House!

Sam and Robyn

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
“Dear DuffmanBrisbane,

You loved it and this is what counts.
I wont comment on your next door experience as once again I promised not to talk about it again. There is still a huge contrast between what you say and what our other Guests said in this Forum, very close to your comment, smile… Was it really the highlight of your stay?
Sakura is the winner anyway, we all agree. Night market I cant talk about it, especially after one of my Guests earlier this week got seriously sick… Hygiene is an issue on the Island, never forget it. It is like a “roulette table” at the casino. You play red or black and never know when you will lose or win. But Sakura for sure as none of our Guests found any issue with her, just that it is good and unexpensive.

The lobster at the night market at 20$... Something wrong with that. Live lobsters are sold between 50 and 65$ per kilo. Sometime they are not really alive, but no one notice. Sometime frozen, defrost, frozen again, and so on. The best price I had to buy it was 50$ a kilo but maximum half a kilo per piece. And I refused. If you participate to this there wont be any lobster in Nha Trang very quickly. I don’t subscribe to over fishing. Many countries apply a non fishing period so there is a time to reach adult age and reproduce. Not here!!!
Dear Guests, you know with whom to get in touch with when you are coming back. I am here for you and I shall help.

Sincere thanks with our kindest regards,
Olivier, Your GM at the Chaen Sea Resort & Spa, Cenatara Boutique Collection.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were nearly at the end of our three week travels through Vietnam and in need of r & r and on our day trip north on Phu Quoc I asked the taxi driver to stop in at Chen Sea so we could see if we wanted to stay for our final two days. Once that beam gate opened they had my daughter and I.
We only left the resort once in two days to go to Sakura restaurant for dinner one night. We just wanted to stay in the resort as the service, facilities were superb. Not to mention the wonderful rooms. We stayed in two sea view villas and will return to them next year but for longer. We all loved the purple beanbag chairs to sit and have a drink while enjoying the sunset. My teenagers and hubby loved the hoby cat and went out several times a day. I was happy reading my book on one of the many different lounging chairs around the resort. Hubby and kids said the only addition the resort needs is paddle boards to make it their perfect resort.
We had fantastic service all the way through Vietnam but Chen Sea service was up a notch which we didn't think was possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
“Dear Lionbear1,

The way we have been hammedred recently on this Forum makes your review like…. I don’t know Paradise.

Thank you so much for enjoying your experiencing of the Chen Sea.
God, I have to find the paddle board just for you!!! Well I am not a water bum so I have no clue what it is, but for you, yes….
Yes indeed we have many lounge chairs. Sometime I see my Guests going from one to the other, then there is the acceleration to the hammock, and I feel so bad the way my Guests are exhausted after so much effort!!! Smile…. This is the spirit and I am glad that this was made for you.
You know, and all of you reading this lovely review, that my Owners read this Forum too. Come on they want to know from you if you love it or not; legitimate isn’t it as they did it with love and passion. So Dear Lionbear, reading you, they have a blast I know it…. Thank you from them.
And when you come back remember the only rule imposed to our Guests (only one, do you believe that?): you can only come back through me, even if “through” might not be the right word. Anyway this is my addie so you tell me when you come back and we take care of you: gmcpv@chr.co.th

We are waiting for you.
Kind regards and sincere thanks,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed 5 nights in the Sea-View Pool Villa, in Chen Sea Resort at the beginning of April after a two week trip around Vietnam.

The villa is extremely spacious, well laid out and more than comfortable for two people. The villas provide a fast internet connection (but it did drop out regularly), extremely comfortable beds, a nice drinks selection from the mini-bar fridge (although I thought the snacks variation was limited) and the TV channels are reasonable for those rainy days. The resort is nicely laid out. The only time we heard other residents was during the middle of the day when they were jumping in and out of their pool. All in all, the atmosphere is pleasant.

Unfortunately staff aren’t quite as inconspicuous as the other guests. We stayed in villa 401, which has a small field to one side of the villa. Upon arrival, my husband questioned the privacy of the villa (given you can see right through the fencing) and we were advised that “no one goes in there”. Quite untrue; we saw various staff members walking through on different days, it appears it’s actually a shortcut for the maintenance staff to get to the back of the villas. Disappointing considering this was something we specifically asked about.

