“SO WANTED TO GIVE THIS A 5 STAR...” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Sari Dewi, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
HOT DEAL PROMO - 30% OFF
Ranked #11 of 111 Hotels in Seminyak
“SO WANTED TO GIVE THIS A 5 STAR...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

... however unfortunately, which isn't common in a 5 star resort in Bali, the check in and check out were the misfires of the stay. Let's get the negative out of the way as the resort has so much to offer.

After a long day we checked into this beautiful lobby, after driving such a leafy green driveway with such anticipation, especially after reading past reviews of The Elysian. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a man who unfortunately, didn't welcome us with a welcome smile. The first question asked was 'Can I have your passport and printout to confirm your reservation.'. No, 'how was your flight etc etc'. So of course I had my passport, but I've NEVER in the past 100 times staying in hotels had to present the hotel club print out. He insisted I have it, even though he had my check in details and passport? So I showed it to him on the phone, which still wasn't enough! He then made me connect to wifi and email him the booking confirmation! WHAT THE?! I then gave my credit card for the deposit, after putting it through he said declined... Definitely sure it wouldn't decline as there was HEAPS available... So I just paid $100AUD in cash which was fine.

After an unnecessary hassle, we were escorted to our villa...

From then on (until checkout) - everything about our 6 night stay was fabulous...

The breakfast at the restaurant (which comes comp) is AH-MAZ_ING! You order of al la carte and every day we tried something new and each dish was fabulous. And the staff! They are SO lovely and so excited to see you every day! 'Mr Michael, how was your sleep', :)

One night we decided to have a private seafood dinner cooked by the villa which was lovely. The seafood was a little bland but it was more the experience of the private staff and chef - and very reasonably priced (for the experience) at $90AUD for 2.

The spa treatments were lovely, however more on the expensive side. Day spas are one of my favourite things about Bali and I would say I probably wouldn't return to the spa, but still enjoyed all the treatments. It just lacked atmosphere and hospitality.

The cabanas by the pool - my gosh - amazing! The pic I took of them got the most Facebook likes ever :) They were comfy and lush, and the pool and water was just beautiful. We probably spent half the time of our trip in one!

The Villa was stunning! But as others have mentioned, are in need of a renovation... The subtle tiredness of the villas certainly wouldn't put me off rebooking though... However, what would, was the bed... Whilst it was nice, it was too small. I think all 5 star properties should come with a king size bed in the main room. Unfortunately it was a double or small queen. And it takes away from the luxury aspect when you are staying in a small bed for 6 nights and you are 6'4 tall! But the private pool in the villa was beautiful and got a good amount of sun. Again, we spent heaps of time just relaxing by the pool in the villa.

The staff in general are magnificent (besides the check in and checkout). They are charismatic, upbeat and willing to do anything to make your stay that much more enjoyable.

The location is fantastic - walking distance to everything, ku de ta, eat street, the beach - great location!

We just LOVED every minute of our stay right up until we checked out...

So it was the same guy at check out that checked us in. He was friendly but no where near as friendly as the rest of the staff. Checkout was being completed, I fixed up my $500AUD resort bill and was just asked how was I going to settle that.. No asking of my experiences, how was the spa, how was the in-villa dining? My payment was then processed, and was told checkout was complete. However I wasn't! When I checked in I paid, the $100 AUD which was forgotten about that I had to ask to be returned instead of being offered it back.

We were leaving from the Villa to go to Sanur and I only had directions and a map of where to go. I showed him and asked if he could explain to the taxi driver where to go and he said yes, of course. So the taxi arrives, and there was no offer to carry our bag to the taxi. We kind of waited a while to see, however no offer so we just carried our our luggage to the taxi. Then waited for him to explain to the taxi, however again, no offer - so we had to communite to the taxi driver where to go. After finally explaining it to him, the guy from check in finally comes over with a 'you guys worked this out' attitude. And we left...

