“most memorable experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maca Villas & Spa

Save Saved
You added Maca Villas & Spa to your Saves list
Maca Villas & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Lebak Sari No.7 | Petitenget, Seminyak, Bali 80119, Indonesia   |
Ranked #9 of 86 hotels in Seminyak
sydney
“most memorable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Maca Villas and Spa which she organised for my 50th birthday. Our booking was smooth and swift well in advance with no misunderstandings. Our request for a particular villa was provided without any issues.
We arrived on the 30th of January the day of my birthday and yes the road approaching the villa is bumpy, but it adds to the surprise that awaits those who chose to stay at what I believe is truly a magical place.
From the moment our car entered the premises we felt at ease and were well received with the warmest of smiles and greetings. Once our names were made evident and the formalities of check in were completed, I received birthday wishes from every staff member that came my way.

I asked to meet with the general manager Mr Agus Made Yoga Iswara as I had many requests and needs that he accommodated with efficiency that went far beyond the call of duty.

Our villa was perfect. My wife and I enjoyed three nights of pure self indulgence of the highest level. We have stayed at many other 5 star resorts on our many adventures to Bali in the past but none of them come close to the experience we enjoyed at the Maca Villas.

For those of you who chose to stay here, let me assure you that you will be greeted with the true Balinese warmth and will enjoy the beautiful surroundings, food, coffee and of course the staff. Not enough can be said of their efficiency and style.

We also had the pleasure of meeting Mr Yunitha Dewl the reservation Manager who also was very helpful especially on our departure.

A special mentioned should be noted on how the management and staff at the Maca villas accepted and made welcome our many Balinese friends that visited us during our stay. In the past when staying at other big name 5 star resorts this was not always the case.

On our way to the airport I noticed that I had forgotten my camera back at the foyer. Our driver from the Maca villas quickly pulled over and made the call to reception. Camera found and was on its way with a security guard who arrived with it hung around his neck riding a motor bike and of course a smile on his face.

I could go on forever as to how this place is so special and unique. For those of you who will be blessed to stay there I am sure you will leave satisfied and take with you your own most memorable experience.

Room Tip: Villa 9 was perfect as the sun warmed the pool enabling us to see as we desired.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Yoga I, General Manager at Maca Villas & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear EmmanuelSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us. It was so nice to read how much you enjoyed your time with us. I have shared your comments with all the team and in particularly the security man (Arimbawa) who found and return the camera to you, as there is no better motivator than praise for a job well done.

Overall, it seems you particularly enjoyed the service levels and personal recognition during your stay. Please let me know when your plans bring you back to Maca as I would be delighted to assist to make your future visits even more memorable.

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Indonesian first
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We usually stop over on our way from the UK to Australia and for the first time we chose Bali. Like a previous contributor, we too were a bit shocked that a five start resort was directly off a potholed unmade road. But, hey, we soon learned that this is just Bali and we loved it for it! The pool villa was also a new concept for us but one we really enjoyed. Having your own private space and pool with wonderful, thoughtful, efficient staff to take care of our every need was just perfect. It is the staff with their warmth, friendliness and willingness that takes the experience up a level. The food, too, was very much to our liking. The menu is fairly standard but everything is freshly cooked and beautifully presented. Our villa and pool was very comfortable, serviced twice a day, but, if I'm going to be picky, I do agree with some previous comments. There were areas like the shower which was not pristine and, yes, on some days the towels did look past their sell-by dates. The spa was very limited but there are so many local places around that it didn't matter. We believe we had a great week for a reasonable price and would happily recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Yoga I, General Manager at Maca Villas & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Gill078,

It was a pleasure reading your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always nice to be able to share such wonderful comments with the employees. I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed the villas along with the service levels of all the employees.

I have noted your comment regarding the towel and shower, I agree this type of discrepancy were unacceptable and would like to assure that I have discussed your points with all management concerned and every measure has been taken to ensure this kind of discrepancy is not repeated in the future.

