“Very nice” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Mullica Hill, New Jersey, United States
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a very nice place. The food was good and priced right. It's a BYOB which is nice. The menu section was good. We went on a Friday night and it wasn't crowded.

Visited September 2012

Mantua, New Jersey
“A past shining star that is twinkling on an off a bit too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Ok, I want to like this place. Nice ambiance, good service in the past and at times, really good eats. This should be a packed local hangout. They have the mid-upscale cafe crowd all to themselves, but for some reason the management just can't decide what they want to be and as the other reviews reveal, that is frustrating the clientele.

I've been here several times for breakfast and lunch over the couple of years that they have been open and it's a movable feast. The breakfast menu has always been good as was here in Dec 2012. They do a very decent eggs Benedict and a couple of varieties of other similar dishes as well as a nice French toast. I can say that the recent addition of beignets to the breakfast menu are tasty and are right on point. They reference Cafe du Monde, the famous French Quarter icon in their menu and they do a credible rendition. I am not so sure how the chicory coffee goes over with the locals, but it's a nice, insider touch. For all the times that I've been, breakfast at The Woodbury Station has always been a pleasurable experience.

The lunch menu, no so wonderful. In fairness, the lunch menu has been great at times, but on this visit, disappointing. I think that a change of chefs have left the place searching for an identity. For example, crawfish etouffee, which used to be on the menu, was really very good-I lived in New Orleans for years and know the cuisine well-given how far we are from Louisiana. Sadly it is now gone. Also gone is the wonderful pulled pork sandwich that used to be on the menu. What has replaced it is a rather bland, food service bulk pack product drenched in nondescript HFCS-drenched BBQ sauce. You just can't fake well prepared food with packaged products.

And that brings us to today as an example of the hit/miss nature of things. Two friends and I decided to drop in for lunch as we have all been there several times before. The two of them ordered the Angus burger and I went for the pulled pork sandwich, of fond memory. Unfortunately I quickly regretted ordering it. Fresh pulled-pork had a sweet, nutty flavor that tends to sour as it ages. This pork was long in the tooth and no amount of overly sweet BBQ sauce could hide its age. It wasn't off as in turned bad, it just was obviously old. I debated sending it back. Sadly I was not the only one to be disappointed. My companions found their Angus beef patties to be dry and way overcooked. Medium-well Angus became, as one described it "a big, bland, dry hockey puck". What was more surprising was, that after being very specific with the waitress as to toppings (lettuce, tomato, etc.) the burgers arrived naked. What the chef (current line cook?) missed the waitress failed to check. C'mon people, this IS your business. Please pay attention. Also, unfortunately, the fried ridged "potato chips" are a real miss. They are too thick to be light, crispy potato chips (they threaten to break your teeth with a very hard crunch), and too thin to have a soft center with a crisp exterior. They need a good rethink. Interestingly my pork sandwich came with a Cesar's salad, which seemed odd. While there was nothing special in the bottled dressing, the home made croutons were light and nicely-if a bit gently-seasoned and really perked things up. Not so interesting was the wilted, turned lettuce bits which I left on the plate. In the end we left with serious doubts of returning, agreeing that this was the complete opposite of our past experiences.

I don't know what to say. I really want this place to succeed. This part of southern New Jersey is bereft of good independent eateries. It's either bad take-out pizza joints or chain restaurants that microwave almost everything to death. We have no cafe scene here, no food trucks, no passionate chef/owners. I would love for the Woodbury Station Cafe to be packed to the rafters with a line out the door, but until they get a serious handle on the kitchen and start turning out consistently high quality meals, that is not going to happen.

Prove me wrong, guys.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Cute cafe with average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Cute cafe with average luncheon fare. A little more innovation and better quality ingredients are needed to make this place more special.

Visited October 2012
NJ
“No longer open for dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

After we had a wonderful experience for dinner, the chef left. Now the cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch. Both are good in a charming setting.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Poor dinner experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Went with friends this past Saturday night for dinner. I have been anxious to try this place since it is local and have heard good things about their breakfast. However, I was very disappointed with the dinner. Everyone in our party was dissatisfied. Food was bland, menu was limited and explained by server in a very confusing manner, it took a long time for food to arrive even though the place was empty and in the end cost more than we thought. I'm not giving up completely on this place - will definitely try again, but this time for breakfast.

• Visited June 2012