“A Hotel with "Benefits"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Artista Bali

You added Casa Artista Bali to your Saves list
Casa Artista Bali
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Jl Saridewi 17 | Sunset Village, Seminyak, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #18 of 79 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Bali
“A Hotel with "Benefits"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

What a great concept Casa Artista has created. They bring the fun to you. I live in Bali and travel to the south beaches often for a day of sun, shopping and dancing. How many times, after a day of being on the go, do I try to revive myself, get dressed up, find a taxi and make my way out. At Casa Artista, the fun was right there. I love the tango and the people who are so passionate about this dance. Stephani, the owner, was so helpful in getting all the guests connected and the staff was always helpful. I love the art deco style and the pool is amazing. The whole vibe is jazzy, cool and relaxed. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a new experience...not just a regular hotel, but a hotel with "benefits"!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

As regular travellers to Bali we first stayed at Casa Artista about 2 years ago and fell in love with the place. Stefani, the owner is lovely and has a passion for tango and painting which is reflected in the hotel decor. The staff are friendly, approachable and always happy to assist. Rooms and bathrooms are large & cleaned daily. The pool is also cleaned daily & very refreshing. Breakfast is served at the table in front of your room overlooking the pool. The hotel is in a quiet location but within walking distance to popular Seminyak bars, restaurants and shops. Love it! Casa Artista has become our home away from home!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I stayed in Casa Artista for two months and I had a wonderful time there. The hotel is beautiful, well located and inspiring. It is surrended by art, music, and dance. It is a perfect place to go alone because you can meet new people and it is perfect if you go with your couple because it is a very warm and romantic place.

The rooms are really comfortable and beautifully decorated. Breakfast and food are delicious, you can try food not only from Bali but from other parts of the world. Casa Artista has a fantastic swimming pool and a garden where you can sunbathe, read and relax.

The staff is kind and charming. They always help you and talk to you with a big smile. People are very sweet. The owner is also charming and she makes you feel like if you were at home.

If you go to Casa Artista, you can't miss the tango activities which take place there, they are fascinating. Great teachers, nice people.

In Casa Artista, everybody works to make your stay perfect and unforgetable. I totally recommend this place

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed at Casa Artista for one month and loved the place.
It is located in the heart of seminyak close to both, the beach and the night live area. for example the KuDeTa lounge is just 5 walking minutes away, yet it resides in a quite street, so you can also enjoy a quiet evening, if you like.

The staff is very friendly and helpful in organizing special requests, just ask. The hotel has a nice long swimmingpool where you can do some laps, compared to other hotels, who often only offer small plunge pools.

my room was huge and I really liked the ambience of it and actually of the whole place. everything is decorated with a certain kind of taste - that I adore. I think the images of their webpage do not yet resemble that in full. some things you have to see with your own eyes.

breakfast is served every morning on my porch (every room has its own) that overlooks the beautiful pool/garden area. since they have a fantastic cook you might also want to order lunch or dinner to have it there, too.

The entrance hall is turned into a beautiful milonga place once a week, so for a tanguero - like myself - it's the place to be. If you are new to tango, you can learn it there, since they also offer tango lessons. The manager occasionally organizes other events in the lobby with a welcoming atmosphere, where you are sure to meet interesting people. And you might also meet the owners two cute little dogs, gizmo and miles, and probably fall in love with them, so cute ;-)

the only advice I would give to the management is to hand out a detailed map (maybe on the back their business cards) to the guests for them to show to the taxi drivers, since this hidden pearl might be hard to find.

altogether I can definitely recommend the place, and I hope to soon return myself.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Casa Artista is definitely for those of an artistic bent ...both for painting & tango.
It looks most charming Argentina meets Bali but it has a few flaws. The cleaning is a bit haphazard - the bathrooms could be scrubbed a bit more. There is too much chlorine in their lovely pool.
There are many mosquitoes inside the room - why hotels don't use mossie nets in Bali I don't know particularly as there is a rise in dengue fever.
The tango music on their tango night is great until it goes on & on until 2-3 in the morning with accompanying loud chatter.
The food is quite pleasant & inexpensive.
The owner is very unfriendly.
And the massage offered is an acquired taste.
It's in a great location though & it is very pretty. It's expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
TangoBali, Owner at Casa Artista Bali, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Hi valued customer,

