“Best place in Bali hands down” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 50%
Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Seminyak
Bali, Indonesia
“Best place in Bali hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

What a magical place for all old, young even kids. It's all there but it's not the cheapest but you do get what you pay for...

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Hello Rachbeef,

Thank you for your post. It IS all here and we hope that everyone gets a chance to experience W Bali. We also hope that you return soon!

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I am just back from a 7 night stay at the W in Bali and had an amazing time with my boyfriend. The hotel staff couldn't have been friendlier. We utilised the whatever/whenever service a few times to help in arranging some tours/restaurants etc which all worked out perfectly. The hotel itself looks and feels really trendy and definitely has the wow factor. We enjoyed some drinks at the woo bar but unfortunately the hotel was rather quiet so it lacked atmosphere. I also got given a voucher for a complimentary massage at check in and can definitely recommend the spa.

The only issue we had was breakfast on the Sunday morning when the staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed by everyone coming at the same time. I would recommend eating breakfast at the fire restaurant rather than starfish bloo as the service was better. Would definitely stay in another W hotel again as the whole experience at the W bali was fantastic.

Only one word of caution on Seminyak itself. It's not the kind of place you can easily stroll around, there are virtually no pavements and the traffic is busy. On the plus side taxis are cheap but it's worth getting out of the hotel to see other parts of the island.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Hello Kiki_82_9,

Thank you for taking the time to write your post. As this was your first stay at a W, I am glad to hear that we have made you a fan of the Brand!

Hopefully you will make it back sooner rather than later.

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I just got back from a two-week stay at the W Retreat and Spa Bali. We had a great holiday in Bali and for a large part because of the W. Even before arriving at the Retreat, we had a very pleasant experience with the staff. E.g. after completing my reservation, I was contacted by one of the reservation agents to offer VIP immigration service and an airport pick-up (both I would highly recommend).
After a short drive from the airport we entered the Retreat’s half a mile long driveway that I would call epic to say the least (if you want to exit the Retreat by foot to explore Seminyak, make sure to grab a buggy from the lobby to the main gate). SPG recognition is good at this property, as we were automatically upgraded upon check-in.
During the first part of our holiday we stayed in a Spectacular Ocean Glimpse room. Everyone should know that all rooms (excluding the marvelous and wow suites) within the retreat are the same, however, they differ in view. As you enter the room, the first thing you notice is the bathroom that is to die for. Make sure you request a room on a floor that has the skylights in the shower. The room was very spacious and beautifully decorated and really felt like a home away from home. The only drawback on the Ocean Glimpse rooms is the construction that is going on. You can see and hear the waves from your balcony, however, your eye will also catch the attention of the construction. So if it is ocean views you appreciate, make sure to get an ocean facing room.
Breakfast at Fire is simply put the best buffet breakfast that we ever had experienced. Not just the food is delicious, the staff is very attentive as well. The breakfast host remembered our names and room number. Also, the waiters remembered what our favorite food was and asked if we wanted to order the same thing again.
The pool area at WET is a good place to bask in the sun, with plenty of sunbeds available and attentive staff to order drinks or lunch. The sea in Seminyak can get quit rough so it isn’t allowed to swim in it, however we very much enjoyed watching the waves roll in. One of the Retreat’s dining venues, Starfish Bloo, overlooks the beach and pool area and is a great place to eat if you’re in to seafood. Gym facilities are great as well, so is the spa. One thing I love about W hotels is the cozy chill out spots that you can find throughout the entire hotel, and this property is no different. The WooBar is an architectural masterpiece and a good place to have cocktails and enjoy warm Balinese evenings. For our tours trough Bali, we both used taxi’s and hotel cars. For the longer trips I would advise using a hotel car, for a quick stop around the block grab a cab, as they cost next to nothing.
We upgraded to a Villa for the last couple of days during our stay. The Villa’s are breathtaking and ideal if you value privacy and tranquility. The only drawback was that we found the water pressure to be very low. I’ve read a lot about the paths surrounding the villa’s to be uncomfortable to walk on, which is true, that’s way there is 24 hour valet service. Just dial whatever/whenever and there will be a buggy ready to pick you up within 10 minutes.
Overall, it has been a very pleasant experience to stay at the W Bali. Had a chance to speak to the GM just before we were about to leave and seemed like a nice person. We noticed that the GM was walking around the property almost 24/7 making sure everything was perfect and setting the right example for the staff.
As I struggled for a long time to decide which room to book, I would advise the following. If you value ocean view, go for the ocean facing rooms and not the ocean glimpse rooms. If it privacy you value, go for the Villa, as they are about the same price.
We would like to thank the whole staff for making our stay so pleasant.
Cheers

Hello Vincent D,

Thank you for your stellar review! It was a pleasure meeting you albeit brief, but after spending two weeks at the Retreat and experiencing everything you did, I am sure you will return soon. And we look forward to welcoming you back.

