“Great location, not a resort” 3 of 5 stars

Huong Bien Hotel
01 Vo Thi Sau St | Duong Dong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Ranked #28 of 39 hotels in Phu Quoc Island
China
“Great location, not a resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

As previous reviewers have noted, this hotel is in a splendid location right next to the seafood night market. It also has its own small beach and lovely swimming pool. It is a fifteen minute stroll along the road to the "Long Beach" strip which has a plethora of restaurants, bars, laundries, mini-marts and travel agents.

Our ridiculously huge room had a balcony with a picture postcard view of the ocean. It was clean and everything worked fine except for a small water leak that seemed to come from the room next door into our bathroom. We simply requested extra bathmats and that seemed to keep the problem at bay. Obviously, some basic maintenance could have easily fixed the problem but this is Asia where nothing gets repaired until a water main bursts.

I really must reiterate that our room was massive. Despite this, the furnishings were quite spartan. We could have ballroom danced if we were so inclined. In fact, I think we could have held a small ballroom dancing competition in there. The bathroom was also large enough to do your best John Travolta/Olivia Newton John impersonation. The shower cubicle however was tiny. Maybe a trainee architect designed the hotel.

I think the main criticisms in previous reviews stem from the fact that people expect this to be a resort and it is not. There are plenty of loungers but no extra towels are supplied on the beach or at the pool. You have to use your bathroom towels and later ask the cheerful, hard-working, obliging housemaids for a swap. The remnants of a poolside bar remain but it seems to have been quite some time since drinks have been served as a matter of course at the pool or the beach.

The main clientele seem to be Asian tour groups who come with their own guide, hence the staff do not really have systems to deal with independent travellers. Upon check-in we were not given a map, told about the travel agent at the entrance to the hotel or offered any further advice. English is limited across the island but it is particularly limited at this hotel. This can become quite comical. One morning a man rang our doorbell then barged in with a ladder to fix our air-conditioner which wasn't broken. He clearly had the wrong room but no amount of gesticulation and use of bilingual phone dictionary could communicate the problem to the receptionist.

Breakfast is definitely Asian fare but excellent Vietnamese omelets are on offer. We ate breakfast both early and late and there seemed to be plenty available on both occasions.

None of these minor inconveniences mattered. We swam in the sea, lazed by the pool, went on boat trips, explored the island, ate at Long Beach restaurants and slept well in our perfectly comfortable bed at night.

The one truly unforgivable infraction was the day that they held a wedding on the beachfront without warning their guests. The ear-splitting V-pop started blasting at 3 o'clock in the afternoon while I was lounging on my balcony. It didn't cease till after 10 o'clock. Surely, it would have been courteous to tell guests that this would be happening so they could make other arrangements. Many of the resorts allow you to use their pool for free if you buy drinks. I would definitely have changed my plans and spent my afternoon/evening elsewhere. (My partner had booked to go squid fishing - don't do it. No squid to be caught and strange seafood gruel for dinner). As it turned out, I was eventually forced to flee to a restaurant at Long Beach in order to avoid the increasingly awful karaoke renditions of increasingly awful songs.

If you accept this establishment for what it is - a hotel with minimal service, you will enjoy your stay. Just don't expect the bells and whistles of a fully-fledged resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here 1 night before staying in a resort on Phu Quoc to explore Duong Dong and feast on the night market. The Hotel is nicely located next to the night market were you'll get fresh fish and sea food in every viriety (go were the locals sit they will know the place to eat).

There is nothing bad to say about the Hotel but nothing good either...the room was clean, had sea view and was quite large...

The Hotel is good for a night to explore Duong Dong and it's markets (day market on the other side of the river is more impressive as the night market which actually is an outside foodcourt for tourists) but I wouldn't recommend to stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view in the top floors, normal rooms are quite large there is no need to ask...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonds, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I don't understand where the negative reviews come from. Vietnam is a third world country. A traveler in the countryside should not expect 5-star hotels. We stayed three days and our visit could not have been better. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful. They arranged an eight hour island tour and found me some florist bouquets to give my lady on her birthday.

Room Tip: Choose water view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Halong bay, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Yep, Huong Bien hotel has the best location compared to other hotels/ resorts in Phu Quoc. That's why my wife and I chose it as our base during honeymoon week. It's next to Dinh Cau night market (the night culinary center with the cheapest seafood of Vietnam) and opposite to Phu Quoc Goverment building (so you don't need to think about the hotel security anylonger). It also offers private beach, clean and large enough. From the hotel, it's 5 mins walking along the beach to Dinh Cau lighthouse, which is another idela spot to take panorama pictures of Duong Dong fishing harbour and landscape of Duong Dong beach.

