“Sheer Luxury” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Oberoi Bali

You added The Oberoi Bali to your Saves list
The Oberoi Bali
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Seminyak Beach, Jl. Kayu Aya, Seminyak, Bali 80033, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Unforgettable Experience
Ranked #5 of 117 Hotels in Seminyak
Bedfordshire, UK
“Sheer Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

A beautiful, tranquil haven of a hotel. We had a wonderful week in Bali and staying at the Oberoi was a treat. After exploring the beautiful island, it was a pleasure to come back to the serenity of The Oberoi. The rooms are immaculate and large. The staff are some of the best we have ever come across. They were attentive without being pushy and most of them remembered our names. Every meal we had was delicious. We were a little disappointed with the beach at Seminyak and have marked the hotel down on this as it was not very appealing to sit on the beach as it was quite dirty. Although all the beaches in Bali are public, we felt that more could have been done to keep it clean in front of the hotel with some nice beds.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear nollo,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I am sorry that the beach was not up to your expectation. While keeping in mind that Seminyak beach is public beach, we have tried our best to educate people walking on the beach by providing rubbish baskets and signs. Thank you for highlighting this for me.

Thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

The Oberoi, Bali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

From the moment you arrive at the Oberoi it is perfection.

Greeted with a beautiful jasmine lei and a cocktail and escorted to your villa by the charming staff you instantly feel at home.

From the stunning ornate and airy rooms to the exquisite breakfast and the peaceful pool the oberoi experience would be hard to match.

Ten out of ten.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Sammie C,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Excellent Balinese setting. Staff were friendly and often helpful. Rooms were clean and most inviting. The daily exotic fruit selection was a definite bonus.
A buffet breakfast option would definitely have been preferred, but this was not offered and was a little disappointing. On the first day I ordered the Indonesian breakfast which was probably the best noodle I ever tasted, but on the second day when I ordered the same breakfast, I was extremely disappointed as the noodles were dry and had a strong stale prawn smell and was not palatable. The egg was crusty and this put me off.

The beach seemed to have an algae problem and due to the strong current we were not able to swim on any of the 5 days that we stayed. Even though this is not really the fault of the hotel, there were dogs all over the beach and owners who refused to pick up after their dogs which we found disgusting.

Dinner was lovely and again credit goes to the staff. More Indonesian dishes would have been preferred though.

The spa treatments were excellent, but the facilities were quiet disappointing with the absence of a jacuzzi, plunge pool and steam room. A definite need for these facilities in a top notch hotel.

An overall enjoyable stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Nirvana111,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali detailing your experience here. I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed most aspects of your stay at The Oberoi, Bali.

I am sorry that your were disappointed by the lack of a buffet breakfast. In this tropical climate and outdoor dining venue, it would be difficult and dangerous to serve items exposed to open air from the hours of 7-11 each day. This is the reason why breakfast is al a carte. I am truly apologetic to know that the noodles (Bakmi Goreng) you ordered on the second day were not as good as you had encountered the day before. I will share your feedback and investigate this with our Executive Chef and culinary team. I thank you for bringing this to our attention and assure you that remedial training will be conducted to avoid any such occurrence from being repeated.

I am also sorry that the waves were quite strong during your stay, and that there were times when algae bloom had oocurred. This natural phenomenon occurs when ocean currents shift and sea temperatures change. All beaches in Indonesia are public venues. The Oberoi employs a full time clean up crew at the beach in front of our resort and we have placed rubbish bins and educational signage in English and Bahasa Indoensia requesting dog owners to pick up after their pets. The Oberoi, Bali is also very active in our own in-house turtle conservation programme. Olive Ridley sea turtles lay their eggs all along the beachfront here between the months of mMay and October. So far this year we've had over 1000 eggs from 9 clutches. I assure you that The Oberoi, Bali is at the forefront of educating and maintaining the beach to the very best of our ability.

I note your kind suggestion to have more Indonesian dishes in our menus, as well as providing a Jacuzzi, plunge room and steam room in our Spa area. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated. All guest feedback is seriously considered to shape the services and facilities we offer, while helping to improve the overall experience.

With kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

It was our first time in Bali so my partner and I thought that we should splurge a little. Staying at The Oberoi was definitely the best decision we've made in this trip. If the natural, unpretentious hotel is what you would prefer then this one is a safe bet. Villas were surrounded by a beautifully landscaped garden with a path that leads you to a spa, an Indonesian open amphitheater, the pool, two restaurants (one fine dining) and the beach.

Their rooms were very comfortable, Balinese inspired. It was refreshed twice a day. Bathrooms are clean and spacious with a generous selection of toiletries you wouldn't usually see in other hotels. They had a separate tub and shower, his and hers sinks. They also had a good selection of complimentary tea and coffee, TWG for tea and different kinds of Indonesian coffee. These were replenished everyday.

Food was quite pricey, but what good hotel does not overcharge, no? Definitely worth it though because they had a wide selection of food and drinks and they were all very tasty. I actually asked for a cake to be waiting in our room as we arrived as it was my partner's birthday. They provided a gorgeous chocolate cake and a beautiful Balinese flower wreath free of charge.

