“The must have W-Experience: Taking luxury and service to another level!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 115 Hotels in Seminyak
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“The must have W-Experience: Taking luxury and service to another level!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We truly had an amazing W Experience! From the moment we were picked up from the airport we
experienced an outstanding level of service and attentiveness from the hotel staff. We have been to Seminyak, Bali on two other occasions and have stayed at reputable resorts, however this place takes it to another level.

My husband and I stayed in the 1 Bedroom Private Pool Villa for 4 nights in mid December 2012. Although it was further away from the main hotel complex, it was very tranquil and the size of the villa was a massive 225sqm. Taking a 5 minute stroll or calling for the hotel buggy was never an issue for us. However if you have small children, it might be difficult to walk back and forth to the main pool. The indoor and outdoor Bose sound system allowed us to laze around the private pool to our own music and to the W Hotel soundtrack - it was such a nice touch. Having the private pool was really an added luxury as we were blown away by the main lagoon/infinity pool that features right in front of the ocean. Hotel guests are able to order from the main restaurant by the pool - I suggest the pork spare ribs and foie gras burgers by the pool :)

The daily breakfast at Starfish Bloo was always a highlight in our day (international buffet and unlimited a la carte menu). The assistant manager Agus made us feel so special and always went above and beyond everyday to provide an outstanding service. Our expectations were always exceeded - what a great way to start the mornings! Favourite menu items - unlimited pre-cut on order mangosteens, foie gras on toast with a fried egg, prawn mascarpone scrambled eggs, lobster claw singaporean noodles, mango yakult smoothie and coffee frappes. If you book on Wotif, the breakfast should be included. (This breakfast is normally $50USD pp).

The gym and workout area is beautifully designed with a purple glow. Very encouraging whilst on holidays! It is air-conditioned very well despite the humidity outside and there is free flowing bottled water in the fridge, free fruit, clean towels, cooling sprays, toiletries...everything! The hotel has thought of everything!

There is so much more positive things to say about this place, we really enjoyed our experience and look forward to coming back! In our opinion, it is truly value for money. We miss you Agus ;)

Room Tip: Private villa for couples wanting a private tranquil experience, request a room closer to the main h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Hello Hashemi99,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your time at W Bali.

I really am delighted to hear that you experienced the W factor and were overwhelmed by our service culture, as I would expect from our talent.

I will pass your comments back to our talent, it will bring great delight to the team to hear that they delivered the wow factor to your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Paradise again soon.

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroomed villa over Christmas and new year which we booked last minute as our original accommodation in Seminyak was not as anticipated. We couldn't have chosen better after our disappointing start. The hotel has excellent service and facilities, rooms are well designed and the hotel grounds are beautiful. The Starfish Bloo restaurant is a must and a special thanks to Agus for making the experience even more special and enjoyable. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff.

I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return very soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Bev0210,

Thank you for your feedback on your festive stay with us.

I am happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and turn your holiday around.

I will pass your comments onto our team, they will be delighted to hear that they assisted in giving you a memorable holiday experience.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The W Hotel is a definite Wow for Seminyak!
I know that all of us can get a bit obsessed with these reviews! - have a think about what sort of traveller is writing it and what you're looking for our of your holiday.
We travelled with one 3yr old child and are travellers that prefer 5 star hotels.

ROOM CHOICE: We stayed at the W for 6 nights over New Year's Eve in an Ocean Facing room - definitely worth the extra rather than and "ocean glimpse" room. I also checked out a 1 bedroom Villa and the truth is that unless you're enjoying a bonk-a-thon, the distance and remoteness from the main action makes an ocean facing room the better choice! Good air-conditioning, amenities, cleanliness and very comfy mattress. We had a king-sized bed and my 3 year old had a mattress overlaid over the couch & ottoman. Upon check-in we were told that this would be an extra charge of $40USD per night - we thought this was unfair for a 3yr old, especially when she was on our booking before we arrived and questioned this after waiting too long for our room.

POOL: It's has a very hip and cool vibe with a gorgeous pool shaped like a lagoon. It's more for swanning around than for laps. The Pool staff are excellent setting you up with a chair / umbrella as soon as you head out there. Fantastic cocktails!

BREAKFAST: The Villas enjoy a buffet breakfast in the Starfish Bloo Restaurant and the Rooms enjoy the Fire Restaurant. The choices in the buffet in both are excellent and there's also an a la carte menu! Another reviewer mentioned that no water was served at breakfast - seriously, if you asked it would be brought to you immediately... Service was very good - with my 3 yr old daughter getting special mugs, plates and attention every day.

BEACH: It's a grey sandy beach but there was quite a bit of rubbish washing up on it with strong waves and current so didn't swim in it.

RESTAURANTS: We ate at Starfish Bloo (chef is ex-Longrain & Rockpool Sydney) - very good selection and Fire was also good. Room service was also reasonably prompt. Food charges are cheap/reasonable when compared to a five star hotel in Sydney but expensive by Bali standards so overall I didn't have any problem with the prices on food and drinks.

BABYSITTING: The W recommends 2 agencies and gets you to sign a disclaimer. A lovely girl babysat for us for 2 nights at IDR50,000 ($5AUD) per hour. Thereafter, I then booked her directly after finding out she was only paid half of this (!!) and chose to pay her the full amount directly.

CONCIERGE: Lovely ladies sorting us out. I suggest that when the spa is full they should have some recommendations for spas outside of the hotel at their finger tips.

CHECK-IN: Unfortunately it took too long - room was supposed to be ready at 3 and we waited in 35 degree heat & humidity for 1 hr. The common areas are strangely not air conditioned or even fanned so it was incredibly hot.

