“Modern with a great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

Save Saved
You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #14 of 89 hotels in Seminyak
Sydney, Australia
“Modern with a great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

A vibrant, upbeat modern hotel. But still had a fantastic chilled out and relaxed feel about it. The pool area is great and has so many different areas to explore and chill out. So many styles of chairs and beds along the water and near the beach to try out. A great relaxing holiday feel. It's not the traditional Bali-feel if that is what you are after.

Service was really good. And the room was great - very spacious and nice balcony.
The bathroom was huge - it took up half the room (but this didn't take away from the big bedroom area). The bathroom walls were all glass, so this made it interesting whilst travelling with a friend. You can close off part of it with a sliding wall, but the side curtains were mostly see through.

The little amenities that came with the room were really nice too.
And the breakfast had great variety - part of it is buffet. And the other part was a la carte.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, but the oceanview was a real treat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Hello the_ange23,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The design narrative at W Bali is extremely unique and it's nice the hear you enjoyed this.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again.

1,476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed at the W between 28th December 2012 - January 3rd 2013. We choose one of the 1 bedroom villas. The stay was very enjoyable. The hotel is uber shmick with interiors that are all about vibrancy, elegance and textural diversity. Every nook and cranny is a joy. The artwork, lighting and the furniture is not only functional but fun.

The place is alive with people from all over the world. The general feel is "young" meaning it is really appealing to upwardly mobiles from there 20s to late 30's. The music scene is outstanding and the aray of DJ's from all ends of the globe is impressive. If you want to party in amazing surroundings and dont mind paying a litte extra for cocktails this is the place for you.

The Villa was comfortable and functional. I wouldnt say it blew my mind when compared to the rest of the hotel and the standards of decor. But interestingly the air con was so loud we had to turn it off at night - very surprising for such a new hotel.

The only down side was the length of the driveway and the uneven stone surface that its constructed from. Not a massive deal because concierge will drop you off at the entrance in a golf buggy. However as a female that likes wearing a heel at night its precarious.

Finally the staff are deligtful but sadly ineffective. They smile and nodd and ultimately either dont understand what you are asking or just ignore your request. On more than one occasion at breakfast we had to ask twice how long the fried eggs would be when we had been waiting 30 minutes. However it was Xmas time and it was busy. Just dont expect too much in the way of service.

Enjoy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Pominsydney,

Many thanks for your constructive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and were able to absorb the design narrative of W Bali.

We do pride ourselves on our service culutre and I am disappointed to hear you didn't receive the standard that I would expect. I will feed this back to our team and it will be worked on.

We do look forward to welcoming you back.

Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hotel is great, location, design, room all nice. Now come the BUT: check in was slow and especially bothersome are the tired faces at check in. We were lucky after standing for quite some time at the line and basocally ignored... Came the manager who personally checked us in and offered drinks. What a save by the manager. Hotel not recommended for kids

• Stayed February 2013
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello Jimmyprosper,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W Bali. It does disappoint me to hear of the service you received during check in. I would expect more and shall revert back to me team. I am glad that our Welcome desk manager was able to recover the experience to meet your expectations.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had a wonderful experince at W hotel. Ocean facing room, lovely decor comfortable and spacious with a beautiful view and 6 perfect sunsets. The service by all staff was exemplary but special thanks must also go to Ari Naryana at the Woobar, Dino the insider and Tom at Fire, who personalised our experience and made it extra special. We set out on holidays to relax and enjoy our time together and W delivered exactly what we had hoped for.Thank you and look forward to returning.

Hello Sarah g,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at W Bali and our talent brought a daily smile to your face during such a special occassion.

I will extend your kind words onto our talent.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another W experience.

Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I arrived at this hotel at 11:00 am to wonderful, helpful and friendly staff. The foya was a typical open area balanese style with western decor. I was immediately taken to my room as it was available, we hired a Villa with our own pool. It was fantastic!

The room decor was superb, greens and creams. The bed was comfortable with wonderfully comfortable pillows. The bedroom overlooked our pool and courtyard area magnificently kept. The bathroom had a huge two person bath, you have to bring nothing, body butter, toothbrush, makeup remover and eye makeup remover, all supplied, as well as the usual shampoo and conditioner.

Imagine, swimming in your totally private pool late at night with frangipani flowers dropping in the pool around you - it does not get anymore romatic.