There was a generous amount of sun beds by the pool where only a stone's throw away was the Seminyak beach. The hotel provided daily activities and shows for adults and children. We went during a non-peak season so this was probably not the best time to spend by the ocean. The waves looked unmerciful. I've had my fair share of beautiful white beaches. Although this was not the best I've seen, I would feel a bit guilty to say anything negative in this review for the great service this hotel has provided.

The service was definitely where you would feel all your money went to. It felt like a home away from home. This I should say was the most notable part of the experience. Their staff from front desk, to kitchen to gardeners were very warm. We found out later that this is a common trait of Balinese people. Bali is a beautiful island and the best way to spend it is pick a good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the pool would be better as you would find that the garden villas will be quite a lo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear IsabelleGee,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali detailing your experience when staying with us.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that the beach waves were quite strong during your stay.

San Diego, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful with lots of charm and character. The service is impeccable and the grounds are maintained very well. Relative to what you would pay for a similar hotel in other parts of the world this is SC great value. The only fly in the ointment are the two streams that empty into the ocean on both sides of the property. In suspect that even in the best of times there is substantial amount of untreated sewage in them, but during my stay there were these ugly massive brown discharges on a daily basis that should give anyone in their right mind pause before going on the water. I understand that this is not something under the direct control of the hotel, but it significantly undermines an otherwise top notch property.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, June 4, 2014

Dear Groovy Geek,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed the service and grounds. On the contrary I was sorry to read your comment regarding the two natural rivers which flow out to the sea on either side of The Oberoi, Bali. Kindly note that these two natural estuaries are indeed natural waterways which still make up a part of Bali's unique 'subak' irrigation system for rice fields. As unbelievable as it may seem to you, behind many of the shops, restaurants, and galleries, you see in Seminyak there are still rice fields which are a dependent upon these natural estuaries which begin their journey to the sea far to the north beyond Ubud. At the northern river, one can often witness a unique Balinese ceremony, the last rite of passage after a Balinese Hindu cremation, when the ashes of the departed are brought to a place where the river meets the sea. The two rivers here pre-date The Oberoi and are indeed a natural waterways. The Oberoi, Bali does not release any water to the sea. Agreeably, the water in the two rivers is not the cleanest, but it is not untreated sewage. The ocean in front of The Oberoi experiences a brown coloured alga bloom from time to time, and this is often mistaken by some to be sewage.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

It was the first time we stayed at the Oberoi. Initially we were thinking, goodness, another St Regis. Of which, it's not really our cup of tea. But the Oberoi proved otherwise. Checking in was a breeze, the service staff was very accommodating and didn't make us wait. I appreciate that. The cleaning crew were extremely attentive and kept everything well! They were very meticulous and constantly supplied us with water. At the pool, there was fruits, water and sorbets brought out to ensure that everyone was well hydrated. The Oberoi had activities during various times of the day to ensure guests were well occupied.. Honestly one didnt need to step out of this hotel. We come to Bali every other week - but stepping into the Oberoi, we suddenly felt that we were on holiday again. Maybe it is the staff, ambience or how the lanais are designed. But it is truly amazing. I love the privacy as well. I expected ridiculous prices for the hotel transportation around Bali but I must say, they are very reasonable. I was very surprised. Normally, I feel terribly ripped off at hotels especially the likes of the St Regis etc, but this time around, I didn't. I highly rate this place. Its not cheap but I feel that it is worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear jmejamesj,

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Here we are back In Bali, and how beautiful it is. With its new airport and VIP greeting as you slip stream through customs what a way to start your time in fabulous Bali at the Oberoi. I remember when we first went to Bali back in 1985 we could see the Oberoi way down the beach in Seminyak amongst the paddy fields. Thought back then we most go there. Our time did arrive. The Oberoi reminds me of how staying in Bali should be low level accommodation with its alang alang roofs. Beautiful shady and mature gardens with smiling staff. We stayed in a villa with partial sea views villa 200. It was wonderful our pool was enormous our enclosed area was spacious and peaceful.
Our room was lovely and authentic with fresh fruit everyday which we loved.
Breakfast was just lovely sitting there watching the surf thunder in or people doing their morning walk on the beach or those cute little squirrels bustling around in the trees always a delight to watch. The staff where lovely Wayan and Mei where just outstanding. As we were there for 16 nights they knew what we had each day and it just came and we just love having Nasi goreng for breakfast with some coffee. Some days we did try the other amazing choices. We ate lunch in too just delicious salads with a glass of wine perfect . We also ate at the main restaurant in the evening a couple of times and being a vegetarian it was amazing so tasty. We met the executive chief Enrico what a lovely gentlemen he couldn't do enough for you. It was another wonderful experience with the Oberoi group of hotels. We have stayed in quite a few in India and the same service and friendliness was there

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Sharonb000,

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for recognising Mei, Wayan and Chef Enrico. We are very fortunate to have such dedicated people working here.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seminyak
The Legian Bali – a GHM hotel
Luna2 Studiotel
Luna2 Studiotel
#1 of 117 in Seminyak
5.0 of 5 stars 113 reviews

Been to The Oberoi Bali? Share your experiences!