“Short stops” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Paarl, South Africa
“Short stops”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Have been here a few times for a quick stop and light meal or something sweet. VERY interesting menu. The wild boar burger is something to comeback for.

Visited April 2013

Wellington, South Africa
“Staff and Bill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Unfriendely staff and incorrect bill. Lack of service and know professionalism. Will not visit them again this was really a bad day to experience.

Visited November 2012
Paarl, Western Cape, South Africa
“Little locavore country star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've been wanting to eat at Twist Some More for ages. I'd heard about it through friends who'd told me about the innovative menu and the chef/owners passion for discovering and using local producers and growers in his restaurant. As we were in Wellington visiting an amazing little shoe factory called Redemption, and it was a bright, warm winter day, we thought we'd do a lunch in the Boland town too.
Twist has a lovely, rustic feel about it. It's set in a former farm building and decorated with odds and ends that give it a lovely, relaxed character. Also in evidence is lots of locally produced foodie stuff. There are bottles of preserve, cordials from Wilde at Heart just up the road, wines, brandies and even an award-winning local whisky from Wellington. When you read the Chalk Board menu, plenty of local produce is in evidence too. What's remarkable is the absence of the usual beef, chicken and lamb. Instead, the menu features venison, particularly bush pig (grandly, but I suppose correctly referred to as wild boar). Bush pigs are the bane of local farmer's lives, destroying crops and such, so it looks like the chef Johan is helping out with that.
His wild boar burger is apparently famous, as is his innovation in the kitchen.
Our table ordered the burger, a venison pasta dish, and the wild boar piglet ravioli. The filling of the ravioli was perfectly cooked, but we all felt the pasta was too thick. The home made pasta with venison (Kudu I think) ragu and meatballs was very good, but the presentation a bit try-hard. It had rocket leaves displayed around it like daisy petals which I thought was awkward. If I'm in the country, at a local restaurant, I'm quite happy to be served a bowl of pasta and sauce. I'm already in beautiful surroundings, you don't need to fiddle with my plate to try to make it pretty. That burger. Again, very good flavour in the patty, but a slight disappointment in the presentation. The ratio of bread to patty was too high - the latter was adrift in ciabatta roll. The trimmings were also a little light. Two cubes of sharp local cheese and some coriander mayo are interesting, but it cannot end there for burgers. Tomatoes might have been out of season locally, but what about some pickles? I get the idea of making the Boar Burger patty the hero, but burgers are about generosity of ingredients and flavour.
Having said this the quaility and flavour of what we ate was very good. I'm nitpicking because I feel that such a lovely restaurant, in a great setting, based on an excellent philosophy of local sourcing, need not be self-conscious about the presentation of it's food. Using a Chalk Board for the menu so you can change it as different things become available locally is already a huge attraction. No need for spurious garnish.
We were there in the middle of winter, so Twist wasn't exactly buzzing. This meant that service was great and attentive without being intrusive. We had the run of the place which was great, but it was also enough to convince us that it mus be a fantastic spot for lunch in summer. So we can't wait to get back later in the year. Be good to see what the chef does with summer produce from the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Makes one really want to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The menu had something for everyone, light or bigger meals, meat or veg. The menu items looked so good it was almost too hard to make a choice but there were just enough items to not make it confusing to choose. It was real country cooking with a flair and so tasty too. The wine list selection is mainly from the Wellington area and as a seasoned wine drinker I did not feel restricted at all. The service was a big point and the chef coming round was a hospitable touch. Definitely recommendable.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town, Western Cape
“Never have I ever ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Found out about Twist one evening driving through town. The kitchen had closed but we were welcomed in to enjoy a beer none the less. Booked for fathers day this year after seeing the menu that evening.
We were seated in inside next to a sunny window, a welcome patch of warmth on a winters day. The interior has been refurbished really authentically rather than the standard modern revamp affair. Complete with old wooden furniture and original fireplace. I would recommend booking a table next to the fire place in winter and the outside seating in summer.
The place was packed but never the less, the chef came out and explained all the meals on the menu to use in beautiful detail (there is no standard menu, he works on availability). Every single dish is prepared from scratch in no time at all. I had the wild boar piglet ravioli on steamed cabbage with a ale and honey sauce, amazing! My mom had buffalo mozzarella wontons with sundried tomato mouse and a basil sauce - LIke a new take on the Caprese salad, that was also great. For mains my Dad enjoyed the Kudu steak on creamy mash with beans and a brandy sauce, that was also fantastic.
For desert Persian Orange cake with deep fried home made dark choc ice cream and a Van Der Hum syrup. WOW!
Everything is beautifully plated and served by attentive waitpersons.
We really couldn't believe our luck in finding this place. Will be returning soon, their breakfast menu looks great too.

Have eaten in many an upmarket restaurant and been very very disappointed, so many are overrated and over marketed.
Our bill with drinks and 3 courses came to R600 - an absolute bargain.

• 5 of 5 stars Food