We don't recommend you stay in other hotels in Duong Dong downtown because no ones have private beach like Huong Bien. Duong Dong beach is a common beach and there are 2-3 garbage disposal lines of the town connecting right to the beach !!!! High alert.

Another option, you can choose some 4-star resorts. They're also with private beach and pool and rather tranquil. But they're at least 2 kms from the downtown and the night market hence my wife and I did not chose them.

Restaurants did a good job with daily buffet breakfasts and nice outdoor tables looking the sea.

Room Tip: All Twin beds can be combined into Double beds. So you can choose Deluxe room type, which has only T...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Huong Bien is close to everything in Phu Quoc. The night market is right outside the gate of the hotel which opens every night around 7pm. The hotel has a nice outdoor pool that looks out to the ocean. Small and narrow beach area behind hotel. Beach is not all that friendly as it attaches to the next door neighbours. Rooms are clean and efficient. Good breakfast on the rooftop with a great view of the harbour. Front desk is great where they offer currency exchange. Free wi-fi throughout the hotel. Great free shuttle service to and from the airport. helpful staff. a bit pricy. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We visited Phu Quoc with a tour for 3 days/2 nights - Arrived early morning, we were greeted with our very pleasant tour guide. He took us to this hotel to check in and were offered their complimentary breakfast on 2nd level. Breakfast was good - great view of the water. Thought the hotel was not as bad as we thought. Then the nightmare starts - we checked into a room which we thought was ocean view but yet we got a view of the alley. The room was dirty with red spots all over the wall, dirty slippers, warm fridge (leaking water), dirty towels, cracked sink, dirty linens, dead bugs underneath the mattress, spider webs with dead bugs on the top corner of the wall, and many more disgusting things.. so we called down to the front desk and asked for a room move. A male receptionist answered the phone and rudely said the hotel is sold out and there are no other rooms available. He hung up! I called again, and demanded to speak to a manager. They asked a housekeeper to come up to check the room. She came and didn't even say a word. She took the dirty towels and walked away. We complained to our tour guide. He came to look at the room and was disgusted. We finally did move to another room but it was worse than the first room. The staff are horrible, the hotel should be shut down unless they have a new management and renovate their rooms again. Even our tour guide said, he will contact his tour company and will not have their groups stay there again!!!! But overall, Phu Quoc is a beautiful island and great place to visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We just checked in today 5/20/12. At first look at the lobby the place looked rubbished and runned down. The receptionist was pretty rude. He asked for the Passports of me and my girlfriend and said he is too busy to enter the information at that moment and will keep it until we check out. We were then lead to our room which at first look was not a very pleasing sight. The room was dark and it over-looked the front entrance of the hotel with very poor looking shrubs. My girlfriend voiced her concern about the hotel staff keeping our passports as the staff does not seem professional nor friendly. We went out and demanded for the passports back and their english was more than below average. Luckily I can speak vietnamese and told them we needed the passports back. They made every excuse to not return them to us. I told them they can photocopy it and give the originals back. They then wanted to keep our visas in place of the passports. We weren't ok with them keeping anything but we were too tired to fight about it so we let them keep it. We returned to our room and dropped stuff off and went to the 3rd floor for the lunch that was included in our package. It runned down, ugly, hot, the linens were heavily stained and dirty. The drinking glass had dry black sediments at the bottom. I watched as one of the servers was clearing another table where the customers just finished eating. He used a plastic duster to sweep the the crumbs and pieces of food that was dropped on the table to clean the tables.I was wondering who gave this place a 3 star rating. I had stayed at other places with no stars which were much better and cleaner than this. After we returned to our room from lunch, I was inspecting why our room was so dark and hot, my girlfriend comes running out of the bathroom screaming as she was being chased out by one of the biggest cockroach I've seen in the longest time. I called the receptionist to let them know that 3 lights in the room was out and before I could tell him about the cockroach he said he will send somebody. The guy who came was not friendly. I warned him not to step on the roach and have someone come clean it up. He fixed the light and on his way out kicked the roach out of the room as if it was a soccer ball and closed the doors behind him without saying a single word to us. Then I called and asked them to come a check our air conditioner because the remote was in Japanese. Unfortunately I can only speak 3 languages and Japanese was not one of them. I was rethinking with my girlfriend as to leave now and we can just drop the tour package we haven't paid for yet. But my girlfriend reassured me that they are not going to return our visas if we did. I had a damned good feeling she was right. Hopefully thing will get better after one night, I doubt that it will but just hopeful.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking here I'm sure you can get much better hotels than this place for cheape...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Huong Bien Hotel? Share your experiences!