It's so unfortunate as we just LOVED our stay the Elysian, and the whole time were were there agreed we would give it a 5 star however with the poor check in and check out experiences, we just couldn't bring ourselves to give it a 5 star...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
theelysianmanagement, Manager at The Elysian, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Michaelt5007,

Thank you for sharing your feedback for The Elysian.

First and foremost thank you for giving us your feedback and we sincerely apologize if some parts of the stay has created inconveniences.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we really hope that this inconvenience experience does not mar your trust in us.
The comment that you raised were shared with the senior management of the villa. Your comments were used to further improve our training and services.

Once again thank you for sharing and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Warmest regards,

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Irvine, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights this August and do not recommend.

Starting positive, the villa itself was spacious and nice enough. It isn't luxurious but it is nice. The staff is great. So nice and extremely helpful. The location is very central.

The biggest drawback is that there were too many disruptions during our stay. During the day, there was construction all day at the villa/hotel room next to us. This meant hammering and other loud noises when we wanted to sit by our pool. Not relaxing at all. Then, there was bug fumigation during the afternoon. At night, the cafe next door played loud and disruptive music until 12:30 am. This was annoying and even more annoying since the hotel had said the music would end before midnight.

In all honestly, one of these things would have not been a big deal. Together, it was a bit much and totally ruined our experience at the hotel. It showed me that the hotel does not know what it means to deliver a consistently positive experience.

I am sure that the mgmt will comment back on this review and give some sort of comment about improving and listening...I hope they don't. I don't want to hear it because this place just really annoyed me and there is nothing they could do to fix it. So, please do NOT comment.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Plantriptoday,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I am truly sorry to read your personal experience at our resort. Unfortunately, we did not meet your own expectation. As a testament to our promise, we have taken steps to make sure that this will not happened again.

As we are constantly striving to improve ourselves which we are currently doing upgrade on our villa as many guest commented that the villa is in need for refresh, I appreciate your honest comments very much. I will definitely have an internal discussion with the teams on each and every concerns you highlighted and with our neighbor as we take guest feedback very seriously and your feedback will certainly be used for further improvement.

Once again, please accept our apologies in the experience you have encountered during your stay at The Elysian Villas. We are much honored to have received such a positive review and it has been a pleasure to have you as our guest.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back and I do hope that this experience will not mar your opinion of our resort.

Basingstoke, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed in a villa for 4 nights with our two children and had a lovely stay. The service, food and staff far outweigh the villas. Most of the reviews on here are about the fabulous staff and service - and I would agree 100%. Food was EXTREMELY good and the staff were all lovely.
So my review will focus solely on the villas. We were shown an "upgraded" villa and a regular one. No noticeable difference between the two apart from the colour of the wood, different colour walls and the furniture in a different position. The one-bed villa was spacious enough for two children under twelve (with the children sleeping on made up daybeds in the living room), but I feel the villa is in need of an upgrade - and more than the upgrade the villas are currently getting. Bed was comfortable enough but the linen was old and the pillows felt old. Bear in mind these villas are where you will probably spend the majority of your day rather than a hotel room to just sleep in, so they need to feel cosy and comfortable. The decor is ok but you couldn't sit anywhere particularly comfortable and read a book. The TV has a useful amount of films available for viewing (better than any hotel I've been in) but a 32'' TV in the bedroom these days is classed as small and there is certainly the space for a larger TV in the living room rather than everyone crowded on the bed. Our double daybed outside by the pool was nice, but teeny ants get everywhere and nip. I know this is part of the deal of living in a tropical oasis - but it would have been better to have a couple of comfortable armchairs in which to flop, rather than the uncomfortable mattresses (daybeds) by the window. The villa has the space for them. The villa pool was pretty enough but absolutely freezing. The main pool was only marginally warmer, but we couldn't go in the pool as it was just too cold, which is a shame. Bathroom is comfortable and the shower very large. Water pressure great.
Would I recommend? Yes, but accept that the villa interior is a teeny bit shabby.
Simple things would improve it greatly - more comfortable furniture on which to lounge; larger TV; upgrade the bed linen and pillows; heat the pool a little bit and sharpen up the interior. Then, it would be perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear alicehalice,

Greetings from The Elysian.

