“An amazing two weeks!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Seminyak
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oslo, Norway
“An amazing two weeks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Being an SPG Platinum member, I try to book SPG properties not only for business, but for vacations as well. Last year, we booked W Koh Samui, and this year we decided on W Bali.

After getting in touch with Byang (Director of Rooms) he helped me out in figuring out the best way to book what I wanted. We wanted to stay in a Villa, but they cannot be upgraded to as a part of the SPG program. However, he could upgrade us from a Wonderful Garden View to an Ocean Facing room, and then we could pay a small fee to upgrade from there to the Villa. Perfect!

As I had a combination of bonus points and nights with Hotels.com, Travellink, Splendia and SPG, as well as amending the reservation twice, booking nights with Cash and Points and with an additional night at the end due to a cancellation from Thai Airways and an extra night in the beginning as we decided to upgrade from Business to First Class with Thai from Paris, I think I ended up with 6 or 7 reservations. Byang sorted me out and made sure we got the same villa for the entire stay (11 nights).

So, after the Villa was confirmed, flights were booked, we also booked airport pickup and VIP airport service through W. I recommend everyone to do the same. The VIP service is fantastic. You are met at the gate on arrival, guided through fast track immigration and visa service, they help you with luggage and make sure there are no issues in customs. For us, this was fantastic, as it turned out our luggage did not arrive on the same plane, and these guys sorted out everything for us. Also, if you are unlucky and arrive at the same time as several other flights, you will have to wait several hours in line if you do not have VIP service. And as the price was USD 25 per person, the choice was simple.

So, after sorting out all the paper work with Thai, they escorted us to our driver in the arrival hall. They were all very apologetic that our luggage had not arrived, and the driver suggested we stop by a mall on the way to the hotel to pick up necessities. Fantastic service! I felt a little sorry for him, as he had to wait 40-45 minutes for us while we browsed through the shops.

So, after shopping, we arrived at W Bali. The driveway is really beautiful, with a bamboo tunnel stretching a few hundred meters. There are also some water features and lighting along the way, which makes arriving in the evening stunning.

We were met by the Whatever/Whenever manager and escorted to the Villa/SPG check-in. After expressing their concern about our luggage, and taking copies of the paperwork, they assured us that they would follow-up with Thai. The rest of the check-in process went smoothly, I selected breakfast as the Platinum amenity, and soon after we were in villa number 45. We also got a couple of gift bags with boxer shorts, bikinis, tshirts, toothpaste etc. A fantastic gesture.

The villa is just a few minutes walking from the reception area, which was great. Some of the villas are further away, and if you are not a fan of walking, then you will have to request a buggy whenever leaving the villa. I would suggest you request a villa closer to the hotel. The villa itself is appx 200 sq.m, is enclosed and has a private pool. It has a large Bliss stocked bathroom with a shower and bath, and a combined bedroom/living room with a kingsize W bed and a sofa + bean bag. Outside next to the pool is also a day bed. And on the patio, there were sun-beds and a table with chairs. The villa is also equipped with a nice Bose surround system and Samsung LCD screen inside, as well as speakers in the daybed outside.

The minibar is nicely stocked, there is a water boiler and a rather small selection of tee's and instant coffee. I did miss having a coffee machine, but seeing they had fantastic coffee in the W lounge, I would just go there. More on that later.

The morning after, we got a message from Whatever/Whenever that they had confirmed with Thai that our luggage was on they way, and that they would take care of everything. We went for breakfast, and as a Platinum and/or Villa guest, you can dine at both Fire and Starfish Bloo. Starfish has a better seaview, and I felt a better buffet, but we ended up dining at Fire more often. Mostly due to better and quicker service there. I didn't catch his name, but there was in particular one person there, a tall guy with glasses, who was just fantastic. He seemed to be a shift manager or something like that.

The breakfast is a combination of ala carte and buffet, where you can basically get whatever you want. Coffee is fantastic, their veggie juices are great, pancakes are yummy. They even have eggs and foie gras :) We spent many hours here during our stay, and enjoyed (mostly) every minute of it. I say mostly, as there were mornings were children were running around, and sometimes crying, which disrupted the breakfast a little bit. The "talent" would usually bring the children outside again, and back to their parents. W Koh Samui is a child free resort, which for us was fantastic. So, if you are on a couples trip, a villa is definitely the room to have, as the W Bali had a few of them running around, and especially around the pool area.

