“Lovely Place to Stay for sure!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Amala

Save Saved
You added The Amala to your Saves list
The Amala
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Kunti 108 | Seminyak, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
SUPER PROMO 50% DISC
Ranked #20 of 94 hotels in Seminyak
Perth, Australia
“Lovely Place to Stay for sure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed at The Amala in January of 2013 for 7 nights, in the Pool Villa

We were greeted at the airport on time which is always a fantastic thing especially after a red hour flight - and I must say the taxi drive back to the hotel was definitely top class! Our taxi driver had bottles water for us and cooled small towels for us to utilise.

Once we arrived at the hotel entrance I was a little nervous because of the busy road outside the hotel, I was worried about the noise that we would get 24/7 HOWEVER once you entered the gorgeous driveway the noise was barely noticeable. Once at the hotel we were warmly greeted by all of the staff members and we were looked after very well. The welcome drinks upon arrival were gorgeous and just what we needed along with fresh towels.

After speaking to the wonderful Lisa the hotel manager she gave us a free upgrade from the Spa Villa to the Pool Villa which we were not expecting at all! She was saying that the hotel at the current time was not too busy (only twelve villas in total, and of the twelve only 3 were occupied) so she was happy to give us the free upgrade! Our butler also took us on a tour around the hotel so we knew out way around.

Room service was excellent and all the staff were happy to give us advice us on places to go and places to eat. The hotel staff were also happy to book us a proper bluebird taxi when requested. I myself had a little trouble communicating to the staff over the phone however, two of the people I spoke to in particular didn't understand what I was saying or trying to ask which got really frustrating for my partner and I, in the end we just went down to the main lobby and asked in person.

Breakfast every morning in the privacy of our villa was something that I absolutely loved however you can also have breakfast in the dining area. The freshly mixed juices you could select in the morning were to die for! The banana pancakes were nice however when I ordered them one morning they were raw. Since I work in the hospitality industry it really wasn't a huge deal for me, there are so many other things that could be worse than raw pancakes, none-the-less they were lovely to have each morning, even though I was not a fan of the pistachio marscapone. The menu is very well put together and there is honestly something on there for everyone!

The bathroom of the Pool Villa was absolutely gorgeous, seemed fit for a king! the only issue that I did have was that the toilet was not in a separate room or have a private door, the shower, sinks bath and toilet were all in the one space, this wasn't a huge hassle but just personal preference especially when one of us wasn't feeling the best and needed to do a number two.

The bedroom was very poorly decorated and was quite plain for me, however it was very spacious and the aircon was an absolute treat to come back to on a steaming hot day. The bed was very comfortable however it was one of those more modernised beds which are quite low to the ground.

The gardens around this beautiful hotel are well maintained which is something I really look for in a hotel. There was a wonderful lap pool in the main hotel area which we could use however we didn't since we had the pool vllla, which we loved.

This hotel is in a great location - close to a fresh bakery (located within bali deli), petrol station, massage places and the famous bali deli where we bought a lot of the food we consumed including snacks, fruits and drinks. There were so many restaurants around seminyak that we couldn't make it to all of the ones we had written on a list or had driven past.

Overall I am really impressed with this hotel and all the staff really do have something to be proud of. I would definately recommend this hotel to any couples in particular who are just wanting a break and a private time away.

Room Tip: Pool Room Villa - We stayed in room 8 however I am sure all the pool villa layouts are identical
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hannah,
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to write such an detailed feedback about your stay with us as THE AMALA. We are very happy to hear that your stay with us has met your high expectations and that we could contribute to your unforgettable stay in Bali.
We are hoping to welcome you back again in the future, and whenever we have the possibility we would be more than happy to upgrade your stay with us any time.
With best regards, yours sincerely
Madlen

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had a lovely experience staying at Amala. From the moment I was greeted at the Bali Airport to the time I was fare welled from the hotel, I felt nothing short of a VIP. Despite being next to a main road, ere was nothing but tranquility and calm. I was especially impressed with the spa services. I wouldn't bother looking outside the hotel for treatments, as I found the ladies here were very knowledgable. As for the room, I thought it was very comfortable and well appointed. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Claire,
Thank you very much for taking the time to evaluate our services. We are very happy to hear that you especially enjoyed our spa treatments. We are constantly trying to increase the quality of our spa treatments with frequent training sessions, and using organic high end body products only. We hope to welcome you back to the Amala, or any of our Lifestyle retreats properties in the near future.
Thank you very much and with best regards from the AMALA Team

yours sincerly
Madlen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I spent 2 heavenly nights at this hotel, 1st night in a stunning spa villa then to my delight was upgraded to an even more stunning pool villa on my 2nd night. I was there alone as I had to leave my friends on Gili T island because the appalling treatment & condition of the horses who work there transporting hotel guests upset me so much. The Amala is a real sanctuary. The Villas are beautiful and the whole complex is so tranquil. The service is impeccable and the food delicious. The staff are lovely and it's in a great location near great shops, restaurants and next door to Prahna spas. I can't wait to take someone back there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ajo, ,
Thank you for spending two nights with us at The AMALA, we are very happy that we had the possibility to upgrade your stay with us. Our pool villas are definitely a full on “lifestyle retreat” a relaxation for our senses. We really value the feedback of our customers and would like to thank you for your time to evaluate The AMALA .
The Amala Team and myself we truly hope to welcome you soon back again.
Yours sincerely
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I chose this place as a destination for my 9 days honeymoon.. I think Im so luck to choose this place .. it is a cultural experience by itself. the secluded rooms ( you don't hear anyone, and no one hears you ) , the ambiance, the landscape, the so-friendly staff.. it is just GREAT.. while visiting Bali's attractions is something everybody pay attention to, choosing the right hotel is another assignment .. staying in the Amala provided us with the perfect compliment to our honeymoon trip.

everything about this hotel is great: the privacy, the food, the friendly staff, the daily exotic fruit basket, you know what i mean when you go there :)

its a a very cool place .. my wife and I loved and would definitely recommend it to others, and would definitely stay there if we happen to go to Bali again.

