“Nice and quiet” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 18 things to do in Swellendam
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Owner description: This picturesque camping area is a protected refuge for the rare bontebok, a South African antelope recognizable for its red coat and white face.
Den Haag
“Nice and quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Though you won't see any of the big five this is a lovely little national park. We've seen zebra's, bontebok, kudu and also many birds, tortoises and other small animals. The hiking trails are lovely. Just a lovely park for a day out.

Visited May 2014

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“A peaceful place for a couple of days”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

It wasn't until after we arrived that we discovered we would be locked in from 7pm each evening. We had to quickly dash into Swellendam for food supplies as there was very little in the shop at reception.
The cabins were in a lovely location and we were greeted by a mother and baby bontebok on the lawn outside our cabin. They weren't afraid and just carried on grazing.
I think we got one of the best of the cabins as we had shade on our deck all day, provided by a large tree, while many others were in full sun and too hot to spend much time on.
We spent most of our time sitting out and watching all the bird activity and we were lucky enough to have a pair of cape swallows nesting below the shelf next to the braille. They were flying in and out all day with food for their chicks.
One criticism is the chairs/loungers on the deck, whilst stylish to look at, were the most uncomfortable I have ever tried to relax on so I had to use the benches at the picnic tables.
Because of flooding the previous week, the area by the river was a bit of a mess but there were some lovely views of the river and mountains from there.
The cabin itself was very nice, well equipped and comfortable.
We did drive around the park but really we saw more bonteboks before arriving at reception than we did anywhere else in the park.
I was fortunate to see a cape cobra chase a small mammal from the bushes and catch it on the lawn 15 yards from where I sat on the deck. Very excited about that and I even got a photo of it before it went back under cover. I'm glad I didn't encounter it the previous day when I had made my way through those same bushes as I believe they are extremely venomous. Stick to the paths and open areas!
If it's peace and quiet you want for a couple of days to unwind, this is a good place for it but make sure you have all your food supplies with you and try to get a cabin with shade. I believe ours was number 9.

Visited January 2014
Exeter
“A day in the park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

A warm welcome and a helpful map at the lodge. We brought a picnic which we ate at a picnic site by the river. We had a swim after lunch and a leisurely drive round the park before sunset.

Visited April 2014
Urdorf, Switzerland
97 attraction reviews
“Nice, but not much to see”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We came back on purpose to visit this park. It is nicely kept, with plenty of opportunities to stop and shoot pictures. The main reason is the Bontebok, which you see everywhere. Besides, there are a few more other boks and zebra's (which we didn't see). For us the best view was actually at the neighbooring farm on the way out, where we saw for the first and only time Springboks.

Visited March 2014
Hampshire England
15 attraction reviews
“No animals”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We saw a few bonteboks in the fields on the way to the reception and that's all we saw. We paid our money and went into the park, but there were no animals. A great disappointment. My recommendation is don't bother.

Visited February 2014