“secluded beach hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc

You added Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc to your Saves list
Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bai Xep, Ong Lang | Cua Duong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam (Formerly Chenla Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Norwich, United Kingdom
“secluded beach hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We had four nights here in the middle of a Vietnam and Cambodia trip, and it was selected to give us some time to recover from a hectic schedule, and it certainly did that. Beach villas were lovely, huge wonderful beds and a fantastic semi outdoor shower, although the jacuzzi on the terrace took so long to fill we gave up in the end. Plenty of space to chill on the grass or beach, warm sea, huge infinity pool and helpful staff. Somewhat of the beaten track and you were a bit trapped with the food and drinks overpriced, however a taxi to restaurants and bars was cheap and took about 15 minutes. We would certainly recommend this to re charge the batteries.

Room Tip: Go for the beach villas
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear shingers,

Thank you very much for your comments.
Re charge the batteries indeed. Even more, some touring Indochina are so tired that they need a rest in our property before returning home so to have the feeling that they went through vacations, smile…

One word about the “overpriced” issue. I would not have reacted if I was not just back from nearly a week in Saigon.
The hotel I was in was one of the nice properties in HCMC, and all beverages were at least 50% above us and food was a minimum 30% above. I went to a nice Vietnamese Restaurant, supposed to be the best in town. Their first tasting menu is three times more expensive than our dinner buffet and it is a two persons minimum order. I went as well to a very nice and trendy Vietnamese Restaurant, this one not in Gastronomy but really good, and it was 20% more expensive than us. So my question is still, where this feeling of overpricing is coming from? I wish one day to understand.

Thank you for coming to us, and we hope to welcome you again.
Kind regards,

Olivier your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Like many others I was torn between La Veranda & Chen Sea for the Phu Quoc segment of our Cambodia/Vietnam holiday. Having stayed at Chen Sea and visting La Veranda (to satisfy my curiosity) I am so glad we chose to stay at Chen Sea resort. My inital misgivings concerned Chen Sea being out of town but this became a big plus rather than a minus - a beautiful, scrupulously maintained resort on a truly gorgeous stretch of beach with only the other resort guests to share with, so lots of space on beach & in the water; free speedboat to town each evening with taxis plentiful & cheap to return to the resort at night. Perceived location problem sorted!

We opted for a beachfront bungalow and have nothing but praise for our spacious, comfortable and well-maintained accommodation. As noted by other reviewers the little extras were very welcome and lent an air of personal attention to detail to our experience.

We had no qualms whatsoever about the food - the breakfast buffet had many fresh & appealing options, the service impeccable...we also had lunch several times and tried our best to do justice to the superb Asian buffet (bbq seafood on the deck overlooking the ocean - at $35 per head sure it's "expensive" for Vietnam....but where in Australia could we have such quality, quantity, ambience and service for what is really a modest charge?)

Phu Quoc itself has a lot to offer and we divided our days between luxuriating on our balcony, the sun lounges, the ocean, the pool, the restaurant & bar...and dragging ourselves out on our hired moto to explore the beaches north & south & taste the offerings of the many bars & cafes along the way.

But each evening we were delighted to return to Chen Sea. The management has grand plans for this place and we can only wonder at how this place can be bettered - it is simply beautiful, the staff put Sydney's fine dining staff to shame in terms of a perfect blend of professionalism, efficiency and friendliness and I am already counting down to when I get to return to this slice of heaven again.

I'm not usually a gushy person but wow, I had the BEST time here. Do yourself a favour. Go!

Room Tip: Beachfront villas are a mere hop, skip & jump to the waters' edge. Spacious & clean wit...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Dear QueenJustine,

Wow, thank you, Wow, thank you.
You make us feel so good and you represent the drive that support what we do here.

“How this place can be bettered”…
You have noticed yourself in other comments that there is still this 2% of clients who are not happy with us. We are still not in the top 3 of this Forum, so we have a lot of work.
We have to improve on quality, there is no limit.
We have to improve on consistency, there is no limit.
We know that we are on the right track because this is what our repeaters say (I talk about the residents in Vietnam who come 3 to 4 times a year).
I really hope that when you will return to us, you will experience this permanent improvement which goes on.
You know that we are close to our guests and that we listen to them. So many constructive comments have been made and we can bring these changes or improvements. So yes, this place can be bettered.

