“Treated Like Royalty” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Seminyak
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Torquay, Australia
“Treated Like Royalty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the W Bali from 2nd March to 9th March 2013 and we could not have asked for anything more.
From the moment we arrived to the time we departed every aspect of our stay was extraordinary.
Both my husband and I have travelled extensively and I currently work in the Hospitality Industry but let me say I have never experienced anything like the W Bali.
I know that the W Bali is built in an amazing country in an amazing location but the W would be nothing without its amazing staff.
Add W Bali to your bucket list, you won’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room at the W Bali is amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hello Travelbuglett,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear you had such a fantastic time with us, as I would expect.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for another Wow experience at W Bali.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is amazing, beautiful pools, beautiful rooms and great location in seminyak.
The breakfast is delicious as is all the food in the restaurants. All staff go above and beyond. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012
Hello sushy_d,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your experience at W Bali. We do look forward to welcoming you back for more relaxing moments and indulgent culinary experiences.

Corner of Earth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We checked into W's villa in December 2012 as part of our wedding anniversary trip. We had a great trip up till then and was looking forward to some fun time in the pool with our daughter.

When we pulled up to the lobby, we can immediately see it's a modern and yet beautiful resort. Not knowing that there was a separate check-in area for villa guests, we went to the main check-in counter. We were attended promptly at this counter but the villa was not ready. We were asked to take a seat first and was served some cakes and stuff from the afternoon tea selection, with compliments. Even though we had to wait for the room, we were glad for this treat as it made the kiddo very happy indeed. The room was ready in about 20 minutes.

The pool in our villa was a nice size, as is the bale. The room could have been bigger in comparison with other villas, especially the bedroom area. A staff turned up with our complimentary welcome/anniversary drink - it's a DIY alcoholic cocktail for 2 and 2 sticks of candies as stirrers. That night, instead of rose petals it was pretty plastic hearts on our bed.

One thing that stood out in W is the thought behind the amenities. It's possibly the best stocked I've come across. Bath amenities in big sizes, mozzie repellent with natural ingredients, beach bag and towels in the room, sun block for safe time in the sun, pool and beach toys for the kids etc. And I managed to catch one of their staff giving free moisture sprays at the pool.

Everything was going great. The breakfast at Starfish Bloo is good (yummy steak and good beverage selection) and though we were given the option of dining at Fire, we decided to stick to Starfish Bloo. The staff were very accommodating to allow my daughter to select a cup from Fire to use at the other restaurant.

There were small problems such as water dripping down the toilet wall and a millipede in the bathroom. But we were still ok with it. Staff were friendly and efficient though not Balinese charming.

Everything was lovely, 5 star deserving and we were planning a return trip while there, until... the night before our check-out. We ordered pizza delivery from Kuta for dinner after a tiring day. The pizza did not take long. Reception staff informed us that it was here and asked if we needed plates for it. Nice. We don't really need the plates but would be nice. However it took really long for the pizza and plates to arrive to our villa. In fact so long it became a little cold and hard (we had ordered from the same store before and not had a problem).

Anyway, things turned downhill from there. The aircon broke down in the middle of the night and started making loud sounds. We couldn't sleep at all. Some unfortunate events took place until we had to use another villa to sleep for the night and because of some light scampering sounds on the roof of the second villa I had a hard time falling asleep. By then it's probably 4 am and we needed to check out early in the morning. But the worst thing has yet to come. A staff blunder that should never have happened unfortunately happened to me. It was an embarrassing event and the last straw to this turn of events.

We made our unhappiness known and I have to say Ilmi of W is sincere in wanting to do better and hopefully the things that happened will not suffice again. I value the sincerity to do better.

If our stay stopped before dinner time of our last night in W, it would certainly get 5 star rating from me. I will return and hopefully will be able to give it a 5 the next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hello NANAnana,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

We certainly value our return customers and your opinion is very important to us, I am disappointed to hear that a few items runied your time with us. I will revert back to my talent to discuss these items and prevent further issues.

We will ensure that we review our policy and keep our house guests as top priority in future.

We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had made this reservation as part of my Honeymoon. After doing some extensive research, we zeroed in on W Bali. I was apprehensive before arriving to the hotel as I have been deceived in the past with online reviews and photos etc. This said, W Bali was an exception and I can now say that I am glad I made this choice.

To start with, such a grand property with one of the best architecture of a hotel that I have come across. The location is jaw dropping; the hotel is just next to the ocean making it all look so beautiful. The lobby is extravagant, great colour combination, bright and airy. The receptionists there do not have desks phones as the idea is to pay full attention the guests stead at the reception.

I had booked a ocean facing room for my honeymoon and the Hotel had arranged complimentary martini on arrival together with lip shared cushions - Superb. The toiletries were great though I wish the water pressure in the shower was better. The room was neat, clean and opened up to a balcony which overlooked the ocean - Do I need to say more.

