“Sharp design but the service could be more professional” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

You added W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak to your Saves list
W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Petitenget, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE UP TO 50%
Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Seminyak
Paris-Durham
“Sharp design but the service could be more professional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We've just spent a week at the W Resort Seminyak in one of the villas. The hotel is brand new, as it opened in the spring of 2011, so the amenities are pristine and in great condition, but at the same time, the service is still far from impeccable, as can be expected from a hotel that opened a few months ago.
On the bright side, the design is extremely edgy and contemporary, in the room as well as in the lobby and in the 2 main restaurants. The overall style of the hotel is one of the best in Bali, second to those of the St. Regis, Bulgari or Alila hotels. The design itself may in fact not be the most refined, but it is definitely the trendiest. The location of the hotel is another positive point. It is conveniently located close to the "eat street" of Seminyak and clubs such as the Potato Head and the Ku De Ta.
However, the conception of public amenities is not optimal for young kids, with numerous flights of stairs, decorative pools etc. Moreover, the quality of the service is not on par with what you would find at one of the Four Seasons resorts or the St. Regis for instance.
At breakfast for example, we had to be proactive to actually find a waiter willing to take our order (this kind of event also occurred at the bar once). Then, coffee arrived more than 20 minutes later, when we were almost done eating. Although such a trivial detail shouldn't be that frustrating, it is still far from what you would expect at a hotel like the W. Furthermore, the staff sometimes seemed to lack instructions/experience. One thing that particularly annoyed my father was that waiters oftentimes brought me the check or the wine list, even though I look 30 years younger, just because I look European whereas he looks more Asian.
Finally, although the personnel were kind and relatively attentive, it was sometimes hard to be understood and as a result, we were often disappointed by the service we received. In fact, most employees – including the concierge – speak a very rudimentary English.

NB: Being a Starwood Prefered Guest (Gold) or premium American Express cardholder literaly doesn't add any benefit at the W (besides a 2pm "late" checkout that had to be explicitly requested - the regular 4pm checkout could not be secured), although it brings nice perks at the St. Regis, which also belongs to Starwood.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Hello nourriture,

Thank you for posting your review. We are happy to hear that you appreciated the design of W Bali. I am sorry that your W Experience was not on par with your expectations. We are constantly working to improve our service standards and I have taken your comments to the Director of B+F to address them with the Talent.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the issues further: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com

Craig Seaward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have never reviewed a hotel before on trip advisor although I often look at this before booking. The one thing I noticed aboout the W hotel in Bali reviews were that they were quite mixed. I am really glad that I still booked and stayed at this amazing hotel. From the beautiful rooms to the amazing decor within the hotel we kept discovering new nooks and cranies within the hotel. The pool area was also great! However the thing that stood out to us most was the unbelievable service within the hotel. NOTHING was too much trouble and everyone had a smile on their faces the whole week we were there. Whatever we required we received!!! Craig the GM and his awesome team were a pleasure to meet and you can see why this hotel has such great service when you meet them. We can't wait to go back soon!

Hello sharon t,

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. I am delighted to hear that your experience at W Bali inspired you to post your first review. Everyone has their opinion, but there is nothing like experiencing something for yourself and then being more than pleasantly surprised! This is the point I like to reiterate with the Talent: every person that walks into W is an Insider and they should not leave without feeling that way.

Thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back any time!

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

This place is quite simply the most visually amazing resort I've every seen. You will say "wow" every 30 seconds when you arrive! The designers are very talented people!

But what no one else mentioned was -

The beach is ugly. Not even nice to walk on. The sand is black and there is so much rubbish on it that you need to have a Tetanus injection after walking on it! Within 2 minutes we passed a used "rubber thingy", dog poop and broken beer bottle. And the waves are dangerous so don't even think about swimming here. Unfortunately, we really like a beach holiday - so this disappointed us. Why hasn't anyone mentioned this?

Secondly, the resort is located on the outskirts of town (restaurants, shopping). You can't just pop out to have a cheap pedicure or a quick shop. You have to get a cab and sit in traffic so it's a bit of a pain. But keep in mind, the cabs are plentiful and embarrassingly cheap.

We had one week here.

We started in a ocean front room. There is absolutely no difference between a Ocean View room and Ocean Front room so don't pay the difference. The rooms are quite small and although funky decor, are not that exciting. You MUST request 4th or 5th floor. 3rd floor have timber ballustrading which affects your view. The higher floors have glass ballustrading on the balcony, the views are obviously better, and I think most of them have the famous skylight window above the shower.