To the pleasure to welcome you again and to please you even more.

Kind regards and sincere thanks,

Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We booked a five-night stay at Chen Sea as part of our honeymoon... the part where we just wanted to relax and indulge. Well, this was the right place to do it!
We were greeted by the Assistant Manager Eric, who explained that the resort's undergoing quite a transition right now. A company called Centara's been brought in to raise standards and it became clear Eric and the other managers were working hard to achieve this. They were checking in with us daily to make sure we were happy.
Our room (a Jacuzzi Villa) was beautiful. Lots of space, loads of character, and we appreciated small touches like thongs & a beach bag being provided, and chocolates at turndown. Staff quickly responded to a call for help with connecting our i-Pod. The biggest flaw in the room was the design of the beautiful bathtub... the hot water runs out quickly, and the design of the tub tap means it fills really slowly, so by the time you jump in the water's cold. We didn't get any use out of it, though we'd have liked to.
The resort grounds are beautiful, and meticulously maintained. Staff are constantly raking the beach for any rubbish, but after seeing it gather around the jetty one evening we stuck mainly to the pool. It's stunning and most of the time we had the whole area to ourselves! Poolside food & beverage service could be improved. We found ourselves walking to the bar to order, whereas they could have a staff member come and take orders every so often. It was also frustrating that a couple of bar menu items weren't available at all during our stay (...take them off, then!)
We enjoyed sunset cocktails each evening in front of the jetty. Would be even better with complimentary nuts or nibbles.
Now to the food. I don't know why it gets such a bad rap on here. We were really impressed by the variety in the breakfast buffet. The egg and pho stations were a stand-out, as were the home-made jams and fruit smoothies. Service in the restaurant was always very attentive.
We do agree with what others have said about the lack of Vietnamese dishes for lunch and dinner. More of these would be nice. But we tried both the a la carte menu and the buffet, and in general the food is really good. Sure, it's expensive by Vietnam standards but you have to expect that in a resort; and it's no more than you'd pay for the same meal at home. Our favourite dinner was a 'honeymoon' special that Chef Jurgen catered for us out on the jetty. He cooked there, right beside us. An experience we'll never forget!
Do visit the spa - I had a manicure/pedicure (the most meticulous nail artist I've ever had!) and we were also given a free 1-hour honeymooners' massage. The spa environment is serene and the treatments well-priced.
We also went waterskiing and had a fabulous time with two very friendly and experienced staff.
All in all, it was a memorable stay, and we would come again. When booking I had worried about the distance from town / Long Beach, but the resort provides a water taxi there in the evenings, and you can catch a taxi (around 200,000d) home.

Dear Amydownunder,

I could not thank you earlier as I was away.
Now I can do it with pleasure as we appreciate that you enjoyed the “perfect place to do nothing”.
This sounds like a good translation of our spirit “Dolce far niente”.

This story in the Bar is not acceptable, and Eric, I believe that you remember him, has already rectified this, we apologize.
When it comes to the hot water supply, you are absolutely right. We have to change the whole system. I intend to address this issue with our Owners on the 24/02/12. But this is a big issue which will require major works and investments. But we have to do it. Today I can only comment on the fact that we are taking care of this.
I hope to be soon in a position to tell when this will be rectified.

Thanks again for your positive and very constructive comments.

With kind regards

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012 via mobile

I am so pleased that La Verandas was booked out because i would not have experienced such paradise otherwise! Whilst direct comparison is not appropriate (eco vs French Colonial), the Chen Sea far exceeded our expectations from the beginning.

The infinity pool and sunsets are something you can only be truly honoured to enjoy. The beds are comfortable and rooms simple yet elegant. Great semi-outdoor shower too.

Service was amazing, from check in tthrough to departure. GM Olivier helped us in a semi emergency with gusto.

Chef Jurgen Haus has done amazing things with the restaurant. Quality plus! Buffet breakfast and dinners were impeccable.

Yes, food and beverages are more expensive however this is a resort 15 mins from phu quoc town and best suited for those of us who want ultimate relaxation and minimum fuss.

We did charter a private boat for snorkeling which was also amazing as you call the shots on what you want to do.

All in all the perfect break from crazy saigon.

