“Lovely Villa” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Rumi Villas to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Rumi Villas
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   117 Jalan Laksmana | Gang Intikulit, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #148 of 296 Specialty lodging in Seminyak
Perth, Australia
“Lovely Villa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were a group of 4 who stayed for 7 days at Rumi Villas. We were very happy with the villa & the facilities it provided, however would have been nice if we didn't have to supply our own shampoo/soap/hair dryer etc. Our maid Dewi was very helpful and happy to assist whenever required. The villas are very close to restaurants and mini marts which is very handy. The rooms were very clean and the beds were excellent. Mosquitos were fairly bad, however sprays and mozzie coils were provided. The Wi-Fi was unstable most of the time so we weren't able to access emails etc. Aside from that I would highly recommend these villas.

Room Tip: I would imagine the first villa would be quite noisy as it's a bit of a thoroughfare for scooter...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have only just returned (8/8/14) from staying 10 nights @ 4 Villa Rumi accommodation (three couples & one singe) which we found absolutely perfect as much due to overall comfort but more due to extremely helpful and efficient staff (nothing was to difficult). Villas are in an excellent location, close to all facilities, close to the beach and close to some of the beast Bali's Restaurants. All these made my 1st visit to Bali most satisfying.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Shoalhaven heads
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We had 14 people stay age group ranging from 8 to 67. Booked the 3 bedroom villa and the adjoining 2+2 bedroom villa. It was just a perfect set up for us. Wayan and the girls were fantastic and as for their cooking it was amazing. The staff were awesome and couldn't do anymore for you. Mike the owner has done a fantastic job on creating paradise villas in Bali. Highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed July 2014
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We are an expat family from the U.S. currently living in Asia, so we've had the opportunity to travel quite a bit. This is our 3rd visit to Bali over the past 5 years since many of our visitors want to experience this special place. We always choose to stay in a villa over a hotel -- this is just one of the things that we feel makes visiting Bali extra special and different from many other locations.

We stayed in the 4-bedroom villa and I'll start with the positives:
- The villa was beautiful with just the right balance of Balinese and modern style
- The location in Seminyak was very convenient to restaurants, cafes and shops
- The staff was gracious, though I think you'll find that at most places in Bali
- Beds and rooms are incredibly comfy and we all slept great!

Some of the challenges
- The wifi is flat out bad. If you are in Bali simply to relax (which many people are) or you just need to periodically check email, than you'll be fine. What you wouldn't be able to do is download files or participate in a video conference, which both my husband and I needed to do at one point during our stay.
- The beach is quite a distance on foot. We don't mind a nice walk, but we found it wasn't really practical to walk to the beach from the villa -- cabs are everywhere, so getting there won't be an issue except on the way home when you're wet and sandy. Taxis will still take you but might charge a bit extra!
- There were an extraordinary amount of mosquitoes at the villa. We currently live in Malaysia and are quite used to battling with mosquitoes, but this took the battle to a whole new level. It was probably amplified by the fact that all the common areas in the villa are completely open and exposed. It's the end of the wet season in Bali, so you may not find this same problem throughout the year.
- The breakfast is great, but I would recommend eating out for the rest of your meals. We've been to villas where one of the highlights was eating dinner in the villa, but this is not that place. The villa is surrounded by amazing restaurants and I imagine most guests take advantage of that and therefore a 5-star chef at the villa isn't necessary.
- Make sure to bring all of your own toiletries as there aren't any provided (not even shampoo). We typical travel with that stuff anyway, but our friends didn't and I was a bit surprised by the lack of this small detail.

A few side notes:
We suffered a lot of power outages throughout our stay, which is not the end of the world, but is a bit inconvenient when you're in the midst of a shower and the water shuts off. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so maybe this was an isolated issue that will soon be fixed. We tried to get a sense for that, but no one could answer that question.

Nyepi Day (Bali Day of Silence) only happens once a year, but since it frequently falls during Spring Break, this happens to be the 2nd time we've been in Bali for this. It's an extra challenge at this particular villa since they won't have any staff. Hotels and some other villas do. When we experienced Bali on Nyepi day before, we enjoyed the day of rest and relaxation (you aren't allowed to leave the villa or keep lights on) and the chef cooked us a dinner that we ate by candlelight. In this case, the staff left the day before Nyepi at 2pm and so we spent our first two days cooking, cleaning and washing dishes. I believe it's because they don't have any guest quarters for the staff at this villa and no one is allowed to come or go on that day, so I don't imagine that will change.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Firstly I have to say that our housekeeper Dewi was more than wonderful. Without her our stay would have just been average, but having her to cater to everyday tasks was such a joy and made our stay a true holiday.