I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you & family back to Maca Villas & Spa in the near future for some more pampering.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We booked 10 nights in this supposedly new resort. The walls are peeling off, the pools are dirty and so cold they are unusable.
However, the best coffee in the world is to be had here! And the most beautiful, helpful and wonderful staff imaginable.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Honeymooner071,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Maca Villas & Spa Bali. We always strive to deliver the best levels of service to our guests and evidently you did not receive the experience we strive to achieve as a five star establishment and I would ask that you accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall you experienced during your stay with us.

It is through valuable feedback such as yours that enable us to constantly monitor and improve our operation. Unfortunately the weather in Bali did not too cooperate at that time, as we were experiencing an extreme continuous rain and strong wind during your period of stay, which caused some of the walls are peeling off as well as the outdoor pools are dirty and cold because of unexpected extreme wind and rain continuously. I agree these things were unacceptable and let me assure you that these experiences do not reflect the standard s we strive to maintain at Maca Villas & Spa and has certainly prompted our team to revisit these areas procedurally to ensure that our product are as sound as possible.

Honeymooner071, despite your unfortunate experience, I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Maca Villas & Spa Bali on a future occasion, and would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our specialty coffee IPPOLITO as well as our Team at Maca, who were taking a great care of you during your stay.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a week at Maca Villas in September. It was such a lovely and relaxing place to spend time. The villas are beautiful. We stayed in a Deluxe Villa with a Bale which we used everyday. The villas also have AC in the bedrooms and the living room which we loved. But what really makes the Maca special are the people. They are the most helpful and sweetest people we've ever met; especially given that running a hotel is such difficult and hard work. They seemed to anticipate our every need and always went above and beyond. And always with a smile. A genuine smile at that. Yes, the road out front is bumpy for a hundred yards or so, but that doesn't at all affect the quality of the stay. We highly recommend the Maca Villas and Spa who might be staying in the Seminyak area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris M,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Maca Villas & Spa, it was nice to know how much you enjoyed the villas along with the service level and facilities on offer.

Please do let me know when your plans bring you back to Maca, so we can ensure another great stay next time round.

Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband, 15 year old grand-daughter and I arrived late in the evening at the assigned superior Villa. We arrived by hotel Taxi, drove up a muddy side road, we were greeted with flowers by a friendly staff member. The staff were absolutely wonderful and couldnt do enough to assist us.
The villa did look exactly like the photos. What it didnt show was the sise, very cold looking with a very tiny sitting area. The bedroom was a reasoably spacious, as was the bathroom, but the tiles in the bathroom looked just like concrete slabs,none too clean .Because of it's tiny sise the pool that did open directly from the tiny living area and bedroom, was so inclosed, that the water was icy cold, even in the heat of Bali, we couldnt use it Staff in the dining room were lovely, I received cold eggs on our first morning but when I told the waiter, this didnt happen again.. It was very difficult to walk on to the main road, because of the mud and pot holes, also traffic.
It was not good vallue for money. We spent every single day in my brothers spacious villa, which was also in Seminynak. We would most definately not choose to stay at Maca Villas again. Very poor vallue for the cost of accommodation.

Room Tip: Research more carefully as to sise and location.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Yoga I, General Manager at Maca Villas & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Abqaiq,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at Maca Villas & Spa Bali. We always strive to deliver the best levels of service to our guests and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to do so. This is certainly not the experience we want our valued guests to have while at the Villa.

The poor entrance road because of the mud and pot holes occur because of the raining season, however we will discuss this issue among the community to get it fix as soon as possible.

I will review the issues you had with the cold eggs. We have designed a container box of food that can keep the food warm while delivering in villa dining, we noticed that the further villas require a little bit extra time for the food delivery, so this box will ensure the quality of food to be well maintained.