Terrigal, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stayed in the W at the end of May for three nights having chosen and booked on the internet. We were picked up as promised and our transfer was very quick. We were so impressed on arrival by the decor and overall feel of the hotel. We love all things modern and this hotel has it in spades. Our room was an ocean facing room and indeed it looks over the pool and the ocean. Great view and we weren't bothered by the music though I can imagine some would be. Loved having the cd of the hotels music as well. The bathroom is huge and spacious with great toiletries but much to dark for applying makeup. The curly flex not the hairdryer nearly drove me mad and there is no full length mirror in the bedroom or bathroom.Why???!Breakfast is amazing. Loved choosing my own mug at breakfast and what a breakfast. I think it's the nicest I've had in ages. The service was a bit slow at times but everyone is so smily it hardly matters. The spa is amazing but busy. We used the gym a few times, modern clean good machines. The pool is great, loads of sun beds, daybeds, beanbags etc. Love how they take you to your seat and put out your towels and take them away promptly when people leave. Drinks and food at the pool both good quality. The ice bar is a great place to watch the sunset on oversized couches and we ate a lovely dinner at Starfish Bloo one evening which was fantastic, we ate in a birdcage which was a first!
The overall vibe of this hotel is funky but relaxed. I think they need to look at the level of bureaucracy though as checkin took ages and when I returned to the hotel to pick up a pair of jeans that i had forgotten I had to go back to my waiting taxi for ID which they then photocopied. Whole process took about 15 minutes and I was on my way to the airport. I would stay at the W again.

Hello elsie18A,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your W Bali Experience. I think you tried out everything we offer!

To note, the sliding conceal/reveal wall between the bedroom and bathroom has a full-length mirror on the other side.

Thank you for letting me know about your about the situation upon check out. I will evaluate how we can improve our processes at welcome.

We do hope to have you back soon in Paradise!

Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have stayed here many times now. Ian and the amazing staff put on a breakfast like no other. Interesting sample juices and tasty tapas are brought to the table. The coffee is surprisingly drinkable.... And the views over the pool are superb. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an ocean facing room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Lberylb,

It’s nice to hear from one of our regular locals. Thanks for your continued support and looking forward to having you back soon.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Traveled here for business. The room itself was a bit small but very modern, a typical W property. The grounds, especially the pool area, were amazingly beautiful. Service was excellent, and the food was very good. I had a fantastic meal at Starfish Bloo. The spa is wonderful, although predictably expensive. Some of my colleagues had villas with private pools, and those looked incredible. Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Hello Reilly_Peanut,

I am happy to hear that even though you came for business, you still had some free time to enjoy the facilities. All I will say is that you have to come back for holiday! See you soon…

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I recently enjoyed a wonderful stay at the trendy W hotel Bali. I would recommend the following : if you want to experience the authentic Bali, then do not stay here ... unless like me, you choose for this hotel for the first days of your holiday to overcome the jetlag before moving on to the real Bali (after the W hotel, we moved on to Como Shambhala, Alila Soori & Alila Uluwatu ... An awesome trip that will blow you away and make you experience the best that Bali has on offer ... See my other reviews).

Pros :
- hotel is conveniantly located, not too far from the airport (about 30 min) and in upscale Seminyak, near restaurants and shops. Perfect to overcome to jetlag and to start off your holiday.
- the style of the hotel is modern, hip and trendy. From all W hotels that I visited, this is my favorite.
- rooms were brilliant : spacious, lots of daylight, heavenly bed, wonderful bathroom. As an SPG gold member, I was upgraded to an ocean view on the highest floor (ask for a room with ocean view at a high floor at check in).
- the grey sand beach in front of the hotel was superb to walk along. I do not understand that other reviews here describe the beach as dirty as it was superclean. However, I heard that during the rainy season a lot of trash washes ashore, so this may explain why some find the beach dirty. But admittedly, the beach was nothing in comparison to the remote west coast black lava beaches (Alila Soori) and the wild golden sand beaches of the Bukit peninsula (Alila Uluwatu).
- communication with the resort before arrival was SUPERB : all my emails were answered within 24 hours.
- breakfast really surpassed my high expectations : you order all you want. It is partly buffet, partly menu. The fruit juices are delicious.
- the Spa is supertrendy and treatments superb. Book in advance to avoid disappointment.

Contras : i could not find any faults. Just keep the following in mind :
- the hotel could as well be in South Beach, so do not expect the real Bali.
- the hotel is oriented towards a younger clientele, with hip architecture and dj's playing music. This will be an advantage for some, but disadvantage for others.

Hello talula001,

Excellent feedback and thank you so much for taking the time to post it. Admittedly, my favorite part is that W Bali was your favorite W so far! The fact that you have visited several sister properties makes me believe that you would be a great ambassador for us. It is nice that you were able to visit other resorts during your stay. I read your other reviews and what I think we can agree on is that each one is special in its own way and you were able to get the total Bali experience.

Do let us know if you ever return to the Island of Gods, we would love to have you back!

Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!