“Quiet break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Hideaway

You added The Hideaway to your Saves list
The Hideaway
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   10 Hermanus Steyn Street, Swellendam 6740, South Africa   |
Ranked #10 of 34 Swellendam B&B and Inns
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Quiet break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Clues in the name for this tucked away very high quality guest house in Swellendam. We had a two night stopover on the Garden Route which, helped by a rainy day, was a nice antidote to being ‘on the road’. Stephen & Jacky were extremely attentive hosts & went out of their way to attend to us, the down side of which was that we never felt 100% relaxed! Despite this their dinner recommendations & generosity (free drinks) were excellent & we can see how they have gained their reputation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rotterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stephen and Jacky are totally dedicated hosts, making you feel welcome and no effort is too much for them, and their enthusiasm can almost be a bit overwhelming. They thoroughly know the region and the main activities and provide guests with lots of suggestions and - if necessary - itineraries. One of the unusual aspects of this place is that Stephen and Jacky invite all their guests for a pre-dinner drink, which encourages an exchange of ideas and experiences between guests that we have not seen before in a B&B environment. Breakfast is indeed outstanding, and the setting and gardens create a very relaxing atmosphere. Swellendam has some interesting places worth visiting, including the excellent 'Die Steg Gallery'. When travelling on, if you decide to follow the scenic route towards The Hook natural reserve via the old 'hand-drawn ferry', be prepared for a rather long drive on gravel roads and be sure to leave with a full fuel tank.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I echo the other sentiments when I say that The Hideaway is the best bed and breakfast I stayed in during my recent SA trip. From the time we checked-in, we were floored over by their hospitality. First we received recommendations on where to go in Swellendam (Bontebok National Park), then they took the liberty to make dinner reservations for us at Field & Fork (which was excellent). Not forgetting the pre-dinner wine we were invited to join them for their very nice garden. Finally, when we were leaving, Steve helped us plan a nice scenic route to our next destination, with some nice vineyard recommendations.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I really had a great laugh about my trip to the Hideaway.

Let me start at the beginning though - I have a new found appreciation for establishments which answer emails promptly since I recently had a run in with a place who almost NEVER responded to my emails. The owners of the Hideaway are VERY efficient with emails and bookings. It's a pleasure to book with them.

Then we arrived: Let me say firstly that valet parking is a service in which a person will park another person's car and retrieve it when called for. What you get at the Hideaway is a choice - either the proprietor parks your car in the driveway for you or it stands in the street. He doesn't seem to like anyone else parking cars in the driveway. I had a good laugh about the "valet service."

The rooms are spotless and we were given a fantastic cup of coffee upon arrival, which we appreciated.

The proprietor is extremely enthusiastic about Swellendam. He bulldozes you with all his enthusiasm. I always appreciate an explanation about the surrounding area but our lack of planning seemed to bother him tremendously and he seemed hellbent on knowing precisely what we had in mind so that he could suggest something better. It was a little exhausting.

The complimentary bar in each room is extremely refreshing. I have never been offered that before and it was lovely.

Every review on the Hideaway refers to the breakfasts. Everything that has been said already is true. It was the best breakfast I had throughout my whole garden route trip. Everything was freshly baked and in plentiful supply.

The only thing that spoiled my breakfast was being pestered by the proprietor to buy from his wife's shop. The products were lovely and, had I not already bought gifts for everyone I wanted to buy gifts for, I mat perhaps have bought from the shop. However, we didn't want to buy on that particular day and his reaction his disappointment was palpable. I really don't like to be forced into buying things.

The location of the Hideaway is perfect and the owners sent us to an excellent restaurant for dinner. Their knowledge of the area is really excellent.

Stephen and Jackie run a tight ship and I would like to recommend The Hideaway but I do think Stephen could relax a little bit with his advice. His overbearing assistance is the only thing preventing me from ticking "Very Good" instead of "Average". Bed and breakfast venues are very intimate so the owners can really affect your perception of the place.

Jackie was friendly and helpful throughout our stay. And her breakfasts - wow! Amazing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
JelsaySouthAfrica, Owner at The Hideaway, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for a very thoughtful and considered review. We would just like to explain the parking system. After rebuilding the retaining lip of the storm drain 3 times and more than one guest having had a coming together with the upright on the carport, we decided that it would be better and cheaper for all concerned if we assist guests with parking their cars on the property. Valet parking is probably the wrong word to use, managed parking might be better. We also believe that guests should be able to get their cars out when they want them, and because they can block each other in, a managed parking system is essential. As for the shop, I usually only mention it before printing out the bill so that any purchases can be added and we save some paper, but I must have got that wrong on this occasion! It is difficult not to be enthusiastic about Swellendam and the surrounding area, but I obviously came over too strongly and I apologise. i will take a less forward approach in the future. Once again, many thanks for the feedback, it is very valuable and both Jackie and I appreciate it immensely.
Driffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I think that The Hideaway is the best bed and breakfast that I have ever stayed in from the welcome when we arrived to the farewell as we left. The owners Stephen and Jackie, who are delightful, make sure that your every need is met and this is what makes The Hideaway exceptional.
A beautiful peaceful garden, tea on arrival, free internet, gorgeous bath fragrancies, beautiful bedrooms, pre dinner drinks, a lift to and from the local restaurant, cooked breakfast which includes home made muffins, breads and Winterberry jam, a bag was provided for any left over muffins to take with you (my husband was delighted)
Congratulations on winning the AA award for the top bed and breakfast in South Africa - you deserve it.

Room Tip: We had the bridle suite (though we have been married 40 years) which was delightful
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a gem of a place, the hosts Stephen and Jackie make a huge effort to make your stay special. the rooms are lovely and open onto the gardens. Don't hesitate to accept their recommendation of a local restaurant. Cristina, who is the culinary genius at La Sosta will cook you a meal you never forget. Fabulous food. An expansive breakfast set us up well for our continued journey. would stay here again if travelling through.

Stayed October 2012
Baden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I can only concur with the other reviewers of this wonderful B&B - they had just won the AA Award for the Top B&B in South Africa and it is easy to see why. From "valet parking" to booking a meal in the best restaurant in town (La Sosta, also rates a 5), a wonderful breakfast with homemade bread, muffins, jams, including a doggy bag for later, a very comfortable room with an ultramodern bathroom and lots of advice where to go and what to see. Certainly the one of best B&Bs of the 50 or so I've been in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Hideaway? Share your experiences!