“Poor location, average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH The Lord Charles

You added NH The Lord Charles to your Saves list
NH The Lord Charles
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Main Road (M9) & Broadway Boulevard (R44), Somerset West 7130, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Somerset West
Australia
“Poor location, average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is a hotel with pretensions of luxury but it's not competitive today. It's set out like a motel, with long walks to some rooms. There are few areas for quiet relaxation, only the lounge with is smack in the middle of the small lobby. The pool isn't heated, so abandoned in Winter. The grounds boast a tennis court (no one playing), a helipad (no helicopter) and a lake (which is a pond). The restaurants serve mediocre food, though the wine list is good. The internet connection is slow.

I found the staff quiet and efficient.

But this hotel is miles from anywhere. If you want to see anything you have to book a car to take you there and back again. 15 minutes to Stellenbosch, 45 minutes to Cape Town waterfront. And, as I have described, it's not a hotel you really want to hang around.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Louvain-al-Neuve
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I was on the way to write my experience at the NH Lord Charles when I ve just read the last comment: What a surprise as I have stayed a week in this hotel for the second year and just love this place. For me is the perfect place to go for business and in the meantime feel on holiday. The staff is extremly friendly and I really feel welcome every time I enter in the hotel. I cant complain about the bedroom cause compare to a lot of 4 stars hotels all over the world I think this is a great value for money. I was maybe lucky with the weather and then could enjoy a coffee sitting next to the swimming pool. The buffet breakfast has everything you can need to start a good day. Regarding the restaurant, it is true that there is also places around but I will for sure not recommend a KFC or even compare a KFC to the Lord charles restaurant.
Anyway, my experience was good and I will recommend the hotel to european traveler.
I send my regards to all the friendly staff of this hotel.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Yuck, yuck, yuck.....is what comes to mind regarding this hotel. I agree with the previous reviewer, it's impossible to shower without ending up having the bathroom floor with a one inch layer of water. It's incredibly dingy and depressing, and I would not stay here again - it's free because I'm here with a work function. But when I got to the room, I opened the welcome folder and there was a huge cockroach running around. I killed it, and one more small one came out from behind. Gross. I called the front desk and they said someone would come from maintenance, though I don't know what they would have done. Sprayed? No one came, and when I moved the pillows from the bed to prop up against the headboard, I saw a black caterpillar curled up underneath.

Counting the hours until I can leave this crappy hotel - as I said earlier, yuck, yuck, yuck.....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

The Grounds and gardens are well kept , spacious, beautiful lawns and a small lake, and a long driveway up to the front of the hotel enable you to appreciate the grounds.
The lobby is dark, dingy and in need of either a deep clean or refurbishment. We checked in rather slowly, it took 3 staff to do the job and none were very friendly, in actual fact i felt i was in the way and had disturbed them.
Behind the check in area, which incidentally are office desks with a P.C on, is a large seating area, with comfy sofas.
We made our way to the room, up 2 flight of stairs, no lifts here as it is only 2 floors.
At first the key didn't work so back down to the reception for them to make the keycard work.
Back to the room and we got in, this was a room that had not been refurbished and, yuk, it was minging, not cleaned to a high standard, bits on the floor under the chair, black mould in the bathroom, light bulb not working, but one thing that shocked me was the universal plug in the wall was very loose and i felt i would be electrocuted just by touching it so i kept away from it. When i requested an adaptor so i could use my UK plug i was met with a firm 'NO'.
There is a kettle with some tea and coffee. The TV had few channels, about 7, 3 are sport! The room was dark, and just grubby, nice big bed but the mattress was so soft i had a bad back the next day. No ironing board in room, so a trek to the end of a corridor to use a communal one!
Bathroom toiletries are a waste of time, 2 small pieces of soap, shampoo and sponge and......... i couldnt have a shower without soaking the whole bathroom floor, the shower screen was not effective at all.
The golf themed bar is very very dreary, mostly staff watching the TV, thankfully i got talking to an airline crew that stay here who were really nice and good fun and gave me all the info on where to go, what to do - something the hotel itself couldnt tell me, and the restaurant was expensive for what you got, although the food was ok.
Across the road is a small shopping area with KFC, supermarket so you don't really have to use the hotel i f you dont want to.
The hotel pool is the size of a kiddies paddling pool. Internet is available in rooms, but very slow, i think its quicker to use a carrier pigeon, plus the hotel uses a funny system of buying vouchers to use it.
Hotel location a bit isolated. i have stayed a 3 times here in total, some business, some holiday, i have stayed in rooms that have been refurbished, and that haven't. It gets tattier though and i'm afraid i would not recommend it now and would not stay here again.The hotel seems to think they are something special, but there are better value hotel in the area with better facilities.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
lordcharles9, Manager at NH The Lord Charles, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write the review.

We responded after your review was received and will follow up with Trip Advisor on the reason it was not posted.

NH The Lord Charles Hotel hosts many prestigious conferences and guests from around the world. We have "long-staying" International guests that visit us annually and stay with us between 2 weeks and 2 months at a time. Some of these guests have been visiting us for over 10 years and have become part of our "NH Family." Service excellence is what NH stands for.

We take your review very seriously and will definitely look into the areas of concern.

Warmest regards,
Management
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

My husband and I recently booked the Lord Charles Hotel to attend a conference held at the hotel. Our first impression was that the lobby needed refurbishing, we couldn't check in at 2pm and were told to wait for 45 minutes. When we got to our suite (2103) it was great, lovely clean spacious rooms, big comfortable king bed (2 toilets!). The lounge had a desk and 2 couches, balcony and lovely view of the lawns and mini dam. Then we got complimentary wine and snacks and an apology from the Manager explaining that the laundry service had a glitch that morning. The restaurant was good, a Virgin Active gym right opposite the hotel, all in all a great place to stay and we would go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to NH The Lord Charles? Share your experiences!