“Being a businessman, I travel extensively. Zandberg is my favorite Hotel/Resort.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zandberg Country House

Save Saved
You added Zandberg Country House to your Saves list
Zandberg Country House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   96 Winery Road, Heldervue | Off R44 between Stellenbosch & Somerset West, Somerset West 7130, South Africa   |
Ranked #45 of 70 Somerset West B&B and Inns
Midrand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My Title above summerises my opinion of Zandberg. Very good value. Like it very much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Randburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My wife and three kids visited Zandberg Guesthouse during the World Cup this year and I have to say that we were more than pleasantly surprised. We wanted to come down from Jo'burg for a week and a friend of ours who had stayed at Zandberg last year recommended it to us. As we'd never heard of the place we were naturally a bit tentative, but it more than exceeded our expectations.

Firstly, the location: it really is beautiful. The views of the mountains and vineyards are breathtaking. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming and I could see that they all went that extra mile to ensure that our trip was memorable. They even had an on-site nanny to look after our kids while my wife and I went for dinner in nearby Stellenbosch.

The room we stayed in, the Garden Family Suite, was very spacious and comfortable, with a seperate bedroom for the kids. Both rooms also had TVs, which was nice. The unit was a self-catering unit with a stove and fridge, etc, but breakfast was also included in our rate. The breakfast was definitely world class, and dinner at the 96 Winery Road restaurant was also incredible. There is also a very nice spa on the premises that my wife and I visited for a massage (she got a full body massage and I got a deep-tissue massage).

And of course - since this was a wine farm - the wine was something truly special. The cabernet we had in our room was great (we even bought a case afterwrds), and we also sampled some of their "white merlot", which I was told was the first in the country.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend Zandberg to anyone looking to get away from it all - but not too far away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
portsmouth UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

The Zandberg Winery Estate is home to fantastic restaurant '96 Winery Road' which is thoroughly recommended. We booked a night's accommodation on the winery estate as a final night in SA after spending time in Cape Town. It was a welcome relief; total peace and quiet in a lovely setting.
Booking was easy over the internet and a very helpful Elaine handled our booking. We were shown to our 2 bedroom cottage on the edge of the estate, right on the edge of the vines! The cottage was more basic than I had imagined; it had two bedrooms, a bathroom and a kitchen. It slept 4, although there were only plates, glasses etc for 2 people. The upstairs room was in the eaves under thatch and got BOILING hot with only a fan to keep us cool. Downstairs an air cooler didn't fair much better! There was though a nice outside terrace to sip the wine and watch the sun go down. Towels in the bathroom also smelt a bit musty, like they'd been put away while still damp.
Breakfast was taken outside the breakfast room and it was a selection of fruits, meats, juices with eggs cooked to order. It was ok, and served its purpose. We did book a massage which is done by a mobile masseur in the cottage; she was very good and reasonably priced.
Overall I would recommend Zandberg for a break out of the city and for it's chill factor; however we only stayed 1 night and I felt that it was enough!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

This was a n enjoyable stay. We had a wonderful time at Zandberg. The location is great, the staff very friendly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I arrived at this hotel with two other friends, spoke to a very nice and helpful receptionist who rented us two rooms for 500 rand each. One room was for a single the other a double. The hotel was quite aware of this as the staff set up an extra bed in the double room. We paid and all was set. The following morning I went to reception to thank the staff and was greeted by a very rude owner who accused me of trying to not pay for the third guest. I stated that this had been agreed to but she insisted. I could have easily stood my ground and refused to pay but since I was not about to bring myself to this persons level and since I feared she may retaliate against the lovely staff I paid the extra money but I told her quite clearly I will post a review stating to all fellow travelers exactly what is happening here, she snickered. They are many lovely places to stay in the area there is no need to stay at this mediocre, tacky establishment that is run so dishonestly and where management clearly has no sense at all of customer service or hospitality. Please beware.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Londerzeel / Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

We had a wonderful time at Zandberg. The location is great, the staff very friendly. And not to forget: The famous 96 Winery Road Restaurant next to the lodge.

We had the garden cottage with view on the swimming pool . Absolutely awesome! What we really do not not understand is, why we were the only guests during 2 days.

The place to be when you're in the winelands.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Winchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

This property was a self catering unit, described as having two ensuite bedrooms. In fact there was a small room with twin beds without any hanging space and a bathroom designed to appeal to chidlren. The other 'bedroom' was a large bed in the livingroom. The place smelt of damp, lots of the towles had bleach marks on them and the fridge had not been cleaned or defrosted. It was rated as 4 star!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Zandberg Country House? Share your experiences!