“W for Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 50%
Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Seminyak
Sydney, Australia
“W for Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

WOW WOW WOW!.

My husband and I stayed at The W Retreat & Spa Bali from October 12 - 18, 2012. This is quite an impressive modern style hotel with incredible interior design!

I have been coming to Bali for over 25 years now and I would say that this hotel is up there with the best.

The location is good, as you are only a short walk on the beach to Potato Head (next door) and Kudeta. Eat Street in Oberoi is only a short taxi ride or at least a 10 min walk but there aren't sufficient footpaths along the way and is quite dangerous. There are also a couple of good local restaurants within walking distance (once you are dropped off by the buggy to the top of the driveway) such as Mantra, Biku, Petitenget, and the The Living Room.

All of the staff were WONDERFUL and their presence made you feel that you were actually in Bali! It was my husbands birthday while we were there and they went out of their way to make him feel special. The staff at the front desk were always accommodating and a special thanks to Diaz, not sure if that's the right spelling.

The room was spacious and clean but the only negative is that I didn't like the dark green tiles in our bathroom - it made it look dreary and didn't compliment the rest of the room. The Bose system is a bonus and the toiletries were adequate enough. The pillow menu needs to be re-thinked! The neck pillow is not a normal size pillow and was quite uncomfortable.

The pool area is lovely and not your typical square style pool. The cabanas are a nice option to laze around in.

The restaurants look amazing and to be honest the food could do with an overhaul. PLEASE add more salad options! Its seems that the majority of hotels in Bali think that all us westerners like to eat is junk food such as hot dogs, burgers, and fries! An unlimited salad bar and bbq option at lunch like the Le Meridien in Phuket have, would be WOW! Also, when you order from the breakfast menu at Fire or Starfish Bloo the portions are too small! My husband would get the steak and eggs and it was embarrassingly small.

This hotel suits the traveler that wants to feel like a rock star and be WOWED! As this is a W Hotel, its not a traditional Balinese hotel and if that's what you are after, you may have to go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Ocean facing room is fantastic! The villas are behind the main building and therefore dont get the s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Funky hotel with a good beachside location. Very modern design with bold colours, funky music and nice little touches (free anti mosquito spray called "buzz off" etc). Room size is big but overall the hotel area is smaller than I expected. Big pool with plenty of available sun loungers. Friendly and helpful staff who are willing to oblige you if at all possible (they opened a private room in the restaurant to allow us to watch a sports match on the TV when we asked if they were showing it anywhere).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

While waiting for a dinner reservation, our group of 7 called in for a sunset drink at the bar at W. From the outset, throughout our time, the service was terrible. We had to find a waiter to order our drinks and even when approaching the bar, we were told to wait for someone else. The cocktails were well charged with alcohol but lacked flavour from the other ingredients. The snacks also lacked taste. As the place was packed (until happy hour was over!) we were seated at the back near the bar so our view was non-existent but instead we got the full power of the speaker located nearby. Overall, if you are out looking for a nice sunset drink, keep walking rather than try the bar at W.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'm a Starwood Platinum member and used points to stay at the W. Before checking in, I asked for a room upgrade as part of my benefits through the Starwood helpdesk who kindly placed the request for me. Upon arriving at the W, I was given my original room but I asked if my upgrade request would be able to fulfilled. They said they could but my new room would not be available until 7 pm. However, the front desk went well above my expectations and stated that I could stay in my original room for the few hours my wife and I had to wait. I was impressed and very pleased they let us stay in a room until our new one was available. Furthermore, they transferred our luggage over to the new room. It was great to be able to stay at the hotel and use all its facilities even before our room was ready.

Service at the hotel, at all levels whether at the pool, breakfast, or the front desk, is top notch. Always smiling faces, always willing to help, and most important, always following through on your requests. One of the best overall service experience I have encountered.

Beach and pool are great. Although the beach was not always the best for swimming, depending on the tide, but it is not nearly as crowded as Kuta so it's nice to have a bit of solitude. Pool was relaxing.

Breakfast at Starfish was great. Good selection and tasty. But plenty of excellent food options in the Seminyak/Kerobakan area so you have the option to eat out if eating at the hotel is too pricey.

Both Ocean Facing Room and Marvellous Suite are great, form and function. Easy to relax in and very comfortable beds.

The only negative thing I could say about this place is that it is pricey. However, you are rewarded with great rooms, top notch service, and a beautiful location on the beach. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and would go back in a second.

Room Tip: Ocean facing reviews on the top floor have a sunlight window in the bathroom. Nice touch.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I can't imagine any guest saying a bad word about W. We travelled with a 14 month old and he was absolutely fawned over by staff. The staff even entertained him while we ate! The food was expensive by Bali standards but very reasonably priced considering where we were dining. The breakfasts at FIRE restaurants were amazing (don't forget you can order ala carte as part of the package. The buttermilk pancakes are OMGAMAZING). The pool was great - warm and shaded in spots. Definitely a wow factor all round. Had a lovely massage at the spa, although the spa is very very pricey. Staff were deferential and service was lightning fast. Want some ice? Call Wherever Whatever and someone is ringing your doorbell to deliver it before you've hung up the phone. They even provided us with a bottle steriliser, bottle warmer and bath toys because they knew we had a toddler wtih us. All staff speak perfect English - better than some Australians I know. If you have the coin, W is a beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room and it was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This seems to be the happening hotel in the Semiyak area. Had a nice and cheap airport pickup from the hotel. Hotel is fairly big and sometime you have to walk a bit. Staff is very helpful and will make sure all your needs are taken care of. Design is very nice and very much in line what I know from other W properties. Lots of small nice touches in the room make you feel like you are at home. The in room stereo system is great and the hotel must have good sound proofing ;-)

Only bad thing was the food. Really nothing to write home about and pricing seems to be wrong for Bali. Go to La Lucciola or KuDeTa for better deals.

Room Tip: go for the higher floor or for a villa
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a 1 bedroom pool villa and stayed for 6 nights. By the way, if you can, a villa is DEFINITELY the way to go. Sure, your room doesn't look out over the ocean, but you can just walk to the main part of the hotel, which is right on the beach, for that. Our villa was gated and private, just for us. It had a small outdoor pool, lounge chairs, table for having lunch and a gazebo, filled with comfortable pillows to hang out on in the shade. We found that having our own little oasis to come back to after hot days outside the hotel was perfect. No screaming children (there were a few at the main pool) and complete privacy.

The only complaint I have is that the paths to all of the villas is made up of extremely uneven stones, which make it difficult to walk on, especially in the evenings. But it's a quick walk, so it was fine.

Our villa booking included complimentary breakfast every morning in Starfish Blu, which looks out over the beach and ocean. Great food and wonderful service. Head down to Woo Bar in the evenings for live music, sunset-watching, cocktails and little nibbles...we started a few fun nights doing this, and i was perfect. Don't forget your camera/iPhone though...the sunsets here are absolutely breath-taking.

The hotel is about a 5-minute cab ride to the main shopping area in Seminyak. It is completely walkable (we did it the first day), but the lack of sidewalks and heat make it not so fun. Opt for a cab, they cost almost nothing. By the way, no need to be worried about security -- upon entering through the hotel's main gate, every car is stopped and checked for suspicious items (ie bombs) thoroughly. Completely safe.

I really cannot say enough great things about this hotel, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!