We've just spent a week at the W Resort Seminyak in one of the villas. The hotel is brand new, as it opened in the spring of 2011, so the amenities are pristine and in great condition, but at the same time, the service is still far from impeccable, as can be expected from a hotel that opened a few months ago.
On the bright side, the design is extremely edgy and contemporary, in the room as well as in the lobby and in the 2 main restaurants. The overall style of the hotel is one of the best in Bali, second to those of the St. Regis, Bulgari or Alila hotels. The design itself may in fact not be the most refined, but it is definitely the trendiest. The location of the hotel is another positive point. It is conveniently located close to the "eat street" of Seminyak and clubs such as the Potato Head and the Ku De Ta.
However, the conception of public amenities is not optimal for young kids, with numerous flights of stairs, decorative pools etc. Moreover, the quality of the service is not on par with what you would find at one of the Four Seasons resorts or the St. Regis for instance.
At breakfast for example, we had to be proactive to actually find a waiter willing to take our order (this kind of event also occurred at the bar once). Then, coffee arrived more than 20 minutes later, when we were almost done eating. Although such a trivial detail shouldn't be that frustrating, it is still far from what you would expect at a hotel like the W. Furthermore, the staff sometimes seemed to lack instructions/experience. One thing that particularly annoyed my father was that waiters oftentimes brought me the check or the wine list, even though I look 30 years younger, just because I look European whereas he looks more Asian.
Finally, although the personnel were kind and relatively attentive, it was sometimes hard to be understood and as a result, we were often disappointed by the service we received. In fact, most employees – including the concierge – speak a very rudimentary English.
NB: Being a Starwood Prefered Guest (Gold) or premium American Express cardholder literaly doesn't add any benefit at the W (besides a 2pm "late" checkout that had to be explicitly requested - the regular 4pm checkout could not be secured), although it brings nice perks at the St. Regis, which also belongs to Starwood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape hectic philosophies, and why not plunge into vibrant glitz amidst natural splendors? We're a new found playground along the shores of Seminyak, where trendsetting chic restaurants, clubs, fashions and eclectic galleries await discovery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood APAC, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Ctrip TA, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak Hotel Seminyak
- w Retreat And Spa Bali - Seminyak