Moving on to the restaurants, Woo bar was my personal favourite and they arranged a complimentary cake for me when I visited them first with my wife as they knew I was there on my honeymoon. Fire had great breakfast each day though lacked vegetarian options. W Lounge was cosy and comfortable and I enjoyed good conversations and drinks there. ICE Bar had some of the best staff there. Dino in particular was great in building rapport with customers.

This said, if there is one thing which goes beyond everything that I wrote above - is the great team that the W Bali has got. They call them ''Talent'' and rightly so. One of the best hotel staff that I have come across. Always smiling, polite, working towards genuinely exceeding customer expectations and just right fits for the job. Their service made our stay at the W so much more memorable.

I recommend this place to all, if you are in Bali then don't think of an alternate hotel. It's slightly more expensive but once you stay there you realise why. Be ready to get pampered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello SinghDJ,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read your feedback. I am glad you experienced the wow factor and our whatever/whenever service culture. We do believe that our talent are our brand and I am happy to see that you experienced this first hand.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali soon.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Haven't actually left yet but as I am relaxing by the pool in the villa, what better time to right up my review. Travelled with our 2 daughters, 1+ and almost 3 yrs old. Was in two minds as sometimes higher end resorts are not great places to bring young kids but we needn't have worried, seems to be a great place for everyone from families to couples and honeymooners.

The service is close to perfect. Always with a genuine friendly smile. Going down stairs with a pram and someone will leap out of nowhere to assist. Kid drops something on the floor during meal times and it will be picked up straight away. Call or a buggy and wait much more than 5 mins (rare) and someone will call to apologize for the delay. The staff are great with children, they will come up and great them, talk to them, give them toys to keep them occupied during meals and give papa a chance to finish his coffee. My daughter on the way back to the villa mentioned she likes dolphins and within a couple of minutes had a couple of stuffed toys in her arms.

On to the Whatever & Whenever service. We normally bring sterilizing tablets for the baby utensils but need a large container to do it in. So called up to see if they had one. Instead, a few minutes later someone arrived with a steamer sterilizer. Our older daughter likes to go to the loo by herself but needs one of those toilet seat adjustments, which I told my wife I doubted they would have. Wrong, they did. My wife forgot to bring sanitary pads and was about to make a trip into town but I thought it would make a good test of the service, of course, within a few minutes she had them in hand. Apparently most things from diapers, baby milk to life's essential items, they will have. Kind of feel like I haven't really tested the service out to the fullest yet. Frankly, was tempted to give 'value' a 5 rating as well, stayed at a few hotels that cost the same, where the service hasn't been as good.

The resort itself is in tip top condition and the cleaning staff do a very good job both inside and outside. We stayed in one bedroom villa for 4 nights and an ocean facing room for one. Tough call, the villas are obviously private havens of tranquility, unless your kids a running riot, in which case you don't have to worry about disturbing anyone else. But it is amazing waking up to the view of the ocean. Frankly, I think it's a good idea to split a stay and stay in both. The resorts pool is very cool, makes a change from the usual rectangular hangout and looks great. There's wi-fi throughout the resort.

Some of the things I would point out, you can't swim in the sea by the resort, the currents are too strong, so if that is a major thing for you then be aware of that. Happy enough looking and walking by the sea so doesn't other us. Would be nice to have ramp access down to the lower levels where the restaurant and pool are so that you could push a pram down. I presume there must be a lift somewhere for wheelchair access. The breakfast menu is more than satisfactory, though isn't the best I've ever had for a resort of this class and may be a it repetitive. Similar the dinner menu is slightly limited. But no complaints, the meals we had both for room service and in the restaurants were enjoyable.

That's about it. Will definitely be back, need to return without the kids and one of the ocean facing suites or 3 bedroom villa with some friends would be awesome too.

• Stayed April 2013
Hello aka.seth,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It does sound like you found the time to experience the resort and enjoy our whatever/whenever service culture.

We do look forward to welcoming you back for another Wow experience.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were in the 'W' in Bali for one night only. The property has beautiful aspects and will be described as hip, possibly happening, by some. The service is good. Friendly on arrival and we had a room on the 2nd floor, if I'm not mistaken. The view from the room was not pretty, to put it mildly. The balcony was good, for me as a smoker, but the view does not present anything one would associate with the beauty of Bali.... The room was comfortable and nicely designed, with a spacious bathroom. Unfortunately the rain shower, was more like a European drizzle than a tropical shower. The Spa was beautiful and different, which is an achievement in design. Unfortunately the massage was a mediocre affair, which did not leave much to remember. The food, served for breakfast was good... Nothing better than that.

To me that is a problem with this particular property. A lot of the amenities are just good. Now, it is possible that the 'W' is targeting a different age group, younger than us. That age group would still have to come with a significant amount of money, because the prices at the 'W' are definitely a step above the rest. In addition I would recommend that group to go to 'Club Med' instead, because it is more genuine fun and this is merely an over-prized variation to that.