We did have an incident with the pool where a “plague” of flea type bugs ended up in our pool (I found out later it happened in all the pools – and obviously, totally out of the resorts control). We called reception to advise them, the maintenance staff were here within 15 minutes and spent approximately 2 hours “vacuuming” out the bugs from the pool. Their attention to detail was excellent and is genuinely appreciated. But unfortunately the next morning when the maintenance staff came to check the pool again - which we appreciated - the staff just walked in via the back garden entrance (from the open field we were told no one goes into) no knocking to check if it was convenient or if we were even decent. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but privacy is what we’ve requested (with the DND on the front fence), what we paid for and what we should be granted. For that, there is no excuse.

One evening we called reception for a taxi in an hours time. We were then called back 15mins later saying our taxi had arrived, after advising them they had the incorrect time, we were told we would get the taxi cheaper if we took it now – fine, we said we’ll be there in 5mins. We rushed to reception, only to be told that our taxi has left and there will be another one in a minute. 20 minutes later, it arrived and took us to the town… It wasn’t discounted.

Our first morning we went to breakfast at 9am (breakfast is served until 10am). The selection is acceptable, when it’s stocked. The fruit, juices, pastries, condiments and breads were either dreggs of the bowl or non-existent and after looking around, it appeared they weren’t going to be restocked anytime in the near future. The coffee was served lukewarm 3 out of the 5 days. However, the jam’s are delicious!! The omelette’s from the omelette station were lovely and when the pastries were there the following days, they were tasty as well.

We had dinner in the restaurant one evening and let me preface by saying; the food was lovely! Very tasty, decent portion sizes and we had a lovely thunderstorm dinner time show. Unfortunately, the service seriously lacks. We ordered 3 starters, 2 of which came out at the same time, the other came out 15 minutes later. We ordered dessert and I was told mine wasn’t available only after they brought out the wrong item. We ordered some beers and they were brought out separately. All frustrating little things, but when you are paying £75 for a meal, I expect better.

Overall, if the price were lower or the service better I would recommend Chen Sea. Unfortunately that's not the case...

“Dear Wakega11,

God your review gave us so much work…
The main issue is the staff not walking through the little pathways between the Pool Villas, but crossing to the privacy of the Guests. We did the needful on that (a word on that to the Management while in the Resort would have helped us even more to stop this) and we are going to redo all the fencing of the Pool Villas.
For this I ask you to accept my most sincere apologies as it is unacceptable.
The story of the bugs. Well being in the forest, 3 or 4 times a year according to seasons and changes of weather (you came early April which is the beginning of the Monsoon) some bugs invade the property, usually for 12 hours. This was a water bug, and last week it was the flying ants. There is nothing that we can do, just try asap to rectify without putting too much chlorine in the water. But with 13 pools or jacuzzis at once it has been impossible to tackle all.
I am sorry for the taxi, but there is very little choice in Phu Quoc and we favor the largest company as this is the one giving us the less negative feedback from the Guests.
Little remark on the pastries at the Buffet Breakfast: we change them daily and we have 7 different sets.
Your comments on your meal have been taken into consideration, mostly linked to the service, and this will help us to improve. How did you spend 75 Pounds, which is around 100$, for a meal??? It is impossible, especially with beer. I am sorry, but this does not exist at the Chen Sea. Even the Romantic Dinner on the beach, wine included is not at 100$ per person. This is not a correct information to the readers of this Forum. I have just said to a previous answer, and I did it a couple of month ago, on a Year To Date basis, our Average Check for Dinner is at 35$, Tax, Service Charge and beverage included, and I can prove it.
For the Internet connection I have explained myself many times on this Forum, the issue is not us but the only ISP of the Island and their satellite connection to mainland, especially during the Monsoon or when their power is cut of.
Mini-Bar we are working on it as I promised that this would be part of our second year improvement program. We are even going to have some fresh milk to please our British Guests and improve the Snack corner.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and remarks and my renewed apologies for our little mistakes.

