To be honest, we didn't love Rumi Villas. I had read such wonderful things and we were staying there on a personal recommendation from a family friend so perhaps our expectations were too high going in.
* Mike (owner) was great to deal with, extremely fast to reply to all emails. Payment for the stay could be made in AU dollars via bank transfer meaning we saved on credit card fees / international transaction fees.
* The villas were close to Eat Street which had supermarket, chemist, restaurants, spas and shops.
* Pool safety fence was provided at no extra charge.
* Numerous pool towels provided
* Entry to Canggu Club is free of charge when you are a villa guest and it's a wonderful place to visit, especially with young children.
* The site is very secure with staff present 24 hours a day.
* The maids were generous with their time in terms of after hours babysitting which was fantastic. We felt safe leaving the children with the maids at the villa whilst we enjoyed a few date nights.
* We stayed in Villa Mimpi which, in our opinion, is a bit run down and tired. The kitchen is covered in lime scale which makes it feel a bit grotty (it IS clean, but looks unclean) and both sinks in the master ensuite had mould and limescale around the plug holes. Little details perhaps but they didn't make a great first impression.
* The fridge doesn't get very cold. We had to buy ice for the beer! (Very first world problem, I know).
* The air conditioning is turned off by the maids if you are not in the bedrooms. Given the bedrooms were the only place to retreat from the heat and humidity, I wanted the aircon to run all day. The maids would even turn off the aircon if the children were using the rooms and one day the aircon was turned off whilst I was napping in the room which I found frustrating.
* The wifi was spotty. We had troubles logging on to begin with and for the duration of the stay, we were booted offline every five minutes or less. Not a big deal to log in again, but annoying when you are having to do this literally every five minutes. Mid What's App I'd be required to log in to the wifi again. Definitely our worst wifi experience whilst in Bali.
* The layout of the villa is not ideal for families with young children as the downstairs bedroom is entirely separated from the upstairs bedroom. You cannot hear the children downstairs which can be problematic if your children wake overnight. I'll admit that I should have paid closer attention to the photos and floor plans prior to booking and worked this out for myself.
* For us, the biggest issue was lack of privacy. We did not realise that when we booked into Rumi Villas we would be provided with maid service **eight hours per day**. Our maids (we had a variety) were all lovely people, friendly, good with our children and they cleaned, cooked breakfast and did our washing. I knew maid service would be part of the package at Rumi, however, nowhere was it stated that the maids would be present for such a long period of time every day. We found the lack of privacy that came with such extended maid service to be stifling and unsuitable for our family. If you wish to stay at Rumi Villas, just be aware that for eight hours a day you will not be alone in your villa.