So, we tested Fire, W Lounge, Starfish Bloo and Woobar on many occasions. Food is great at all of them, and of course more expensive than outside, but this is a high end resort. If you want to eat outside, and you do not want to get a taxi, just get the shuttle to the front entrance. Biku, just close by is a great place for lunch and dinner. Sarong, also just around the corner was the highlight of our trip, with incredible food. Mama San, just a five minute taxi ride, also owned by the same people as the ones behind Sarong, is also great. Merah Putih, another fantastic restaurant. If you want awesome coffee, go to Revolver in Seminyak. A cozy side-alley coffee shop with great coffee and lunch.

Next to the breakfast, we never got tired of sunsets at Woobar. With live djs every evening, happy hour from Monday to Thursday, enjoying the fantastic Bali sunset to great music and with the waves crashing in the background in a daybed by the beach was just incredible. People recommended Potato Head and Ku De Ta, but Woobar is more intimate.

ICE is another fantastic place to enjoy the sunset. Even more intimate than Woobar, and more quiet, it is the perfect place to enjoy a cocktail prior to having dinner.

The AWAY Spa is very beautiful. My only regret is not spending more time there. Both prior to my treatment, but also after. Book way in advance, as it does tend to get full.

All-in-all, we had a fantastic two weeks at the W. They have a great product, and a fantastic team in place. I would especially like to thank:

Byang for helping us out with our bookings and making sure we got a great villa, and also for his going away gift to us.

Rika Chaachacha, the W insider for many good recommendations, for fantastic hospitality, for helping us out whenever we needed, and for all of her smiles.

The Whatever/Whenever manager (unfortunately forgot her name). She helped us out on many occations, but especially with our lost luggage.

And to Craig for putting the team together with made our stay truly fantastic.

But there are also areas which I felt could be improved. One was the presence of the chefs in the restaurants. We had lunches and dinners there on several occasions, but never saw any of the chefs. At W Koh Samui, the Food and Beverages manager would walk around every day and greet us. The same goes for the GM. I did meet him after emailing to thank for the service received when our luggage was lost, and he did catch up with us after that, and as well as when we checked out, but it would have been nice to see him around more.

Room Tip: If you are staying over a longer period, combine a room with sea view and a villa for privacy. Also...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hello thorhansan,

Thank you for your contructive feedback. It was an absolute pleasure hosting you for two week. I am happy that you round the time to enjoy all aspects of our retreat, from the culinary delights to relaxing moments at Away Spa. I will pass your kind comments back to our talent, they will be delighted that they assisted in making your holiday a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more Wow moments.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

After planning for six months our destination wedding in Bali at a different resort in Seminyak, we flew down two weekends ago for a food and wine tasting and on our second day at the resort where our wedding was supposed to be held, they informed us in the most awful and callous manner that they would be closing our venue for renovations and essentially we were now left with no venue!

Completely distraught and with only one more day left in Bali we were at a total loss of how to fix this as we have family and friends from 8 countries confirmed to come to our wedding in October.

Obviously we were irate with the hotel and staff and didn't feel comfortable staying there so, I got on the phone with The W and was connected to the fabulous Levin. He was calm and assured me they had a room and he could walk me through a wedding package with The W. In 30 minutes we were at The W and checking in, I hadn't slept and was so upset about what had happened the previous day I broke down in tears. The amazing staff was really kind and got me tissues and water and we met Levin who gave us a fabulous tour of the property and discussed our entire wedding and vision. Within an hour we secured the space for our date and I headed to the ultra-luxe Away Spa for two hours of relaxation after this insane weekend, which was amazing!

We had a gorgeous dinner at FIRE that night with friends and finally felt calm and very confident in our new wedding venue. The next day we had the fabulous Sunday Brunch at Starfish Bloo and Rina the event manager came over and we felt even more reassured about our venue choice.

