“Gorgeous property, attention to detail” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oberoi Bali

Save Saved
You added The Oberoi Bali to your Saves list
The Oberoi Bali
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Seminyak Beach, Jl. Kayu Aya, Seminyak, Bali 80033, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Starting at $350 pernight
Ranked #4 of 101 Hotels in Seminyak
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous property, attention to detail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My Partner and I spent 10 days at Oberoi for New Years. The place is magnificent. Grounds are impeccable, people are super warm and friendly, our 'room' was just heavenly. Had our own little pool and ocean view.

They put on special events (e.g. Balinese dancing) and have morning yoga. If you're going to sta in the Seminyak area, I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: room with private pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complimentary comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you found the services, environment, style, and setting of The Oberoi, Bali have met with your expectations. I am happy to note that you enjoyed the activities available as well.

Thank you for staying with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our family went to have lunch and take a look around the Oberoi to consider staying there on our next trip to Bali. The Security guard at the beach entrance made up our minds for us that we would not stay there. Hotel staff should be aware that first impressions are very important. She was very rude and did not want to allow us in. We were also dressed well.
We did have lunch which was very expensive - same prices at home in Australia ! Lunch was nice but here again, the staff thought themselves very superior.
Looks like we will book our two weeks again at the Bali Hyatt Sanur - stay there and you will love it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Thingamybob,

Thank you for your perspective view about your recent experience when visiting for lunch at The Oberoi, Bali. I was pleased to know that you had a nice lunch. I regret that you were made to feel unwelcome when trying to enter the resort from the beach without a reservation. You may have noticed signage on the beach side which says "Private Entrance, Residents Only". The only public entrance to The Oberoi, Bali is from the main entrance gate at the main road on Jalan Kayu Aya. For your kind information, and for the sake of TripAdvisor readers, restaurant and accommodation prices at The Oberoi, Bali are on par with hotels in the same category on the island of Bali.

The security, safety, and privacy of our guests is paramount. Access to and from the beach is exclusively reserved for guests who are residents at the resort. Please accept our sincere apologies that this policy was not clearly communicated to you by our security team when you were entering form the beach.

I consistently receive feedback about the staff with comments that they are extremely polite, professional, and accommodating. I regret that you were made to feel otherwise.

I would welcome you to return. You may contact me personally to assist with a reservation and arrangements should you be able to re-visit The Oberoi, Bali.

John Halpin
Fax : +62 361 730954
Email : John.Halpin@oberoihotels.com
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This property is very special, you truly leave your worries on the doorstep and relax from the moment you arrive. It has maintained it's Balinese old world charm with the focus being on service. We were shown to a beautiful spacious room, no. 291, with a huge bed. The room is like a little garden bungalow or Lanai, and is designed in such a way that you cannot see your neighbours and you feel you are in your own private garden. The marble bathroom is gorgeous, with a glass wall revealing a tropical garden which brings the outdoors in. I took several long bubble baths reading a book in the huge bath (which is like a mini swimming pool) while leaning back on the bath pillow which was provided. Further nice touches included a daily newspaper, a room service breakfast menu that was rolled up in a container to hang outside your door and a little card telling you what tomorrow's weather will be. I did some washing and came back to my room to find it had all be placed on a drying rack on my verandah. The pool is in a great situation, overlooking the beach, with really comfortable lounge chairs and attentive service. The chairs are made up individually each day with fresh towels and a tray with cold water, refreshing wet face towels, sunblock and face spray provided. Breakfast is served in the garden restaurant and is made to order and served to you. It was delicious and plentiful, without seeing the huge amount of waste that normally occurs with those huge buffets at other hotels. Another nice touch is the complimentary daily afternoon tea served by the pool which allows you to sample some traditional sweets and cakes.The gardens are also beautiful, and as you walk around the property all the staff say hello with a smile and a traditional Balinese hand gesture. From the onset, the staff know you by name, and the manager can be seen walking round the hotel each day asking guests how they are enjoying their stay. If you want a stay in smaller, more personalised hotel, which is luxurious, while still keeping with Balinese tradition with wonderful service then this is the hotel for you. I booked in for 5 nights and my stay comes to an end tomorrow. I will be truly sorry to leave, but I know I will be back. (Karen, Sydney).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on TripAdvisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you found the services, environment, style, and setting of The Oberoi, Bali met with your expectations. I truly appreciate your recognition of the staff who are the heart and soul of this historic beachfront resort.

We would like to thank you for having stayed with us, and we all look forward to the opportunity of again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Sincerely yours,

Fax : +62 361 730954
Email : John.Halpin@oberoihotels.com
Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We came here to celebrate our third year as a couple. We usually don't splurge but when it's time to we do. This was one of those times, glad we came, the staff was great, always there, the villa we had was awesome, dreamy, perfect and sexy/romantic, was nice to rekindle the fire while basking in luxury and enjoying epic surf.

Can't wait to come back, looking for a special, hope to find one next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff made you feel well taken care of. I am pleased to know that you found the our friendly Balinese staff, setting and style of the resort has met with your expectations.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

Perth Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had ( prior to booking and since) read a number of reviews of The Oberoi.
Can I say that nothing I read came close to describing the quality and professionalism demonstrated by all members of the staff every day.
From. The airport pickup (part of the "unforgettable experience package ) through to check out The Oberoi was truly 5 star.
The attention to detail both in the facility itself but more importantly by the staff is unrivaled.
When we arrived prior to the official time we were still escorted to our rooms (our son travelled with us) and the staff member spent quite some time explaining the feature of the room,how the lights worked etc - a very nice touch.
After unpacking we ventured to the pool area only to be greeted by an attendant who undertook a space for us both away from the smokers!
Here as in every other location within the hotel attention to detail and exceptional customer service were paramount - nothing was too much trouble and if you chose to you would never have to lift a finger as your every need, including cold water and sunscreen, are anticipated by staff.
A special treat is the cleaning of your glasses when sitting by the pool.
Breakfast is comprehensive and delicious however it might be a good idea to explain that you are able to order from the complete menu.

