“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 78 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our Villa Blubambu experience was a pleasure from start to finish. Even prior to arriving, Mathieu was fantastic via email, arranging airport pick up and VIP visa service at our request. On arrival we were blown away by the spectacular gardens, beautiful pools, lovely villas and outstanding service from Mathieu, Gede and staff. Although there was always someone to assist if needed, this was without intrusion, providing us with feeling of privacy and relaxation for our 6 night stay. Breakfasts under the pergola were delicious, fruit, warm baguette and omelettes our preference.
Finally, the location is great too- a short stroll to the beach and restaurants of Seminyak.

Overall we couldn't fault our stay, and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Villa Blubamboo is a great find in the hussle and bussle of seminyak. It's centrally located so getting around is easy. The ground are maintained beautifully and the staff are very attentative and accommodating. Mathiew the owner is so friendly and helpful and makes you feel very welcome. He also knows a good driver who is able to take you to all the sites across Bali. Only improvement would be the plumbing with the shower an toilets but this is minor and it was rainy season. I really recommend this place and we will surely be back !

• Stayed January 2013
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My family really enjoyed their stay at Villa Blubambu and it was always lovely to come 'home' after being out and about. It was a haven that encouraged quiet contemplation. We weren't always that quiet though - my 7yr old had room to move and explore and practically lived in the pool. Matthieu was a warm and gracious host and showed genuine concern for the welfare of his guests. His staff were incredibly obliging to ensure we were happy, down to the small details. The surrounding laneways can seem a little like a maze but the benefits of being tucked away are obvious when you experience the tranquility of the property. I couldn't think of a reason to look elsewhere if we are staying in the area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

When we left Villa Blubambu, it felt like saying good bye to friends. The place itself is gorgeous, and the villas have everything you may need. Great deal of thought has gone into planning and making the place as comfortable to travellers as it can be.

The planning really shows! Usually hotels lack something, but this one does not. There is a safe, a kettle, a fridge with room to put juice etc into, an extra umbrella for the rainy season etc. And because of the careful planning and hard work behind the scenes, everything seems effortless. Things just work.

It is difficult to strike some balances (e.g. between being friendly and available but not intrusive or constrictive; providing services but not disturbing), but Mathieu somehow manages to do so with ease. That´s why Villa Blubambu is such a great place.

A general tip:
Villa Blubambu is a bit difficult to find, and pre-arranged transport from the airport is probably a good idea.