We got room 337 - right next to the lift and right next to the housekeeping pantry/area. What a nightmare! Request a room far from this area!! Once the party crowd had finished walking passed every night "woohooing", the housekeeping would start with their noisy trolleys etc. After 2 nights we moved to a pool villa (to get some peace & quiet!).

In my opinion, Seminyak is the home of the huge, gorgeous, romantic pool villa! They are plentiful and cheap in town!

The W pool villas are nothing exciting. They are not huge, and have you seen the price?!!!!! Yes, service is magnificent, and they are private. BUT - our plan of getting some sleep didn't happen! The aircon is noisy - like a jet taking off noisy! In the dead of the night, it's really loud. And it's just too hot to sleep without it on. Apparently the units were custom made and there is not enough space in the ceiling for them.??? All villa's have the same problem. Some people complain - some are fine with it. We weren't.

If you are happy to just plonk yourself at the resort, this is the place for you. If you like to pop out once or twice a day - book one of the many villas in town - this will make for a easier holiday.

Breakfast is one of the best I've seen in the world - we travel heaps - 5/6 star funky resorts are our specialty! And this brekky is the best! We loved the trays of treats being constantly offered. Nice.

Beware the noisy children by the pool. We have children and would never bring them to a place like this. Whats up with these people? It is such a romantic/funky/crazy/fun/swanky/sexy type of resort - soooo not a family resort. Anyway, if your child does have a temper tantrum by the pool - perhaps take him/her away for a walk. And if your kids are squealing with excitement in the pool whilst jumping in - perhaps ask them to quieten down a bit. It's just nice manners. Wow I sound like a grump now!
Perhaps the W could allocate an adults only area.??

The day spa - WOW! Stunning to look at. Had a great massage, but my pedicure was ridiculous. The foot massage lasted for 90seconds. Not good enough.

The service at W Hotel is wonderful. Every staff member is smiley and beautiful and we found their English to be quite good.

I feel awful saying this - but we won't be back. We've learnt that Seminyak is not a beach destination - but we still loved the shops & restaurants. So next time we'll grab one of those US$200/300 per night pool villa's in the middle of town (C151 looked amazing!) - and then we'll head to Nusa Dua for some beach time.

Room Tip: 4th & 5th floor hotel rooms have better balconies. Further from the lift is quieter.
Hello ILuv2Travel,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. In regards to the beach in front of the Retreat, we do have our regular beach cleaning and are now working with the Rotary Club to put in permanent workers to clean the beach from Seminyak to Uluwatu as well as to facilitate a recycling program. The waves are dangerous as the there is a really strong rip so we do advise guests not to swim there.

I have also taken your points about the spa and WET area and spoken to the relevant department heads.

I’m sorry to hear that you will not be coming back. There are certainly several wonderful places in Bali and I’m sure you would not be disappointed at our sister properties St. Regis, Laguna or Westin – all located in the Nusa Dua area.

If you have any other concerns, please feel to discuss them with me directly: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Just back from an incredible week at the W in Seminyak. From the time of arrival to our expansive bedroom with its amazing bathroom and its incredible views everything that one could want from a hotel was available with plenty of wonderful surprises built into the decor and design and a subtle Bali influence without it being in your face.
Breakfast was a daily treat and experience and caters for all dietary needs. Fortunately the ultra modern gym was open 24 hours a day so we could exercise our somewhat excessive breakfast away.
The pool area has multiple seating arrangements be it sitting on massive day beds, cabanas or lounge chairs. The pleasure of having a daily staff member spray a scented mist whilst relaxing in the area just made you feel that this place really is special. The big plus was that the pool seating was well spaced so you didn't feel as if you were on top of a stranger like we saw in other Seminyak hotels.
The staff have been well trained or maybe it was just the wonderful nature of the Balinese in ALL departments of the hotel - nothing was too much trouble to get anything we wanted to happen such as recommendations for restaurants and places to see and things to do.
Everybody is pleased to have you as a guest of the hotel and proud of the work they do.
We will be back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
W_Bali_Seminyak, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Hello Rodney N,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind post. You make a good point about the seating around the pool – there are several configurations and even though there are plenty of lounges, you never feel like it is overcrowded. The Balinese have a natural hospitality that is highlighted when they get to engage with our guests. Let us know when you are ready to come back. We would love to have you!

All the best,
Sydney, Australia

THE W RETREAT MADE ME CRY – IN A GOOD WAY

This place is the Maserati of resorts. It is relatively new so word of mouth is still catching up. From my point of view is great, because it makes bookings more available. Though the retreat is certainly no ghost town.

This place is a slice of Heaven on Earth. I have a twisted view of Heaven and in no way politically correct.

