“2nd stay - not perfect but still good!” 4 of 5 stars

Sun Island Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Seminyak 188, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia   |
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Seminyak
Adelaide, Australia
“2nd stay - not perfect but still good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My wife and I returned to this property in May 2014. We originally stayed here in March 2013 on our honeymoon and were so blown away that we vowed to return.

However, our second time wasn't as good....

The airconditioning unit in our villa didn't seem to be working too well. We reported it on the first day, an engineer came and said he'd fixed it. That night, there was a leak from the unit onto the floor, someone else came and said it was sorted. However, despite it being set to 16degrees and being on full, the room felt warm.

The next day, we had people on the roof of our villa for roughly 2-3 hours regassing the external unit. This appeared to have fixed things until we heard this loud explosion and it stopped working again.

Finally, the team decided to replace the whole unit with a brand new one - which finally resolved things.

Now, I understand that these things happen, but not once during the course of this experience was a villa change offered or suggested. I was advised that they were running at 92% which would have meant that a substitute villa may not have been available but it did mean that the first 2.5 days of our relaxing holiday in Bali was predominantly spent with technicians and engineers in and out of our villa and our privacy and comfort was compromised on.

My only other gripe was with a salad my wife ordered from room service. It had a bug in it. No big deal, the staff removed the charge and offered to replace it. It was handled perfectly.

The saving grace for this establishment is in the quality of their employees. Everyone had a smile, most of them remembered us and it is for this reason that Sun Island will continue to be our destination of choice should we return to Seminyak.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SunIslandS, General Manager at Sun Island Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Ish G,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

Thank you for choosing to stay in our resort for the second time, I highly appreciate your trust. I am sad to know that it wasn't as pleasant your first stay. I apologize for what had happened with the air conditioning in your room that had disturbed your vacation. I agree with you that the issue should have been anticipated faster. Thank you for bringing up the issue with regard to the salad. Even though we did fix the problem, I had made sure that our Food & Beverage department will pay more careful attention to details in the future. Thank you for your kind word on my staff. I promise you that we will keep delivering service from the heart and making each stay an indulging on. Despite the incidents, I am sincerely hoping that you will plan another getaway in Bali with us. My team and I are looking forward to your third visit to your home-away-from-home.

All the best,

Ismullah, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The pictures on the website betray the truth of the resort. Overall very nice and friendly staff which made up for it. The rooms felt dirty and there were lizards all over. You could hear them and see them defacate on the floor or in the bathroom. There was also a smell coming out from the shower/bathroom which was next to to the bedroom area. Location was ok but not the best to be in seminyak. As with a lot of resorts in Bali, what you see in the pictures is not what you would get. Would not go again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DistantTraveller8,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

I trust my message finds you well. Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us last year. I am sad to know that it was below your expectation. However, I would like to thank you for bringing up your concerns to my attention. Our Housekeeping do a high standard of cleaning in all rooms in our villas, especially since we use dark tiles flooring that is sensitive to foot prints. In response to your comment on house lizards, as common as they are in a tropical area, we do proper pest control regularly. I wish you'd reported it to our reception while you were still in-house to give us a chance to solve the problem. On a different note, I highly appreciate your positive word on my staff. Despite the impression you had on us, I am hoping that you will plan another getaway in the beautiful island of Bali in the future.

Warmest regards,

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sun Island Villas! The villas were excellent and just what we expected. Very clean, very private and so relaxing with the private pool. Awesome! It was our 10 years wedding anniversary trip and the best choice we made.

The staffs were so welcoming, very polite and helpful. Always full of smiles. They attended to our services by booking some trips for us. Had a chauffeur for just us during our trips. And he was very kind thank you Ngura for driving us around.

Great villa for our special vacation and no regrets at all. A big thank you to all the staffs at Sun Island Villa. It's definitely a place to stay!

Barbara & xavier

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SunIslandS, General Manager at Sun Island Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Barbara G,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review of your stay. I am delighted to learn that you had an amazing stay. Thank you for sharing your experience and complimenting my staff for their service. Please rest assured that we will always strive to deliver service from the heart and give our guests a memorable stay. My team and I are looking forward to your next stay!

Yours sincerely,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

stayed here for 2 nights. very clean and confortable. the servuce from the staff is great and always so helpful.

its also located along the street where there are many shops and cafes right outside the resort.

the only complain is that the bathroom seems a bit clogged. the water doesnt go down quickly, so u always get a little flood when you are showering.

Dear elementz2014,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am happy to know that you made most of your time in your getaway. I appreciate your comment with regard to the drain in the bathroom. Our Engineering team checked on it and fixed the problem. Thank you for your compliments on our staff and highlight of our location. I am hoping that you will plan another getaway with us, hopefully, in a not-too-distant future.

Looking forward to your next stay,

mornington, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is 2nd time here & didn't disappoint. Was just as good as the last time we were here 6 months ago. Staff are always friendly & very helpful. Our one bed pool villa was perfect with a huge bed large comfy pillows & excellent air con & amenities. The pool is lovely & clean & the perfect size, with a sun lounge each & umbrella & pool towels. The wi-fi is strong no matter where you are on the premises, be it communal pool area, bar or your villa. Free afternoon tea is a bonus, is always tasty & changes daily, coffee is good too..You are so central to all that Seminyak has to offer plus only 200 meters from bintang supermarket where you can get all your food & drink supplies. We love it here & can't recommend higher. Looking forward to our next visit

Room Tip: Ask for a villa where the pool gets the sun
Dear Lee C,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

It was pleasant to hear from you, especially after knowing that you had stayed with us twice and you loved both times. Thank you for your trust, and for sharing the detail of your stay with other travelers. Your praises have been passed on to my team who will continue delivering the best service from the heart we are known for. We will look forward to welcoming you back in your home-away-from-home!

Best regards,

Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Been here for three nights and it was o.k., but disapointing if you compare it to what tripadvisor showed. The villa's and furniture where dated and not very clean. About the location; it's near a big street, and a buzy town, but you won't hear to much if you close your doors. Sometimes we heart many dogs bark, no idea where it came from. Let me say that the staff was very nice! They made the stay better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Fleur K,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us in April. I am disheartened to know that you did not experience a flawless stay; nevertheless, I sincerely appreciate your honest feedback. It surely will be a reference for us to improve our facilities in the future. Our flooring uses dark-colored tiles that are sensitive to foot prints, however we do high standard cleaning every day. Thank you for complimenting my staff and mentioning our strategic location. Despite the notes you made, I am hoping that you will plan another getaway with us in the future.

Looking forward to your next stay,

sunshine coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Have just returned from a five night stay at Sun Island Villa and Spa. We chose a deluxe pool villa and could not have been more impressed. The villa was very spacious and immaculately presented. With your choice of either the main resort pool or your own private plunge pool to refresh in after scouring the many local boutiques. A complimentary afternoon tea is offered poolside each afternoon along with happy hour cocktails. Breakfast was included in our stay with a freshly cooked selection along with buffet items. Highly recommended for massages and treatments is the Island Spa with one hour massages at $26 Aus. Staff were very friendly and obliging and we would highly recommend Sun Island to our friends

Dear silvergull,

Greetings from Sun Island Boutique Villas & Spa!

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with is last April. I am very happy to know that your getaway went amazing and you loved all aspects of your stay. Thank you for your compliments on our staff, breakfast and other services and facilities. I am sincerely hoping that you will plan another getaway with us in a not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Ismullah, General Manager

Been to Sun Island Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!