I have been in constant contact with The W regarding our wedding plans and they have truly been phenomenal. We are loyal Starwood patrons and I can't think of a better place to host our family and friends in October for our 4-day wedding weekend! We are already looking forward to returning in a few months for a weekend away.

I can't recommend this hotel more and their rooms are stunning and modern while also honoring the Balinese tradition. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hello Joanna N,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are delighted to be hosting your wedding and making it a wow experience for yourself and your guests. I will pass your comments onto Rina and Levin, they will happy to hear that made your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back and setting the scene for your magical day.

Kingston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Despite a small hiccup at the beginning at check in, this week long break was nothing short of stunning. The staff were amazingly friendly, understood english well and were able to cater for our every need.

The room we had was an ocean view on the 4th floor with a skylight for the shower and bathing areas. Stunning. I suspect though that the 3rd floor may have had a little more difficulty capturing the wonderful view of the pool area and sea crashing around.

Where does one start. This is a contemporary hotel set in a culturally sensitive area and has tried to capture all of that. It is funky, cool and delightfully surprising at every corner. Everything starts with one word - Ouch for the clinic, Away for spa area, Welcome for the reception area and on it goes.

Our room was beautifully appointed. We had a problem with the HDMI connection and after reporting it, was fixed in minutes with an apology letter following. Quite spectacular. The room fittings and all of the accouterments were of a high standard and you literally could have arrived with nothing other than your clothes and you would have been fine.

The Woo Bar was very interesting. It catered for the younger set for sure but given the wide demographic I think they have it right. From the constantly colour changing "W" on the edge of the beach to the wide variety of the drinks - I would strongly suggest that you go for the jugs of cocktails - excellent value for money. (Dont think of driving after though - then again as an Aussie in Bali why would you want to do that anyway!)

The breakfast spreads for both the Starfish Bloo and Fire were so delightful and stunning it was difficult to choose what to have - everything you could every want for breakfast was there including the al a carte menu. The choice of Indonesian, Japanese and traditional breakfasts were all available and omelettes and the like made in front of you (including the French Toast!)

The W is set right on the beach away from the main road so there is a reliance on the shuttle buggies - a small inconvenience, however given this is the road to your home away from home, and the view you get coming and going up the bamboo sided road (looks like you are going down a tunnel) is a small price to pay.

We were treated to another special event which was a wedding which completed the ceremony and reception with a wonderful display of fireworks.

There were staff ("Talent") everywhere all with their James Bond walkie Talkies making sure that everything was done and that requests were processed promptly. The Pool guys were walking around handing out towels and offering to clean people's sunglasses! I mean really! They made a special effort to remember your name and it was not uncommon to find the same staff on for dinner as for breakfast the next day. They do work hard!

Again another example of the service. We left for the day on a tour. We left our DND button on by mistake. Accordingly, the room was not made up. We called down for some more water - an essential component - and next thing we had someone knocking on the door asking if they could make up our room at 7 pm in the evening! All those things that you just love to have happen.

Check out went smoothly too. Interesting language interpretation. We headed from W to Maya in Ubud (completely different style of resort!) and the lady at the check out says "You must be pi**ed off you are leaving. Very funny but no criticism at all - Aussies say that all the time and there is that underlying and constant willingness to assist and conform.

Overall a wonderful break. Hint: don't travel from Kuta to Seminyak when there is a festival or procession on! 90 mins! normally 25! Travelling from Seminyak to Kuta can be a pain as there is a lot of mad traffic. Should cost no more than about 50000IDR but dependent on the traffic. Always ask for the meter to be put on!

Thank you to the team at the W - we needed a break and we certainly got one with you guys.

Stuart

Room Tip: Ocean view for sure on the 4th floor lower down you will get the view of the restaurant roof and met...
Hello Squigley100,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found the time and enjoy and relax within the colourful playground of W bali. I will pass your comments back to our talent, they will be happy to hear that they assisted in making your stay a relaxing and memorable one.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for future wow moments!

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was the 3rd time visiting Bali for me and my wife. 1st time we visited Bali, we stayed at Banyan Tree in Ungasan. The problem with Banyan Tree or Bvlgari Hotel is that there is nothing else around the hotel and to go anywhere took us more than an hour in horrific traffic. My wife and I stayed at the W the second time with all the guests for my wedding. Even though the wedding was not at the W, we held parties there, and everyone enjoyed staying at the W.