Kind regards,
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

we stayed at chen sea in November 2012 for 4 days and it was the highlight of our trip. we have stayed in resorts in the Philippines (Bohol), Santorini and Langkawi - but the small details chen sea provides makes it a standout. details include beach bag to take down to the infinity pool or beach, free hire of kayaks/ snorkel gear, spraying the room with mosquito repellent, urns of water outside the villas to wash your feet and many more. We came for our anniversary trip and booked a seaside villa with an awesome outdoor shower (well covered and private), the staff thoughtfully upgraded us to a 2 room pool villa and let me just say i have ticked this off my bucket list and made everyone at home jealous with photos of the private pool. during our stay we were invited by the GM Olivier for the GM drinks on the pier and it was great to mingle with staff (hi Marina and Eric!) and guests. Reception staff - Hang (i think) were very friendly, good english and helped us to organise a day tour of island

Pros - buffet breakfast (mango toffee is unforgettable), diverse range of food (local and international (my background is Vietnamese and my husband is Aussie so both well catered to), villas are lush and comfy (rustic, elemental design with all the modern amenities, spa treatments in the covered huts, sense of seclusion from other guests even though the resort is booked out

Cons - rocky road to get to resort (but once you get to resort you won't regret it or want to leave!), there was some litter in the sea on our first day but the staff worked hard at cleaning this up and there was a storm before we came to the island, which would have sent the debris towards the island.

we have booked a trip overseas in March next year and going back to chen sea will be our priority and to stay longer :) Thanks! belinda and daniel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
“Dear Nga26,

Hello DownUnder, thank you so much, really, I feel you had a blast and this is the spirit.
Just a question, could you tell me why it took you so long to say how much you enjoyed it????? Just joking…
So please note that you wont come here without me taking in charge your booking and whatever you need.
We now help our repeaters with Visa and the connecting flight from Saigon to Phu Quoc. So come on write to me.
I didn’t give you my card…. Ok okokok…. gmcpv@chr.co.th
We are really glad that you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea, and now we’ll try to surprise you even more during your next stay.

The Cons: rocky road so genuine… There are some rumours that we should have a new road out of town next spring, we shall see. But lets make one thing clear, the 200 meters reaching our Resort will remain a dirt road. We insist on that. It is like now that you are on a dirt road you know that you are not in Camberra, smile…. It reminds me a dear spot of mine, it is called the “Val d’Orcia”; World Heritage Site protected by UNESCO in South Tuscany, they refuse to tar the road so mass tourism does not reach there. Beautiful isnt’ it?
The Sea there is nothing I can do with this Gulf of Thailand but to clean and clean again!!! Please bug through blogs and letters the 4 concerned Governments.

With our most sincere thanks and kindest regards,
Scotland, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I will start with a few niggles... i did not realise that it is a 12 pound return taxi ride to get in and out of town...more research required from me.
Because of this prices at resturant dear in my opinion, cheapest meal on themenue Pitza or hamburgers are 10 pounds each. but saying that very tasty....
Those two points aside you have nothing to fear staying here, staff go above and beyond.
The views all day and especially sunsets Ammazing
Rooms more than i was expecting.

Room Tip: room at the beach if you can afford it ..if not room 201 or 202
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
“Dear PETER w,

Thank you so much for your review; short and so nice. We really appreciate when our Guests love and share their experiencing of the Chen Sea.

Research before going somewhere, right this must be done; but in fact it is not for the distance that it is the most important as we are 8 Kms from Town and less than 3 walking on the Beach. It is important to do due diligence as Phu Quoc is so much at an early stage of development. When I say to my Guests to be prudent it is because the worse Hotel on the Island is the Hospital. Due diligence will tell you that we do not have bad tropical diseases but bring in your mosquito repellent; and the sun lotion too… Alllo…. We are in Asia surrounded by the forest. How can I forget these two adorables young Ladies who, fully prepared at dinner, asked me where is the nearest Club!!! Ar first I even didn’t understand the question and they took me for an average redneck…. Sorry, none in Phu Quoc. So yes research is important and I thank you to share this with the readers of the Forum.
Dear PETER w, I renew my most sincere thanks.

