“INCREDIBLE!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 84 Restaurants in Somerset West
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Founded in 1700, Lourensford Estate has married its historic heritage with a vision to be at the forefront of modern wine technology and a leader amongst South African Wine producers. Owner & Executive Chef, Bjorn Guido's cooking career started at The Greenhouse at Cellars-Hohenort under chef Peter Templehoff. He then moved abroad and joined Babington House, part of the SOHO HOUSE group under the renowned Ronnie Bonetti of River Cafe London. After gaining experience abroad, he returned home and took up the role of Head Chef at The Franschhoek Kitchen on the Holden Manz Wine Estate. Food provenance and sustainability are core to Millhouse's philosophy. The eatery's contemporary barn-conversion interior puts a modern twist on classic elements, featuring a mix of leather banquette seating and reclaimed timber walls. Bjorn's aim was to create a neighbourhood feel where guests can relax and enjoy each other's company. Watch as food is prepared in the expansive open kitchen and Italian style pizza's are delivered fresh from the wood fired oven.
“INCREDIBLE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We decided to visit the Millhouse kitchen based on the great reviews we heard from friends of ours. We went for lunch on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, the restaurant was buzzing and although the "fully booked" sign was on display, the manager proceeded to find us a great table. The waiting staff were all friendly and the whole vibe was great. I had the mushroom risotto to start which was superb, then the duck for main course which was extremely tender and exploded with flavour. We spent the rest of the afternoon drinking cocktails. It was truly an incredible experience and will be returning often. Well done to the entire team!!!

New York City, New York
“Very dissapointing .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Lovely setting but found the food either under cooked or over done. Staff didn't seem that interested in us so we left very dissaponted.
We have read other reviews and we wanted to give it ago and having been twice now it sadly doesn't get any better. Shame. We should have said something at the time but we didn't want to cause a fuss but on leaving a member of staff asked us to write a review on tripadvisor- so we have.
Give it a go if you want but be prepared to be dissaponted.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TheMILLHOUSEkitchen, Guest Relations Manager at The Millhouse Kitchen, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Sam

We are very disappointed to hear your comments. It is our aim to provide excellent food and service and this is not what you experienced. I do wish you brought the food and service issues up with the management at the time so that we could have rectified the problem & you could have had a better time. If the food was over or underdone we would have happily replaced it for you. Could you please let me know when it was that you were here?
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Family fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a perfect family spot in both summer and winter. The restaurant is divided into 3 sections - the front is glassed in and looks ver the water features and garden; the middle is perfect in winter as you have the fire; and the third section overlooks the back garden and kiddies play area. We sat in the middle on a cold winters day and it was perfect . I started with the mozzarella , clementine and butternut salad . Sounds odd but it was delicious. My husband had the beet root and goats cheese salad which he wolfed down. Our friend had the butternut soup which he said was good. For mains I had the line fish with citrus couscous. Let me first say I am not a fish lover and only eat it when I think I should be healthy. I found the fish too fishy for my liking but it was beautifully presented and grilled to perfection. My husband had the fillet. It was declared delicious . Our friend had the risotto which he said was good considering The Millhouse is not an Italian restaurant. Having said that I think we all should have had pizzas as they looked yummy and most were ordering that . For dessert we shared the ice cream trio and the choc mousse. . The peanut butter flavour icecream was amazing. The choc mousse ... I managed to steal a teaspoon full!
Please note if you are not fond of children , this spot is not for you.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
somerset west
“Winter delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family has just enjoyed exactly what you would expect from a cold winters day. Great food , great vibe. It was booked to capacity, so I feel for the patrons that could not get a seat
Well done to the Millhouse !

“What a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Welcomed on a cold day by amazingly friendly staff and great little fire. What to choose from the menu! I eventually settled for the lamb shank -super and ended with the apple crumble -yum. Families were well looked after and there was such a great atmosphere during lunch with a nice buzz and warmth. Will be back, will be our new best restuarant. Thanks for a great time.