We have just returned from Ulin Villas after a 5 night stay (before that we stayed at Cicada Luxury Townhouses for 5 nights and have also reviewed that property).
Ulin is really very, very lovely and picturesque. I don't think however that it lives up to all of the hype here on TA or maybe I just had way too high expectations following reading all of that (like hearing about a top movie in advance?). It's beautiful, definitely, and the staff are really lovely people. I completely agree that Wira is a lovely, approachable and helpful staff member. We had a 5 hour shopping trip included in our package and instead Wira offered that we could use the driver to take us out to Echo Beach one day. The included massages were also enjoyed in the spa but despite being offered a 40% discount on spa pricing in our package we continued to have massages elsewhere. It was a nice massage but nothing spectacular so I am glad not to have paid US pricing for it.
The included mini bar is this: 2 beer, 2 coke, 2 diet coke, 2 sprite, 2 tonic, 1 tortilla chip, 1 honey peanut. It would be nice to see maybe some juice or non-carbonated options perhaps for those not too keen on all the fizz?
The lighting of all of the candles around the pool really sets the scene here and I can see how this would just be a honeymooner's delight! So beautiful and romantic. The mosquitos here drove us crazy though and after not sustaining a bite for 6 days prior our daughter looked like she had been attacked by the time we left. Unfortunately a lot of the bites got infected from her scratching. They don't do the hazing thing here and I think the timber framed windows let a lot of little critters in at night.
There are two things that would stop me returning to Ulin. Firstly, the bed. It is quite seriously the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on and I have travelled in Asia quite a bit. Hard is an understatement. The pillows are fantastic but there's not enough to cover the bed to sleep on them alone! Linens are great and changed daily. Secondly, the breakfasts. We only ate breakfast there twice and then dined elsewhere the rest of the time. My husband wouldn't even let me get us the included BBQ lunch/dinner as he hated the food so much. We tried 6 things from the menu and they were all gross. Cold, limp, yuck. Even the eggs benedict cooked in the room was not enjoyed. The juices were even disgusting. Although, not the welcome juice - that was lovely.
The location is excellent - straight up the lane between Ultimo and Trattoria. You can park the scooter right out the front, there is security there 24 hours. I also noticed a lot of bikes, maybe they rent them out or lend them to guests? We had a scooter so never asked about it. Also the gym is not really up to standard so probably don't worry about packing gym gear - although why would you in Bali when there is just too many great places to eat, drink and relax?
I don't want to give the impression that Ulin Villas is not a great place to stay. It was nice but there were some problems for us, so I thought I would write a review that balances some of that out for people interested in another view point.
- Also Known As:
- The Ulin Villas And Spa
- The Ulin Villas Hotel
- The Ulin Villas Hotel Seminyak
- The Ulin Villas & Spa Bali/Seminyak
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover an intimate award-winning boutique villa experience in the heart of Seminyak, Bali’s most fashionable destination to dine, drink and dance. The Ulin Villas and Spa is steps away to an array of most sought-after restaurants, chic boutiques, funky shops and within walking distance from the white sand beach for which the island of Bali is famed. It’s a tropical retreat that invites seasoned travelers to experience each day as it slowly evolves. Offering luxury living space, cutting-edge Balinese design and modern comforts, all villas feature private swimming pool, designer kitchen, en-suite bathroom, pool-side dining area, your very own tropical garden and most everything you would possibly expect. The Ulin Villas and Spa is created for you to stay in, chill out and relax. Experience an impeccable sincere service that everybody have been talking about. Create your own love story and make the most of this magical island has to offer. From the soft whisper of morning breeze, to the tropical noonday sun and topping it off with a romantic rendezvous beneath a star studded night sky – at The Ulin Villas and Spa, you would never fail to fall in love.We actively involve and proudly support “Bali Caring Community” a Bali based non-profit organization initiated by a group of hoteliers to bolster the Balinese unfortunates.The Ulin Villas and Spa has also been a proud sponsor of the “Comedy for Cancer Fundraiser” since 2007. “Comedy for Cancer” is a charity initiative to support the work of ANZGOG (The Australia and New Zealand Gynecological Oncology Group) for ovarian cancer research. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking and Otel so you can book your The Ulin Villas & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.