“well kept secret!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Scuba Seraya Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulamben
Scuba Seraya Resort
Tulamben Karangasem | Bali Indonesia, Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Tulamben
Brussels, Belgium
“well kept secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

a wonderful welcome (as always in indonesia),a simply very good resort,friendly staff,very competent diving staff(+smile and kind advice),extraordinary dives-if you love critters,but,there are bigger things around too:sharks,bunmpheads,batfishes,rays etc-A kind of mini-lembeh!
Beautiful garden..What else?(I missed fish on the menu,but ok,the rest was quite palatable)
all in all:perfect stay with nice people,not crowded and just relaxing.I rarely visit twice the same place:this will be an exception!
Thanks to you all

Room Tip: try the villas in front of the sea,they are real luxury and relax
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

In complete contrast to the review below, we had an amazing time at Scuba Seraya and were really impressed by the quality and standard of the resort as well as the hospitality and service provided by all the staff.

Right from our arrival with welcome drinks we were made to feel relaxed and the beachfront views really give you that peace and tranquility you search for when on holiday. We stayed in one of the standard rooms and found the size to be more than adequate, with a four poster bed with mozzie nets making the room look romantic but effortless, a large lockable wardrobe with safe deposit box and a desk area. Yes there is no TV but i don't come on holiday to sit and watch TV. The bathrooms are really nice as the shower is outside but basin and toilet partially covered. We experienced none of the noise or disturbances as the guest mentioned below but am sure if anything had been a problem they would have been more than happy to help as all the staff were outstanding.

We ate at the restaurant every day for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and were impressed by the selection of meals on offer (not masses but not too little) and the quality was really good also. I have been dreaming about their special chocolate cake ever since!

I had two massages and these were not the cheapest in Bali by any stretch but really good and so convenient that I didn't have to leave the resort.

We didn't dive with the on-site school as we had booked our advanced certification with Bali Diving Academy who had sorted our stay at Seraya for us but the set-up looked professional. The resort really caters to divers with the extra dive towels and places to hang wet stuff and is the perfect place to relax between dives.

We will definitely return to Tulamben and will most likely stay at the Seraya as our time there just wasn't enough.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine and have everything you need. The villas looked pretty nice though.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived at Scuba Seraya for the second half of our 2 weeks stay in the area, we found the rooms to be cramped and very small, tiny pillows and a hard old bed, no fridge or TV in the 2 rooms we stayed in.

We had a bad experience on the first three days as a new building was going up on the grounds next door, we could not nap between dives due to the noise of the workman, the last straw was when we tried to use the outdoor bathroom to find 6 workman on the roof looking down into our bathroom and shower all day and into the evening. We could not use our bathroom at all and had to use the public toilet and showers down at the dive area.

We eventually got moved to another room with a family of 5 next door to us in a single room, the young children woke up each night at about 1am crying and screaming waking us up.

The whole experience left a sour taste in our mouth for the week we stayed at Seraya, other than an apology no compensation was offered.

When we got our diving bill we found we had been charged $30 US for each dive we did on the house reef, walk into the water from the resort even though we did not use a guide for the whole stay.

Internet was being charged at $5US per hour.

The diving, dive guides, dive staff and food was fantastic and the saving grace for Scuba Seraya sadly though not a place we would stay again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it stay in the Villas, the back rooms are very small, have old beds, tiny pillows...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Positives:
The service was of a high standard.
The food was reasonably priced given the isolation of the resort.
The grounds were well kept and provided for a romantic setting, especially when dining at night fifty metres from the ocean.
The dive centre was excellent. The equipment rental was of a reasonable standard, the staff were knowledgeable and extremely helpful, and dive times were organised to suit our preferences. Highly professional and very impressive (I have over 100 dives all over the world.).

The Negatives
The one fault we found was the $200 villa, which was not worth the money. It had a four post bed and views of the ocean but that represented the only value. The two pillows were different sizes and a different softness. There was no tv or phone and the outdoor fridge was rusted; while I realise Tulamben is somewhat isolated, if an establishment wishes to charge western prices... Finally, the cleaning was shocking! I found two band-aids in the shower! That aside, I unfortunately ruptured my eardrum and bled slightly on the pillow in three places. The pillowcase was not replaced but the pillow was merely turned over! I spoke to management who informed me the villas were "usually cleaned every other day"! At $200 per night? Wtf?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Queen Creek, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was staying on the other side of Bali so this was a three hour trek to come over and scuba dive on the wreck. The room was clean, simple but very cheap. When you did as many dives as I did, you sleep very well! The staff was very nice and attentive to all of my needs. It was off season and there was only one other set of people so the service was awesome. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is going their to scuba dive! that is what this place caters to....Scuba Divers!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This resort has the most jovial and fun-loving dive guides we have found so far, they really made the days fun! (And took your mind off having to climb into a speedboat to get to your dive sites!)
The room was really lovely (the oceanfront villas have outdoor beds you can lounge in to watch the oceans waves crash or see a gorgeous sunrise!)
The restaurant had many options and everything was tasty, but if you want to go into Tulemben for dinner it's as easy as asking the ladies at the counter (the totally run the show!)
(Actually, the resort offers a variety of land-trips which they don't list on the website - so just ask the restaurant ladies, they know all! We did a all-day driving tour to/from Ubud and it was amazing!!!)
The diving got a little repetitive after about 4 days, BUT it's totally worth it to do Liberty Wreck twice (you can't see it all in one dive anyway) AND the house reef had some of the largest critters we found during our stay, it's really a good time!
The dive schedule was very relaxed (we were there about a week before the real "busy season" began, so pretty much we got to decide when/where we wanted to go diving. 7am? Ok, boss. 8:30 sounds better? No problem!
(Be aware - you need dive boots to cross the stoney beach to get into the boats! Bare feet hurt!)
Overall - excellent, relaxing, luxurious stay :) Tell Joey the giant house-reef eel we say hi.

Room Tip: Everything is close to the water, even the garden rooms have great views, but the ocean front villas...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Positive experience for my 1st travel and dive experience in Bali. I traveled solo and had no dive buddies which posed no problems at all. This was my 1st stop in a multi destination dive trip lasting over 30days. I stayed 6 nites and did up to 5 dives a day including night dives. Great start to what was an awesome Indonesia dive vacation

Resort staff was very accommodating to my needs even though I arrived after hours, nearly midnight. Airport to resort transportation went smoothly. Accommodations were excellent, property manicured and maintained. Ocean front views even from garden bungalows. Outside open air covered dining hall.

Dive staff experienced and very knowledgeable and accommodating. Dive staff adjusting the dive schedule based on what I wanted to do. Water temp(78F) and visibility(35-100Ft) was much better than I expected. Dive guides sought out and located nearly all the critters I requested. Guides were caring and cautious of the fragile aquatic life.

I arranged to do several land based tours that I did on my final day as I traveled back to Denpasar to continue my travel plans. Excellent resort experience.

Room Tip: Did not make use of any services besides dive and restaurant which were both excellent.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Scuba Seraya Resort? Share your experiences!