My view of Heaven is a brand new state-of-the-art resort beside a beach in the tropics, where young beautiful people attend to my every wish, bringing me little "treaties", by a beautiful swimming pool, surrounded by palm trees, while bathing in the warm ocean air. My twisted view of heaven is that this place transforms onto a fantastic (night) club at night with great music surrounding me, I have new and old friends around me and the warmth and sounds of the nearby waves wash over me.

My twisted view of Heaven is that at anytime I wish to step into an alternate part of Heaven, I can. I can step into a place where healing hands rub oil over almost all my being while I drift along to the sounds of soothing groovy music in a beautiful space. In this view of heaven, I can also step into a beautiful space and experience solitude and the quietness of my own company.

This is the W Bali.

I believe that at at least one point in life everyone should experience having anything and everything they want and a lot of beautiful things their imaginations hadn't even dreamed of.

This is breakfast at the W Bali.

We found that the best approach to breakfast was treat it like an important layered event. Starting off with fresh coffee. Any choice: Latte, short black, long black, whatever the heart desires. Freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh papaya, or fresh pineapple juice. Next a favourite of ours, a small selection of fresh fruits with a slice of lime for dressing along with a small side of bircher muesli topped with fresh strawberries, a light side of crunchy granola and a light drizzle of local honey still dripping from honeycomb as it is warmed by a candle. Next choice may likely have been two small fresh pancakes, topped with small slices of banana, fresh strawberries, dashes of whipped King Island cream, berry compote and more honey drizzle.

The technique for breakfast definitely requires requesting small portions. You need to pace yourself. This is a process requiring concentration and a strong sense of indulgence. A few small breaths are needed at this point. While breathing gently, you will probably have a "Talent" (thats what they call their staff) come with a small "treaty". These are gently offered throughout breakfast. Favourites of ours included a pair wheat grass shots in small glass tubes resting in a bowl of crushed ice with a sliver of orange resting in the top. The idea being that you quickly drink the wheat grass and then cleans the palate with the sliver of orange. Another favourite treaty was the small wrapped steamed banana leaf packets containing chicken pieces, rice and Balinese spices.

A long breath in and slowly release. Time for eggs, and they are prepared to your liking. I liked mine scrambled with butter, cream and milk, seasoned and topped with slivers of salmon. A bit of a small discreet stretch is recommended at this point. Remember this is something you are going to want to remember. Ok, time for the finishing, a classic croissant and fresh hot coffee.

What I have just described to you is one of my breakfasts. This constitutes less than 2 % of the choices that were available to me. It does not describe the beautiful cold meat selection, the cheese selection, the buffet selection the sushi and sashimi selection, the pastry selection, the cake selection, the condiment selection or the “treaty” selection. I am talking serious options and the quality of every item is the best of its kind. This is not the time to consider a starvation diet. Forget it, it is just going to insult one of the best experiences you are going to ever be presented with, so you might as well go with the flow. And yes...remember to breath.

After breakfast it was time for the pool or the Spa. Both very very beautiful. But I don't want to tell you all of it...it may ruin it for you.

What do you say to people about a slice of Heaven that you have found, in terms that they may believe, where the entire experience has been a fantastic transforming and rein-vitalising one? One which was nurturing and re-inspiring of a belief that Heaven can exist on earth.

Think about some of the good breakfasts you have had in your life. Imagine you are sitting with a friend at one of your favourite restaurants enjoying breakfast together. Now imagine that this restaurant and this breakfast are like hand coloured black and white photographs. You have never seen anything other than black and white photographs and hand painted versions of these. You are explaining at lengths to the person next to you how great these images are. Finally you pause to take a breath and a bite from the breakfast you are enjoying. The person next to you takes the pause and says "I have seen far better pictures, ones full of colour and imagination, depth and clarity". You quaff at them and in so doing, choke a bit on your "good breakfast". A moment passes and your friend reaches into their pocket and pulls out a photo, they carefully turn it over and you see, for the first time in your life, a photo full of colour, depth, imagination and inspiration.

At first you experience an obvious sense of awe and amazement. But in the second moment, you are filled with the strangest sense of conflicting emotions. You strangely want to cry – you realise you have found something you have long been looking for.

I could talk and talk, but I would like to say to you, in my pocket I have a photo I would like to show you. But i have to warn you........it is going to make you cry...It is a photo of my breakfast and my time at the W.

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Hello BruceD,

That may be the most eloquent description of W Bali yet! Thank you for putting such a vivid image in everyone’s mind. It is certainly one thing to see a photo and quite another to actually experience it. I’m glad that W Bali is that twist of heaven you’ve been dreaming of and now keep in your pocket. I can’t really say too much more, except we cannot wait to have you back.

