After a lot of research and visits on our last trip to Bali, we settled on Kayana for this trip as we love the locations and the property itself. I booked well in advance an specifically requested a 'quiet' room away from street noise, and nightclub noise in particular, as I had read reports about the nightclub out next door. I also requested a 'sunny' villa in order to be able to sunbathe by our plunge pool. So, after a late arrival into Bali and a mass of people at the airport, we finally arrived at Kayana. We were made to feel welcome and registration was quick. We were escorted to our villa and I was surprised that it was close to reception, but said nothing as we were tired. All was running along smoothly until Thursday night arrived and the Nightclub started; the music plays constantly from about 9pm to I think about 4am. Obviously we had no sleep that evening, so I went to reception the following morning to request a room change. Unfortunately the property was fully booked so we could not be moved. I explained that I had made specific requests prior to arrival which were noted, but obviously were not met. There also was no sun over our plunge pool, so no sunbathing in private. I was unhappy with the outcome and stated as much, but all that could be offered was a move to another property, which was not an option for us as we liked the position and the tranquillity (other than the loud music). We were offered earplugs which we accepted, but these hardly made a difference. So, for another two nights we had to endure the noise, and thus no sleep!
Staff were apologetic and sincere, but I was unhappy nonetheless. I asked for a discount on our room rate to compensate, but was offered only a small amount, so asked for other benefits such as free laundry and a massage which which was agreed upon. We enjoyed the next couple of days until check out day arrived, and once a gain we received another blow; no late check out possible as property was fully booked! I had requested this also in advance, but to no avail. I must say that I was once again unhappy as our flight was until midnight! All they could do was offer us a room for a few hours at another property which I would have to pay for; there was no way I would pay even more than I already had agreed to. I asked what else could be done so that we wouldn't have to leave, so they offered us a shower in the spa later that day; not ideal, but at least we could stay until departure. We had our complimentary massages and were met by the resort manager afterwards who apologised but said there was not a villa available, and we would have to check out by 1pm at the latest as our villa was expecting an arrival. He offered us another massage which we declined, but offered us a complimentary lunch which was appreciated. We spent the remainder of the afternoon around the property and outside in the area, and when it was time to shower and go for dinner before our departure, we noticed that the villa we had stayed in was not occupied, and even up to 9:00pm when we finally left, it was still unoccupied.
We are very frequent visitors to Bali, and Seminyak in particular, and I must admit this is the first negative review I have written about a property. We are an easy going family and appreciate the kindness and hospitality offered by the Balinese, which is why I found this experience so disappointing. I was only in Bali for 6 nights, and because three of those were sleepless, I have come home more tired than when we arrived! My advice to anyone planning a stay at Kayana is to request a villa in the high teens/twenties well away from the front of the property; obviously this can't be guaranteed as was our experience, but request nonetheless. Apart from our negative experiences, the property itself is lovely and serene, and even when at full occupancy, you rarely see another guest. The butlers are great and so happy when they deliver your breakfast each morning; they couldn't do enough for you. Breakfast was good and plentiful with more than enough options to choose from. The villas themselves are lovely and well set out; the main pool area is also nice, and the complimentary afternoon refreshment a nice touch. I would gladly return to Kayana, but only if my room request could be guaranteed!
- Also Known As:
- The Kayana Bali Hotel
- The Kayana Bali Hotel Seminyak
- Kayana Bali Seminyak
- Kayana Bali Hotel Seminyak
- The Kayana Bali Seminyak
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kayana is the one of the preferred villas in Seminyak, boasting a reputation for quality accommodation at agreeable rates. The 24 separate villas are positioned just off a winding pathway, flanked with frangipani trees and tropical foliage. Surrounded by pristine gardens and rich in the rewards that fresh open air brings, a stay at The Kayana offers guests total privacy and tranquility. Situated next door to W hotel and close to Potato Head, Huu Bar, Kudeta and surrounded by good restaurants and boutiques. Just 15 minutes by walking to public beach and 20 minutes by walking to Seminyak center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, HotelsClick, AsiaRooms, Otel, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your The Kayana Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.