“Awesome mexican in Bali” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 318 Restaurants in Seminyak
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Inspired Mexican Cuisine Prepared with Integrity. A small, authentic, roadside-style "taqueria" like in Tijuana or Cabo, we are Seminyak's only American owned, and authentic taco cafe featuring deluxe roadside-style tacos. Renowned for our huge variety of salsas and tortillas made fresh from scratch every few hours, we are the Home of the Original Babi Guling Taco.
Bali, Indonesia
“Awesome mexican in Bali”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

So there seems to be a mexican craze for the past year here in Bali. Before it was just Mojo´s Burritos in Petitenget (which was an OK mexican place in Californian standard. Im from California so I know what good mexican is) but now a few contenders are in line. One of them is Taco Beach. It´s in Kunti which is the lesser packed street in Seminyak. Taco Beach is a must-try. The restaurant is tiny with a few seating. The decor is nothing special. But what is worth coming here is the food. They serve the usual tacos, burritos, nachos and everything you find in a mexican restaurant. As for what I have tried, The burritos are amazeballs. They portions are big and the prices are reasonable. I tried the fish tacos and they are so good I ate 2, yes not 1 but 2 servings of the fish tacos. A friend tried their nachos and it was good. It wasn't amazing but good. What i also loved about this place is they give you the pickled sides. I wasn't sure if they charge for it but it's the only mexican restaurant that has that available. I think that a plus already that they thought about that. It´s a proper mexican joint.

Do book your table if it´s high season and especially on the weekends. I am actually thinking of going there now as I write this 'cuz it's making me hungry and I want the burritos.

One more thing, they have a couple of double decker fans that will help with the Bali heat.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks for the nice review. I am also from California (aka Northern Mexico), so we aim to equal or exceed what you'd come to expect from a great taqueria on Sepulveda, or Alamada St. in downtown Los Angeles. Those guys are my heroes (and Rick Bayless.) .

And that's why we gave you the pickled side orders, to start you off. And yes, they were free! In the near future we might ask a nominal charge, but for the last year it's all been free. The side orders of authentic refried beans and red Spanish rice that we serve with each and every burrito are free, too.

Also of interest is that we make 5 or 6 fresh seasonal salsas everyday. Taco Beach doesn't' use yesterday's leftover salsas, either, as some larger Mex restaurants might. In fact, we make our salsas fresh, 3 or 4 times throughout the day. And they are free, too!

Currently, these include pico de gallo, mango salsa, tomatillo-cilantro salsa, papaya-pineapple salsa, roasted sweet corn salsa, and possibly roasted red-pepper guacamole. All fresh. And free. And unlimited. Just like downtown Los Angeles....... we make our own versions of Tapatio Hot Sauce and Habanero hot sauce, which are bottled and on the tables. Also free. At Taco Beach you have available 8 to 10 salsas and hot sauces, free every day.

This week's free pickled sides that we give you as appetizers include the famous LA-style pickled carrots, pickled jalapenos, and recently (because they are in season and cheap to make) Sweet and Sour Pickled Dill pickles, and pickled okra! Hurry back soon, as the pickling cucumbers and okra are rarely available here, and once they're gone, it may be a while till they show up again...

And please introduce yourself next time!

Best regards,
Bob, Director of Taco Technology

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Canning, Australia
“Great Mexican on our last day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

After spending a lovely 14day holiday in bali. My wife and myself managed to offload the kids for our last night. Took the advice given by tripadvisor and decided to try TBG. Glad we did,the food was great and service to match. Do book your table as the place fills up fast. We booked our table and arrived to an empty restaurant, but within a few minutes the place was packed and diners were being turned away. Try the poppers , they were my particular favorite.

Visited January 2013
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks so much for your review and great rating.

I hope you can come back soon and try more dishes from our soon to be published new menu, as we are developing some innovative Mexican dishes that you probably will never see in any other restaurant, Mexican or otherwise.

Warm regards,
Bob, Taco-ologist, Taco Beach Grill - Home of the Babi Guling Taco!
Perth
“great burritos!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

so glad my friend found this awesome Mexican restaurant in Seminyak through Trip advisor! great portions and a great Bali price too!

highly recommend the Texan BBQ beef burrito!

Visited January 2013
Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thanks for your 5 star review and kind remarks.

I am especially happy to receive your comments on the Texas BBQ beef burrito. I have been developing and refining my BBQ sauce recipe using only local ingredients for over 3 years now, and it's finally almost as good as I want it to be. It's also great in a BBQ pork quesadilla, we are finding out as we continue to innovate with some new special dishes.

Thanks again! Have a 5 star day!

Best,
Bob, Director of Taco Technology, Taco Beach Grill: Small, but Perfectly Formed!
Melbourne, Australia
“Simple good value Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

A small eatery but meals were of a decent size. The staff were friendly and the value excellent the suckling pig burrito was very tasty and the nachos included many sauces with different flavours would highly recommend for a cheap eat.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide
“Lovely Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I reluctantly went here as I don't like Mexican food but the rest of my family do, and they were very impressed. If I go to Bali I want to eat Indonesian food so I will try to be as unbiased as I can. The restaurant seems very popular and the staff efficient. However we were seated in the doorway and there were two fans which blew everything off the table and were uncomfortable. The staff tried to move them around as it was very hot in there but which ever way they moved them, someone complained! If you love Mexican food then you will be impressed. I decided to try the suckling pig taco in Indonesian spices and I detested it. This has probably got more to do with my palate than the standard of food as my fellow diners enjoyed their meals. A bit on the pricey side but worth it if you come to Bali to eat Mexican food.

Bob N, Owner at Taco Beach Grill, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I would like, first of all, to thank you for awarding us 5-stars, despite your dissatisfaction with your meal. I am simply stunned by your kindness, and fairness.

I consider it my responsibility to inquire at each table if everything is satisfactory. I apparently was off-premises. I agree with you that quite probably the Balinese babi guling spices are not agreeable to your palate in this case, but nonetheless, I want you to know that regardless of the reason, when eating in my restaurant, if you don't like your food, you don't pay. If you are not pleased with your meal, your meal is free. Period. I will put up a sign to this effect shortly.

Sorry about the fans, it gets so hot sometimes in Bali, and we are trying to our best to keep a nice breeze flowing...In fact, I have recently installed a fogging/misting machine above the terrace tables in front to cool the ambient temps, as air conditioning is not possible. We use the fans to direct the flow of the cooled air inside.

My chefs, incidentally, were originally trained in Italian, and French cooking, so if you decide Mexican food is not your cuppa, we would be delighted to prepare something Western or European off the menu. My morning and lunch chef, Chef Jesse, is particularly skilled at accommodating such requests.

I certainly hope you and your family will give us the benefit of a return visit, so that I can personally insure your satisfaction. Simply write me at info@tacobeachgrill.com to arrange a reservation and so that I can be present, and I personally guarantee you will leave a satisfied guest.

Once again, thank you for kindness and 5-star review. I wish you a 5-star day in every way while you're here in Bali.

Warm regards,
Bob Nicksic
Director of Taco Technology, Taco Beach Grill - Home of the Babi Guling Taco!