Your comments about the tiles in the bathroom are duly noted. The bathrooms tiles are made from terrazzo combined with natural stone and have been designed to fit in with the natural surrounding of Bali and at the same time display a sense of luxury for our guests. I am sorry that the size of the villas did not meet your expectations. Maca Villas pride ourselves on trying to exceed our guests' expectations and we truly value the information you have shared with us. Please rest assured we will look in to all your comments in great detail.

On a positive note, I am delighted that the Maca team did a great job at looking after and assisting you and family during your stay. We receive many positive comments about our Team and I am happy to hear that you felt likewise.

Should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail, I would very much like the opportunity to speak with you personally. I can be reached at yoga.iswara@macavillas.com or on +62 361 739090.

Zeist, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

During Christmas 2012, we stayed in the Maca Villas for six nights. We originally booked a standard pool villa but upon arrival decided to switch to a deluxe villa (the deluxe have a "Bale" in the garden which we ended up using a lot - great to lounge when it's raining!). The villas look exactly like the photos on the website, what you see is what you get!

You can slide away all walls of the villa so you can literally dive into the pool from your bed or the living room. All parts (living room, bedroom and bathroom) are spacious and well furnished. There are separate air conditioning units for the bedroom and the living room, and as such the capacity is more than enough an you can enjoy a "cool" night of sleep. The bedroom also has a TV with entertainment center, among which are 80+ recent movies in HD quality (free!). We didn't use it at all, but it's there! Apart from the villas, the most priceless asset of Maca Villas is really the staff. They are so friendly and helpful, and accommodate every request with amazing speed. Restaurant reservations, extra towels, food - you name it and it's being taken care of.

They also provide a free shuttle service in the Seminyak area, which is very convenient if you want to dine in one of the nice restaurants in the area (we dined at Metis, Sardine, La Lucciola, Sarong and Mamasan - To Sarong you can walk, the rest is within the "shuttle" distance!).

Indeed, the road in front of the Maca is horrible (potholes and sand), but does this really matter? We only used the restaurant (Mase Grill) once, the quality was fine but we only had one dish so can't really comment. The lunches we had in our room (Salads and sandwiches) were very good though and also came from Mase's kitchen.

But if everything is so positive, then why not a rating of 5 stars? Some small things! First, the villas are starting to show some wear, especially in the bathroom (shower) where paint was peeling a little and mold was visible on the ground. I hope they take care of this quickly, it's really a pity! This also has to do with cleanliness - We unfortunately had to call twice on two different days to have new towels and bathrobes delivered as the ones in our room contained different brown stains - while they were supposed to be "clean". And finally, we felt there could be a little more choice in breakfast options and found it quite strange that you're not allowed to have an espresso with your breakfast (which on the menu costs the same as a coffee) - Only if you pay additional. We feel that for accommodation in this category this should really be included, especially when they have their own coffee bar (Ippolito) on site!

All in all we had a wonderful stay in the Maca and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in Seminyak with no need to be directly at the beach!

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe villa with a Bale, as it's fantastic to chill-out during the day!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Maca Villas for 2 nights from the 29th of November-1st of December 2012 and had an absolutely fantastic experience.
The staff were so friendly and helpful and went well out of their way to adhere to all our needs whilst we stayed there. For example, my husband was sick on our second day there, they recommended a doctor for us, called them and then after they had left we were asked by all members of staff that we ran into how he was feeling and not to hesitate to ask if we needed ANYTHING. They also allowed us a later check out due to his illness at no extra cost which we were so thankful for as we had a late flight out of Bali on our last night.

We stayed in the standard pool villa and it was beautiful, very clean and tidy, the bed was so comfortable and the sheets were nice and clean. Television was excellent and we were even able to turn it around so we could watch it while we were in the pool- which was also amazing; a little cooler than the average pool in Bali but still beautiful given how hot the weather is, it was lovely and refreshing.

We would recommend the Maca Villas to anyone and everyone, the service is wonderful, staff are amazingly kind and friendly and the villas themselves are fabulous. Makes for a great romantic holiday!!
Looking forward to coming back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Maca Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!