“AMAZING HOLIDAY, BEST VILLAS IN BALI” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Samaya Bali

You added The Samaya Bali to your Saves list
The Samaya Bali
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Laksmana | Seminyak Beach, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SPA, DINNER & MANY MORE!!
Ranked #4 of 107 Hotels in Seminyak
London
“AMAZING HOLIDAY, BEST VILLAS IN BALI”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Samaya in April this year in a Royal Pavilion Villa, and I have got to say that it was absolutely AMAZING! The only part my husband did not enjoy was when he got the flu half way through our holiday! We may even go back at the end of the year!
We have stayed at a lot of villa hotels in the Far East and this was by far the best one. It has an amazing size swimming pool, and the villas have free wi-fi and huge bathtubs with tv's, so you can watch TV while you relax in the bath after a long day of sunbathing.
The butlers are great as well. They are very accomodating, and will try to get you anthing you ask for. The Samaya also has a great minibus service, they drop you into town and can also pick you up as well, which we found fantastic!
We stayed in a Ocean Villa in the Oberoi the last time and the Samaya beats it hands down. Just amazing!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

This is a reply to "Sepmer" as I too booked the first two nights of my honeymoon at the Samaya hotel through Expedia back in April. I checked w/ the Samaya who told me that they were booked for my first two nights, yet Expedia showed availability. I called Expedia and the sales agent told me that Expedia had "exclusive" inventory to rooms at the Samaya so they could book rooms for me even if the hotel showed no rooms available. I triple checked this with the sales rep and booked my room. Last week (a week before my departure) I received a call from an Expedia rep telling me the Samaya would not honor my reservations. I went balistic on the Expedia rep as I was leaving the next week but they told me that they can't argue with hotels if they decide to cancel their reservations. I too had the feeling that Samaya was able to get higher rates elsewhere and so canceled my lower priced $320/night room. The next day I went on the Samaya website and found my first two nights available so I booked them through the hotel at about the same rate ($345/night), but which is their last minute special rate. For booking honeymoon's you don't want this kind of nightmare, beware of booking the Samaya through other websites as the Samaya will likely cancel your reservation.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Samaya for our Honeymoon. We absolutely fell in love with this resort. It really is exceptional in almost every way.

All the staff go out of their way to make sure that you are happy with every aspect of your stay. The manager, Ray Clarke was also extremely friendly and always took time to stop and chat with us and make sure that we were happy.

The location is excellent, on the outskirts of Semanyak which has lots of shops and restaurants though it is impossible to walk around Semanyak itself as there are no pavements and some crazy cyclists and taxis driving around. However, this is not a problem as the Samaya run a complimentary shuttle to and from local restaurants/bars and if not, the Bluebird taxis are really cheap.

Back to the hotel, the pool is heavenly. We lay on loungers overlooking the beach on one side and the pool on the other. The restaurant is lovely and serves fantastic breakfasts and daily complimentary afternoon tea consisting of sandwiches, scones and cake! We ate there once for dinner too and it was a lovely meal.

We also had a spa treatment and it was not cheap but worth every penny.

We were absolutely gutted to leave and would 100% recommend it to honeymoon couples or anyone wanting a slice of the good life in Bali.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

This was the hotel we stayed in at the start of our Indonesian Honeymoon and to be honest they gave us a welcome we're unlikely to forget.

From check in under the sumptuous open-air longhouse, to the brief trip via golf-buggy to our Royal Courtyard Villa we knew we were going to be well looked after. Our personal butler went through all the amenities and because it was our honeymoon we were presented with a lovely chocolate cake (inscribed with 'Happy Honeymoon'), a cocktail and bottle of Rose Champagne ... as well as flower-filled bath with a love-heart and another love-heart made of scattered petals on our private decking.

Speaking of our private deck - we had a 25m infinity pool to ourselves; and breakfast was bought to our villa every morning and served in our outdoor private gazebo. Sheer luxury. Needless to say we were treated extremely well all through our stay, and had full use of the enormous Royal Courtyard private pool (with fountains and an island in the middle reached by a bridge!) ... and of course full use of the beach-front loungers on the spectacular North Seminyak beach (see pic attached)

I have seen other reviews whihc complain about buuilding work next to the Courtyard Villas - there was some still going on but to be honest it was barely noticeable and overall I would highly recommend both the hotel and the incredibly friendly and obliging staff!

