“Semara Magic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 91 hotels in Seminyak
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Semara Magic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Semara is a great place to stay.
Great service, friendly staff and nothing was too much.
Great pool are with sun lounges.
The Deck restaurant is great with good food, pool tables, good staff'and live sports on TV

Room Tip: Great food at the resort at a very reasonable price

439 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This resort is just a few blocks north of the center of Seminyak. Although the hotel was not directly on the beach, it was still only a 5 min walk away to the nearest public beach entrance. The hotel itself was a smaller boutique style hotel complete with restaurant, 2 swimming pools, and a spa. The rooms were nice & modern, albeit small. The staff was very warm & welcoming, providing excellent service. My only gripe with this place was the pool noise. They “upgraded” us to a poolside room, which was super noisy due to the fact that they let kids start swimming at 7am! We asked to either be downgraded or upgraded again away from the pool area but alas, no luck due to a sold out weekend. If you don’t mind early mornings, this hotel will be great for you- location, service, spa, style, food quality= all top notch, otherwise, book elsewhere.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I normally stay at Intercontinental with my family however travelled alone on this occasion so wanted something close to shops and restaurants.

Loved the room...better than Intercon....but did miss the resort feel of Intercon. Loved the free wifi in rooms! Room service, whilst limited was good quality. Biku was across the road so was a regular visitor for their breakfasts.

Overall would highly recommend - value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
SemaraManagement, Manager at Semara Resort & Spa Seminyak, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Robertsons_of_Perth,

Thank you for the review. Glad you chose to stay with us on this visit and would recommend Semara Resort. It is true our location is right in the middle of all the best Restaurants, Beach Clubs and Shopping, and I trust you took full advantage of this!

We hope to offer a unique experience at Semara Resort. Ours is a boutique style property, and what we may lack in size is well made up for in quality.
We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Bali.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were initially booked in to a poolside room, but upon reading tripadvisor reviews upgraded our booking to a Superior poolside. I am so glad we did. Having no children ourselves and wanting our holiday to be peaceful & relaxing, we thoroughly enjoyed the tranquil zone, except on a couple of mornings when the staff were talking outside the rooms at 6.30am, chatting and laughing and on other days clipping the lawn around 7-7.30am. Perhaps these tasks could be delayed by an hour or 2!

On the whole, the staff were amazingly friendly & helpful. Always greeting us with a smile and welcome. It is nice to see this consistency throughout the hotel.

A small concern was that during our stay, a family with a young child was also checked in to the Superior Poolside rooms in this “Tranquil Zone”. Fortunately for us, they did not make too much noise, but this could defeat the purpose of the “tranquil zone”. Perhaps this area is best kept as an adult zone, as the main pool offers more space for children.

The main pool in certainly very noisy during the day, with lots of familes staying at the resort and the poolside rooms in this part of the resort are not shielded from this noise. I think it is important to point this out to those booked in those room types. These rooms are also considerably smaller than the Superior and Executive rooms.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, try the Executive Rooms and ask for a quieter room - away from the main pool...
Dear PerthSchatzi,

Thanks for the review. I am glad to hear you were able to upgrade and experience our Superior Poolside rooms.

Here at Semara Resort the ground staffs are scheduled to carry out work near guest rooms after 9am, and I am sorry for any disturbance during your stay. I have followed this up, and reminded all of our ground staff to minimize noise at all times.

We also have policies in place to have families and couples allocated to different buildings whenever possible.

You are correct, Poolside Rooms are our cheapest room category, the rooms are 30m2 and overlook the main swimming pool. Executive Rooms are 60m2, have separate shower and bath and are located in the garden area. The additional to upgrade to an Executive Suite is well worth it !

I am happy you found the team at Semara amazingly friendly and helpful throughout the resort, and I have also passed this sentiment on to them.
We hope to see you on your next visit Bali.
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked August 5th-19th 2012. We had a poolside room, just a basic room as we were going to be out and about a lot. The bed was comfy, nice pillows, overall space in the room a bit small though. Bathroom was average size but shower was huge, shower gel and lotion etc was good quality (I am very picky with skincare).The room and entire property was clean and well-kept, and the staff was always smiling and helpful. I loved the gym, nice equipment to have a decent workout. We had breakfast there most mornings and enjoyed the buffet for the price. Overall I was very comfortable and would definitely stay here again. I have to mention I checked out and went to Kuta to hang out with a friend until my late night flight. I discovered in the evening I forgot my makeup bag there with easily 500 dollars worth of makeup. Well I called and they had it safe and secure and I was able to go back and pick it up. I have to commend the staff for the honesty. The staff was the highlight of the hotel for me. This was my first time to bali so I didn't know my way around very well, my boyfriend was riding me around on the scooter. But the location I think is pretty good, we never seemed that far away from anywhere we were going. One problem I had was that the wifi and cel signal was very poor in my room, and that could just be bad luck on my part because of room location. I would have to come out on the porch to get good wifi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
SemaraManagement, Manager at Semara Resort & Spa Seminyak, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Sexiverni, thanks for the review and what an important message this also involves. It was with great pride that I read your story about our staff finding your expensive makeup bag and successfully returning it you. A great resort is dependent on great staff. We really are fortunate to have such a fantastic team here at Semara. I intend to personally follow this up and make sure the staff members responsible are duly rewarded.

We look forward to seeing you when you return to Bali.
Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We booked to stay at the Semara for 3 nights after a 6 night stay on Lembongan Island. The hotel is very nice staff lovely unfortunately our rooms (Executive) where overlooking the main pool, lots of young children and lots and lots of noise. We were woken up at 6.15am by families above us. We had paid in full for three rooms but left after 1 night with unfortunately no refund, I am not surprised that the hotel makes this rule as if you are a group of adults unless you were situated further down towards the "quite area" (we requested this on numerous emails) it really doesn't suit.

The quite zone "adults pool" only has 10 sun loungers this is something the hotel needs to address if it would like clientele without children.

At the time of booking I didn't realise that the hotel had such a popular kids club, we booked as it was close to restaurants in Seminyak, Overall a nice hotel for families but I wouldn't recommend for couples.

We relocated to a Villa in Canggu which suited us and was beautiful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tina,
Our apologies for not been able to change your room, as it was a very busy period. We do endeavor to separate families and couples within our buildings however on this occasion this must not have been possible.

Our second pool the ‘Gazebo’ pool is just about to undergo some changes, and part of this will include adding more sun lounges.

Our goal here at Semara is to provide an equally enjoyable time for families, singles and couples. We are introducing new strategies all the time toward this goal.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is the first time we found place for my Holiday with family , my kids always plied in Cubby House Kid Club so that we have free time for gone any where with my wife,
Thank you for all staff in Cubby house kids club for take care while we stayed in Semara Rsorts& Sa , Seminyak, of course we will come back soon in next my holiday with family

Room Tip: stay in room 209 at 2nd floor pool view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Semara Resort & Spa Seminyak? Share your experiences!