“AMAZING!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Escape Haven Bali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seminyak
Escape Haven Bali
You added Escape Haven Bali to your Saves list
Jalan Saritemuku | Gang Sandat, Seminyak, Bali 2000, Indonesia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I booked to do surf haven as a solo and was welcomed in and met a great bunch of girls. Everything is great at this retreat from food, to staff to activities. Amanda the yoga teacher was beautiful, Mel our retreat leader was great, Jen the owner is inspirational and the boys at Double D surfing were awesome!

The accommodation is fantastic and very relaxing and all the staff at the villa are lovely and helpful. The food they make was sensational. Everything about this retreat is amazing!

Nothing more I could say, than just go and do it!!! It will be one of the best holidays you have!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I went on the Surf Haven Bali retreat in April 2011 and I can't stop talking about it. I had the most amazing time and came back feeling so rejuvenated and relaxed having met such great people AND now being able to surf and catch my own waves!

The villa we stayed in was absolutely stunning. It was beautifully designed, comfortable and very clean. The food was sensational, I left wishing that I could cook for myself like that forever. Lovely freshly cooked organic meals every day. The staff were so friendly, and knowledgable and would do anything to help.

The Surf Instructors at Double D were very professional yet made the daunting task of surfing in a week extremely fun. I loved the morning yoga sessions too - such a great start to the day. I had planned 3 days after the retreat to visit more of Bali but ended up continuing the yoga and the surfing in Seminyak for 3 days before I flew home.. I couldn't get enough!

This is a great trip for girls travelling on their own as well. I travelled with a friend but we were the only friends on the trip, everyone else was travelling solo. The days are quite jam-packed with activities however you dont have to do everything and can always opt out of something and just chill at the villa.

I also really enjoyed staying in Seminyak. My previous experience of Bali was seeing Kuta and I wasnt impressed, but Seminyak is a lot nicer, with beautiful restaurants, bars and boutique shops.

I would highly recommend Surf Haven Bali to anyone wanting to have a break and recharge and rejuvenate - and learn to surf!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

From the moment we arrived we knew we made the right choice about joining Surf Haven's surf and yoga retreat. We were picked up at the airport and taken to the lovely villa located in Seminyak. We were warmly greeted by the founder, Janine Hall. We were treated with welcome drinks and delicious rice paper spring rolls filled with vegetables on our arrival (yum!). Janine sat with us as we snacked and showed genuine care in getting to get to know a little more about us. I thought that was a really nice touch. After some chat we were shown to our room. It was spectacular- better than we had imagined. I don't want to spoil the surprises for future travelers to Surf Haven, but I will mention she is incredibly thoughtful and each day there was a little something new waiting for us. My friend and I shared a double room which had loads of closet and drawer space- so don't be afraid to overpack! The bathroom is really cool and the shower is "open air". I saw the other rooms in the villa and some were even better than ours, so believe me, you won't be disappointed. The villa itself is quite cozy. There is a common room where all the guests can hang out and chat. It opens up to the pool area and the rooms are situated along the side. It's really cute. Now let's discuss the food. Wow. I am a big eater and quality of food is very important to me. I was really satisied with what we were served. Her menu leans toward a more gluten free, vegetarian/wellness type of cuisine. Ordinarliy this would turn me off (bring me a steak and a hearty pasta with extra cheese, that's more my style) but it was really good. Meat wasn't excluded. There were evenings where we had bbq'd fish and I think there was chicken in one of the salads. You were never left hungry after meals, that's for sure and they are happy to accomdate any dietary issues. It also helps that there is a 24 hour butler so if you wake up and have a hankering for something to eat or drink, he'll get something sorted for you! There is wine and beer available but it is an extra cost. It's a bit pricey for the quality- but that's not really their fault. There are enormous taxes on alcohol in Indonesia so buying great wines would come at a huge cost passed on to the guests. That said, we managed to drink A LOT of that wine on a few evenings! I would recommend buying 2 bottles at duty free on the way into the country- they will happily keep it cold for you. Which brings me to the point of service at Surf Haven. Again, amazing. Attentive. Smiling. Not in your way, but there when you need them. It was perfect- they were perfect and I was very happy to tip them at the end of my stay, it was well deserved. I've rambled on and haven't mentioned anything about the yoga or surfing!? Well, it's great. The yoga is on premise and the instructor, while he talks a lot, which I don't mind because it keeps my mind off the pain of bending myself into a pretzel, others might find it bothersome but I am sure you'll be satisfied with the qualtiy. The surfing lessons are with a company called Double D- and they are great. Dedic is the guy who started it and he and his staff really know how to make you feel comfortable-even if you've never stepped foot on a surf board. There are also options for stand up paddle (SUPbali.com) which I highly recommend. The instructor Pete is super patient and really really good at not letting you get frustrated but keeping on you to improve. I used him again after my stay with Surf Haven as well as Dedic at Double D so I am serious when I say they are good. I could go on, but I'll stop here. I end with, yes I enjoyed it- a lot. So much so that I am considering going back in November or December! If you're on the fence about choosing this retreat, get off your butt and sign up- you won't be sorry and the friends you'll make while there makes it even more worth it!

Room Tip: If you can swing the extra cost- get the room upstairs with its own plunge pool.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Simply excellent! Great retreat accommodation, fantastic food (but I did miss chocolate), 24/7 exceptional service, professional and knowledgeable surf and yoga instructors, beautiful and welcoming hostesses. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

What a great week with fab friends, food, yoga, surf, g&t's, and a bit of dancing to meatloaf!!
The villa was beautiful, and the staff were fantastic. A great week away, would love to do it again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

As a frequent visitor to Bali our week at The SurfHaven & Villa Jepun was a whole new experience. Most enjoyable trip away, with a fantastic mix of amazing food, friends, travel, relaxation, exercise & surfing.
We were very well looked after from start to finish. The staff at the Villa were exceptional.
I would love to do it all again. A kid free week, being well looked after & pampered in the most idyllic setting, living the dream.....

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Six friends and I booked our trip to Surf Haven Bali to celebrate a milestone birthday. Right from the first email enquiry, the staff at Surf Haven were friendly, responsive, and made it easy to plan and book our retreat. The villa was beautiful, very clean, extremely comfortable, and had enough space that you could be with the other guests or retire to a quiet place for some r&r. The staff at the villa were friendly, accommodating, and left me feeling spoiled and pampered. The surf instructors were excellent. I've tried surfing before and had more success in Bali in just the first three days than I'd ever experienced before. The yoga was integral to my success on the water and absolutely was one of the highlights of the retreat. The Surf Haven staff had lots of ideas of how to use our free time and suggested different options and helped us organise everything. It was truly a carefree holiday with just the right balance of activity, relaxation, and fun. I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Escape Haven Bali? Share your experiences!