“Absolute paradise with wonderful service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

Save Saved
You added Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc to your Saves list
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bai Xep, Ong Lang | Cua Duong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam (Formerly Chenla Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to over 60%.
Ranked #5 of 39 hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Cardiff, south wales
“Absolute paradise with wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I can't express how much this place amazed me. We stopped off here for 3 days on our 6 day trip to Phu Quoc, after the hecticness of HCMC we really needed to relax and this place did just that!

On checking in, we were very early, given a wonderful welcome drink, definately need this recipe please?!! check in was great and we were shown to our room within 10 minutes.

I can only saw that viewing the beach front villa for the first time, i was overcome with emotion at how beautiful it was. It was quite minimalist, which I love.a walk in walkrobe, beautiful views of the beach which we could step onto from our terrace and we had a bath on our veranda. Stepping out a little further there are wicker chairs to sit on and look out at the sea and sunset.
The bed was so comfy and there was a flat screen tv and a dvd player (also a massive library of dvds to borrow from reception for free)

The bathroom was amazing, the shower was kind of enclosed but our doors and a huge full length mirror. The toiletries are poured into flasked which smell divine. If we could have purchased the soap,we would have bought a suitcase full!!

The infinity pool is so warm and amazing to cool down in, as soon as you start to walk up to the pool attendent, he runs up with a thick fluffy orange beach towel and puts it on the padded sun beds for you. there is no music and its so peaceful to watch the sun sets.

The bar underneath the restaurant offers 40% off everythin from 5pm-6pm. highly recommend the cosmos and mojittos. wished we had discovered these sooner!!

The breakfast was the most fantistically displayed one I have ever seen and the waffles are great. The restaurant staff are so attentive and serve you very quickly and continually topping your glass up with free water.

The food at the restuarant was alot more than the markets in phu quoc, but this is a top quality hotel therefore you would expect this. we found the club sandwiches at lunch to be really nice, chips are lovely.
some of the meals we had in the evening lacked a bit of something but cant put my finger on it. Nethertheless it was all very nice.

Room service was very quick and excellent service.

On the whole, if you stay here I cant see why you would ever have to find fault in anything. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and nothing compares to what chen sea has to offer,

Paradise. I wish we had stayed longer.

we also had a relaxing body massage which was about £30. it was amazing.

Room Tip: beach front villa 104- excellent 5-6pm happy hour
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Cardiff_chick22,

Thank you so much, what a wonderful comment, and you are a Senior Contributor…!

Like I say to my Guests: “I love my Office”, your Little Paradise…

I wish I could have helped you to put your finger on the little something that you felt lacking in our Food.
It must be identified. There is a potential explanation, though I am not sure that this is valid in your particular case.

If you have travelled in the region ahead of coming to us, there is a great deal of probability that you did consume MSG without knowing it or even thinking about it. As MSG has been banned from our property, there is a slight possibility that your palate missed it.
Would that be it?

So you say: “I wish we had stay longer”… Which translated in French means: “We shall come back!”

And we shall be there for you.
With our renewed thanks and sincere regards,

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was by far the most relaxing part of our 3 week journey through Asia. We stopped here for 2 days on our way home - should have made it a week. We stayed in the Sea view villa with our own private pool. Very private and spacious 2 bedroom villa. The ocean was very calm and refreshing. The restaurant and bar were excellent with top quality food of Mediterranean influence. The staff were wonderful and very friendly.

Room Tip: All the rooms appeared to be great but definitely the pool villas were the most spacious and private...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kiz9789,

Would you be kind enough to tell me why you didn’t stay a week???
I love when my Guests have this feeling that really they should have stayed longer.
Not that we do it intentionally to frustrate our Guests, but true, this is the Chen Sea syndrom.

When I say to my Guests that some other Guests come here for a month, here we go, now it is clear.

Chen Sea is addictive. I believe that it is the beauty and the peace and in the world we leave in, these values are rare.

I am glad that you enjoyed your Pool Villa and wish to welcome you soon.