The spa was beautiful, and perhaps one of the best massages I have ever experienced. The restaurants were interesting and the decor inspiring. I had dinner one night at the bar while watching the sun set, I ordered a green mando salad and questioned if it would be large enough - the waiter told me not to worry, and out came a pizza to bulk up the salad, on the house. This is just one example of the quality of service you get here. The egg bar at breakfast was the best I have ever been too, and the amazingly fast, the eggs were waiting for me by the time I did the rounds of the buffet.

On my birthday - not told to anyone - a cake arrived at my Villa attached with balloons and staff singing Happy Birthday! Ilmay, (please excuse the spelling) the deliverer of the cake always greated me and would drop me "wherever and whatever" I wanted to go or do. This hotel goes to any extent to make your trip special.

I have stayed in luxury hotels before but this hotel takes excellence to another level. I thank all the staff from the gardener who dropped my husband at the villa because he became hopelessly lost, to DK the buggy guy who always had a smile and a greeting. This hotel is superbly run and a credit to the W Hotel group. I cannot image staying anywhere else.

Hello Marlzi,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's with great delight I read your comments. It does sound like you managed to enjoy the W experiences and the restaurants and venues at W Bali.

I will pass your comments back to our talent who will be happy to hear they assisted in making your stay with us a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked to stay at the W Bali over the Xmas period and having booked one of their Extreme Wow Three Bedroom villas, we were hopeful of a decent level of accommodation and service. Our points of reference are generally Asian Four Seasons and Aman resorts. We were 4 adults (in their early 40s and 60s) plus two children of 2 & 5.
On arrival from HK, the hotel had arranged express pass-through at Denpasar (at my request and $25 per head) and I highly recommend this as the weekend before Xmas it was very busy. With kids coming off a flight of any distance being rushed through the crowds was a Godsend. Car waiting it took about an hour through the heavy traffic to the resort.
After about a 10min wait to check in, we were on our way by buggy to the villa. We knew the layout before arriving and it all looked pretty much as expected except that the living area, an open plan tv, sofa, dining area with attached kitchen was much larger than we expected. There is also a kitchen behind the master bedroom.
I think first impressions are Wow but it was not long before the niggles became apparent.
First, when we were briefly shown around the villa we all asked if the aircon was normally that loud - which was clearly a question others had asked. Friends in another villa confirmed they had also asked. So prepare yourselves. The best I can describe it is that even at the lowest setting, it is a bit like being on an aeroplane. For those who prefer a quiet sleep, this is not the place for you or else bring your earplugs. The extensive use of glass ceilings in the master bedroom means that the aircon needs to be on full to make any impact.
By the following morning, I'd asked to see the resort director of residential services ("DORS " who had greeted us at our villa when we arrived) to go through a number of issues: the lighting outside was just too dark at night ("it's supposed to be romantic") but the fact that many of the light switches did not seem to do anything and that the lights in each of the bedrooms seemed impossible to work out with some switches not working or working intermittently, it's clear the problem is more widespread. The issue with the electrics was then most shockingly borne out when in one of the jacuzzi areas of the main resort pool I found something under my foot. You can imagine my horror to reach down to find an 18" length of electrical cable with two bare wires poking out the end! The other end disappeared into the floor if the pool in an area surrounded by small lights embedded in the floor between air outlets. I am no electrician but you don't need to be to know that live or not, that is just plain wrong. I reported it to one of the pool staff who promptly told me it was nothing to worry about as we then watched troops of pool staff subtly try to inspect the wire over the next hour or so. I am in the pool with my children and of course I am concerned for their safety. The following day, in the jacuzzi area next to the one with the bare wire I found a whole light fitting dislodged along with wiring trailing behind it but, I hate to say it, by now I was getting somewhat blasé about some of the finishing issues around the resort.
So anyway, following my meeting with the DORS, within moments she had arranged to have the various lighting issues fixed, the clearly dirty sink areas in one of the rooms cleaned, etc and had people in the villa for the next few hours. The result was pretty much that they did all they could but really not much of an improvement. The dark pool area was clearly not going to get better as we watched one of the workmen take one of the lights out if the pool deck area and on seeing the connecting wires bare but clearly not connected to anything, he taped up the bare ends and put the light back into the hole from which it came. Last time i checked, unless a light is connected to power, it will not work.
The pool itself while of a decent size had a very visible dusty sediment at the bottom. Which created clouds on the bottom as you walked across it. It had clearly not been vacuumed and together with the green fungus growing on the sides around the water line there is clearly a lack of quality maintenance here too.