For us this was disappointing and not worth a repeat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello gerarddekker,

Many thanks for your Trip Advisor review as it’s always good to get a balanced view point from guests who have stayed and tried the W experience, so please allow me this opportunity to respond.

So sorry that you did not enjoy your W Bali experience the way we hoped you would, but we are a very different type of hotel to others here in Bali. The Hotel has so many Balinese aspects within the property, and the designers spend a lot of time incorporating the Hindu culture throughout the Retreat, for which we have received many accolades to date.

There is no dout that there are hotel all over Bali that offer a very different price point to that of the W Retreat and Spa , but again we do offer a very different experience but also appreciate that there are customers who enjoy what we offer. We believe that all the choices available are what makes our location popular and allows guests to pick and choose the experience they want to have.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We took the kids (2 and 6) to Bali and stayed at the W in Seminyak based upon our experience of the W Hotel in Union Square in Manhattan in 2003. Our experience here far out classed our W experience in Manhattan, except for 2 details. Service was excellent. The size of the rooms and comfort was unsurpassed. We booked into a Garden View Room which had two queen sized beds and we were provided with a baby cot, as requested. The bedding and comfort of the beds were delightful. We arrived exhausted and our two bicycle boxes were stored safely away for us as we were planning to bicycle around Pemuteran in the northwest of Bali after 1 night stay at the W. We had everything we needed for one night. We enjoyed the enormous pool with the kids and had a delicious breakfast and lunch at Fire and Starfish Bloo. The bathroom layout was fantastic with a retractable skylight, rainshower and giant bath. We wished we could stay longer.
We spoke with Rika upon our departure who found out that our children's birthdays were on the same day (18 April) and she encouraged us to stay at the W again on our return to Seminyak en route to Denpasar and to Sydney, home again.
I booked a Garden View room again for two nights, after our week in Pemuteran, as we would be departing at 8pm for an 11pm flight. Upon our arrival, I requested an upgrade to a villa. My request was accepted and we were given a very good rate for the two nights. There was a delay in moving from the Garden View Room to the Villa of about 4 hours. I was unsure if it would be worth it paying the extra $150 per night, after such a long delay but my worries were soon unfounded. However, with the service we received in the Garden View Room was excellent yet again, as my son had developed a high fever, but we had a doctor come to us in 10 minutes time after calling the hotel clinic.
The Villa was beautiful. Again, everything we needed was provided for including those magical retractable blinds, lots of privacy with our own splash and swimming pools, a beautiful king sized bed, the sofa bed made for our daughter and a cot for our little boy. But most importantly, our two children enjoyed the effort that Rika and her colleague Nico made for them for their birthdays with two presents each along with balloons and a birthday cake. Also on the spur of the moment I requested a babysitter so that my husband and I could spend a little time together having a relaxed drink and dinner. Annie showed up and looked after our children so well. We were very comfortable with her approach with our children. We should have all had dinner at the Fire restaurant together as the staff there had been alerted to our children's birthdays and had presents waiting. They gave them to the children the next day which was incredibly thoughtful.
We had drinks at the Woo Bar where there was excellent DJ music and the vibe was very cool.
Dinner was at the Starfish Bloo restaurant where we enjoyed the 5 course degustation menu enormously. I had a moment when I felt a little old as I realised there were a pair of reading glasses in each of the buckets at the restaurant in addition to reading lights and mosquito repellent. They were very helpful for my husband to read the menu. I think this epitomises the elegance of this hotel and the amazing forethought that has gone into the planning of this W and their wherever, whenever approach.
The next day it rained but we enjoyed the space in the Villa and the kids had a chance to enjoy their new birthday toys - a Barbie for my daughter and a toy car for my son in addition to W t-shirts. We had lunch at Fire outside after the rain stopped and we went for a swim at the beach. We had been enjoying Indonesian cuisine very much but a change was refreshing - delicious salads and soups along with a sensible kids menu that included grilled fish and french fries as opposed to fried fish and chips. We went back for a swim at the villa while our son had his afternoon sleep. The villa daybed around the corner of the pool was also included a mosquito coil which I lit so that my husband and I could relax and enjoy reading for a while while the kids both had a rest. Dinner at the villa to make packing easier and final transit to the airport was a breeze with our two large bicycle boxes. Also, I ran out of nappies for the last few days of the trip which the W also had on hand. The only thing that went awry was that our bicycle babyseat went missing. We had it when we checked in but it was not delivered to us from storage where the bikes were kept. We were sad about this loss as our daughter grew up in this babyseat but if that was the one thing that went wrong on this trip, so be it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello Immtraveler,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a fantastic stay with us and that your children enjoyed themselves.

I will revert back to our rooms division regarding the loss of your babysit, should it be found we will reach out to you directly.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!