Ryan & Lubna

Room Tip: spa villa or pool villa if you're couples ..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ryan,
First of all let me express our deepest gratitude for entrust us with your honeymoon. We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and valued our services.
To bring our guest closer to the local customs and Balinese tradition is definitely one of our important goals. Bali being so rich on cultural influences and tradition, on exotic food & Fruits – it can be overwhelming being the first time in Bali.
We truly hope that we will have the chance to see and your wife back at THE AMALA or one of our other Lifestyle retreats in Bali.
The Amala Team and myself thank you for the time spend on evaluating us
Yours sincerely
The AMALA Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

stayed June 2012, stayed in all 3 room types available

this is right in seminyak, but completely walled off from the hustle and bustle of the streets.

Really beautiful surroundings and very good service.Staff were friendly and helpful, very attentive without being intrusive.

arranged pickup from the airport and transfer to Ubud for us at a very reasonable rate

food was quite good

perfect to relax and unwind

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Diefee81,
First of all thank you for traveling with your family to Bali and using The AMALA as your Home away from Home. We are very happy that our competitive rates and prime location suited your travel ideas. We are constantly trying to improve our concierge services, and we are glad to hear that you and your families were satisfied with our services.
We truly hope that we can welcome you back to our Resort or any of our Lifestyle Resorts in Bali in the near future.
Our best regards to your family
Sincerely
Madlen & The Amala Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I spent 8 days at the Amala. From the airport pick up in a clean air conditioned vehicle, with cold towels and drinks, to the shower just before being taken to the airport at 8.00pm (even though we had checked out at 6.00pm), its hard to fault The Amala. We were greeted by the manager, Lisa, on our arrival and checked in promptly. If you are not into resorts and prefer villas, The Amala, is the place to go. We actually stayed in 2 villas as our original one had a fault with the hot water system. We were immediately assigned another villa.
The pool villas are spacious and comfortable. The bed room is enclosed and air conditioned. The bed’s comfortable. The dining / living area is under cover but open in a typical Balinese style. There are ceiling fans in this area. The pool is beautiful and has water feature which along with the manicured gardens gives the villas an air of tranquillity. The bathroom/ shower/ toilet are stylish and clean.
Meals can be had at the small restaurant, near the main pool and spa area, although we preferred to have breakfast and our other meals in our villa. The meals, especially breakfast are excellent. Breakfast was included in our tariff and the other meals are very reasonably priced. Every day you are introduced to a new tropical fruit along with its history and how to eat it. And for the not so healthy minded, the free biscotti are fantastic. Try stopping at one. `
Not being a fan of massages I was dragged along to our complimentary spa session by my wife. I’m a convert! It was probably the highlight of our stay. The entire experience lasted about an hour and half. On my way to the spa I was wondering how I could possibly endure it for an hour. I was genuinely disappointed when it finished.
The Amala is well positioned. It’s just off Sunset Road on Jalan Kunti. It’s walking distance to the main shopping area and across the road from the Bali Deli if you need a fix of western food. There are plenty of restaurants near by and if you want to go to the more up market eateries on Jalan Petitinget, such as Sarong, Sardine, Metis, etc, they’re all a 10 minute cab ride away.
Our Flight didn’t leave until 10.40 pm. We were given a late checkout (6.00pm). We went down the street for dinner and by the time we got back we were both hot and sweaty. We were offered a shower before being taken to the airport.
All our bookings to restaurants and rafting were done by our concierge (butler), efficiently and correctly. The staff couldn’t be more helpful or friendly.
If we are back in Bali, we’ll go back to the Amala.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Catapane,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our services in such detail. We are so pleased to hear that you and you wife have enjoyed your stay with us. Little details are so important and we are thrilled to see that you have enjoyed them to the outmost. Our Spa is definitely one of our most important parts of our Lifestyle retreat theme, and its rewarding to hear that we could change your opinion about massages with our treatments.
We hope that we will have soon the opportunity to welcome you back to the Amala.
Once again thank you for staying with us
Madlen & Your Amala Team
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We recently had two weeks in Bali. First week in seminyak and the second in uluwatu. We were booked to stay at amala for 6 nights but left after 3 and went to the legian instead. Amala was ok, but we wanted better than ok for our one holiday a year. Couldn't get a refund on the extra nights so it was an expensive mistake to book here in the first place. Don't mess around with second rate places like this in Bali. A little bit more money takes you from average to really special. The legian is still amazing after all this time, so much better than this.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SamR145,
First of all let me express how sorry we are to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay with us. To avoid misunderstanding with our valued customers we mention very clearly upon booking our cancelation policy, if it is in our powers we try to refund, but unfortunately this is not always possible. We value the feedback of our customers very much and constantly try to improve our services, and the attention to details. We are happy to hear after all you did enjoy your stay in Bali at the Beach hotel of your choice.

With best regards form Bali
Madlen & The Amala Team

Been to The Amala? Share your experiences!