• Stayed February 2012
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Ladies briggas43

Thank you very much for your feedback, we do appreciate.
We are happy that you felt good with us and that you felt our Little Paradise atmosphere.
Then I also thank you, very personal note, as I enjoy nice friendly guests. Once again it is guests like you that make me love my job so much.

We would be happy to welcome you again, booking the speedboat for you as well, and this time we’ll put the bubbly in the ice box.

Cheers,

Olivier, Your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

All I really need to say is 'beachfront villa'. This place is magical and we did not want to leave. It is a gem and a place where you can do as little or as much as you want. We sailed, kayaked, swam, snorkelled and rested - by the beach, by the pool, on the timber swing day bed, and on our verandah. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and They are everywhere!
Enjoy - I know we'll be back soon. Worth the flight and then some from Sydney.

• Stayed February 2012
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear eurpbear,

I keep explaining to my guests, please don’t be sad to leave, don’t be upset and for sure don’t be depressed. I love to shock them when I dare to say that this is a good thing that you leave. Then I add: How could you have the pleasure to come back if you don’t leave.

Thank you to both of you, we appreciate your words and your feelings for us, this is the kind of support we need to improve more and more.

Be sure to contact me when you wish to return and I’ll take care of everything for you.
Then I can’t pass on something you said, something that made me feel great for at least a week.
I said that our spot is “Dolce FarNiente” and our guests nicknamed us Little Paradise, ok this is know by now.
But you said: “ This place is magical”… I am voiceless.
After 35 years in Asia I felt that this place was magic, and I have seen some around… But as the GM I couldn’t say so.
It would have sounded as cheap advertising.
But you, you felt it. So you have won a bottle of bubbly as the first one to have the soul to feel that, and please note that I’ll drink this one with you.

Wishing to have the pleasure to welcome you soon again, please accept our most sincere thanks and kindes regards.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had a very full trip through Viet Nam and Cambodia, and decided we needed a few days resort relaxation towards the end of our trip. The Chen Sea resort fitted the bill perfectly. We had a really relaxing time, looked after by the most charming and friendly staff. Having left and come back to England I discovered that I had left a necklace recently purchased in Halong Bay in the hotel. We e-mailed our problem, and were delighted to discover that the necklace had been handed in by the housekeeper. I have since been corresponding with the hotel management as to how to get the necklace back to England and they could not have been more helpful. We expect to get it back shortly. A first class case of helpful aftercare !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Dear elizabeth c,

Thank you for your kind words and thank you for rewarding our Housekeeping employees, they really appreciated.
And yes expect your necklace very soon as I said to you earlier in an email. We found the way through a wonderful couple.
And of course you have all our coordinates to facilitate your next stay with us; write to me and I shall take care myself.

Please accept our kindest regards,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We were here on our last leg of our trip around Vietnam and we saved the best till last!! From the moment we arrived and were given iced ginger tea until the moment that we seen our room, which was enormous!! With an outside shower and bath which was lovely!!

As we were a honeymoon couple they threw in an hour massage each and a bottle of bubbly!! Which we had over beautiful fillet steaks on the first night! The breakfast buffet was the best we seen in Vietname and this was our 7th hotel, and you even had healthy options which some hotels just didn't offer!

Every Thursday the hotel holds a competition to see who gets the best photo of the sunset, which we didn't win as we were too bust enjoying the free cocktails and chating with other guests to show our photo!

It was lovely the fact that the hotel understood that their guests would like to go to the main town in the evening, so they put on a free speed boat to take you there! This has to be booked 2 days in advance!

I loved the personal touches, the bedtime story and chocolates at turn down, the beach bag in your wardrobe, the flip flops they gave when you arrived and the managers meeting and greeting the guests!!

We couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel to finish our honeymoon in Vietnam!!!

Room Tip: Room 201 was great, right beside the beach and the pool
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivier P P, General Manager at Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Eimear H,

We love Honeymooners…

Thank you so much for your nice and detailed comments.
We are glad that you enjoyed the “specials” that we have set up for Honeymooners.

I believe that some previous couples who did the same trip probably have a smile on their face reading your comments.

This is what it is all about, even if we are not reaching perfection yet.

Thank you once again, and to the pleasure to welcome you for your wedding anniversaries….
We shall then exceed your expectations again.

Olivier, your GM at the Chen Sea Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection

Been to Chen Sea Resort & Spa Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!