Please email me directly when you are ready to return: gm.craig.seaward@whotels.com.

Warm Wishes,
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

After deciding last minute to embark on an oversea's adventure with my housemate, we were challenged with the decision of where to go and where to stay (cheap and cheerful or luxurious and easy). We sifted through the options and landed on the WBali - this was in part because of the Reputation of the W LA and in part because we'd decided to go with luxurious and easy.
So when we rocked up to the hotel (after a plane ride were we were jumping out of our skin to finally have our first Bali experience) we were blown away but the setting / facilities and straight up WOW factor. I've stayed at upmarket boutique hotels around the world (i.e versace ) and this is easily up there and more.
Loved the Whatever / Whenever button on my phone - and certainly enjoyed the poolside cocktails and cruisy beats. The international DJ and high season event were awesome and the venue's location, close to some of Bali's other nightspots - Ku De Ta / Potato head were very handy (although most of the time it was hard to leave the hotel)
Amazing Service - friendly staff and an all round good time

Thanks for my memorable maiden bali experience.

This hotel will be recommended to everyone i know travelling to Bali and I'll certainly be back for more.

Justin and Jules

Room Tip: We Booked on a 4 for 3 deal - it certainly made this hotel good value compared to other 5 star resor...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Hello Justin m,

We are delighted that you chose W as part of your first experience in Bali. The team works hard to maintain the WOW factor, so thank you for noticing. High season is definitely a great time to be in Bali, and as you mentioned, our location provides access to some of the best venues in Seminyak, but also allows you to just relax and feel as if you have escaped from the hustle and bustle. We do hope you spread the word as this is the best advertising we could ask for.

Keep your eye on our Special Offers Page as we update our packages all the time.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

The W Retreat-I would give it 50 stars if I could. I've stayed at ALOT of great hotels around the world ( Four Seasons Maldives, Bellagio Vegas...) and the W is my absolute favorite. It's young, hip, happening, groovy, relaxed and above all very beautiful. I felt like a movie star on a fabulous film set. You NEED to stay here.

Ok, so about the resort- The lobby, oh my, is superb, especially at night. It consists of reception and a bar that lights up magically with ever changing colors reflected through white marble. They have thought of everything here-it's got so many personal, special little touches, it's just beyond delightful. The rooms rock! Beautifully designed and fitted out it made me feel instantly relaxed and yes, I wanted to move in permanently! The staff are waaaay too cute for words....and they kept on getting cuter and sweeter as time went by. Or as the W calls staff 'Talent' With a business of my own, I know how important it is to have great talent, and the W has totally nailed it.

Breakfast...goodness me, you've never seen anything like it. Ian (the head chef) is fantastic! They have a selection of hundreds of different coffee cups you can choose to suit your mood on the day. The Fire Restaurant is spectacular. The immense choice takes at least an hour or two to get through. Whatever you ask for gets done, and gets done perfectly. Chefs also bring around little treaties for you to try. My favorite was a mini pastrami burger-yuuuuum! Lunches were great, dinners were delicious!

After breakfast I wobbled off to the huge day beds by the pool. The pool staff set you up for the day with a selection of very comfy cushions and pillows to bliss out on. I highly recommend a at 11 am a Strawberry Honey Mojito with a fat straw so you can drink all the chunky plump strawberries-see they think of everything!

We had a 5 day stay booked, then 5 days at the Intercontinal booked. The day we had to leave was sad, we seriously didn't want to go. The treament by the W was 50 stars, the intercon was 1 star-DO NOT STAY THERE. After 3 days at the Intercon we ditched and went back to the W. Four hours before the flight home we couldn't bear to go back to Sydney so we stayed for another 5 days, and it was worth every cent.

This is a stylish and sophisticated place without being snobby. Yes, it is expensive- but as I say pay peanuts and you get monkeys! This is a place to recharge your batteries, get spoilt and have a fabulous time. It's not for everyone-if you are a loud mouthed, Bintang T-shirt wearing, southern cross tattood aussie please find another resort. The W will be getting very popular, with a great reputation, so book in as soon as possible, I hope you have a perfect time just as I did.

W Retreat, I love you , and I'll be back very soon :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello HeidiZ,

If you’re handing out a 50-star rating, then I’ll take it! Thanks so much for your kind words. I’m sure InterCon was disappointed you left, but we were very happy to have you back! You’ve pointed out a few of my favorite things about the Retreat: the Talents, breakfast at Fire, and the Strawberry Honey mojitos. But it really is the Talent that makes the difference and I appreciate you taking the time to comment on them.

Let me know when you are ready to come back, we would love to have you.

Warm Wishes,
Craig Seaward

Been to W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak? Share your experiences!