Other gripes include room service always saying they will get the food to you within 30mins but only on the last day did they come close at nearer 40mins but it was consistently 45 mins or more. And when it did arrive, it was a bit if a comedy if there had been any thought about the number of plates glasses etc. so side plates and butter might come but no bread or water for four but only two glasses. And in the case of a couple if pizzas we ordered ( on separate occasions) neither would leave most professional kitchens as they were too burnt. Of course we wanted to return them but when it's for kids and they've already waited 45mins, a hasty trim around the edge seemed the most practical thing to do. Service is generally pretty slow at the outlets too with the one exception being (surprisingly) at the bar (woo bar ) where food was quite quick to come out.
We'd read a lot about the food before arriving and it was set up to be fantastic but I think we all agreed it was ok but nothing special. We were there over Xmas and there were a lot of flies and I mean a lot. Maybe it was wind direction but eating at Starfish Bloo always involved a good amount of a waiving just to try to keep them at bay with little success.
The resort did claim to have kids activities but these were a bit of a joke. Archery on the beach at 1pm in Bali? Waaaay to hot. And the bubble activity for our 2 yr old didn't happen on time (10am) because they were "preparing". At 10.15, one of the staff comes out with a bottle of bubble mix, 3 plastic bowls and 3 bubble wands like you would get if you bought it at a corner shop and hands it to us. That's it. No organisation required. Pathetic. Other drawing and colouring events were similarly disappointing. Thank goodness for the pool which, despite its electrical hazards, the children loved.
Anyway, after about Wednesday of our Saturday to Saturday stay, we were kind of resigned to the situation and managed to accept it for what it was: a different type of holiday for us and one which was falling short of our usual expectations and therefore an experience not to be repeated.
Then on Friday, I ran into the DORS from day two who asked if everything was all ironed out and I told her I appreciated she did her best but that clearly there were some more significant issues around the finishing and snagging at the property which two years on anyone would have expected to be well ironed out. The lighting situation had been partially addressed but not entirely and as time had passed we had become more aware of other shortcomings like the state of the pool, the lack of restocking of the minibar, the pace of room service and clean up thereafter ( one time they just didn't show up). At this point the resort manager appears to give his apologies for the situation and I tell him we are happy just to get on with the rest of our holiday - we really just didn't want to be disturbed. But that wasn't clear enough. About 30 mins later, my parents in law appear looking for us because another group of maintenance and cleaning staff had descended upon the villa again, disturbing their time at the villa. This really was not fair and a good example of management just not listening. By the time we returned a couple of hours later, there was a pool cleaner packing up but we still had to tell an electrician to leave so we could get the children ready for bed. The following morning, despite our DND sign being on so we could pack before leaving after lunch, as we left for breakfast, the maintenance staff were there trying to get in again! Very annoying and frankly a week too late.
One thing I forgot to mention was that for some reason, the resort chose this week to renovate a temple in a square around which the largest villas are located. Coming from HK where we are consistently surrounded by construction, we were really looking forward to the peace and tranquility of Bali. Alas, most of the days we were there, there was drilling and stone cutting happening just outside our villa. :-(.
So, in short, we won't be going back and although I got an apologetic email from the manager not long after we left with an offer of some compensation in the form of points on my account, I don't feel so obliged to accept them. We paid for a W experience and it just fell well short of what we expected on so many counts. I want to say it's a 2.5 but a 3 seems too generous so it gets a 2. All that said, the staff were all very friendly as the Balinese are and it remains a wonderful island to visit, I'd just choose somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello AsianTravelJedi,

Thank you for your sharing your constructive feedback.

I am sorry for the issues which you experienced with the lighting and blinds in your room. This has since been investigated and resolved by the Engineering department and I apologise for any inconvenience which I understand was very frustrating.

I would like to further discuss the problems you encountered with us so please do reach out to me directly - craig.seaward@whotels.com

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My partner & I had an Awesome time..
The design of W is v.Trendy.. View from our room on top floor was just Stunning {watching the Sunset/Sunrise} - comfortable - tranquil setting... Woo Bar was relaxing, {champ/strawberry cocktail was v.nice} - funky - laid back.. Food was Superb@StarFishBloo, french.australian. asian cuisine - semi private table setting was very romantic - open ocean view - kapai to our waiters... Well Done W

Hello Karen M,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's great to hear that you had an awesome stay with us. I am glad you took the chance to enjoy the W cocktail culture and the beats of Woobar.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another W experience.

Warm wishes,

Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!