The villa on the other hand needs some major maintenance. The pond, which could (and should) be a beautiful feature was nothing more than a dank wet spot. No plants and one solitary sad looking goldfish.
The grassed areas were about 50% grass and 50% mud. Apparently there is a full time gardener, but we didn't see them once and I don't think the villa had for months. The shutters on the windows on the upstairs room could not be kept open as all of the latches were broken. The plugs in the bathroom sinks went in just fine, getting them up again was tricky indeed. The pool fence (although it was free and we were very happy to have it) was rusty and held together with plastic twine. Our two year old needed to be supervised when he went near it as if he had wanted to he could have easily gotten through. One of the bedrooms stank of damp which I know is often part and parcel of tropical travel, but the other two were just fine so perhaps this was an indication of a problem. If all these things were attended to and the place had a lick of paint then it would be entitled to use the word "luxury" as it claims. We did however have a look in at the 4 bedroom villa, and it was perfect. But why the lack of care in the others.

The gate lock wasn't working properly when we arrived and I broke the key in it. I tried to find the "security" guard but he was nowhere to be found. Later the same night another staff member was looking for him. Apparently he was in a vacant Villa, with the gate locked from inside. Excellent security.

Also Mike the owner must brush up on his customer service skills. "Hi & final payment due" doesn't quite cut it as far as I'm concerned.

Putting all this aside, I don't mind not so luxurious digs, from what I can tell the price is pretty good, and Dewi was marvellous. Therefore I will probably stay again.

Fix the issues Mike and it will be a truly great place.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked this villa based on the reviews on Trip advisor.

Recommendation - Do not part with your money unless you are 100% sure you really want to stay at this property;
Reason - you do not get your deposit back if you change your mind; or if plans change.
The deal is .... If they can rebook your dates then and only then will they look at a refund;
however you have no guarantee if that will happen as its out of your control and you are relying on the owner Mike - to do the right thing.
For me I would not book this type of accommodation again.
Positives – The villa is quiet and the pictures on the web is what you get – all the reviews re the maid and the security are true and correct and the position is good apart from the gang way which I hated walking back at night as this is dimly lit.
Negatives – Mosquito’s big problem, and its not luxury its actually a really basic villa with problems like gas bottles running out, electricity not available twice and toilets blocking and pump noises in the morning however there has been comments on trip advisor previously about the negatives.
The bedrooms in the two bedroom villa are far apart. This could be an issue for families and there is no T.V in the main living area so we had to revert to our bedrooms if we wanted to watch a movie.
I was in the villa for 5 nights, then moved to a 5 star resort that was luxury and I much preferred this – I guess if you go on holiday you want something the same or better than your current accomodation and the villa just did not do this for me, however everyone is different and if you have booked this then it may be for you.
This is not cheap I paid for 5 nights $1750 plus another $70.00 for breakfast total $1830 for three people and i do think i could have done a lot better for accomodation as there is so much to choose from in Bali.
My Daughter paid $100.00 per night including breakfast on the beach for two people in a 4 star hotel so its easy to work out for value what you are getting

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at Villa Mimpi in August. We have been world travellers in the past and also have been residents of a few different countries to have a good idea of comparing. Been to Bali many times before to this visit.

Positives:
-The location is absolutely fantastic!
-The villa maid idea is awesome! Nana was very nice and very helpful.
.... It if wasn't for her, our holiday would have been even very disappointing.
We got a deal with airport pick up, breakfast and massages- which made all the negatives bearable.

Negatives: (These are based on the price that is charged for these villas and right away you have an assumption for certain standards)

- Wi-fi was very bad- every other place that we went to around the neighbourhood had awesome wi-fi, but apparently we couldn't understand why the wi-fi at this villa was so bad. My husband had to log into work and was unable to do so during working hours. So we only had planned to use wi-fi to do our work log in and calls etc.

-the place itself was out dated and looked old ( our first impression when we walked in)

- microwave and a hot water kettle would have been a huge help ( before the maid got there at 8 am) especially when travelling with small kids to be able to warm up bottles etc.

- not sure why there were no screen doors or something to keep the mosquitoes out?

- my twin toddlers were easily able to pull apart the baby gate leading up to the stairs

- the locker area was very dark at night and not sure why not set up at the eye level or so to make it easier?

-the toilet upstairs kept on plugging up ( we never used the downstairs one), the bathroom lights were very dim and I saw a couple of blubs that looked fused- made it a bit hard to get ready before heading out at night.

- some small toiletry supplies( shampoo etc) would be a nice touch

Keep in mind if traveling with small kids- there is a fair distance between the 2 rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rumi Villas? Share your experiences!