The room itself was delightful and there was more than enough room for both of us.
The delivery of both an Indonesian newspaper (The Jakarta Post) and a photocopied summary of our australian newspaper was a nice touch as was the choice of fruit offered each day.

Afternoon tea,with entertainment, is held every afternoon.
Can I suggest here some savory offerings?

We are coming back to Bali in February 2013 and hope to spend our 8 days with you at The Oberoi.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor after your visit to The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the service from the team has met with you expectations. I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfasts served seaside at our Frangipani café and also thank you for your suggestion to explain that breakfast can be ordered from the complete menu. I will share your suggestion with our chef to offer some savoury options at afternoon tea as well.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to the opportunity of one day again welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Bali.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great service, perfect location, old school charm but note the bottled water is excessively expensive which is a shame as it causes people to look elsewhere to eat or drink

Surprisingly good pizza, well appointed and classic rooms although small

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review about your recent stay at The Oberoi, Bali.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed all of the services, environment, style, and setting of The Oberoi, Bali. I truly appreciate your recognition of the service delivery from our staff who are the heart and soul of this historic beachfront resort.

Thank you for your feedback regarding bottled water prices; I would like to clarify for the sake of TripAdvisor readers that complimentary mineral water is served poolside, at restaurants, and is available in all the rooms. Imported brands such as San Pellegrino and Evian incur high tariffs from Indonesian Customs and Duty tax and therefore are priced high. All Food and Beverage prices here are displayed including 11% government taxes and 10% service charge. At a glance this does raise eyebrows, however we have found that many guests unfamiliar with Bali appreciate the all-inclusive pricing along with The Oberoi’s No Tipping policy.

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and it was one of three hotels we went to in Bali and I'm afraid to say it was our least favourite.

When we arrived we were told as a honeymoon couple they had chosen a quiet part of the hotel for us. Then we ended up in a far corner room overlooked by a very noisy construction site. So that was a disappointing start, though we were much happier when they did allow us to change room where we couldn't hear or see the construction. As a honeymooner we didn't feel too special: no room upgrades and just a free rather disgusting cake and some rose petals on the bed. Perhaps the Oberoi in Seminyak gets so many honeymooners that its more commonplace than special.

Also there are 2 types of room at the hotel, we were in a standard room and we found it to be very small, especially the bathroom area. The loo is right next to the bath/shower. The wooden bed frame is in keeping with the Balinese style but not practical for the size of the room and I kept bruising myself getting into bed. I think considering the price; the size and layout of the rooms should be upgraded. Also the DVD library should be better curated!

On the plus side, the pool was fantastic - the best of our trip - and we especially enjoyed the afternoon teas and Balinese entertainment. The service at the pool was excellent and the staff were very friendly & helpful. Also the Oberoi bath products were wonderful & unique.

The beach by the hotel itself is pretty disappointing but the location is pretty good, though I think further up the beach from seminyak is a hipper area now. We were close to a fantastic italian restaurant la lucola, which is just as well as food at the Oberoi is again vastly overpriced.

Also it was disappointing to see a drinks reception for some, but not all guests, going on one evening.

If we went back to Seminyak again we'd probably stay at the W hotel, that said if the Oberoi had an overhaul and/ or lower its prices I'd consider it again.

So overall the hotel and experience was a bit disappointing, and also I think this area is more for families and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for honeymooners.

• Stayed June 2012
Oberoi_Bali, General Manager at The Oberoi Bali, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your point of view about The Oberoi, Bali after your honeymoon visit six months ago in June 2012.

I am delighted to receive your compliments about our swimming pool, afternoon teas, and authentic Balinese entertainment.

On the contrary I am extremely apologetic to know that you found the value for money, facilities, room size and layout were not as you had expected. The Oberoi is very popular, and due to high occupancy we were only able to move you to another accommodation later in the day. We had extended late check out to some of our long staying repeat guests, and therefore the room we moved you to was not available until later in the day. High occupancy experienced in June also made it difficult to upgrade your accommodation as a honeymoon courtesy. I am sorry you did not like the complimentary honeymoon cake provided. We invite returning guests and some of our guests who stay for a week or more to a small drinks reception once a week. I apologise that you had not been asked to join us that evening. With 74 rooms a drinks recption could have tunred into cocktails for 150 people, which is why we are unable to invite everyone.

As you mention in your review, Seminyak is becoming a "hip" area. With its' newfound hip-ness comes construction and development. It is very unfortunate that some of the development is just over our boundary wall. When The Oberoi was built, the only thing over the boundary wall was verdent rice fields for as far as the eye could see. I apologise that this outside development disturbed your enjoyment of the 6 hectare gardens and beachfront that The Oberoi, Bali is set upon.

The beach in front of The Oberoi is the only stretch of beach from Kuta to Canggu that does not have hawkers and sun beds in front of it. I am but sure why the lack of hawkers and rentable sun-beds left you disappointed.

The Oberoi, Bali is one of the most mature resorts in Seminyak. We have added subtle upgrades over the years whilst always being sympathetic to Balinese culture and history. More re-investment in the property is planned for the future.

Thank you for having stayed with us. We do appreciate your feedback and opinions. We really to strive to deliver a classical Balinese style of 5 Star Service. Your feedback and suggestions will help us move closer to this.

Email : john.halpin@oberoihotels.com

Been to The Oberoi Bali? Share your experiences!