STAFF: Overall very good with everyone - the Balinese people are beautiful, caring people and nothing was too much trouble. Sometimes it took a couple of times to get it right but nothing major. I recommend pre-booking restaurants before you arrive as things got booked out very quickly. Also the poor staff were roasting in the black long-sleeved uniforms - put the gorgeous guys and girls in white and sarongs!

SPA: it was always booked out with no mention of the general facilities they have (as mentioned by another reviewer) so I didn't get to enjoy a massage. An hour massage was about $80AUD - cheap for Sydney, Expensive for Bali. I recommend the spa across the road ("Amo") at less than a third of the price.

GYM: Excellent gym with great air-conditioning and equipment.

OTHER RESTAURANTS: get concierge to book Sardine, La Luciola, Ke De Ta and Potato Head (perhaps lunch there as it's a beach club 2 doors down - walk there from the beach).

SECURITY: Excellent - bomb detection at the front and 24hr security from the beach entrance.

OVERALL: Decide what you are looking for from your trip. If you want to totally chill out this hotel probably isn't for you as there was a bit of door-doof music some nights (especially New Years Eve) (head to Ubud instead). Probably not the perfect place in Bali for a family with young kids as there's no kids club (head to Nusa Dua for this - we headed there for the second week of our holiday). BUT if you want to feel a bit hip, have some great cocktails, feel a bit fashionable and enjoy modern hotels then this is for you. Would I stay there again - Absolutely!

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are worth it. Villas are not in the main complex and are a bit of a walk to the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello PennyKM,

Thank for your sharing your constructive feedback on your stay with us.

I happy to hear that you experienced the Wow factor during your time with us.

It does sounds like you managed to experience and delight in our resturants and venues within the resort.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and have more great W cocktails to the ready.

Buckhead, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just clearly the best service of any hotel in the world. As you pull up to the front, everyone of the staff addresses you by name! I do over 100 room nights a year and have never experienced this level of service. The restaurants, bars, etc. do everything just right. If I needed anything, all I had to do was ask. The laundry service and the spa are quite reasonable.

I would highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: Watch out for the rip tide. Be sure to ask if it's running before going into the surf.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hello porschett,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am happy to hear that our service culture at W Bali exceed your expectations and you left W bali having had an enjoyable experience.

We do look forward to welcoming you back.

gold coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have just returned after 8 nights at the W and had a ball. The hotel has every facility you can imagine and lives up to their 'whatever/whenever' catch cry. My husband had his birthday during our stay and they made it extra special with a lovely cake and small gift and the whole restaurant managed a birthday singalong at breakfast! On that subject the breakfast was amazing and offered an endless list of choices from the menu or the buffet, both would suit the fussiest of diners.
The W is of course very modern and stylish and doesn't offer much of a hint you are in Bali - which sometimes I may have missed a little as we have been many times and like some of there traditional themes etc. However, you quickly forget this when there are so many other wonderful things to keep you constantly in awe.
The pool was great and the staff were very attentive, seemingly spotting every need to adjust your sun lounge, order a drink or offer a menu etc. We had no problem getting a sun lounge despite the hotel catering for large indian wedding which went on for days. For this reason we didn't really spend much time in the hotel in the evenings which we possibly would have done more had that not been the case (the wedding guests were literally everywhere!)
Only negative for us was the lack of availability for a shower as we had to check out at 2pm and out flight didn't depart until midnight. It would have been nice to have a quick shower and on almost every visit to Bali the hotel offers the either a room or the shower in the gym or spa to freshen up in before the flight home. I specifically asked about the spa and the gym and was told that was only available to those using the spa or gym?? I asked twice but was offered the open air shower around the pool. It's really not an option to take the paid late check out which was over $200USD - other than this small disappointment everything was brilliant.
The W is for you if you are looking for quality and luxury.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CraigSeaward1, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Hello shar888,

Many thanks for your feedback on your stay with us at W Bali.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great experience with us. I can only apologise that you were disappointed with not being able to have a shower upon check out.

We do take all guests comments on board with the view to improving our standards and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for more W experiences.

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful memories for us to cherish at the W! My husband and I are great W fans and this is the first W retreat that we have been to along with our two sons and it was simply wonderful! We stayed there for a week and what a bliss it was before coming back to snowy Düsseldorf. The rooms are great, the atmosphere cool and relaxing and I must say the staff at the W really made us feel so comfortable and appreciated. Thanks to Jean-Marc and Michael for arranging our late check out the day we had to leave eventhough it was almost impossible! Thank you also to Byang, Fido, Rika, Kaca and Adi for your kindness and great service! Great food, great facilities, great atmosphere and great service; we will definately be back again! Vielen Dank! Kosches'

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello MureenK,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's great to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us, as I would expect.

I will share your comments with our team, they'll be delighted to hear that they added to the Wow factor of your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My family and i spent a couple of days at the W Hotel in Seminyak.

First of all its worth mentioning that this hotel is maybe not the ideal family hotel. Its more for young adults.

The rooms are nice and quiet, The restaurants are great. The pool area is beautiful and the beach is nice also. I give it a 4 star and not a 5 star because its kind of crowded and maybe has an atmosphere that is for adults. especially the surrounded area is crowded and not my style.

Maybe the biggest tip: There are better places in Asia than Bali -- too much hype about this place and beaches are not great...I dont like Seminyak at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello amadeu,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with us.

I am glad you enjoyed your time at W Bali. I can only apologise that you found the hotel crowded, it is a busy time for year for.

We do hope you return and look forward to welcoming you back to W Bali.

Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!