“Bestfood!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Somerset West, South Africa
“Bestfood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I stopped by here for a most delicious meal. I found the prawns to be the best I've had in 5 years, more than comparable to any restaurant in Cape Town. This is a wonderful place, and we felt very much at home. Thanks Allen. You were most kind and generous

96% Recommend
Perth, Australia
“Good food, great host”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

On the way from Cape Town to George, we stopped at Swellendam for lunch. We decided to try Powell House Restaurant.
It was a rainy day, the restaurant was very quiet. When we walked in, there was only one table occupied, to be honest, I had a doubt about our choice. Suddenly we heard this very warm “Hello, welcome” from Alan who came out of inner section of the restaurant with a big smile on his face.
The restaurant’s setting is very homely and cosy. There is a beautiful garden at the back. The menu is not very extensive, but adequate.
We had some tea to start with, the shortbread came with the tea was to die for even for us (none of us have sweet tooth, we normally don’t eat any biscuits or sweets, it must be the rainy day made us try the tiny biscuit). Later I had smoked salmon salad, my partner had a chicken salad. They were both nice. Alan was such a nice host, warm but not intrusive. Cheryl came out talking to us as well. Overall, we had a very enjoyable lunch. I would recommend it to people who enjoy home cooking in a very nice family run restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“What an experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

What an incrdible restaurant, the ambiance is unbeleivable, the food is great and price is exceptional for the quality. the oners are an unbelievable couple always aiming to please.

This is an all in one restaurant
Rocco and Giovanna

Jhburg
“Hidden gem for reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I find myself returning to this favourite restaurant with a business colleague regularly because it is always consistently good & the prices relate to an inexpensive meal out!

For starters my colleague raved about the Avo & Tiger prawn salad while i had the Crocodile Carpaccio which i enjoyed for the first time! The red wine the owner Alan recommended was the top of the range Graham Beck Shiraz for only R155/Bottle!!
We then ordered for our main course the tender grilled Kudu fillet served with Vegetables & Jerepigo sauce along with the perfectly grilled 300 G Rump steak served with Onion rings, vegetables,Chips & monkey gland sauce for an amazing R110...what a bargain compared to the big city prices!
For desserts my colleague licked his lips on the Cassata with chocolate shards and i was tempted to order my old favourite Eton mess but decided to taste the huge fresh strawberries & Ice cream.....yummy!
This restaurant is a must for any SA businessman visiting this area of the western cape!

Richmond, Northern Cape, South Africa
“The best by far...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have had the honor to eat at the Powell House restaurant for 3 evenings. The food was of superior quality and well presented. The portions are more than enough and found myself rather eating after the taste than hunger. The death by chocolate is a must. As someone I know stated it "it should rather be called kiling me softly". Thank you Alan and Cheryl, you have truely made the experience one that I will share with family and friends. A big thumbs up and hope to taste your dishes again shortly!