The Samaya also provided free air-conditioned transport around Seminyak environs and really teh staff couldn't do enough for you. The beahc service was fantastic and all through the day you were served complimentary iced water, fruit and on one occassion a complimnetary high-tea. The beach-front also transformed into an open air cocktail lounge once the sun went down and the absolutely breathtaking pool was hung with chinese lanterns.

The only negative points for me were that I would have preferred a beachfront villa to the bigger (and more private ) Royal Courtyard Villas ... but my wife was happier with the latter. I also found that the food in the Breeze Restaurant was a little too Pacific-Rim styled (probably for the Australian clientele) and while well-presented and as usual impeccable table-service, I found it a little over-priced and bland when compared to the traditional restaurants in northern Seminyak (Waoreng Bonita, Sate Bali) etc etc The same could be said of the well-renowned Blossom restaurant in my opinion which was less than a mile away and we went to one night.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

We went for a short holiday in May to Bali and we stayed at The Samaya. It was exactly what we had expected - stunningly beautiful and very pictureque. We loved Breeze Restaurant - we had breakfast and afternoon tea there and the crashing waves and the sunsets were simply breathtaking. Service was good and we had a fabulous time. The location is good too and we would certainly recommend this to friends who are looking for a similar-typed holiday - fuss-free, private, luxurious and yet very understated. :)

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We first stayed at Samaya in March 2008 and had a wonderful time. We do not normally go back to the same place twice - however we had such a great holiday that we decided to visit again. As always with a second visit you run the risk of being disappointed - in this case that was certainly not the case!! It was lovely to be greeted like an old friend and to see how the team has grown and developed since we last visited. Ray still runs a fantastic resort which is more of an experience than a holiday. Will certainly be going back for a third experience and definitely recommend to anyone looking for a great holiday!!

Izmir
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I booked in April a Royal Courtyard Room with its own private pool at this hotel for my coming honeymoon in August. I paid for the stay upfront with my credit card and everything went through hotels.com, so a well known and trusted booking site. After 2 months, I received the message from hotels.com that my booking had failed and that the hotel is no longer able to accept my booking. Apparently there was a system failure at the hotel and they over booked and were now cancelling my booking for that. I seriously don't understand how such a mistake could have happened without being realised for 2 whole months!! My only guess is that they increased the prices for the room and realised my booking wasn't up to their liking anymore and decided to replace my booking with a higher paying one!!! AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COST!!! DONT TRUST THEM!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
SamayaBaliRay, General Manager at The Samaya Bali, responded to this review, June 10, 2009
Dear Izmir
I was horrified to read your chronology of events that lead you to place your contribution onto tripadvisor.com.
I have fully investigated this, and by the time your booking had eventually reached us, we had already closed out 4 days previously, as being sold out.
Although we had notified our agents including those based in Bali, unfortunately, they had either been unable to pass this close out procedure to the larger network it appears. The 1st we at Samaya had any knowledge of your booking situation was when we read it on www.tripadvisor.com.
We then followed up with all our local agents who handle these portal agent bookings, and found one who was responsible for the mis-hap, in not informing us of your booking.
I can assure you there had been no mistake on the part of Samaya, nor was it a question of seeking a higher yielding rate, not did we at anytime cancel your booking, because we had never received it.
We have received many successful bookings from Hotels.com and Expedia.com, which are then channeled through a local agent without any problem at all.
On this occassion it appears both human error, and maybe a system error was responsible, but not by Samaya.
This is the 1st time I have ever felt the need to respond to a review, and hope it is a little clearer now, I am sorry you have been inconvenienced, and hope your experiences will not dter you wanting to plan a trip to Samaya on another occassion in the future.
I write this without any prejudices of any kind.

Regards

Ray, General Manager, Samaya Bali.

Been to The Samaya Bali? Share your experiences!