Mainz, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

In a few words – a wonderful and very relaxing stay at Chen Sea – thanks to a very warm-hearted management, headed by Mr. Petit, who personally takes care of his guests assisted by a very professional staff. He is not one of these smart and arrogant GM types who usually stay imprisoned in their offices all day – and who sometimes believe that they are a nuisance if they appear in front of a guest (what they sometimes really are). Mr. Petit actually takes care of you, and he is a man full of humor though I am quite sure that he knows what he wants. His official representative comes from Belgium and he is as well a source for plenty of information that he is able and willing to transfer with a great self-irony – today, in fact and this is a pity – rather rare qualities. Further to mention are Mrs Lou – hope the name is correct and Mrs. Marina - both working in the front office and never bothered by our hopelessly insane questions. And finally Mr. Lam who gave us a lot of very interesting details concerning Vietnam and especially Phu Quoc. We stayed in a large two-floor Sea View bungalow with outdoor pool that offered plenty of room for a family of three adults. We did a few inspections in various smaller bungalows and each presents enough space for the usual couple that you would expect in these types of resorts. The kitchen represented by chef Thao offers both an ample breakfast menu as well as a delicious dinner. Prices – to our surprise – are exceptionally reasonable – quite unusual if you consider that most resorts try to milk their customers with respect to restaurant dining. Furthermore, if you consider that Phu Quoc is a little bit out of reach – they offer an excellent wine list – and here again prices are rather moderate. The resort - as some reviewers pointed out – is a little bit far away from the so-called “capital” Luong Dong – but this is in our experience nothing but a great advantage . Moreover, whoever comes to Phu Quoc and to Chen Sea wants to have tranquility and nature – and both categories are amply offered here. I strongly invite you to hike the beach both to the north – you will find meadows with cattle grazing, lush plantations of palm trees and untouched beaches and to the south towards Luong Dong – to reach the capital by foot takes about 90 minutes walk – and do not get appalled by the fishermen’s habit to litter about – in conclusion a great trip to end our wonderful stay in Vietnam. We’ll go certainly back before the island gets spoiled by greed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Dr. UliHa,

How to thank you….

I remember with your first emails that you sent me, earlier this year, how meticulously you prepared your vacations, the questions you asked.

You see Doctor, everything was in phase what we told you then.

Then this is the first comment on this Forum with all the names of the persons in charge of caring for the Guests.
And yes you did spell Lou’s name correctly.

Your comments have been distributed of course and everybody was so happy to have pleased you to this extent.

As I say very often, we are only here to please our Guests, we only exist because of our Guests.
Fulfilling their expectations is our aim.

We shall keep our simplicity, keep up improving our quality and consistency, so we shall be sure to please you even more when you will return with your family.

Please accept our most sincere thanks and warmest regards,
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Cenatara Boutique Collection.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

A brilliant resort - facilities were the perfect balance to blend in with the idyllic nature of this island whilst still providing all the mod cons. Service from the staff was genuine, accomodating & always of great assistance. The environment was beautiful & even though we caught a lot of the heavy rain from the monsoon we didn't get cabin fever staying on site (we booked a Jacuzzi Villa). The island itself is fairly quiet so not a huge amount to explore so don't expect to be partying till dawn! The rooms were lovely, very spacious & inviting. The beds were a bit soft for our liking however then again you cant please everyone!

Room Tip: Only 36 villas & all seem to have a beautiful vantage point. We splurged & got the jacuzzi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Georgie607,

What a wonderful comment, and we thank you dearly.

Yes indeed the end of the monsoon has been particularly harsh, and I am so glad to see that some guests did manage to enjoy our peace and facilities without entering into a massive depressive state.

We are introducing the pillow menu, but we can’t introduce the mattress menu. So as I said before choice was on medium mattresses and sometimes it does not fit all.

With our most sincere thanks and kind regards,
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Chen Sea resort and had a very confortable stay despite some heavy rain. Amenities are really worth the price. Service is at the level of a premium resort even if some staff struggle with the English language. We enjoyed the boutique decoration of the room, the very nice private veranda with bathtube. The bathroom with shower opening on the outside is another delight.
We would definitely recommend this resort and having quickly visited the other hotels, we would rate it as the best or one of the best in Phu Quoc.

