“Accommodation and diving in very reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

Liberty Dive Resort
Jalan Raya Tulamben, Tulamben, Bali 80853, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Tulamben
Hong Kong, China
“Accommodation and diving in very reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This resort is conveniently located. My cottage room is very spacious and spotless clean. What I mean clean is even all shelvings inside the wardrobe and under the working table are dust-free. They also changed fresh towels on a daily basis too.

Restaurant is airy and is located next to the swimming pool. Staff is very friendly. They have a big selection of food and drinks on the menu. However, quality of the food is average. Simple local dishes like Nasi Goreng and Mee Goreng were not cooked properly. Fried rice and fried noodles were to the wet side. If they can make it drier, it would be perfect.

The receptionists are friendly as well. However, their organization skill is very disappointing. I booked a car to go to Candidasa 24 hours in advance. When I approached the Reception 3 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time, the lady behind the counter gave me a blank look. She even asked me a stupid question like “Did you book the car for 6 pm in the morning or in the afternoon?” Long story short. Though my request was clearly written on the whiteboard, the staff forgot to arrange the car. I ended up waiting for 23 minutes for them to call in a car on the spot.

My main purpose to Tulamben is for diving. It is good that they provided free Nitrox. Their dive guides are very good in spotting tiny critters. Other than that, they are very attentive during every entrance and exit of all shore dives. My gears were properly washed everyday after I finished the dives.

Despite of the minor flaw mentioned in paragraph 3, this will not stop me from returning to this resort in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more for the cottage room. It is worth every dollar spent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our second stay at LDR, the staff as usual made us feel very welcome from check in to check out, my wife is a non diver so she spent her time relaxing by the pool or in our spacious air conditioned Garden cottage with comfy bed, plenty of bench space for camera gear laptops etc.

I was there for the diving and I was not disappointed, Meggar was my dive guide on this trip and he was exceptional, especially his ability to find tiny critters for me to photograph that I would have no hope of finding myself, he also made sure that all my dive gear was assembled prior to diving and at the end of each dive all my gear was cleaned and rinsed I didnt have to do a thing other than take care if my camera gear, utter bliss.

The other bonus for divers at this resort is that Nitrox is supplied at no extra charge !! Great for those of us that are doing three or four dives a day.

The restaurant had plenty of choice and variety also at very reasonable prices, the breakfast is included in the tariff and was a great way to start the day

Wayan the owner of this amazing resort arranged to pick us up and return us to Sanur at very reasonable cost.

I thoroughly recommend LDR and will be going back here again.

Room Tip: The Garden cottages are spacious and very reasonably priced
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The resort consists of 20 bungalows and villas, with wonderful gardens, 2 swimming pools, a restaurant and a dive shop. It is about 100 yards (or meters) to the beach from where you access the wreck of the Liberty.
This is such a pretty resort, but what made my stay so much more enjoyable was the staff. There are lots of beautiful places in the world but what draws me back to Bali is the Balinese people - probably the nicest people who I have ever met. This is particularly true at the Liberty Dive Resort - the friendly environment was such a huge part of the enjoyment of my vacation.
The villas are wonderful - plenty of room, spotlessly clean and air-conditioned.
Massages are also available for $10/hr.
I will definitely return to this resort again.
Note that there is no ATM in Tulamben, while the resort accepts credit cards, get your rupiah at the airport or other facilities in the south, before heading to the LDR.

Room Tip: The villas cost only a few dollars more per night and are so worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is our second visit to Liberty Dive Resort, having visited in June 2011. We would not stay anywhere else, and recommend this resort as a fantastic place to stay and dive. We were again extremely happy with the resort, the staff and the dive crew. It's like coming home!
Since we were last here the resort has doubled in size, and now has two pools, so non divers can now relax around the new pool or enjoy a massage. We stayed in one of the cottages this time, and it was very spacious, the grounds are really well presented.
Wayan the manager, once again organised everything for us, including transport without any fuss. The restaurant staff are really friendly and love to try to teach you Indonesian, the food is good - loved the chicken curry!
We were in Tulamben for the diving, and again, we were so happy with the service offered by Liberty. We requested our dive guide Wayan again, and were lucky to have him with us for the whole 10 days, diving 3 or 4 times a day. He was able to find most of the critters on our wish list, searching relentlessly until he found the things we wanted, and finding things we would never have even known to look for. Wherever and whenever we wanted to dive, it was organised without a problem, including gear, transport and jukungs! The whole dive crew and transport staff are so friendly and helpful.
Thanks to all at Liberty Dive Resort for a fantastic holiday, we were sad to leave, and we are already looking forward to our next visit here.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights recently, and really enjoyed it. The hotel complex is quite large, but tastefully arranged with immaculately kept gardens, paths and pools. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and had a similar experience with the diving arm of the hotel, which is also professionally run and has high standards.

My only minor gripe is that the hotel needs a dedicated Balinese chef, and the kitchen really needs an upgrade, as the hotel has simply outgrown it. As a result the food is a little below standard, and I was left disappointed as I had hoped to taste some authentic local cuisine while I stayed here. Otherwise I would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Port Douglas, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks and had a great time! We came here mainly for diving but also being parents to a three year old we were a bit worried wether this would be the right place for a family holiday. We didn’t need to worry, the family cottage had plenty of room for all of us and the resort offered us to look after our daughter (at no cost!!!!) so we could go diving together. Staff are all well trained, incredibly (child) friendly and attentive, so we felt comfortable leaving for while. A big thanks to Coman and all the other lovely girls who were always prepared and ready for a little play with our daughter.

The resort provides for everything you need for a relaxed holiday, welcoming and warm atmosphere, clean and modern rooms (although bathroom could do with a bit of an update), beautifully manicured gardens, two pools with sun chairs, lovely staff and a restaurant with yummy food. We loved the Indonesian dishes, but try the pizzas too, one of the best we’ve ever tasted!

Diving is amazing, certainly one of the best in Bali. Our guide Mega spotted everything and showed us many creatures that would have been hidden to our eyes. Great place for macro photographers. Mega looked after us, set up our gear, got it ready for transport, excellent service. There is no dive schedule, your guide follows your schedule and you can dive whenever and how often you like. The wreck is only a few minutes walk to the beach, but there are plenty other amazing dive spots within a few minutes drive. We stayed for two weeks here and could have dived in three different spots every day. it’s well worth staying a bit longer, although most people only seem to stay a few days. The wreck is spectacular but I wouldn’t want to miss all the other places we have seen.

The countryside around Tulamben is one of the last unspoilt areas in Bali, so it’s well worth taking a driver an go for a sightseeing tour, see some fishing villages, temples and beautiful rice terraces. Ask in the Hotel for Ricky, he runs a local family transport business and will take you anywhere it’s worth going or wherever you like.

A great place for a holiday, we’ll certainly come back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights and were very well looked after. The staff were friendly, the rooms were comfortable and we were well fed at the restaurant. Our dive guide, Yaman, looked after our every need and showed us some amazing creatures that we would never have seen if they hadn't been pointed out to us. Ketut made sure we got safely to and from the airport (allow at least 3 hours for this trip). The USAT Liberty is close to the resort and we are very pleased we stayed here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Liberty Dive Resort? Share your experiences!