For whoever is visiting Bali for the first time, here is my suggestion. Stay in Seminyak area because Seminyak is filled with great restaurants, bars, clubs, great locations to watch sunset, and etc. Within Seminyak, W is always my choice because not only it offers the quite tranquility in the pool villas, it also offers fun environments in woobars and lounges. Great staffs too.

Highly recommended.

Christian

Room Tip: I'll stay at the pool villa. W has the great main pool, but sometimes, you need to get tanned n...
Hello Christian L,

Thank you for your recent review. I am happy to hear that you chose to return to W Bali after your first W experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back for more wow moments within the colourful playground of W Retreat & Spa bali.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

At first we booked a 'Spectacular Ocean View' which unfortunately was at a lower floor with an obstructed view of the roof of Starfish Bloo restaurant downstairs. The rusty exposed metal and the cigarette butts on the roof disappointed us. We called the attention of the front desk and immediately they offered us a different room as well as suddenly, several men where up the roof picking up cigarette butts! Second room took so much time to be cleaned and after 1.5 hours, we had enough and after several phone calls, moved to the villa instead- thanks to the very attentive Director for Rooms. The villa was pretty awesome, with its own private pool. I ended up staying at the villa most of the time (room service rocked- I had a few signature martinis - the chili infused one was a personal favourite). The breakfast was at Starfish Bloo and had choices of eggs Benedict, NY steak, sushi, and for one of those extremely rare instances, I gave in to a very guilty seared foie gras. And I had it washed by some well-deserved glass of champagne. I just wished that there were more fans in the common areas as well as the dining - it was sooo hot and humid. We also tried the Woo Bar (cant get enough of those chili martinis) and Fire (the grilled prawns are just too die for).

Bali is such a cliche destination and we've put off coming here because it was way too popular so the only way for us to enjoy the island is to be as private as possible. We did that in Ubud and in Seminyak- only the villas of W measured up to our expectations. The beach was average, but the accommodations...Love love love love it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hello riain,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is helpful to gain such insight from our guests. Firstly, we do apologise for the Inconvenience caused during your check in process. I am happy that you enjoyed your villa experience and indluged on our selection of cocktails.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for more wow moments.

Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

This hotel is: outrageous, over the top, hip, an interior designed masterpiece. And we loved it.
From the monent you step into the foyer you are aware that this place is special. Certainly it is a luxury five star but I've stayed in five star hotels before that feel vulgar in their ostentation. This place is a masterpiece of classy over the top modern design. And it is well designed - for example there is no air conditioning in the central area as it is naturally ventillated. There is no dark wood Balinese aesthretic running through here it is all limed oak and pale colours with white mosaic style floors. Everywhere I wander I see beautifully designed and crafted funiture, fabrics and floor coverings. It must have cost millions to build.
The bedrooms are huge. Ours was the basic garden view furnished beatifully. The bathroom is in the centre of the suite and separated by glass walls. Press a button and a sun blind slides across the ceiling bathing the whole room in light.
We ate lunch in the Starfish restaurant - about $30 for three courses - excellent value. We also ate traditional food in the Fire restaurant one evening and this was the best food we ate in Bali over three weeks.
We came here having heard of the cool music vibe at the Woo Bar. Sure it has a fab view of the sunset but if the DJ is playing tunes that you feel are not to your liking then then you won;t like it. This was the case with us. Couldn't quite understand why we listened to heavy metal one night as the sun was going down followed by tech house - how strange.
The hotel is on the beach but you can't swim here as the current is too strong. Beachside the hotel is a big disappointment. It is a very hot one hour walk to civilisation (Seminyak beach) and what an awful walk - the beach is very heavily littered and the scenery is building sites and vacant land covered in debris - hardly uplifting.
Townside the hotel is about one mile from the village but you are provided a free shuttle twenty four hours which we used. The village is quieter than Seminyak with a good selection of shops and bars. Try the Deck on the left of entrance and just past Potato head. Potato Head is worth a visit - access it from the beach and book a table for food in peak periods. We went three times to this establishment as the music and vibe was better.
The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble. The hotel manager sat down with me one day and we had a long and very interesting discussion about music. So interesting to learn how a big hotel like this operates.And was so impressed that the manager made time for me and was generally interested.
Top tip : If you like staying in the best hotels but baulk at the price then do as we do: book the basic room and skip breakfast ( we needed a break from the breakfast feast anyway after two weeks elsewhere). If you do this, then I would rate this as the best value for money hotel that I have stayed in for a long time. After all, for about £50 less you can stay in a cramped room in a so - so hotel in Kuta or Seminyak. What's the better value?
Also try "Ku De ta" for drinks or food with good house music overlooking the beach in a sumptuous setting hanging out with the uber cool jet set
Overall, would not hesitate to recommend the W. Hotel. You must see it.

