“Beautiful, relax, the best resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Kubu-Abang, Tulamben, Bali 80853, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Tulamben
BKK
“Beautiful, relax, the best resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

With the sea view in front and moutain view at the back, from the second floor can see both!
Nice swimming pool next to the restaurant.
Many nice area to sit around.
Room was clean and nice,
Good taste of food, best restaurant around here.
And very good price.
We will be back here again and again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I started our Bali trip at the Matahari Resort a few weeks ago. Our stay was very nice, the food excellent/well priced. We did the full day dive package which we both loved. The service was really great. A couple of things to consider though:

1. We flew in about 5 pm but where picked up about 2 hours later by the resort driver. If you have a driver scheduled for your trip, it may be more convenient/timely to have him take you to the resort. For us, we had to call several times to the resort to see what the issue was. We were told several times that the driver was at the near by Starbucks, waiting (we were told in an email and the first phone call that the driver will meet up as the arrival terminal with our names on a sign). When we got to the Starbucks, it was another 45 mins and a phone call for the driver to actually arrive. I've read that this may be an issue on another review.

This is not placing blame on the resort or the driver. Just an FYI. The traffic in the city is terrible and the driver from Tulamben has a three hour drive to the airport so he/she can not predict the condition of the traffic or roads. This is why it may be more convenient to have a local driver pick you up.

2. The accommodations are budget but pleasant. We stayed just one day to do the full day dive package. Outside the resort, there is just one main road with shops along both sides. Besides diving, there isn't much else to do. If we didn't do the full day divining, I could see us staying another day to do a dive or two and relax/read. The resort has a great café, a small pool, and an overall nice vibe.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor probably get more of a breeze.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Sofya, thanks for take your time to make nice report about us. Sorry, for the driver: We apologize about that. Normally it's no problem and he is there in time and easy to find him. But we take your feedback serious and now we send the driver earlier. You are right in the moment in Sanur its really big traffic because the road there is under constraction and we hope it will be better soon. Anyway: thanks for stay with us and we are happy you enjoyed it. Suci and the whole TEAM
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I completed my open water diver course here in this resort. The dive shop and the nearby dive spots are really nice. Many divers come here to dive during my stay. The liberty wreck dive spot can easily get crowded in the afternoon.

My instructor Disupardita is very nice and patient. As a plus, he speaks above-the-average English as a Balinese. When I first started the course, I was a little afraid of mask clearing and mouse-piece clearing. It turns out that my mouse-piece wasn't a good fit and we end up finding a smaller mouse-piece for me which later on fits perfectly. The beauty of the underwater world quickly calm me down and gets me motivated. My husband was initially signed up for the course as well. But he couldn't finish the course because or some ear pain. I was relieved to learn that the resort can refund some money back to us. I dived twice at coral garden (easier), twice at Liberty Wreck. After I complete my course, I signed up for an extra dive with Disupardita at Drop-off. During this dive, my primary mouse piece was broken. But I was calm and quickly switched to the secondary mouse piece at the depth of around 15 meters, thanks to D's great teaching. For the last three dives, I rented an underwater camera to take pictures. I would really recommend you to bring good camera if you are serious about diving. My pictures comes out ok, but way worse than what I actually saw.

About the resort, the reason I didn't give 5 star is that the room we stayed in was really small and basic. The major complaint about the room is that there isn't a desk. Luckily my husband and I are not picky especially considering the cheap package we get.

Overall, I recommend this place for diving.

Larnaka, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed in the cheape3st rooms which are fan only, and surprisingly for Indonesia include hot water! the breakfast included is a la carte but of very good quality with both eastern and western selections. You can even get fresh fruit juices aswell as coffee included at breakfast which for the room price of about $15 a night is very good. The hotel restuarant is well located on the edge of the water (sea) with good views from upstairs, so eating was a real pleasure.
The food was reasonably priced for a hotel and of good quality overall- its a pity the staff tried short changing a few customers on more than one occasion when it came to paying the bill...

The hotel is only about 200 metres from the famous shipwreck which is only about 25 metres offshore and is very easy and probably best to snorkel rather than dive. Loads of fish and quite good visibility underwater aswell- it was a real pleasure.

There are only a few small downsides- Tulamben is mainly a pebbly beach with some black sand
secondly this hotel advertises a swimming pool but its tiny and was green when I visited - ie forget it! but what do you expect for the price...
although the hotel food is good I found a small seafood restuarant going up the hill about 15 minutes walk away that did fantastic whole fresh grilled snapper with sauce and bits, and free fruit for dessert all for about $7.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Sorry but our pool pump had problems and now our pool is already very nice, even not so big. For restaurant I prepare more small money for the staff. Hope it will be fine now.
Thanks a lot for the good feedback and that you took your time to recommand our place. Suci
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I could define dive locations anywhere I wanted and they always tried best to serve.
Dive center was located next to beach and convenient. Good Foods, Nice service and great dives. What can I ask more?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I just did my dive trip from May 8 to May 12 2013 in this resort. For the offered package price of approximately US$ 450-500, you already get airport transfers, accommodation, unlimited shore dives in Tulamben, 1 day dives in Amed and another 1 day dives in Kubu or Seraya (depending on your preference). Ibu Komang Suci, the owner, are very helpful with planning your stay there before confirming what kind of package you wanted to have. So, you can always email Ibu Komang Suci or the staff to get your plan right before getting there. The rooms are all in good condition, air-conditioned, hot showers, and other basic amenities you need in the room.

The location and the dives.

The location of the resort made it easy for every divers who wanted to do multiple dives within Tulamben area, including the infamous USS Liberty Wreck, the Drop Off, and the Coral Garden. Recently they have discover several new dive spots around the Drop Off and Batu Kelebit, namely the Alamanda and the Palung-Palung. New ship wreck can be visited in Kubu, fascinating coral gardens and more marine life to see. The divemasters are all very knowledgeable on all of the dive sites and marine life, and friendly, thus providing you with a very good dive experience.

The dive center opens from 6am until 8-9pm everyday, providing services for those who wish to do sunrise, sunset or night dive. They are also providing diving courses and certified by SSI.

The food

A friend said that they have delicious sets of food in the restaurant, which in fact they do. In the package you took, you will get several meals (breakfast, lunches, and dinners) included in the package, depending on your stay in the Resort. If you ordered more F&Bs outside your package, they will include the bill for you to pay during your check out. The price of the food is reasonable considering there are several other dive resorts next door.

Personal Opinion:
It was my first dive trip to Tulamben and surroundings, and I am happy to have choose Matahari for my trip and sure, I will definitely return again for another diving experience with them.

Cheers,
Hafidz

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the restaurant are good to choose. Looks like a decent bungalow.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Satun, Satun, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed quite long (2 weeks) in Mathari Tulamben Resort because we were traveling with an infant of course we did some superb diving and not only the US Liberty is a dive spot you have to see there are many more places (f. e. corall garden, dropp off, etc.).
The staff was very friendly and helped us with every question we had, they gave us information where to go and what to do and there where lovely with the child too.
The pool is too deep for children or only with adults and the ocean can sometimes be rough but we managed to find a lot places to play. Thanks everyone for the nice holiday.

Room Tip: As a family you should take the superier or family room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Matahari Tulamben Resort, Dive & SPA? Share your experiences!