“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 50%
Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Seminyak
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed for just over a week in September. I was travelling alone for the first time in a long while. I could not fault the W. From the moment I walked in to the moment I left the service was amazing, the food was of amazing quality or all the facilities were first rate. Companies can build first class hotels but it is the employees that make it and the employees ay the W Bali were first class. I will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello Collinjwc,

Thank you for shating your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay at W Bali and that you experienced the W service culture.

We do look forward to welcoming your back for more relaxing and indulgent times in the Retreat.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Good:
- Great service, every department works together to deliver the best experience for guests
- Nice & spacious room / villa
- 24 hours steam room
- Good breakfast @ fire
- Private pool in villa is really nice

The Bad:
- Very few choices on room service menu
- The long entrance make you don't really want to go out

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hi Rocky Z,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and enjoyed your W experience. Our IRD menu does offer a selection of options on offer and we do make sure that the menu is revised throughout the year. Buggys are provided to guests to take them from the entrance to welcome and visa versa.

We do look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband, our 20 month old son and I stopped in Bali for a few days during our 2 week long Asia vacation this year. We had a 9pm arrival and got to the hotel shortly after 11. From the street, it is very deceiving as there is a long passageway to get to the heart of the hotel.

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly and checked in quickly. Hiskey (I hope I spelled his name right!) whisked us off to our one bedroom villa on a golfcart, with our luggage in tow. He was friendly and personable (and unfortunately the only name I caught the whole time we were there because he mentioned that his name "was like Whiskey without the W!" which made an impression with me).

We stayed in Villa 43, which is actually close to the main "heart" of the hotel lobby area but by golfcart it seemed very far. The passageways are quite dark at night so probably a good idea not to walk; plus the cobblestone walkways seem a bit dangerous (although we loved how it added to the aesthetic of the property).

Our villa was simply amazing -- It looked exactly as pictured on the website. I had requested a crib which was placed in our room. I also requested mosquito coils for the outdoors, which was placed on the daybed. The decor and layout was perfect. Full sized Bliss products for you to keep, in addition to travel sized ones you could use (or keep!)

The staff here are SO warm and friendly and remembered your name. Besides Bora Bora, we have never felt so pampered in our lives! They even remembered my son's name.

The location was great as it was walkable to many of the recommended restaurants; I was also able to walk to BodyWorks for massages/facials. It seems quite treacherous to walk in Seminyak as there are broken/missing sidewalks so I wouldn't advise walking at night.

The hotel didn't give as favorable an exchange rate as the monEY EXchange/Western Union 5 minutes away (this one is actually reputable -- DON'T FALL FOR ANY MONEY EXCHANGE SCAMS!!!) so we usually just strolled over to exchange our USD. ATMs were not hard to come by and probably the preferred way to obtain IDR.

We had the buffet breakfast at Starfish Bloo and the selections blew my mind away - sashimi, fresh seafood, dim sum, American favorites, etc... it was a huge spread.

Since I'm SPG Gold, we had an offer of free drinks at the bar... and boy are their drinks STRONG!!!! I couldn't even finish mine as I'm a lightweight.

Can't say anything bad about this resort and we can NOT wait to come back again!!!

Room Tip: We had villa 43 and it was great.
Hello Aquila19,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic experience. I am happy that you enjoyed your villa experience and the culinary delights on offer at Starfish Bloo.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next trip to Asia.

Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the W Retreat and Spa Bali for a week in September in a 1-bedroom pool villa. I didn't have high expectations, but this place was amazing. The villa was very private (7 foot high walls no one could see in the yard). Indoor and outdoor bose speakers. Breakfast was included and was great. It's a bit far from downtown Seminyak, but the cabs are super cheap. The staff is also wonderful. From the second you pull into the entrace you really feel like you enter the "W" world. The Away spa is great too.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Austin1805,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear we exceeded your expectations and you found the time to enjoy AWAY SPA.

We look forward to welcoming you back for more indulgent moments poolside at W Bali.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I can't think of a single thing we didn't like about the W. The next time we vacation in Bali, we will definitely go back. We enjoyed the food at the onsite restaurants and drinks at the Woo bar. The location was perfect. The service was over-the-top amazing. We are vegan and they found wonderful restaurants for us to eat at every night we were in town! They also arranged for a driver to take us to one of the temples at sunset. We have no complaints. Wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello JonaandRayna,

Thank your for sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your W experience. It does sound like you found time to enjoy the culinary delights of Starfish bloo and the surrounding restaurants.

We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel is fantastic!

I'm a new convert of the SPG program and W Bali ranks highly among the members.

As such I was definitely thrilled to experience the service of the hotel.

The Good:
1) Service, everyone seems keen to assist if you happen to look lost
A very special Thank You to Mr Akhmad Fadholi (Director of Rooms) for welcoming us!

2) Rooms, very nicely furnished and big
3) Cleanliness of the entire hotel
4) AWAY Spa, great treatments!
5) View of the beach and sunsets
6) Food!
7) Staff speaks good English

The Not-so-good
1) Beach not suitable for swimming
2) Waves can be very loud at night
3) Hotel is a distance from the main road
4) Can be expensive
5) Non-Balinese (But it's a W!)

The Bad
1) Music can be very loud late into the night

For more details and many photos, please check out my blog at

Overall, I would still rate the property as excellent and look forward to returning soon!

Hello SgFred,

Thank you for constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the time to enjoy Away Spa and the culinary delights of our restaurants.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Bali soon for your next wow experience at W Bali.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Bali is a special place, and the W Bali is uniquely located with facilities that should make it one of Seminyak's premier destinations. However my brief experience (and seemingly the common experiences of other reviewers) suggests that the Hotel fails itself terribly on its service.

I am a regular business traveler. I am also a SPG member and someone who regularly vacations in Bali. During the past week I have been staying in a local villa with my wife and three young(ish) children. It has been an absolute delight.

On a recommendation our family went to the W Bali for lunch yesterday. We chose to eat at the Woobar. When we finally attracted the attention of staff interested to serve us, we ordered lunch. The first of our five dishes, a kids Bolognese, arrived in about 15 minutes. The other four dishes then progressively dribbled-out over the course of the next 45 minutes, with the last dish - a Cobb Salad - arriving 45 minutes after the Bolognese. Go figure. We had to ask about our order on a number of occasions and we were offered no explanation or apology. The staff was, at best, disinterested.

We then went to sit poolside. On first arrival we had agreed to pay Rp1050k (cUS$90) for five towels to have use of the pool. We were told we could use lounge chairs and bean bags, but not Cabanas. Fair enough. After lunch my wife and I sought to occupy two lounge chairs poolside (which was moderately busy, but not at all full) so that we could see our children in the pool. We were then told by the attendant that we could not use lounge chairs. We said at US$90 for a swim this was contradictory to what we had initially been told. Over the course of the next 15-20 minutes we had three attendants separately tackle us with three different attempts to argue or justify themselves - none of them at all plausible or credible. The whole experience was distasteful and amateur.

Come on guys - up your game. You are the only hospitality experience in Bali that I have come across where the staff exude such attitude and/or indifference. You charge a premium for what should be a premium offering, and you have real competition. For mine, I am very happy to return to the welcoming smiles and nothing-is-too-hard poolside of Potato Head.

Nick
Singapore

• Stayed October 2013
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hello NVABI,
Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at W Bali. As the W Bali is the Premium destination in Bali, the demand from outside guests to use the Pool facilities has been increasing and this brought discomfort to our in-house guests. Accordingly, we have stopped offering this service to outside guests until further notice.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We do hope you and your family will return to W Bali on your next holiday.

Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!