Room Tip: Higher the better above the tree canopy and as far as possible from Potato Head side (if you don'...
Hello windsorhouse2,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your W experience. I have already shared your comments with the rest of the W team as a reminder of what they do best. I’m delighted that you enjoyed our location and room design. W is a contemporary design lead lifestyle brand within individual unique property elements.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the colourful playground of W Bali for more wow moments soon.

Craig Seward
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed at the W Seminyak in January 2014. After going down a long driveway, the hotel is split into two sides with a gravel drive in between. The main part of the hotel is on the left (with lift access straight up to the rooms and stairs down to the restaurants and bar). The villa check-in and locations are on the right.

We chose to stay in 2 different rooms during our stay to get a feel for both. After checking in we were driven on a buggy to our One Bedroom Pool Villa. The villas are all set on a grid and are spaced out like little houses that have high wooden fences and a door. At first it seemed like it was too far from the hotel but after getting our bearings it was like our own little paradise within a big resort. We stayed during wet season so when it was raining we called the front desk and got the buggy to pick us up to either take us to reception or to the front of the hotel as the front of the hotel is quite far from reception (just make sure you tip them a little!).

The Villa was stunning and it feels like you're so far away from everything. Upon entering there is the pool, deck with table and chairs and a sitting area in the corner. Sliding doors open from the deck directly to the bed. There is a lounge area on the left and bathroom area on the right - archways separate this area rather than doors but you can't see in directly unless in the doorway. There are his & hers sinks and a huge open wardrobe. There are also swinging doors to the toilet and also the shower - probably a little awkward noise wise if you have Bali Belly haha! :)

After a few nights in the villa we moved to a Spectacular Ocean Facing Retreat in the main hotel. Upon entering the room there is an open bathroom area to the left. The door to the toilet is pretty much see through and the showering area is completely open also. Further along is the main part of the bedroom but you can't see into the bathroom when in this area. There is also a huge balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean - amazing!

We went to the Woo Bar one night next to the pool which has a fantastic little outside seating area. Potato Head Beach Club is just up the road which is another amazing Seminyak bar. We also visited the Fire restaurant for buffet breakfast which had a lovely selection although you pay for it! (Try and get it included).

All in all our stay at the W was incredible. The little finishing touches such as music playing when you enter the rooms as well as welcome cupcakes make it even better! I preferred the Villa over the Ocean Room as it feels like your own little home away from home but both experiences were amazing. Due to the open design of the hotel as well as the walking distance to and from the villas the hotel would be a much better experience during Bali's dry season (mid year) as we did find it a little quiet and gloomy during our January stay. Enjoy!

Ps. Instead of ordering the most expensive room service in the world (more than American/Australian prices) look up 'Hallo Restaurants'. This company in Bali will go to restaurants in the area (as many as you want in one delivery) and then bring the food to your door for the cost of the food + approx. $5 for the delivery fee.

Room Tip: The hotel is split into two. The ocean facing rooms such as the Spectacular Ocean Facing Retreat tha...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Callyn83,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your villa experience and all that is on offer within the retreat. I am very sorry to hear that our IRD offering did not meet your level of expectation, we do provide a wide range of selection to cover all price points and tastes for our guests.

We do look to welcoming you back to W Retreat & Spa Bali for more Wow moments!

Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!