Room Tip: There are only three villas (as far as we could see). Book early.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Villa Blubambu is flawless. The staff is warm and helpful, always welcoming and accommodating. The owner, Mathieu, is attentive and friendly. It is evident that Mathieu manages his staff well and fosters a great work environment for all the workers, from the gardener and pool attendant to the cooks, cleaners, and his villa manager, Gede. From the moment we arrived, Gede welcomed us at the end of the driveway, with umbrellas due to the rain, and helped us into the reception area of the villa grounds. He provided us with two welcome drinks, the local beer Bintang, which was gladly received after a long journey from Gili Meno near Lombok to the East of Bali. He was incredibly helpful in helping us get oriented with Seminyak and answering my husband's dozen questions. He made sure we were comfortable in our villa and understood where everything was located and how to operate things, before leaving us to get settled. The villa we had I believe is #3. There are only 3 villas. Two are closest to the main house and one is tucked back a bit in the garden with more privacy, perfect for our honeymoon. The two villas closest to the main house share an adjoining pool that comes right up to their patios, and the third villa has its own pool, longer and more narrow and perfect for wading or swimming laps. We heard in one or both of the two villas closest to the main house there is an incredible outdoor shower, so it seems you really can't go wrong with whichever villa you get. Plus, everyone shares the pools so it's not like they're exclusive to your villa. One friendly woman from Finland told us at breakfast she had used our pool that morning, and she hoped she didn't wake us, and we had had no idea she had gone for a swim -- hadn't heard a sound! The Villa Blubambu location and grounds are perfect. First, the location. You can easily walk to the beach in under 10 minutes. Along the way you pass nearly everything you'd need during your trip. In fact, just down the driveway from Villa Blubambu is a place to get your laundry done if you need it, along with a small store that sells sun tan lotion, cold beer and water, snacks, and other useful items. From Villa Blubambu it's also about a 10 minute walk to the main shopping street, Kayu Aya. There are restaurants a-plenty, and in fact, our first night at Villa Blubambu, we were so exhausted from our 6-hour journey that we decided to get food delivered, which Gede orchestrated for us. As for the grounds of the Villa property, they are immaculate. There is a beautiful long table seating 8 that is on a small patio with a terrace overhead that is covered with green ivy that falls down around the table and provides ample shade and serenity. On dry mornings, this is where breakfast is served for the guests. Otherwise it is served on the first floor of the main house, which has a living room, dining room and kitchen, all in one big, open room with an entire wall of glass doors spilling out to the villa grounds. The owner, Mathieu, lives on the top floor. On the grounds there is also a hammock and a gazebo with cushions for enjoying the day in the shade. Next to each of the pools are sun loungers with cushions, tables and umbrellas. At the entrance of the villa, there is a beautiful small pond you have to walk across via stepping stones to enter, filled with colorful koi fish. Overall, the place is breathtakingly beautiful and provides solitude and peace away from the hustle and bustle of the noise of the busy streets of Seminyak but with the convenience of being right on the doorstep of it all -- only a short walk on a couple side streets to get to the main busy ones. Breakfast is included and very delicious. You can select exactly what you want from a menu the day before, including the time you want it to be served between 8 and 11 a.m. The menu includes everything from coffee/tea/juice to croissant/baguette/toast to eggs cooked however you'd like, to delicious fruit plates filled with at least 7 different types of fruits -- some local -- to salad/tomatoes/cucumber and various cream cheese spreads, jams and butter. During our stay, I developed a common form of traveler's stomach bug and was a bit under the weather, and Mathieu was very attentive in making sure I was okay. He even fielded a couple emails from my husband's mother, checking in on me via the Villa's main email address, and he was very courteous and thorough in his communications with her as well as passing on the messages to us promptly. We highly recommend Villa Blubambu to other travelers and think you'll very much have a pleasant and relaxing stay at Villa Blubambu.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I visited Blubambu alone and was made to feel very welcome and safe. What makes it is the staff- they're so very helpful. It's a quiet and peaceful location but within walking distance of the beach and shops. The pools are very well kept and the room was very clean. A lot of care and attention goes into running Blubambu, which really shows and makes up for any short comings. I very much enjoyed my stay and hope to return again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Where do I start with describing this amazing place? We stayed for 2 weeks at the beginning of September 2012. Booking the villa was made so easy by Mathieu who was quick to reply and respond to my many queries. He also arranged transport for us from the airport to the villa, I would recommend this as it is in a small gang that is a little tricky to find, but this also makes it very private.
When we got to the villa, Mathieu was there to greet us at the beautiful double doors that are the entry to the grounds, he took my bag and as I walked through the doors was immediately enchanted by the beauty and tranquility of this gorgeous space. The koi fish in the pond became my personal pets during our stay and every time we would walk past them I would say hello (I named the biggest koi "big Ted") and they would greet us too (ok ok they probably just wanted food).
Mathieu walked us to the main house, and as we arrived in the evening, the gardens and pools were beautifully lit. It was really a special moment when my eyes took in the beauty of this amazing place. Mathieu described the features of the guesthouses and he was very caring and attentive - this continued for our whole stay, he really is incredible.
We stayed at the villa closest to the main house, which was also beautiful, it had a large (king size?) bed with side tables, a tv, small fridge, tea/coffee making facilities and a small nook where you could sit and read. The bathroom had lots of storage with double closets, a safe and an outdoor shower. Initially I was a bit cagey about using an outdoor shower, but after the first day I got over it - it is fully private and no one can see you (unless they're standing IN the bathroom).
We both slept really well, the beds are very comfortable and it is a very quiet space. We were often woken early by the local roosters and the odd dog barking but had no problem going back to sleep. Breakfast was served by Putu and Mitah who were very attentive and sweet, I still remember the melodic sound of their "good morning" and "how did you sleep?" which they used to greet us every day. Both girls were very friendly and were happy to deal with any requests.
I had mentioned to Mathieu that I had wanted to purchase some new outdoor fabric cushion covers for my outdoor setting, and asked him whether he knew anyone that could help. I knew it was an unusual request, and had no expectations. Well, Mathieu totally blew me away! He and Gede arranged for a representative from a company that makes outdoor covers to come to the villa with some fabric samples. He didn't speak any English, so Gede interpreted and we were able to have our outdoor covers made to order! And so inexpensive too! A few days after the order, they came to drop off what they had made for us - it was perfect (everytime I look at our outdoor furniture I'm reminded of this experience!). Wow wow all I can say is wow.
The pools of the guesthouses are also beautiful, we swam mostly in the pool closest to the villa and we rarely saw any of the other guests. In the 2 weeks we were there, I think there was only half a dozen times that anyone else was in the pool when we were. It was really like having our own guesthouse with a private pool.
We also celebrated our wedding anniversary whilst we were staying at Villa Blubambu, the staff had arranged a special wedding anniversary cake for us! This gorgeous place just keeps on blowing me away. Mathieu and the staff are so thoughtful, caring and friendly.
One of my favourite staff members was Nyoman, the gardener. He worked magic with the gardens, beautiful phalaenopsis orchids were located at various spots around the garden, the garden had the soft scent of frangipani from the gorgeous trees nearby. Every morning he would greet us and was always hard at work in the garden, his care and attentiveness really shows, I did not see one weed in the garden anywhere! It was truly stunning. I also noticed that Brenda (Mathieu's wife) would spend time a few times a week to help teach Nyoman English. It's these things that demonstrate how much Mathieu and the staff love this place and how well they treat each other.
Loved loved loved this place, I did not want to leave! I'm already planning when I can go back again!

Room Tip: Choose guesthouse number 3 if you want the ultimate in privacy, though this guesthouse does not have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Blubambu? Share your experiences!