did we ever met? My apology that we did not meet your satisfaction.
My staff is trying their very best , but that was not good enough.
My name cards are everywhere in the rooms and my guest can contact me directly by email anytime , if they have queries or claims. It is a pity you did not make use of this, I could have arranged things that you could enjoy your stay with us.
You write viewable for everybody , that I am "very unfriendly".
I am sad to hear this.I always try to keep a very personal relation with all my guest except I am very busy or not at home. Probably I was very busy and did not see you. My apology .
Regarding the Tango nights, well this is what a Tango guesthouse is about.
My website says that very clearly and customers, who are not into Tango and very sensitive better to choose another place to stay.
I wished we had met in person,
warmest regards,
Stefani K
Dili
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I booked this place based on the rave reviews it received, however, I'm not sure how that is possible!

The rooms are ok, but the scuff and finger marks/stains all over the walls are off-putting to say the least! The scuff marks where also throughout the rest of the common areas of the hotel. Some of the lights didn't work either and the mini-bar was spartan. The bathroom was dark – even with the lights on and the room was not that clean either.

I had the Fit and healthy breakfast, which was nice, however, on the third day I had to ask for the bread to be toasted and for the tomatoes that usually came with the meal!

I agree with RotterdamBali. The place is run by the two dirty dogs, not hotel staff! They live in the kitchen during the night (yes, your meals are prepared in the same room). They bark during early ours of the morning and it echoes throughout the property. While I was sitting in the front foyer, I noticed yellow puddles under the chairs on two mornings (I suspect it was dog urine, what else could it be??) and the hotel staff did not clean it up until later in the day! The foyer floor was dirty most of the time too.

Hotel staff don't speak much English and they are average on friendliness. The massage was not that good either.

With more hotels/villas available then you can poke a stick at in Seminyak, offering better facilities and more modern style, I couldn't imagine why someone would want to stay here, let alone come back!

• Stayed January 2011
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

What can I say? My best guess is that it is all going a bit to easy for the owner of this hotel. And mostly that is when the trouble starts.

When we arrived (on time) the staff made us wait for more than half an hour. In our room were still other guests one of the staffmembers told us. Apparentely it had something to do with the owner having friends or relatives over and forgot to tell the staff or just did not care. I don't mind waiting a little bit (even when I am on time and just travelled for more than twenty hours) but don't tell me it will only be for "five minutes". And just oppologise. It is really not that hard.

Furthermore the owner (never saw her though) has two (small and dirty) dogs. And apparentely these dogs have free acces to the enitire hotel. They even walk in the rooms when the door is not closed, begg for food when having breakfast in front of the room and even have a crap right in front of you (no kidding!!!). The dogs barked enough to wake us up twice (of five nights). Get rid of them, please!

The bed is fine, but the rest of the room was not. There was dust on most of the furniture. The ventilator in the bathroom was almost black (once it was white, I'm sure). The free daily two bottles of water were not deliverd twice.

Breakfast was ok and served outside the room. But once finished it just stood there up to several hours. With the dogs and the temperature it wasn't a pretty sight.

When other guests were playing very loud music, strangely enough seemed to enjoy it and did not asked the guests to lower the volume. But perhaps the staff did not notice because of the loud music they played themselves when were cleaning rooms.

et cetera.

When we left the hotel, a couple of wrong bills (laundry) where attached to our roombill and we had a pretty hard time convincing the staff they were not ours. How rude! When that happened we did not feel the urge to help make this hotel a litte better by telling the staff what we thought (and think) can improve. What a shame!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued customer,

my apology , for the bad experience you had.
First of all, Casa Artista is my private house and a guesthouse for tango and arts. It is not a hotel.
Well, my dogs, who are still puppies can be naughty from time to time.
In general I have always a good relationship with my guests, many of them have become my friends now and many of them love my dogs and see a good company in them.
When I call my dogs back they even urge me to let them stay with them. Like I said, we become friends, my guests, me and my dogs.
Your stay was in the peek season and we were very very busy.
Our staff is quite well trained but probably they could not catch up with their work properly as they use to do.
My name card with my email address is placed everywhere in the house and it is a pity you did not contact me directly, when first problems showed up. I could have instructed staff and I could have arranged better conditions for you that your holiday would have been more enjoyable.
My website will in future featuring my dogs, that people have a better impression.
I love my dogs. I will never get rid of them.
warm regards,
Stefani K

Been to Casa Artista Bali? Share your experiences!