Kind regards,
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

just got home after doing Cambodia and Saigon spent 8 days relaxing at the Chen Sea resort. Wow what a place, didnt want for anything had a sea view villa with bath on the Patio, a bed big enough to sleep 4. The place was spotlessly clean and the gardens kept up, staff were attentive, polite and always smiling however you do have to be patient with their English. The restaurant was very good and food superb but service could be slow. Free use of Kayaks, sailing boats, masks and snorkels were among the nice little touches. No reserving sun beds with towels no need to. Fresh towels always on the beds whether it be the beach or the pool. Cold water brought to you by the Pool or on the beach, free of charge. i would certainly recommend this resort to others

Room Tip: Select either Beach front villa or Sea view villa
“Dear MClark1963,

8 Days at the Chen Sea, that is the spirit!!! When I see my Guests nearly crying because they spend only 3 nights…. What do you want me to say beside: “Who blocked you from staying longer? Not me for sure”.

Thank you so much as we are so happy to have pleased you. I know you loved every minute of it and, once again, we appreciate that you share your experience at the Chen Sea.

Give us an opportunity to welcome you another time and rest assured that we shall be even better. I am only at half way of my program!!!

Sincere thanks and kindest regards,
hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We did a girls trip and stayed here for 3 nights during the first week of April. Overall a very enjoyable experience. We are glad we chose this hotel over the others. Highlights below:

Highlights:
GM organizes a welcome drinks during the week. This was a generous gesture and very much appreciated. GM was on site to chat with everyone, too. It made us feel welcome and seeing the sunset on their jetty was one of the highlights of staying there.

The facilities are very clean. The infinity pool is very nice (I don't think their website photos do it justice).

The staff does not speak much English but they have obviously been trained to understand what customers need. I was impressed with their empathy to customers, and their attention to details. Overall, I was happy with the service.

The food is okay. Not spectacular but there are a few items that are good. For a remote island that's not very developed, I thought they did very well and was generally happy.

Con:
We found their Head of Operations to be awkward and he was rude to us on a couple of occasions. I don't have much time to write the specifics here but after one incident, he tried to make amends by offering us a free lunch the next day (we accepted). Although I did not appreciate his attitude, his effort to make amends shows the leadership at this hotel (most likely the GM) cares about customer feedback and that in itself is appreciated.

Comparison with the Verandah:
Since Verandah was the other hotel we were debating over, we decided to check out the premises to see if we "made the right decision." The building is very colonial (a little too much so for my liking) and the clientele were families with kids or retirees. Chen Sea was full of young couples and a few families. We fit in at Chen Sea more and were glad we made the right decision.

Overall was a great experience. I would go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
“Dear travelgirlhk, Hello Ladies,

First and foremost a great thank for your wonderful and generous comment. It is so nice of you.
I knew you enjoyed your experiencing of the Chen Sea, it is just even better to see you sharing this experience on this Forum.

In fact the only thing (or one) that you didn’t like is our Eric. I am not surprised, I am the Good one and he is the Bad one. Thanks God we got rid of the Uggly. In fact Eric apologizes because he should not have made you feel how upset he was with our team. For your information we would be highly stupid to have frozen pizza while we sell an average of 2 to 3 pizzas a day. One Australian Guest last night having his pizza at sunset said to me that it was the best one he ever had in his life!!!! This is way too much, but promise we don’t deal with frozen pizza. The Eric got upset as the pizzaiolo forgot the basil but he said that we have no more. When we checked and found it…. Well this is usually when we feel like crucifying someone. We can’t do it, it is not allowed in the Labor Law, smile….

So our apologies for that, in fact he is very funny, bubbly and thank God he is so much hard working. What we achieved in 18 months is really a team effort; I would not have achieved that without him. (Now I am still going to skin him alive, smile…. Just for you Ladies).
I shall not comment on your Comparison testing, it would not be ethical. But one thing interesting is that you came to the matching property.
I am so glad about this.
Ladies, if you wish to organize another “Girls trip” and be more than 3, write to me and I promise that we shall surprise you…. Imagine the private party that we can do for you in a Pool Villa… gmcpv@chr.co.th , is your only key here, then I’ll have the pleasure to welcome you one more time.

Kindest regards and most sincere thanks.
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.”

Been to Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!