I would like thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as it is indeed through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve and maintain our standards.
Your comment will be shared and raised to the management and we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Elysian, Bali in the not too distant future again.

Warm regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My partner and I shared 5 amazing nights in a one bedroom villa at the Elysian. The villas are fantastic with your own private pool, large bedroom and luxurious bathroom in a secluded peaceful setting. The location is right in the heart of Seminyak and perfect for heading to the beach, bars or local restaurants.

But it is the service at the Elysian which made our stay one to remember and what makes the Elysian a true 5 star venue. Most of the staff end up speaking with you on a frist name basis and are always happy to assist in any way. Arti and Adi (two of the guys working at the front desk) were the pefect example of this and their friendliness and sense of humour was always welcome. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Villa 15 had great morning Sun up until 2pm.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
theelysianmanagement, Manager at The Elysian, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Andy C,

Many thanks for your time to share The Elysian experience with us.

I am extremely glad to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and met your overall expectation. I am delighted to share your kind words with the entire team whom makes this possible as I know they will be very happy to know that their hard work enables our guests to have memorable experiences.

Once again thank you for sharing and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Warmest regard,

Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Great place and private. The staff are very good and I like the rustic nature of the paths around the resort. No problems with insects or anything. Only disappointed with the lack of sun for sunbathing in our villa pool area. Could only sunbathe for 2/3 hours in the day. Was better to go to the beach tho. :-)

• Stayed August 2014
theelysianmanagement, Manager at The Elysian, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear G16RTY,

Thank you very much for your posting your review and positive feedback on us on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn you loved our staff and that they have succeeded in bringing you The Elysian brand service.
In regard of the sunny villa, some of our villa have lots of sun in the morning, and some in the afternoon, but we cannot guarantee that also since the weather constantly changes (the sun location constantly changes depends on the season and weather).
We are currently on a program of trimming our gardens and rearranging some plants to let in some more sun.

Once again thank you and we hope to have you back again to stay in the near time to come.

Kind Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

First off, the villas are beautiful but the hotel is located on a back street far from the beach or anything else. This would be fine if it was the quiet oasis promised.... It is not. Night one was music from a neighbouring resort until 7am. During the day, the private pool is disturbed by hammering, power saws and the occasional jack hammer. If you want to relax, this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
theelysianmanagement, Manager at The Elysian, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Cacey p,

Greetings from The Elysian.

I would like thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience as it is indeed through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve and maintain our standards.

I sincerely apologize for the disturbance during your short break and instead of allowing you to enjoy the short time you had in Bali. I will make a word to the neighbouring resort and the maintenance teams with regards to noise. I am happy to learn that you love the resort and the staff.

Look forward to having a second chance on your stay at The Elysian

Warmest regards,

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had the beautiful two bedroom villa for our stay and it's a wonderful and quiet oasis not far from the best spots in Seminyak. The property is everything 5 star they advertise but it's the genuine friendliness of the staff that sets it apart... From the room turn down team to the wonderful staff in the bar/restaurant and spa, they genuinely want to make sure you've got everything you need for a special holiday. After a few drinks in the bar on our first evening, we were welcomed automatically for breakfast by name the next day and from then on, everyone seemed to know our preferences and what might suit us. Bail's renowned for its friendliness, but the team (especially Dewi.A) at the Elysian should just be commended!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
theelysianmanagement, Manager at The Elysian, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear LuxuryAgent,

We are thrilled that the teams was able to deliver The Elysian brand experience that you were expecting and your stay with us has left you with good memories.
I truly appreciate your recognition of the staff who which I have always mentioned, are the heart and soul of this resort.

I will share your feedback to Dewi A and comments like these will encourage her and the teams to strive for excellence at all time.

We would like to thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Elysian.

Warm regards,

Resort Manager

Been to The Elysian? Share your experiences!