• Stayed October 2012
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear MarsParis,

Peaceful retreat indeed… Thank you so much for your very nice positive comments.
We prefer to believe that we are one of the best hotels in Phu Quoc, and yes we are aiming at the top.
But as you all know, so many things to be polished first.

I am glad that you appreciated our clean beach. Recently a guest walked to town by the shore, only one hour, and when he was back he said to me that he understood the work it takes to ensure that our beach is pristine. It is a lot of work, but the result is so superb.

When I go away for a mission or a break and then I come back, I look at the property from the terrace of the Restaurant, and the same words come to my mind: “I love my office and this beach is a jewel”.

With our most sincere thanks and regards.
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

After a long journey from the uk we arrived at chen sea and spa for a 4 night stay in a seaview villa. We were picked up at the airport and taken to swiftly to the resort. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and served cold drinks and fresh fruit whilst they checked us in. From when we arrived till the moment we left the staff were incredible. You are basically waited on hand on foot and every thought and effort is made to make you feel totally relaxed e.g chocolates delivered to the room every night, room changed twice a day, a letter 24 hours before departure detailing your bill and when your bags will be collected and you will be taken to the airport. As for the resort it is absolutely beautiful and decorated so it feels very in touch with the island. Our seaview villa was gorgeous with a beatiful outdoor bath perfect for watchin the sun go down. And the Spa and restaurant were fantastic too - maybe a little more expensive than the rest of vietnam but you certainly get what you pay for. The only slight downside is its a good 20 mins into town so you are a bit away from everything but for us it was perfect as we wanted total tranquility. This place is a must for honeymooners or couples who want some romance.

• Stayed October 2012
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear mancmark,

Thank you so much for your very nice comments.
And yes indeed, we are a must for Honeymooners and romance in general.

We are a bit remote but this is why we are your “hidden paradise”.
By the way, only few do it, but to walk to town takes one hour by the beach and you arrive at Night Market.

We are very glad that you enjoyed our Hospitality and we thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

the weather is terrible due to the monsoon. raining day and night but it just couldn't wash away any of the great aspects abt this hotel! the hotel is rather quiet because it is not peak seaon; i suppose that it wouldn't be crowd even during high season since there are only 30 something villa. great getaway destination from my point of view:
1 - hard to find a place where i don't hear any chinese word (i'm from HK so of coz i won't discriminate but this kind of tranquility is rare...) -i believe this hotel is not yet famous in the chinsse community.
2 - not many kids; i don't see as a family type resort anyway
3 - though there are other hotels nearby, you practically don't see them and you would see no
outsider other than hotel guests and staffs
4 - staffs are super friendly and helpful but you are never disturbed while you are not in need of them
5 - great food with flexible kitchen; they can make food your way as long as they have the resources.
6 - nice pool
7 - long coast line
8 - good for value
i will definitely come back in a better season!

drawback: the roads here are not well constructed on most part of the island. though everyone here says i can ride a scooter to visit but the muddy and bumpy road is not convincing to me at all so i chose to stay in the hotel to enjoy the tranquility.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear kumabearlam,

It does not happen often, but yes I did laugh reading your comments.
Indeed you are right, Phu Quoc is not yet a destination for the Chinese market.
Very few are coming to us, always appreciative of the environment.

There is no kids in the property when it is not school vacations.

Then I would love to know who told you to ride a scooter while I spend my time telling my guests not to do it.
It is dangerous on a daily basis, but during the monsoon, dangerous is not an accurate word anymore!!!

Well if I understood you well, you will come back at a later stage when the monsoon won’t be at its worse.
You will be a bit surprised and I am sure that you will enjoy the Chen Sea experience even more.
But a gentle reminder of a Chen Sea rule: a Guest coming back calls on the GM.
So please do let me know and I shall take care of everything for you.

Thank you so much.
Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Been to Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!